The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."!

+31
de_Selby
Irishhoneymonster
GunsGerms
Brendan
Gibson
eirebilly
LeinsterFan4life
Hound_of_Harrow
SecretFly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
whocares
Morgannwg
Feckless Rogue
Pot Hale
asoreleftshoulder
mystiroakey
Geordie
gregortree
anotherworldofpain
disneychilly
chewed_mintie
bathmad
yappysnap
mowgli
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
nganboy
rodders
blackcanelion
Taylorman
maestegmafia
35 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."! Empty Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 03 Oct 2012, 9:19 pm

By Paul Ackford

The reason is simple. Both outfits are set up to play, which sounds simple, but isn’t. It requires intention, fitness, understanding, organisation, unbelievably high skill sets across the entire squad, a positive attitude to risk, and courage. It also assumes a commitment to be multidimensional in approach rather than the one-trick pony nonsense which some teams get by on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9576371/England-must-look-to-the-flair-players-if-they-want-to-mix-it-with-the-All-Blacks-at-rugbys-top-table.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."! Empty Re: Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm

I thought this article was very interesting, the same rules apply to al our teams whoever we support club or country.

Leinster may not have had the best start to the year but they are suffering a good number of injuries and are debilitated because of this.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."! Empty Re: Paul Ackford says "The best two teams in the world at the moment? No debate. New Zealand and Leinster. The rest are playing catch-up..."!

Post by Taylorman Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

Odd comparison...what about the Chiefs?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:16 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with his assessment of what he thinks the current formula is, but:

Is Leinster head and shoulders above other provinces/clubs. I wouldn't rate them above the top super 15 sides, I'm not convinced they are equal. I'm sure some fans would debate the assessment in Europe as well (despite their Heinekin Cup triumph).

I think the world cup is to far away to tell what skills and plans will win. We have law changes this year, as well as a bunch of new coaches. My feeling is the powers that be are happy to encourage a much tighter game, where penalties, and therefore, referees interpretation will greatly affect the outcome.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 03 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm

Sure Connacht battered Leinster at the weekend there. What planet is this guy on?....... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:19 am

rodders wrote:Sure Connacht battered Leinster at the weekend there. What planet is this guy on?....... Smile

Read the Article

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:58 am

I think it means
NZ- best international team in the world
Leinster - best club team in England.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:02 am

I think it means
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Oct 2012, 1:10 am

nganboy wrote:I think it means

You might want to edit that after googling Leinster...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:45 am

Nga

I think its a province, like waikato.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:54 am

and I think Erm its in Ireland...gaw us kiwi's are quik!

(At least thats what the NZCoach gps-ometer is saying where Schmidt is at the mo...) Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:15 am

taylorman

Dont tell anyone, but until i came onto 606 v2, I always thought Leinster was in England, I was confusing it with another place with a very similar name.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:02 am

man do I feel bad - sadly I know both those things and managed to send it twice.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:11 am

The best spreads for toast? Orange marmelade and peanut butter. No debate.

Well hang on, what about strawberry jam...

No, sorry. No debate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:26 am

Vegemite - end of.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Thu 04 Oct 2012, 6:52 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
taylorman

Dont tell anyone, but until i came onto 606 v2, I always thought Leinster was in England, I was confusing it with another place with a very similar name.

Colonials picard

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:00 am

Well to be fair Leicester and Leinster have very little difference in pronunciation.

What's the difference between Worcestershire sauce and Gloucestershire sauce apart from one exists and the other doesn't?

I have heard some people in Europe claim that Sydney and Auckland are the respective capitals of Australia and NZ. That is indeed if they realise the two countries are separate.

It's all marketing nowadays. The two teams Ackford mentions have integration and innovation at their core but the rest are playing catch up contradict the latter idea. In order to innovate, you don't play catch up. You find a new way. Imitating NZ and Leinster is not the solution. Finding a balanced approach that works best for the resources you have is the solution. And then branding that as the benchmark for all other teams to follow so you remain one step ahead. That's what Leinster or Leicester need to spend more time on if they're being confused.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:56 am

He is right.

NZ are consistantly the best team in the world at Int level. Leinster are consistently the best team at European level.

Chiefs, Crusaders, Reds, Blues etc have all peaked and plummeted over the seasons. Consistency is king.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:04 am

Always enjoy Ackford's columns, and once again, can't argue with much he says in there.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:The best spreads for toast? Orange marmelade and peanut butter. No debate.

Well hang on, what about strawberry jam...

No, sorry. No debate.

Try Marmite avec jambon. Well good....my mother got me on to it as a young’un in NZ now my son has it on his toast too!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

yappysnap wrote:He is right.

NZ are consistantly the best team in the world at Int level. Leinster are consistently the best team at European level.

Chiefs, Crusaders, Reds, Blues etc have all peaked and plummeted over the seasons. Consistency is king.

One of these teams just don’t belong here, one of these teams just isn’t the same....

Consistency? Crusaders have consistency in quantities which no other team on the planet can possess. They have consistently won titles and they have consistently made semi finals. They consistently produce top notch players (or scout...whatever your view is). The other teams in this list have in the past been about as consistent as a dodgy stomach. Yes they’ve won titles but apart from the first 2 yrs of the comp (Blues), none of the 3 has dominated the competition like the Crusaders.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:20 am

ProMite with a slice of tomato on toast with melted grilled cheese...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:26 am

Hot tomato in a toasted sandwich is the hottest substance known to man. It attaches itself to the roof of your mouth or your top lip and burns. The US used it in Vietnam.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

Try the jam from a heated donut. It's banned in 45 different countries and trying to eat one is considered a crime against nature.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 04 Oct 2012, 11:56 am

But the jam's heat can be controlled by puncturing a hole in the doughnut. The same cannot be said for the tomato. Through its skin, it retains its heat like a thermos and has the added danger of being able to attach itself like the alien in the ALIENS saga without being able to be taken off. Be afraid.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 04 Oct 2012, 12:45 pm

Ouch. I just imagined some evil b@stards going to La Tomatina armed with a microwave and a catapult.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:46 pm

Of all the history of outrageous unjustifiable self-aggrandisement that has ever come from the NH, comparing Leinster to the All Blacks absolutely takes the doughnut.

You can't even be outraged. It's simply hilarious.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:53 pm

AWOP
No need to kill yourself with hysterical laughter / outrage.
I think PA's point is more of an analogy than a comparison. self aggrandisement ? wtf ?
Point is they are both best 'teams' in their respective ponds.... in his opinion.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 04 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

Let's start with the fact that the Leinster argument is unfounded because their "pond" is limited.

For instance, the Sharks, Bulls, Crusaders, Chiefs don't get to destroy them by 40 points once per year to remind everyone they are big fish in a little pond...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well to be fair Leicester and Leinster have very little difference in pronunciation.

What's the difference between Worcestershire sauce and Gloucestershire sauce apart from one exists and the other doesn't?

I have heard some people in Europe claim that Sydney and Auckland are the respective capitals of Australia and NZ. That is indeed if they realise the two countries are separate.

It's all marketing nowadays. The two teams Ackford mentions have integration and innovation at their core but the rest are playing catch up contradict the latter idea. In order to innovate, you don't play catch up. You find a new way. Imitating NZ and Leinster is not the solution. Finding a balanced approach that works best for the resources you have is the solution. And then branding that as the benchmark for all other teams to follow so you remain one step ahead. That's what Leinster or Leicester need to spend more time on if they're being confused.

Nah mate we all know its Wagga Wagga... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

Leinster in England- lols

I understand the confusion- they are a good team- It would be natural for them to be part of the green and pleasant land. But no they are not

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:14 pm

maestegmafia wrote:ProMite with a slice of tomato on toast with melted grilled cheese...

what is promite! the welsh marmite!!- anyway you just need worster sauce

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

But yes Marmalade is by far the best spread for toast!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

Nah Honey is best..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:21 pm

By the way . I really hope Kia doesnt have marmalade and peanut butter at the same time!

But then thats a kinda american thing to do isnt it- PJ sarnies- gross

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

Peanut Butter (crunchy!!) and jam on toast is the food of kings, do not ever discount it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:28 pm

vomit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

Philadelphia cheese & chorizo toastie, plus rocket/pepper

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Oct 2012, 4:43 pm

Jam is to sweet for my liking- love bitter marmalade.. Mozerella is the way forward for a med style toasty

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Of all the history of outrageous unjustifiable self-aggrandisement that has ever come from the NH, comparing Leinster to the All Blacks absolutely takes the doughnut.

Where has anyone compared Leinster to the All Blacks,you need to keep working on your English if you interpret it that way.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 04 Oct 2012, 7:46 pm

It can only be crunchy yappy. Smooth or medium is for people who wax or shave. Plus savoury and sweet is a classic example. Goose liver and jam, peanut butter and banana or honey. Don't knock it until you try it. Marmelade and peanut butter on the other hand is asking for trouble.

Med style is tomato and olive oil.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

savoury: Vegemite and Tasty cheese on toast. yum.

Sweet: Crunchy peanut butter and golden syrup on toast, double yum.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:53 pm

It must have been awful confusing for New Zealanders when Leinster played Leicester in the Heineken Cup final in Edinburgh a few years ago.

"Why are an English team playing against themselves in Scotland for a European Cup?"

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 04 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

The comparison between Leinster and the All Blacks isn't new. It's been mentioned by pundits for the last two and a bit years. Since Schmidt took over they've gone to another level. They're reminiscent of the All Blacks in terms of the style of total rugby they play. They're the one European team that looks like a Kiwi team in how they play. Not surprising since their entire coaching team are Kiwi's.

That's not to say they're as good as the All Blacks. That's ridiculous. And when it comes to talking about how they'd do against SH teams, it's impossible to know. They can only really be looked at in terms of European rugby. Because there's no international club competition to measure them. I think they'd do quite well personally.

There are some worrying signs of a dip in Leinster rugby this year. We'll see if the comparison with the All Blacks continues and they maintain a very high standard year in year out. They've only lost one knockout HC match in 4 years. Against Toulouse in Toulouse. Which is incredible consistency. No team can keep that up. But the All Blacks really never dip below a certain standard. I hope Leinster can be same.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

Nutella is the best spread on toast.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:02 pm

Great post Feckless OK guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:10 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Of all the history of outrageous unjustifiable self-aggrandisement that has ever come from the NH, comparing Leinster to the All Blacks absolutely takes the doughnut.

Where has anyone compared Leinster to the All Blacks,you need to keep working on your English if you interpret it that way.

Ok then, well at least it is cringingly parrochial to take something as localised as Leinster and making a sweeping comparison with the global benchmark.

It's like me comparing my new flower planter with the hanging gardens of babylon.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:14 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Ok then, well at least it is cringingly parrochial to take something as localised as Leinster and making a sweeping comparison with the global benchmark.

It's like me comparing my new flower planter with the hanging gardens of babylon.

Your flower planter has won the highest award in European gardening 3 out of the last 4 years?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:16 pm

If it had, would you consider it worthy of comparison?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 04 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

Pot Hale wrote:It must have been awful confusing for New Zealanders when Leinster played Leicester in the Heineken Cup final in Edinburgh a few years ago.

"Why are an English team playing against themselves in Scotland for a European Cup?"

Nah not confusing at all, you guys do some pretty crazy things at the best of times.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next