The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now?

3 posters

Go down

If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now would he be as success as he was in the 1980s?

If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Vote_lcap19%If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 4 ]
If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Vote_lcap71%If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 15 ]
If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Vote_lcap10%If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 21

If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Empty If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now?

Post by talkingpoint Mon 18 Apr 2011, 5:17 pm

Obviously this is a purely hypothetical question and sort of goes down the counterfactual route, but I want to know if Hogan was in his prime in 2011 would he be as big, as popular and as successful as he was in the 1980s? My feeling is that he wouldn't! My reasons: wrestling is less popular today than it was 20 years ago - many things have led to this namely the meteoric rise of the UFC. I do not think Hogan would be the household name he was in the '80s. Take Cena for example - he is a very similar case: not the most talented in the ring but has that elusive 'X' factor that the WWE look for, making him a cash cow for the company. Hogan and Cena are cut from the same cloth as the expression goes, yet Cena is not on the same level Hogan was in his prime. Secondly WWE is currently PG and its demographic has shifted to families and children. This is very similar to the type of product the WWE put out in the '80s before the hardcore revolution of the attitude era and influence of the ECW. The difference to today, however, is that now people have a choice and an alternative in the UFC. In the '80s people didn't have that choice and so with the lack of competition enjoyed more success. Then there is the issue of product saturation or overkill - people are much quicker to become jaded to the industry now that you have two shows per week plus a PPV every 4 weeks or so. I think people would be much quicker to criticise Hogan today and would probably complain that his 'character' was stale like Orton or Cena.

However I'm sure some people would disagree with me! Thoughts?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Empty Re: If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now?

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 5:58 pm

I voted 'no' for all the reasons you listed above. Wrestling's changed so much that Hogan wouldn't be half the star he was in his heyday.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now? Empty Re: If Hulk Hogan was in his prime now?

Post by Brady12 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:05 pm

I voted yes for the simple fact that you can't doubt the mans charisma & ability to self promote... Hogan, McMahon & cable tv are the 3 biggest reasons that wrestling took off & became a global entertianment brand....

The guys who've voted no I think you have very short memories... The guy played 2 completely different characters in two complete different eras yet he was the biggest draw in the 80's & until Austin he was the biggest draw in the 90's....

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:03 pm

I don't think its short term memories - I think circumstances today are very different to the 80s and 90s. I'm not denying his popularity or his drawing power but they were different eras both in wrestling and in sport in general.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

Of course circumstances are different.... If Hulk Hogan hadn't of been around then maybe wrestling would be still in the territorial system & stuck in dingy smoke infested Bingo Halls.... Great performers & entertianers can make it in any era. Love him hate him or loath what he has become I think it's very hard to dismiss he's influence on the business & to effectively say he was in the 'right place at right time' is doing the guy a complete diservice

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down