The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session

+8
mystiroakey
Belgarion of Riva
monty junior
GSC
Trebs
SteveG
Critical_mass
Fernando
12 posters

Go down

Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session  Empty Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session

Post by Fernando Fri 05 Oct 2012, 3:14 pm

After the bright lights of the Singapore Grand Prix and a win for Sebastian Vettel that reignites the defending champion’s challenge for the 2012 drivers’ title, Formula One continues its Far-Eastern trek with a visit to one of the sport’s truly classic circuits – Suzuka in Japan.

Designed by John Hugenholtz, the superb figure-8 circuit is the only one of its kind on the calendar and is this year celebrating its 50th anniversary. In that time it has seen some remarkable races and as the battle for both the Constructors’ and Drivers’ Championships hots up, this year is sure to be no exception.

Suzuka sets a stern challenge for both man and machine. Featuring a blend of low, medium and high-speed turns, as well rapid changes of direction, it’s not only a thrilling lap for the drivers but also a huge technical challenge and hooking up a perfect lap here is a feat that often separates the great from the merely good. That challenge extends to the engineers too. Setting up a car to cope with the swift changes of direction through the “Esses”, the long arcs of the Dunlop and Spoon curves, the high-speed blast of the fearsome 130R and the heavy-braking, slow-speed hairpin and Casio Triangle chicane is a complex task and, again, making the right compromises at the right time marks the difference between a good and a great weekend.

Sebastian Vettel experienced one of those great weekends last year. The German may have raced to third from pole but the podium finish handed him a second title. A year on and the Red Bull Racing driver is now firmly back in contention for a third crown after winning in Singapore a fortnight ago. The victory sees him arrive in Japan just 29 points behind championship leader Fernando Alonso who has 194 points. In the Constructors’ Championship Red Bull continue to lead, with 297 points, though their lead over McLaren has been chopped from 53 points after the Hungarian GP to just 36 points as we head into Round 15 of the 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship.

CIRCUIT DATA

SUZUKA CIRCUIT

Length of lap:

5.807km

Lap record:

1:31.540

(Kimi Raikkonen,

McLaren, 2005)

Start line/finish line offset:
0.300km
Total number of race laps:
Total race distance:

307.471km
Pitlane speed limits:
60km/h during practice and qualifying, 100km/h during the race

Changes to the circuit since 2011
► The whole West Course (from turn 7 until after the chicane) has been resurfaced.
► New storm water drainage systems have been installed around the newly resurfaced section of track.

DRS Zone
► The DRS Zone is 20m shorter this year. The detection zone is 50m before Turn 16 and the activation zone is at the Control Line after Turn 18.

Japanese GP
Fast Facts

► Pirelli will this weekend bring its Silver-banded Hard tyre and the Yellow-striped Soft compound. Both variants offer pace but more importantly they have the durability needed for what is quite an abrasive track surface.
► Of the 27 Japanese Grands Prix held to date, Suzuka has hosted all but four. The first two were held at the Fuji International Speedway, as were the 2007-’08 races, but then Fuji owners Toyota pulled out of hosting the event and the race returned to its spiritual home of Suzuka.

► Michael Schumacher is without doubt the most successful driver here with a staggering six Japanese Grand Prix wins (1995, ’97, 2000-’02 and 2004) to his credit. His nearest rivals are all stuck on two wins apiece. Double winners include Gerhard Berger, Ayrton Senna, Damon Hill and Mika Hakkinen. From the current grid Fernando Alonso (2006, ’08) and Sebastian Vettel (2009-’10) have also won twice here.
► The Japanese Grand Prix hasn’t been a particularly happy hunting ground for home-grown drivers, however. Over the course of 27 races, Japanese drivers have scored just 22 points. Satoru Nakajima finished sixth in 1987 and 1989 to bag a total of two points under the scoring rules in effect at the time. Aguri Suzuki became the first Japanese driver on the podium in 1990, taking four points for the third place under the same rules and Kamui Kobayashi grabbed six points under the current scoring rules with seventh place in 2010. Takuma Sato is the country’s most consistently successful racer at this race, finishing fifth in 2002, sixth in 2003 and fourth in 2004 for a total of 10 points.
► The 1989 race is remembered as one of F1’s most controversial. A tumultuous rivalry between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost reached boiling point here when the pair collided at the final chicane. Prost was forced to retire, while Senna kept going. He overhauled Alessandro Nannini for the lead and claimed victory. The Brazilian was, however, disqualified afterwards for missing the chicane and Prost won the title, much to Senna’s disgust. It was Nannini’s only F1 win.
► The feud between the pair continued the following year, only this time the collision occurred at turn one. The accident handed the Brazilian his second world title.
► The first Japanese team to take part in its home race wasn’t a big gun such as Honda but the tiny privateer outfit Kojima, which lined up for the inaugural race at Fuji in 1976. The car, the KE007, was driven by Masahiro Hasemi and the team finished 11th. Compatriot outfit Maki had attempted to start grands prix before but had never succeeded in qualifying for a championship round. That pattern continue at Fuji in ’76 when Tony Trimmer failed to qualify its F102A car. It was the team’s final Formula One event.

Source: FIA

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session  Empty Re: Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session

Post by Critical_mass Fri 05 Oct 2012, 6:17 pm

I wish Vettel would keep the same helmet for a whole season. Really annoys me. The helmet identifies the driver. A one off change fair enough, like button did for Suzuka last year. But Vettel its every other race.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session  Empty Re: Japanese GP Thread - Will Contain spoilers of every session

Post by Guest Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:32 pm

Ferrari looks off pace and Alonso seems worried. Chance to really reduce that gap on the championship leader this weekend. I think Vettel has a real chance of winning his third title every time I think about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:52 am

Terrible day at the office for Hamilton - over a second off the pace in Q3. Even if can't dial the car in it should be tenths not seconds for a driver of Hamiltons capabilities. What happend to total focus on winning the last 6 races. Whats going on?? Game over me thinks.

Worse is Red Bull have the pace again by a considerable margin (you always know that when Webber is doing the biz). Can't see any other result tomorrow but a Vettle win. Can't see much overtaking either. In fact just gonna sky+ it and have a lie in.

Last edited by SteveG on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:59 am

Anyone know where I can watch the F1 highlights online? I know it's on the BBC later but is there anything beforehand?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:55 am

SteveG wrote:Terrible day at the office for Hamilton - over a second off the pace in Q3. Even if can't dial the car in it should be tenths not seconds for a driver of Hamiltons capabilities. What happend to total focus on winning the last 6 races. Whats going on?? Game over me thinks.

Worse is Red Bull have the pace again by a considerable margin (you always know that when Webber is doing the biz). Can't see any other result tomorrow but a Vettle win. Can't see much overtaking either. In fact just gonna sky+ it and have a lie in.

I can't say I'm surprised, for all the talk, what motivation is there for Hamilton's side of the garage
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:56 am

And yeah, and GP with Vettel on pole is pretty much guaranteed to be a bore fest at the front
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

Shocking performance. Nothing surprises me about this with Hamilton and McLaren after this weeks events. Vettel will stroll this, how can Webber attack when he will be getting the slow down over the radio as soon as he comes close, if he gets close. I watch every race but the idea of using Sky+ on this race and watching the damage limitation unfold on Sunday morning may be a better bet. Such a letdown.

Vettel is all over this title and people thought Alonso had it in the bag.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Sat 06 Oct 2012, 11:55 am

Vettel will win the race, no doubt.
Hopefully Alonso can make the podium, which looks a good possibility, second place would be a fantastic result. As for Hamilton and Button, I'd expect them both to make the top five.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm

McLaren and Hamilton got greedy. They had a good setup in practice but because they knew they were behind Red Bull they gambled and changed. It's totally blown up in their faces and made them go significantly backwards. It does actually worry me that Lewis is wanting or is showing more interest in the technical side of F1 and is possibly a reason why he wants to go to mercedes and build the team up. However, I actually don't think he's that good at it at all, he's a racer first and foremost and on a number of occassions this season, he's interviened and actually made his car worse.

Title more than fading for Lewis and there's alot of negativity around his move to Mercedes aswell, even from himself. Lewis could be next challenging for a title in 2014.......... At the very least a podium is needed for Lewis and Alonso to DNF. Vettel will stroll this unless the mechanical issues that have plagued him return.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sat 06 Oct 2012, 1:15 pm

John wrote:and there's alot of negativity around his move to Mercedes aswell, even from himself
I hope that doesn't mean he's been backed into a corner (effectively pushed) - which some people believe. It seems that his heart told him to go but his head still has doubts. Despite all the talk of being professional the dynamics with his team have obviously changed and have definately played a part in todays result and perhaps the enormity of the move is starting to sink in. However I believe that once he's actually up and running at Merc he'll overcome those doubts and become better for it - even if it takes a couple of years.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 1:31 pm

I'm not sure if he's actually started listening to his haters or the people who have slated him over the years. I mean he talks to Lauda and joins Mercedes but also I remember other people including Nigel Mansell slating Hamilton in the past and telling him he's had it easy in F1 just jumping into a top team and challenging for titles, where other drivers have had the tough road into F1 and been fighting at the back etc. It's like Hamilton has decided to listen to this and try and attempt to follow the Schumacher route of taking a non-title winning car/team into an F1 force and with it will come more recognition and respect from within the sport and the paddock in doing so, rather than staying with the easy option of McLaren.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sat 06 Oct 2012, 2:15 pm

Strange Button is now beating Lewis in quali - very odd that isnt it. As soon as Lewis announces his plan to leave, Button is doing better. Could be coincidence, just very oddly timed coincidence.

John - people will still knock lewis for doing that, Lewis cannot do right for doing wrong with these people.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sat 06 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

RB - 1,2 tomorrow without a doubt. Vettel closin the gap to alonso on the wdc standings.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 06 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

And so the stupid conspiracy theories begin for the final races egg

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sat 06 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

monty junior wrote:And so the stupid conspiracy theories begin for the final races egg

Go learn the difference between a conspiracy theory and observation. picard

If you knew, that you'd have realised that was an observation. Rolling Eyes Plus i did say could be coincidence albeit a timely one.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

Button's targetting a Japan GP win.............

Still undecided on the Sky+ Vettel domination OR actually get up and watch the McLaren charge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:03 pm

By Hamilton's lack of optimism due to setup change it's going to be a 1 man Mclaren charge

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:03 pm

Fernando Alonso says Lewis Hamilton has made the right choice in leaving McLaren for Mercedes next year.

The Ferrari driver said McLaren, for whom he drove in 2007, have not been as successful as they would have liked.

He said: "For Lewis, it is good to move on. From McLaren, [Alain] Prost was going out, [Ayrton] Senna, me, normally for a better life, a good change.

"McLaren is 14 years without winning a constructors' championship, most of these sometimes with the best car."

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Oct 2012, 9:10 pm

Fernando wrote:By Hamilton's lack of optimism due to setup change it's going to be a 1 man Mclaren charge

Hamilton is fighting for a championship, he'll drive the wheels off that thing if he has too. I've decided to get up at 6.50am to watch this procession Very Happy

Hopefully a safety car can spice things up if Vettel bolts away.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 6:58 am

Ok about to kick off.. Come on Mclarean ! i am just randomly up- Result

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:43 am

Vettel must now be favourite to add title number 3 in a row.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:45 am

yeah not happy about that..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by harryspiv Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:54 am

Well that was a huge swing in the championship, I'm afraid to say it now but it's now a 2 horse race between Alonso and the finger...but that's only if Ferrari can improve their car otherwise Vettel will run away with it!

Other than that it was a pretty poor spectacle. Mclaren didn't have the pace at all, Grojean clearly hasn't learnt his lesson, if I were the steward I would have black flagged him, clearly nonsensical how he thinks he can just ram people off the road. He probably cost webber 18-15 points with that stupidity.

Good to see Massa back on the podium he drove his boots off, of course special mention has to go to Kobayashi, a podium in his home Grand Prix and the fans were brilliant too!

harryspiv

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 8:56 am

It has been the most frustrating year i can remember..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:11 am

With so many different winners, it has been a very good year in F1. What do you guys want?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:17 am

Frustration for me because i support the brit drivers first and formost. LH for me has driven expetionally well. Mclarean has also had a very good car. Yet it seems there has been alot of bad decisions, type changes etc that has cost them.

Still love a race- but this has been memorably frustrating for me

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:27 am

I think Hamilton and Raikkonen are the type of drivers who are very fast and have a natural talent for car control but they are not team players and don't understand how to set up a car, look after it and its tyres and be tactical aware. I think Button, Vettel and Alonso are better all round drivers and probably more successful because of that. It is a team sport after all.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

lorus59 wrote:I think Hamilton and Raikkonen are the type of drivers who are very fast and have a natural talent for car control but they are not team players and don't understand how to set up a car, look after it and its tyres and be tactical aware. I think Button, Vettel and Alonso are better all round drivers and probably more successful because of that. It is a team sport after all.

How you can add Button to that list is baffling. Can you please explain to me how more successful Button is compared to Raikkonen and Hamilton. Raikkonen and Hamilton have been superb this season, making the most of their strategies and tyres. Button was good last year because everyone was struggling with tyres but now that people understand them, he's nowhere.

When you explain how Button is more successful than Raikkonen and Hamilton, can you also please explain what makes Alonso a team player, same with Vettel.

I'm amazed how you've come to that conclusion

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 07 Oct 2012, 11:39 am

WOW what a turn around and i too have to say i think Vettel could take this WDC.

Excellent result for Massa and for Kobayashi, very well done to them, but will it be enough for them to keep their seats.

Lewis struggling all weekend with car setup Sad

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:20 pm

All this one driver is good Wuthering set up and another isn't is surely unfounded. Nine of us know. However Lh has for my money been the best driver this season.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:21 pm

I'm not sure any one driver has been the best.

If I had to pick one, then probs Alonso for consistency in the 3rd/4th best car at times
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun 07 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Largely uneventful race. Hamilton gets his setup horribly wrong, Alonso gets taken out at the first corner and Vettel walks off with 25 points in his sky rocket. That's Sebastian Vettel - 3 time world champion (probably) with Lewis Hamilton still stuck on 1. It's just so wrong!

Great drive from Massa and good recovery drive from Webber who would certainly have made the podium (was he told not to challenge his teamate into the 1st corner and as a result also lost second place. Just a thought).

Final word goes to Kobayashi - great to see him on the podium and with Perez moving on must surely now have secured his seat.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 07 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

I'm struggling to remember a Vettel RB win that hasn't been the exact same formula for success.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 07 Oct 2012, 7:08 pm

was sad to see Alonso go out so early but happy for Massa/Koba

hope Ferrari can pick up the pace from here and lead Alonso to the championship but have a feeling we will see the same events as before where Vettel will pimp him to the title

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

Looks like Newey pulled another engineering rabbit out of his hat at Suzuka. From being on a par with McLaren and Ferrari, Red Bull suddenly looked as dominant as they have been for the last couple of seasons (you know RB are in good form when Webber qualifies on the front row).

Could have been an interesting race but was spoiled early on with the first lap incidents. Big shame for Webber and Alonso (more so for Fernando I guess). Would have liked to see if Mark could have kept pace with his team mate. Fairly standard lights-to-flag race for Vettel - only car issues could have prevented his win. Good comeback drive from Webber after being shunted by Grosjean on the opening lap, but he struggled once he got into the top 10 places.

Disappointing that Perez went out when he did, as he was on course for another decent points haul and was giving Hamilton a really hard time. Brilliant drive by Kobayashi, fending off Button for the last 10 laps - my driver of the day.

Good drive by Massa, given where he started. Fairly quiet race after the first few laps and never looked in danger of relinquishing his 2nd place.

Decent drives from Button and Hamilton on a weekend where McLaren looked off the pace most of the time, but despite both drivers finishing in the points, the gap to the championship leaders has grown considerably, making the drivers' title effectively a 2-horse race between Alonso and Vettel.

A so-so drive from Raikkonen who was largely anonymous, but finished a place higher than he qualified, continuing his run of points finishes. Good drives from Hulkenberg and Maldonado who both qualified outside the top 10 but finished in the points.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:14 pm

I said before the race Vettel is my favourite for the title and this result proves my point. I'm still amazed at people who said Alonso had this in the bag. As Brundle said, Ferrari's car is and was never good enough for a WDC. Ferrari have capatilised on other teams mistakes and maximised their own performance but in F1 that only counts for so much. Everyone knows the car is the most important factor and once again Vettel finds himself in it compared to Alonso and Hamilton. That's the difference.

Newey has well and truly done it again. That Red Bull dominated, however I'm not entirely convinced it's solely down to the new DRS system that Newey was 'open' to talk about. Did anyone else notice at the safety car restart when Vettel just opened up the boosters and completely anniliated the field and Kobayashi? Reminded me very much of 2010/11 and Abu Dhabi in particular when Vettel usually just blew Hamilton away at the grid start and at safety car restarts in gaining a huge 1.5/2 second lead after one lap. Wouldn't surprise me to see something found on that RB in a few weeks that is once again illegal but actually in a 'loophole' of the TD rules.

dyrewolfe wrote:making the drivers' title effectively a 2-horse race between Alonso and Vettel.

This isn't an attack on you dyrewolf but I don't understand why people are being so negative about Hamilton's chances. It's a 42 point deficit.....it's reduced after this weekend!!!! The Ferrari is clearly inferior and in my opinion Hamilton would just need to beat Vettel to win the WDC. That would make Lewis only 38 points behind the actual biggest threat with five races to go. You've seen with your very eyes how things can change in F1, it can change in a heartbeat. You've got to remain positive, if it wasn't for that appaling setup, Lewis would of been on the podium.

As for race it was pretty dull but I must praise Kobayashi and Massa for superb drives under such immense pressure to perform. Luca Di Montezemelo may of just been right in his analysis of Sergio Perez and him being too inexperienced. He clearly got too excited at the prospect of taking over Hamilton again and just got it so completely wrong. Grosjean needs to be removed from F1 as soon as possible but with Boullier managing him at Lotus, he may just be given more time.

Onto Korea........

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Tue 09 Oct 2012, 11:39 pm

Mclaren must re-assert their authority immediately at the next race for Hamilton to get back into it. Another pole to flag for Vettel will not be good. In fact another DNF for Vettel wouldnt go amis - come on Groj lets be 'aving yer !!

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down