The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running

+4
nganboy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
AlastairW
anotherworldofpain
8 posters

Go down

Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running Empty Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:48 am

Last Rolland made an enormous balls up of the substitution laws an was reprimanded by the IRB for failing to allow the Wallabies to make a substitution at Hooker and forced Australia to play out the game with 14 men.

This week he spotted but ignored Brodie retaillicks tip tackle And SANZAR have awarded one belatedly and reprimanded rolland again.

Two bad days at the office? Or just a poor referee who needs some more training?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running Empty Re: Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running

Post by AlastairW Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:51 am

Rolland is dreadful. Compare him to the quality of Joubert, Walsh and Owens and it shows that he shouldn't be refing international tests.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running Empty Re: Rolland Reprimanded Two Weeks Running

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:51 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:Last Rolland made an enormous balls up of the substitution laws an was reprimanded by the IRB for failing to allow the Wallabies to make a substitution at Hooker and forced Australia to play out the game with 14 men. refereed a match.

This week he spotted but ignored Brodie retaillicks tip tackle And SANZAR have awarded one belatedly and reprimanded rolland again.

Two bad days at the office? Or just a poor referee who needs some more training?

Fixed that for you AWoP. Rolland was not reprimanded - the 4th official is responsible for monitoring substitutions, not the referee, and the 4th official correctly stopped the substitution.

Feeble effort mate.

Rolland's definitely not the greatest ref around, but he can't be hung for the substitutions
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:04 am

Thought Owens did well in the RC, pleasantly surprised. He's leapfrogged Rolland in my books.

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:07 am

I thought that Rolland was fine really and in general have no problem with him.
You AWOP need to chill.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:10 am

Im not surprised. It would be an amazing achievement for a player to play an 80 minute game and not make any mistakes.

Why should a referee be held to a higher standard than players.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

AlastairW wrote:Rolland is dreadful. Compare him to the quality of Joubert, Walsh and Owens and it shows that he shouldn't be refing international tests.

Joubert - Didnt do a great job in the world cup final in 2011. Pretty inconsistant I thought. By contrast Rolland did a much better job in the 2007 WC final.

Steve Walsh - Although he has improved he probably has the worst record of any top level ref for courting contraversy. Dont think Rolland has ever come close to some of Walsh's high profile blunders. For example he got a three game suspension for inapropriate behaviour towards the England team in the '03 WC.

Nigel Owens - Probably the best ref around at the moment. However, he is yet to ref the WC final. Probably should have got the nod in 2011. We will see how good he is then.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:36 pm

Every ref makes mistakes. For example Jonathan Kaplan is a very good ref in my opinion one of the best. However, he made one of the worst referring blunders I have ever seen in the Ireland v Wales match two years ago.

It was an honest mistake though and sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean. Its a pretty tough job, I have reffed matches myself before and its definitely not easy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:37 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Every ref makes mistakes. For example Jonathan Kaplan is a very good ref in my opinion one of the best. However, he made one of the worst referring blunders I have ever seen in the Ireland v Wales match two years ago.

Actually his assistant referee made one of the worst blunders. He was at fault for not questioning the assistant properly.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

AlastairW wrote:Rolland is dreadful. Compare him to the quality of Joubert, Walsh and Owens and it shows that he shouldn't be refing international tests.

Joubert had some stormers in the RWC up until the final and since then has been absolute bollix.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Joubert had some stormers in the RWC up until the final and since then has been absolute bollix.

I agree. I think that without a doubt he was the best referee in the world at the time and deserved his appointment. However like players referees can go off form too and he hasn't been great since that match.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:01 pm

red_stag wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Every ref makes mistakes. For example Jonathan Kaplan is a very good ref in my opinion one of the best. However, he made one of the worst referring blunders I have ever seen in the Ireland v Wales match two years ago.

Actually his assistant referee made one of the worst blunders. He was at fault for not questioning the assistant properly.

There was no need to even consult the assisant referee because Sexton kicked the ball into the crowd in full view of everyone and therefore Kaplan should have known that a quick throw was not an option because the ball was touched by someone in the crowd.

The assistant referee was wrong too but Kaplan should not have even needed to ask if he was paying attention. He also failed to notice that Matthew Rhys stood into the field of play when he took the quick throw and the ball didnt travel 5 meters. A different ball was also used.

You could also argue that a lineout had been formed however I'm not sure what the exact definition of a formed lineout is. Two players from each team.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:21 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:

There was no need to even consult the assisant referee because Sexton kicked the ball into the crowd in full view of everyone and therefore Kaplan should have known that a quick throw was not an option because the ball was touched by someone in the crowd.

The assistant referee was wrong too but Kaplan should not have even needed to ask if he was paying attention. He also failed to notice that Matthew Rhys stood into the field of play when he took the quick throw and the ball didnt travel 5 meters. A different ball was also used.

You could also argue that a lineout had been formed however I'm not sure what the exact definition of a formed lineout is. Two players from each team.

It is not Kaplans job to pay attention to quick throws. That is the duty of the linesman.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:38 pm

It was an honest mistake though and sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean. Its a pretty tough job, I have reffed matches myself before and its definitely not easy.

Ah you referring to when he missed the blatant BOD knock on before three of Ireland's points? Yeah that was pretty bad, but I bet there's been worse blunders.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:39 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Ah you referring to when he missed the blatant BOD knock on before three of Ireland's points? Yeah that was pretty bad, but I bet there's been worse blunders.

Wha?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Rev, thats what I like about you. You keep things Short And Sweet thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

red_stag wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Rev, thats what I like about you. You keep things Short And Sweet thumbsup

Real And Fair more like.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 08 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Surely if a lineout had been formed it would not have mattered which ball was used, no?

Was that not the whole cause of the confusion, TJ thought the lineout was formed and Ref thought it was a quick throw?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:26 pm

You cant take a quick throw if a lineout is formed.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 08 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

That's what I mean.

One thought it was an ordinary lineout and the other deemed it a quick throw.

It was a mistake no doubt about it but I thought that was the source of the confusion between officials.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 09 Oct 2012, 12:24 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
anotherworldofpain wrote:Last Rolland made an enormous balls up of the substitution laws an was reprimanded by the IRB for failing to allow the Wallabies to make a substitution at Hooker and forced Australia to play out the game with 14 men. refereed a match.

Fixed that for you AWoP. Rolland was not reprimanded - the 4th official is responsible for monitoring substitutions, not the referee, and the 4th official correctly stopped the substitution.

Feeble effort mate.

Rolland's definitely not the greatest ref around, but he can't be hung for the substitutions

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3821_8137264,00.html

The IRB has confirmed that referee Alain Rolland erred in not allowing Australia to make a late substitution against South Africa last Saturday.

Check-mate.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down