The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season

+17
ScarletSpiderman
Dontheman
Rugby Fan
majesticimperialman
TJ
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
GloriousEmpire
Sin é
fa0019
tigerleghorn
Chjw131
GunsGerms
Scrumpy
Tattie Scones RRN
Submachine
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season Empty Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season

Post by Submachine Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:15 pm

Probably the best referee in the modern era for a time, a great servant to Leinster rugby and a thoroughly decent bloke.

If he decides to put ink on paper I look forward to reading his book.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season Empty Re: Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 25 Sep 2013, 2:43 pm

Excellent news.

Just another 3 or 4 to go and we should have some great games of rugby to watch.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season Empty Re: Alain Rolland to retire at the end of this season

Post by Scrumpy Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:40 pm

Don't like him but least the guy had the balls to send of Warbs for that dangerous tackle.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm

Im sure it will be popular news in Wales but he was a good referee and one of the few fluent in both English and French and also one of the few who is an ex-international and may possibly be the last.

I read a few articles on him over him the years and his dedication to refereeing is impressive. He has a very very strict fitness regime and was always very professional.

Whether you like his decisions or his refereeing style I think he can hang up his boots satisfied he has done a good job.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Im sure it will be popular news in Wales but he was a good referee and one of the few fluent in both English and French and also one of the few who is an ex-international and may possibly be the last.

I read a few articles on him over him the years and his dedication to refereeing is impressive. He has a very very strict fitness regime and was always very professional.

Whether you like his decisions or his refereeing style I think he can hang up his boots satisfied he has done a good job.
Glen Jackson played for the NZ Maori and he's only just started on the international scene. What I liked about Rolland was his courage to make the calls. Not always sympathetic to the flow of a game it must be said. But if he saw something no matter the time or place he had conviction.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:27 pm

Yeeeeeees! There is a god.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

I wonder what he will do in his retirement? Perhaps he will buy a vinyard, drive his citroen now and again to the patisserie, spend his time reading La Monde and quietly thinking to himself... allez la blues???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:42 pm

fa0019 wrote:I wonder what he will do in his retirement? Perhaps he will buy a vinyard, drive his citroen now and again to the patisserie, spend his time reading La Monde and quietly thinking to himself... allez la blues???
Why would he support France when he played for Ireland? More likely to buy a pub, drive a BMW to Kielys in Donnybrook, read the Irish Times and think Allez les verts.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:44 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:I wonder what he will do in his retirement? Perhaps he will buy a vinyard, drive his citroen now and again to the patisserie, spend his time reading La Monde and quietly thinking to himself... allez la blues???
Why would he support France when he played for Ireland? More likely to buy a pub, drive a BMW to Kielys in Donnybrook, read the Irish Times and think Allez les verts.
only a joke wee man given his notoriety and dual heritage.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 25 Sep 2013, 8:52 pm

fa0019 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
only a joke wee man given his notoriety and dual heritage.
Just for the record, he Red Carded Sebastian Chabal in the 2007 World Cup. Smile 

http://www.rugbydump.com/2007/09/216/sebastien-chabal-hit-hard-high-red-card
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 25 Sep 2013, 8:54 pm

I'll put a grand on him being replaced by another white male.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:36 pm

Back to this GE. Thought it was refs from 'poorer' nations rather than a non white ref? Changed again? Who are from NZ would you like to see picked to replace him?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:39 pm

Nope it's the white Eurocentric demographic skew that bothers me

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:41 pm

So you'd be happy with a white South African. Who from NZ would you like to see replace him?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:44 pm

Submachine wrote:Probably the best referee in the modern era for a time, a great servant to Leinster rugby and a thoroughly decent bloke.
Agreed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:47 pm

GunsGerms wrote:one of the few fluent in both English and French and also one of the few who is an ex-international and may possibly be the last.
whocares is better placed to judge on Rolland's fluency in French, but my own oral french is strong enough to discuss rugby in the Clermont clubhouse. I always felt Rolland's fluency in French was rather overstated, and i woudl say that Poite and Garces are better at English than Rolland was at French.

Mighty fine ref though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So you'd be happy with a white South African. Who from NZ would you like to see replace him?
It's not about being racist against white Europeans. It's about expecting to see representative diversity.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 9:51 pm

I'll leave it there then as you don't have an answer and I don't want to spoil Rollands thread too much!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm

Meeeh! who cares?
Seen him ruin many a game of rugby.
His whole "i can speak French" did my head in, he does know the French speak English right?
If a German an Italian a French man a Swiss man and an Austrian met in the Alps skiing what language would they speak?English of course.

Nigel Owens speaks Welsh to some players and he gets Gip for being to friendly.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm

One of the best. Not many around up to his standard. Nigel Owens maybe but who else?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 5:41 am

I think it is a shame he is retiring. One of the best in the game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 26 Sep 2013, 6:16 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:It's about expecting to see representative diversity.
The problem is, GE, you don't feel strongly enough about the subject to take the time to give us more details on why you think the NZRU is doing a good job on this front. Nor have you come up with names of the non-white referees in NZ who have benefitted from their initiatives.

It's impossible to take you seriously on this subject while you continue to make random, drive-by claims without supplying any evidence to support them.

The only possible conclusion is that you really just don't care.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 6:35 am

Wasn't it said at one time he got to ref too many French games. I wonder what the stats are

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:02 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
The problem is, GE, you don't feel strongly enough about the subject to take the time to give us more details on why you think the NZRU is doing a good job on this front. Nor have you come up with names of the non-white referees in NZ who have benefitted from their initiatives.

It's impossible to take you seriously on this subject while you continue to make random, drive-by claims without supplying any evidence to support them.

That's his raison d'etre, fire and forget wum. Just look at the quantity of bilge he generates.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:39 am

Rugby Fan wrote:

As soon as the NZRU make the global referee appointments for internationals that question will be relevant and worthy of an answer.
Despite what some might think, NZ do not get a say in refereeing appointments and so the question is bizarre and there is no relevant answer.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:28 am

GE

If you can find a non white/female/disabled/transgendered referee (or whoever bar the current batch) who is up to the required standard then by all means... until then it should be the person best up for the role.

This isn't the public sector in the UK... this is a key position, one of the most important in test rugby and only the best should be considered.

If you're happy for your beloved ABs to lose now and again due to a referee who is unsuitable/not ready etc for test rugby then by all means.... and more so then when you do blame the referee (every time the ABs lose a match).

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:49 am

Scrumpy wrote:Don't like him but least the guy had the balls to send of Warbs for that dangerous tackle.
I agree it is good to see a ref with the danglers to send someone off if they believe that they deserve to be sent off. However, since that card Roland seems to have lost some of his guts, and in matches I have seen him ref, he seems to rely on his assistants to make the calls. Which is a shame, as he was a good ref and the french/english language thing worked out well for him too.

He was one of best refs around at one point in his career, however he is not up to those standards now, and IMO has lacked confidence since the RWC. So probably best for him to retire.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:54 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Don't like him but least the guy had the balls to send of Warbs for that dangerous tackle.
I agree it is good to see a ref with the danglers to send someone off if they believe that they deserve to be sent off.  However, since that card Roland seems to have lost some of his guts, and in matches I have seen him ref, he seems to rely on his assistants to make the calls.  Which is a shame, as he was a good ref and the french/english language thing worked out well for him too.

He was one of best refs around at one point in his career, however he is not up to those standards now, and IMO has lacked confidence since the RWC.  So probably best for him to retire.
Getting death threats didn't help, that would put me off my game.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:03 am

Not saying people are crying over spilt milk but I wonder if Rolland's death threats were anything more then some 13yr kid in the valleys crying over his twitter account after the next match.

In context I and a fellow player years back was once told by some opposing russian prop after a scuffle  that we were dead after the game and he was going to get his "mafia" mates to do us over. In some ways I believed him, but in reality he was just full of s***.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:05 am

Scrumpy wrote: least the guy had the balls to send of Warbs for that dangerous tackle.
this .

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:08 am

fa0019 wrote:Not saying people are crying over spilt milk but I wonder if Rolland's death threats were anything more then some 13yr kid in the valleys crying over his twitter account after the next match.

In context I and a fellow player years back was once told by some opposing russian prop after a scuffle  that we were dead after the game and he was going to get his "mafia" mates to do us over. In some ways I believed him, but in reality he was just full of s***.
Maybe, but even so it would make you think twice for a second or two.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:26 am

fa0019 wrote:In context I and a fellow player years back was once told by some opposing russian prop after a scuffle  that we were dead after the game and he was going to get his "mafia" mates to do us over. In some ways I believed him, but in reality he was just full of s***.
Sometimes the Russian Mafia just let you wait for a few years before exacting revenge. Just saying Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Scrumpy wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
I agree it is good to see a ref with the danglers to send someone off if they believe that they deserve to be sent off.  However, since that card Roland seems to have lost some of his guts, and in matches I have seen him ref, he seems to rely on his assistants to make the calls.  Which is a shame, as he was a good ref and the french/english language thing worked out well for him too.

He was one of best refs around at one point in his career, however he is not up to those standards now, and IMO has lacked confidence since the RWC.  So probably best for him to retire.
True, nobody deserves that. Especially as the odds are about 90% of those giving the threads wouldn't have been able to physically live up to them either. After all Roland may be a small bloke but I reckon he would more than hold his own against school kids.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:30 am

Cyril wrote:
fa0019 wrote:In context I and a fellow player years back was once told by some opposing russian prop after a scuffle  that we were dead after the game and he was going to get his "mafia" mates to do us over. In some ways I believed him, but in reality he was just full of s***.
Sometimes the Russian Mafia just let you wait for a few years before exacting revenge. Just saying Smile
Lucky I always carry a fake moustache in my pocket just in case I quickly need to look inconspicuous.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:33 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

True, nobody deserves that.  Especially as the odds are about 90% of those giving the threads wouldn't have been able to physically live up to them either.  After all Roland may be a small bloke but I reckon he would more than hold his own against school kids.
I certainly think something needs to be done over these "twitter tough guys". You can always count on GE, sorry "someone" to ruin the party these days.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:36 am

dallym wrote:
Scrumpy wrote: least the guy had the balls to send of Warbs for that dangerous tackle.
this .
Whilst it was the right call, it isn't really worth praising somebody for doing their job correctly in my opinion.

All the best to him. Didn't always feel like he was sympathetic to a flowing game, but then he isn't as bad as others (Clancy).

With regards to the death threats, I think it's fair to assume they weren't real rugby people. Most people would accept it was correct to send him off and also Wales should've won without Warburton.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:38 am

I think twitter has the wrong name. From the bits of it I have seen, and I will openly admit to not having an account (well I did for the whole for five mins once), I think they should replace the i in twitter with an a, as it seems to suit the majority of stuff people put on there.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:16 am

Risca Rev wrote:
dallym wrote:
this .
Whilst it was the right call, it isn't really worth praising somebody for doing their job correctly in my opinion.

All the best to him. Didn't always feel like he was sympathetic to a flowing game, but then he isn't as bad as others (Clancy).

With regards to the death threats, I think it's fair to assume they weren't real rugby people. Most people would accept it was correct to send him off and also Wales should've won without Warburton.
So there'd be no tea and bickies for the fireman who rescues your kids from an inferno? Pat on the back? A grudging acceptance of a job done to the highest standard under intense pressure?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:19 am

saving people from an inferno is beyond the job description wouldn't you say. I wouldn't say making the correct decisions is the same.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:21 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:As soon as the NZRU make the global referee appointments for internationals that question will be relevant and worthy of an answer.
Despite what some might think, NZ do not get a say in refereeing appointments and so the question is bizarre and there is no relevant answer.
The relevant answer is to explain what policies the NZRU has to promote non-white Europeans to their refereeing elite. You are the only one who has made such a claim about any union. If the NZRU has a pool of non-white European elite referees, and these individuals have been ignored by the IRB, then it amazes me you can't see how this is not relevant to your criticisms.

If there is no such pool, we can instead look at the proactive stance of the NZRU and puzzle over why it has so far failed.

If, however, it turns out that the NZRU is doing nothing more than any other union on this front, it raises questions about why NZ doesn't have more non-white European elite referees. After all, the playing and coaching base has a healthy representation of Maori and islanders. If NZ isn't in fact giving the IRB anyone to work with, then we find ourselves making some headway on the topic you continually raise.

You have claimed some authority in this area. We are still waiting for you to show your hand.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:21 am

Submachine wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
dallym wrote:
this .

So there'd be no tea and bickies for the fireman who rescues your kids from an inferno? Pat on the back? A grudging acceptance of a job done to the highest standard under intense pressure?
Slight difference in the risk/reward of the jobs there. Anyhow, where is my pat on the back everytime you start your car, get on a bus/train/taxi? After all I did my job right at the oil refinery.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

fa0019 wrote:saving people from an inferno is beyond the job description wouldn't you say. I wouldn't say making the correct decisions is the same.
Does the firemans instruction manual advise ignoring children in a buring building while taking special care to douse the golf clubs and soft furnishings?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:25 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
dallym wrote:
this .

Slight difference in the risk/reward of the jobs there.  Anyhow, where is my pat on the back everytime you start your car, get on a bus/train/taxi?  After all I did my job right at the oil refinery.
I and my Prius thank you from the bottom of our frugal hearts.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:33 am

Submachine wrote:
fa0019 wrote:saving people from an inferno is beyond the job description wouldn't you say. I wouldn't say making the correct decisions is the same.
Does the firemans instruction manual advise ignoring children in a buring building while taking special care to douse the golf clubs and soft furnishings?
I doubt they will risk their lives for someone's golf clubs... but I doubt those chaps wouldn't give a second thought if they knew kids were inside. Anyone who risks their lives for others gets a deserved thumbs up from me. Slightly different from getting your double entry book keeping in order wouldn't you say??

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:34 am

Submachine wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
dallym wrote:
this .

Slight difference in the risk/reward of the jobs there.  Anyhow, where is my pat on the back everytime you start your car, get on a bus/train/taxi?  After all I did my job right at the oil refinery.
I and my Prius thank you from the bottom of our frugal hearts.
Driving a Prius is so rock n' roll sub! Smile

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:36 am

fa0019 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
I doubt they will risk their lives for someone's golf clubs... but I doubt those chaps wouldn't give a second thought if they knew kids were inside. Anyone who risks their lives for others gets a deserved thumbs up from me. Slightly different from getting your double entry book keeping in order wouldn't you say??
Absolutely and it is of course an exagerated example but I was just pointing out to Rev that doing ones own job well is often praiseworthy. Do we not compliment the chef for a delicious meal?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:44 am

If the ref does beyond his expectations I often will compliment him. I think Nigel Owens and  often does that. They go to the players early on and have a favourable word with them, a little bit of coaching to keep the match a decent match for the fans.

He doesn't need to do that but it makes for a better game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:52 am

fa0019 wrote:If the ref does beyond his expectations I often will compliment him. I think Nigel Owens and  often does that. They go to the players early on and have a favourable word with them, a little bit of coaching to keep the match a decent match for the fans.

He doesn't need to do that but it makes for a better game.
Agreed, a good ref worthy of praise. Another observer might take the view however that he is quite fond of the sound of his own voice.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:52 am

Submachine wrote:I and my Prius thank you from the bottom of our frugal hearts.
Hug  Oh hang on a Prius, let me check, surely that must be a bannable offence.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:53 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Submachine wrote:I and my Prius thank you from the bottom of our frugal hearts.
Hug   Oh hang on a Prius, let me check, surely that must be a bannable offence.
I've said too much

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next