The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Massa set for Ferrari stay

+3
Critical_mass
SteveG
Fernando
7 posters

Go down

Massa set for Ferrari stay  Empty Massa set for Ferrari stay

Post by Fernando Mon 08 Oct 2012, 9:58 am

Ferrari could confirm as early as this week that Felipe Massa will stay at the team for next season, according to Sky Sports F1's Ted Kravitz.

The Ferrari stalwart had seemed to be nearing the end of the road at Maranello after a dismal start to the season in which he scored just two points in the opening five races and failed to make the final part of qualifying until the Monaco GP.

Ferrari were thought to be evaluating a host of alternative names for the seat yet in more recent months Massa has steadily picked up his form and in wake of four successive points finishes finished on the podium for the first time in two years with an impressive drive from 10th on the grid to second place at Suzuka on Sunday.

Massa has repeatedly stressed that a run of strong results would help towards securing a contract renewal and asked in the post-race press conference if he thought his return to the podium would help his chances, the 31-year-old replied: "I think so."

Indeed Sky F1's pit lane reporter said that the signs in Japan were all pointing towards an imminent announcement that Ferrari would retain the Brazilian for an eighth consecutive season.

"A podium and something that might save his job," Ted said when reflecting on Massa's race in his video notebook.

"He seemed to hint, and we're actually getting little hints around the place that there might be an announcement before Korea, or maybe even just after Korea, that Massa will actually stay.

"He dropped a very big hint in the press conference that 'you will hear soon' about my future and he was smiling at the time."

Ferrari Team Principal Stefano Domenciali continued to keep his cards close to his chest after the race but did hint that Massa's podium appearance had come at just the right time for his future.

"It was nice to see him back on the podium after a long, a too long time!" the Italian admitted.

"This second place is a very important result for him and for the team and it comes at one of the most difficult and delicate moments of the season.

"Decisions regarding his future? One step at a time, as now we are enjoying this lovely podium together."
Ferrari Team Principal Stefano Domenciali continued to keep his cards close to his chest after the race but did hint that Massa's podium appearance had come at just the right time for his future.

"It was nice to see him back on the podium after a long, a too long time!" the Italian admitted.

"This second place is a very important result for him and for the team and it comes at one of the most difficult and delicate moments of the season.

"Decisions regarding his future? One step at a time, as now we are enjoying this lovely podium together."

Source; Sky Sports

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Massa set for Ferrari stay  Empty Re: Massa set for Ferrari stay

Post by SteveG Mon 08 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

Judging by how open he was about his struggles in his interviews yesterday I got the feeling that it wasnt just his podium but also the fact that he's already been told that he has another drive next year.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

I think he'll be staying. He's picked up his performance recently and although some may say it wont be good enough, i can see him staying, even just for a one year deal.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 08 Oct 2012, 3:29 pm

Seems like a smart move. Massa is just the kind of obedient No.2 driver they want and if his performances continue on their recent upward curve, they could have their ideal driver pairing for next season.

The short term contract also ensures they can drop Massa fairly quickly if he shows signs of another slump (might also be a way to keep him on his toes).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

Massa is staying at Ferrari, announcement this week apparently. Will surely be his last year though in 2013....

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue 09 Oct 2012, 3:47 pm

Yeah def can see it being a one year deal and no it doesnt suprise me he's staying.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:18 pm

Mixed feelings

Its good to see him improve but since his accident he has just not been the same.

That being said he knows the team well, clearly wants to stay despite such a struggle.. And they only need someone for one year until the mouth watering Alonso Vettel partnership ..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:23 pm

Probably accelerated by Perez signing up at McLaren
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm

The Alonso/Vettel potential partnership really does excite me for 2014.

If Vettel wins his third title this year, I still don't think he will be seen in the eyes of the F1 fan as a true out and out legend of the sport. His stats and record are quite frightening for someone so young but his teams domination over recent years and the influence and genius of Newey, seem still, to still place a question mark over his true ability as a driver. Someone stated on here that his wins are one dimensional and I have to agree to an extent. If he goes to Ferrari, wins a title and beats Alonso in his own backyard then it would be a quite extraordinary achievement and would probably be the circumstances needed in order for his achievements in this sport to be truly recognised by his doubters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm

Even if Vettel doesnt win this season i cannot ever see Vettel going to Ferrari. It'll be another 2007 if nothing else.

As Tune666 said, the team know him, they know he plays a good no.2 driver. Which is what Ferrari want. They dont want to upset the balance they have at the mo. What that means for WHEN it comes to replace Massa i dont know...

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffleface Sun 14 Oct 2012, 12:36 am

good to see massa doing well, hope it continues as he def has the skill. Motivation seems to be his problem although the realisation of being dumped from ferrari seems to have perked that up a bit. Come on, lets see the Massa of old!

Muffleface

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 16 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

Felipe Massa will stay at Ferrari for the 2013 season after signing a one-year extension to his current contract. That's now official

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down