The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here.

+5
rodders
MajorRoadWorks
SecretFly
Portnoy's Complaint
gregortree
9 posters

Go down

Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here. Empty Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here.

Post by gregortree Mon 8 Oct - 21:20

Warrington Wolves prop Paul Wood has had a testicle removed after rupturing it in Saturday's Grand Final defeat by Leeds Rhinos.
Wood suffered the injury at the start of the second half but played on before going to hospital after the match.
He tweeted: "Ruptured my right testicle, got a knee 1 minute into the second half, had to have it removed."

Wow, that must have hurt, but he carried on playing. That is a pretty tough dude.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here. Empty Re: Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here.

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 8 Oct - 23:34

I have to say that when I told my Mrs about this story this morning, she shrugged a bit and she muttered something about childbirth.

But any bloke that knows anything about getting a sharp one in the groin area can only imagine. To play 40 minutes with a ruptured testicle and then do a post-match interview is above and beyond the call.

Cry

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here. Empty Re: Our sympathies and admiration for a R/league player - shades of Buck Shelford here.

Post by SecretFly Mon 8 Oct - 23:38

It always did appear to me a strange place to put expensive merchandise.

But yes, not the best of days for poor, and unfortunately named, Paul Wood. Wish him well... what's left of him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 8 Oct - 23:40

greytiger wrote: To play 40 minutes with a ruptured testicle and then do a post-match interview is above and beyond the call.

Cry

WOW... that must have taken some balls... censored

Ok... before I get slandered for this gallow humour, ask yourself.. how many of you sniggered, and how many thought the same/similar.

Sorry

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 8 Oct - 23:40

Shocked .... I feel a bit faint here.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 8 Oct - 23:51

Aye....Buck and Joe Worlsey both suffered similar...Joe didnt have to have one removed i dont think...just stiched up and he went back out to play.

Not sure on Bucks case...think it was the same ....stiched up and back out to play.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 9 Oct - 0:23

Don't forget former Scotland captain Budge Pountney, who took a boot to the groin during a match against London Irish. The shock of the injury was one factor behind him ditching international rugby.

This from a news report at the time:

“‘It was excruciating,’ he explained. ‘Men will know the pain you get for five minutes or so when something flicks you there; well it just got worse and worse for me through the night. I ended up rolling around on the floor and my wife Ali said we had to go to the doctor. The doctor was concerned there was no swelling and when it was investigated he discovered it was because the testicle had been split and was bleeding inside.’

“For a player who has spent many months on the sidelines, recovering from a catalogue of broken bones, ligament tears and gashes, the doctor’s recommendation that he would undergo an operation and need only miss a few weeks at first came as welcome relief. But, it was the detail within the diagnosis, after the operation to remove a testicle, which proved more difficult to digest. The removed testicle showed signs of damage from a previous rugby injury, which, the doctor explained, had already made it unable to fulfil its role in reproduction. It meant that had the new injury struck the other testicle he may have faced the possibility of being unable to father children.

“‘I was happy for them to take the testicle out just to get rid of the pain,’ he said, ‘but I am lucky it wasn’t the other one, because that could have totally wrecked my life in terms of having family. The future for Ali and me would have been ruined.’”

Pountney and his wife later had a baby girl.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 9 Oct - 0:51

clap Mr & Mrs Budge, glad it ended happily at least.
But eye watering experience.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 9 Oct - 0:54

A thread I have read wincing and crossing my legs, while still sniggering at MajorRoadWorks comment up thread Erm

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 9 Oct - 2:08

Joe Quaid, Limerick Hurler.

"In a National Hurling League game against Laois in 1997 Quaid suffered a terrible injury when the ball struck Quaid in the testicle at high-speed following a penalty attempt by paul flynn waterford. His right testicle exploded on impact while half of the other testicle had to be removed."

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 9 Oct - 2:17

Oh ouch ! I thought they wore boxes.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down