The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Irish vs. Northampton Saints

+6
Jimpy
pjm1
doctor_grey
LondonTiger
lostinwales
Ozzy3213
10 posters

Go down

London Irish vs. Northampton Saints Empty London Irish vs. Northampton Saints

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Well I have only just got over the shock at this one. I was convinced pre game that we would get seriously hammered again.

A few points that I noticed from watching the game.

1. The French referee was very good, particularly at scrum time. he actually refereed what was happening in front of him as opposed to guessing or taking into account teams perceived strengths/weaknesses at the set piece.

2. Tonga'uiha looked a shadow of the player he was 2 years ago. I know it was a poor day at the office all round for Saints, but he was dreadful.

3. TOL and iHumph looked very together. Really hope they can kick us on now this season.

4. We won. We won. We won. We won. We won. We won. We won. We won.

Absolutely chuffed. Hopefully a decent couple of performances in the Amlin the next two weeks will see us gain some momentum and start to climb the table going towards Christmas.

Either that or I will be depressed again in a few days time as we leaked 7 tries against the giants of Mont-de-Marsan!!!

Leprechaun COME ON YOU IRISH Leprechaun
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

London Irish vs. Northampton Saints Empty Re: London Irish vs. Northampton Saints

Post by lostinwales Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 pm

The Brian Smith quote on the BBC article concerned me a little

"We picked three locks because we anticipated a tough battle up front and it was a test of courage and manhood."

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

London Irish vs. Northampton Saints Empty Re: London Irish vs. Northampton Saints

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:59 pm

I suspect that's his Australian way of suggesting we needed to front up a bit more than we have been in the pack recently.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Well I have only just got over the shock at this one. I was convinced pre game that we would get seriously hammered again.

Yeah I saw your SB prediction Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm

I'd tipped us every other week LT, so I thought I'd try something different. Suffice to say I will tipping against us every week now until that plan fails!!! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 am

On paper and on recent form London Irish defeating Saints, let alone stomping Saints was unthinkable. What this realy goes to show is the difference in the talent levels between the teams in the Premeirship really are small. A small drop in form or a few funny bounces can change matches completely.

So with the matches not fought on paper, this is why we play the games. Anything can happen.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by pjm1 Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 am

doctor_grey wrote:On paper and on recent form London Irish defeating Saints, let alone stomping Saints was unthinkable. What this realy goes to show is the difference in the talent levels between the teams in the Premeirship really are small. A small drop in form or a few funny bounces can change matches completely.

So with the matches not fought on paper, this is why we play the games. Anything can happen.

I think you're probably not far off the mark: the differences in aggregate talent between teams is maybe not excessive - look at how Exeter were and LW are able to compete, first season in. What is more stark, though, are the tactics and effectiveness of the "team unit" from one to the other. This is where complementary combinations, effective coaching and sensible rotation come into their own and coaches/DoRs deserve their wages.

One could look at Sale as a classic example here: good individuals, but a current lack of team cohesion. Exeter have far fewer "stars" but are playing generally better as a collective.

However, you're right that games are (fortuanately) not played on paper. The ability of the players to perform on the day, respond to different refereeing styles, identify and react to opposing team tactics - both flaws and strengths, and the occasional lucky bounce of the ball all contribute. A resilience to cling onto a narrow lead or drag yourself back from a likely loss are also important: a mental strength of individuals and the "mob" of the team.

pjm1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:57 am

I tend to agree. The Not Nots didn't suddenly become a top four team overnight, nor did Saints become whipping boys.

This was one of those 'perfect storm' matches where an out of form side clicked and an in-form side didn't. I expect normal service to be resumed shortly, Irish are a 7th place in the Premiership side, no better, no worse.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am

Not seen the game, but wondering how Lawes and Wood got on for Saints?
Noticed Garvey played at 6 too- how did he get on?

Hearing reports that Joseph had an absolute blinder, which can't be bad for England! Definitely would like to see him have another run out with England at 13.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Not seen the game, but wondering how Lawes and Wood got on for Saints?
Noticed Garvey played at 6 too- how did he get on?

Hearing reports that Joseph had an absolute blinder, which can't be bad for England! Definitely would like to see him have another run out with England at 13.

Lawes and Wood were played out of the game by the Irish back row. Garvey was awesome as per usual.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Cheers Sir Burger

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Im curious to what the crack is with Garvey.

What is it that England coaches etc know...that many of us fans dont.

Yes he divides the odd opinion on here...but to simply not even get a look in is questionable.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

They took a look in one of the Saxon's games, then whipped him off at half time. Perhaps he ate everyones orange segment?

I am not sure I have seen him play though - pretty sure he has not appeared against us or if he did he was anonymous.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im curious to what the crack is with Garvey.

What is it that England coaches etc know...that many of us fans dont.

Yes he divides the odd opinion on here...but to simply not even get a look in is questionable.

It is a huge mystery. He is simply an outstanding Rugby player and has great leadership qualities as well.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Have to admit, before I saw him interviewed the other day, I thought he was a classic case of 'all brawn, no brains', and wasn't convinced if he was an intelligent player. But after listening to him, he came across really really well, with a good understanding of the game, and a great perspective on his team. I just hope he can make the jump from the Saxons.

Attwood's starting to play very very well too....

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Have to admit, before I saw him interviewed the other day, I thought he was a classic case of 'all brawn, no brains', and wasn't convinced if he was an intelligent player. But after listening to him, he came across really really well, with a good understanding of the game, and a great perspective on his team. I just hope he can make the jump from the Saxons.

Attwood's starting to play very very well too....

checking on the RFU site he is not in the Saxons squad.

EPS:
Lawes
Parling
Botha
Palmer

Saxons:
Robson
Kitchener
Deacon
Launchbury
(+ Gaskell in squad but as back row?)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Is he not?? That's confusing- I googled him, and he came up on the RFU website next to the current squad but is not actually listed!

https://www.rfu.com/SquadsAndPlayers/EnglandSaxons/MattGarvey.aspx

He should certainly be in there; preferably in place of Gaskell, who in my opinion, is a waste of a selection there currently.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

He was selected in the revised Saxons squad back in january, but dropped from it in the new one announced in August.

Ed slater is another that it happened to and still has a profile: http://www.rfu.com/SquadsAndPlayers/EnglandSaxons/EdSlater.aspx

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah neither Attwood (yes he does appear to be playing much better - The Gold effect is very much working...and on Davy Wilson also) or Garvey are i think.

What Gaskell is doing there i have absolutely NO IDEA.

Garvey played a blinder in that first half of the Saxons game...then has never been seen again.

Something must have happened...for at a time when we are crying out for a big carrying powerhouse forward (with an awesome defence) that he has never even been looked at...

Im not saying he's the answer to Englands problems...just that he should at least be looked at.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Have to agree that something weird has gone on here....can be the only solution. I can't remember him having a bad game for the past two seasons and in a position where England struggle.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Odd that they're both not in the Saxons... but then over the season I could easily see all or some or Palmer, Botha, Robson, Deacon and Gaskell dropping down/out of those squads.

So there could be a fair few places becoming available.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down