The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone see the Sarries' plan?

+5
LondonTiger
Mickado
Kingshu
beshocked
Portnoy's Complaint
9 posters

Go down

Can anyone see the Sarries' plan? Empty Can anyone see the Sarries' plan?

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

Clearly staking a claim to World positioning in some projected rugby franchise, I'd have expected a few pots in the trophy cabinet to justify a claim to any position at the World table like Leinster and Toulouse.

And certainly by playing consistently negative rugby isn't going to sell shirts in the Far East (not even in Norfolk).

But Sarries appear to be wanting to short-cut the process to a Manchester United profile by carrying their games to anywhere but home. God forbid that they'd ever have to play a big match in their new home - as they'd have to apply to the local council to erect the temporary stands to gain a 10000 capacity. There's barely a spare acre in the rugby where the rugby world where Sarries haven't tried and failed to create an interest.

The Sarries are a bizarre and incomprehensible outfit for sure. On paper they have secured fixtures in Boston Mass, Cape Town (twice), Belgium and for all as I know Mars. There's barely a spare acre in the rugby where the rugby world where Sarries haven't tried and failed to create an interest.

Anywhere apparently but home. Barnet won't fit their requirements (short or long) for their aspirations. Barnet (without the temporary stands) might meet their realistic expectations going on their style of play.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Can anyone see the Sarries' plan? Empty Re: Can anyone see the Sarries' plan?

Post by beshocked Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

Another of the old order sneers at the new kids on the block.

It goes back to this whole idea of having a home.

The most commercially successful sides in the AP have built up their fan bases with their own rugby stadium as their hub.

Is it any surprise that the sides that haven't got their own rugby stadium has struggled off the field commercially.

What do you expect Saracens to do while their new stadium is being built?

They could play at VR but what's the point? It's not Saracen's home. No one likes it there.

Saracens plan has to been to build some consistency in regards to results on the pitch. Build a strong squad that compete on three fronts. Build a new stadium.

Would be nice if Saracens could click their fingers and the new stadium would be built but it doesn't work like that.

How times change? A Tigers fan mocking Saracens style of play.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:25 pm

No it's not that at all 'shocked. You misread me.

The Sarries plan appears to be so scattergun and hitting whatever targets that happen to be in the way and counting them as successes.

In a way it's a bit like the O's giving away seats on kids go free, bring a mate and bogof deals. The numbers only pump the numerical figures. But nothing hits the bottom line of the financials.

But my understanding of the Sarries plan remains zip. I can understand those of every other team in the Jeff in their concepts.
Just the Sarries remain a quandary for me.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

While Sarries are building a new home, why not wander the globe? If they didn't they may view it as a missed oppertunity in a few years.

fair play to them for trying, (even though I may not agree with it), nothing ventured nothing gained.

Can't believe they are getting abuse for moving games about, and Welsh regions get abuse for not moving games about. (seperate issues I know, regional/world and all that.)

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:34 pm

Is the game in Boston against Munster going ahead?

That would be just silly, I mean outside of Europe or Sydney you probably couldn’t a more “Irish” city than Boston.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:37 pm

Saracens have done a lot right (and to be fair made a lot of mistakes) as they have progressed from being a fairly low-key North London outfit to a major force in English Rugby.

The days are long gone when players such as Ben Clarke, Jason Leonard, Dave Flatman (and I suppose Tom Shanklin) had to leave the club to further international aspirations. This is of great credit to the way the club has developed.

Shortly they move on to the next stage of development as they move into their own ground. The Stadium at Barnet is realistic - while the London clubs have a huge catchment area (which really helps with young player recruitment) they are competing with much bigger entities such as Premier League football teams. Bath, Gloucester, Leicester and Northampton have either never, ore rarely, had to face this.

Now pesonally I do not think that they should be allowed to take matches to the US and SA and playing in belgium is odd to say the least. However if you do not try new things, you can never learn.

As to the style of play, well a good team adapts the style that is best suited to their players. In the early 80s tigers were a backs oriented running team. In the mid-80s Bath were a forwards dominated "vicious" team. Styles can change. Personally I feel that Sarries have the personnel to play a much more attractive game than they do, and would be more successful if they did. Mark McCall et al however are experienced and respected coaches so I will wait to see how they look to develop the team on the pitch.

At times the new order at Saracens have been too quick to shout that everyone has it in for them There has at times been a sense of paranoia and that is before you add in some of the Doctor's bizzare behaviour. Mind, just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you Smile

Saracen's have made enourmous progress from the club I used to be involved with up at Southgate. I, for one, am intrigued by the next chapter.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

Spot on LT, I agree 100% with that assesment of Saracens both on and off the pitch.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

Well said London Tiger. I would agree with most of that. OK

greytiger ok that makes more sense. I apologise. I agree Saracens have taken a scatter gun approach.As I said the circumstances do not help.

When you are building from scratch it makes it far harder.

It's mainly down to the CEO Edward Griffiths. He has done a lot of good in my opinion but then again he has his flaws.

One area which I feel that he doesn't have much experience in is fan relationships. I don't think I really need to give examples of that! He's done many things that have ruffled loyal Saracens' supporters feathers.

Such as talking about these Capetown games, the whole player furore when he first came in, a ticket offer which isolated many season ticket holders etc.

On the other hand he's willing to try out new things and he's worked tirelessly to get Saracens the new stadium. He really does look after the players too. Not just the away trips but also he arranges work experience for players to be able to think about their career after rugby.

Saracens have been needing their own stadium for a long time. It's a desire none of us thought would ever become reality.

Saracens plan as I see it: get new stadium. Try utmost to fill it up to 10k. For bigger games go to Wembley.

With the new stadium there will be a solid base.

Last edited by beshocked on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:09 pm

beshocked wrote:Saracens plan as I see it: get new stadium. Try utmost to feel it up to 10k. For bigger games go to Wembley.

Must

resist

making

joke.

As it would probably be too sick.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:12 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:Saracens plan as I see it: get new stadium. Try utmost to feel it up to 10k. For bigger games go to Wembley.

Must

resist

making

joke.

As it would probably be too sick.

Doh

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 4:53 pm

Unfortunately the question goes beyond Barnet and its flexible accommodation.

The Saracens' aspirations appear to be rather more global than Borough of Hendon or whatever it is.

My serious question to ask what are Sarries up to?

Why should the LV= Sarries/Tigers game be hosted at Goldington Rd rather than Vicarage Rd?

What is the deal that Vicarage Rd can't be sold out when it's worth hiring oversized other stadia which equally can't?

I have a strong smell of rodent.

Not of the club, its supporters or its players.
But there is as ever a nasty niff emanating from the Board Room.

I just don't trust them.

Just as the Rabo quite rightly don't trust the PRL.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:01 pm

gt,

Saracens do not have a contract with Watford to play at VR this season. they will be able to for the odd match or so, but in the main they are not allowed to.

And to be frank - who in their right minds wants to go to Watford? I have to during the week and it is a pit. VR on matchday is horrid.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:02 pm

oh and 41k at Wembley is pretty good for a club that only gets 6k to VR. They will start to sell out Barnet within two seasons.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

VR is indeed a dump. However the choice of Goldington Rd is a potential roadside bomb for the Jeff (yet again) should Bedford win the Championship.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:31 pm

Greytiger what do you think the board are up to?

it's a match in the Low Value Cup. Not that important.

Bedford and Saracens have a good relationship because of the dual registration.

LondonTiger I agree VR is not great is it?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

It (a Sarries v Tigers) is significant only in that Goldington Rd would be declared unfit for Jeff play under RFU regulations.

So if Bedford were to win the Championship and Leicester and Sarries had played there in the current season for a game that potentially could affect HEC qualification, would that not be a case for their defence to play in the Jeff on their skewed playing field?

It appears that nobody (not just the PRL) can think beyond tomorrow.

Goldington Rd is potentially a hot issue in the future. And Sarries and Tigers valiantly are prepared to stomp their size fourteens through the minefield,

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 11 Oct 2012, 5:52 pm

Importantly though it's an LV game. Not an AP game. That's the whole point.

Is it likely to affect HC qualification? Well it's looking unlikely.

I don't think Bedford have shown any desire to be promoted. Plus Newcastle are the hot favourites.

I think you are seeing a potential problem where I don't see one.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 11 Oct 2012, 6:14 pm

Potential problems, within the rules, are not the best PRL's not best card in their hand on the basis of past (ever?) performance.

I don't think Bedford have shown any desire to be promoted. Plus Newcastle are the hot favourites.

Bedford so far as I know have spoken out about promotion and have requested RFU funding to help them help them out with their geological difficulties.

Likelihood if they won the Championship, they'd have to play their games on foreign fields and plough Goldstone Rd up and start a market garden or something.

Whatever happens Sarries and Tigers which are both top teams will irrevocably have queered the pitch by stamping their seal on the site.

It appears that a diminishing few can differentiate beween cause and consequence.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 12 Oct 2012, 8:50 am

The way Saracens are moving about, they're in danger of disenfranchising most of their loyal supporters before the new stadium is built.

Mind you, its never stopped the Saracens board before. They've turned disenfranchising their supporters into an art form.

I think they do get an overly hard time about their style of play (yes, even from me....). I think what boils everybody's pish is that it is painfully obvious that they have the talent and the wherwithall to play expansive, attacking rugby - but they so rarely do.

We're probably frustrated more than anything.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:35 am

Jimpy I actually agree. OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:54 am

Well. Aparently the Boston game's off. http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2012-13/rugby/story/171040.html Maybe Griffiths and Wray will have to march their elephants east over the Alps next in their quest to gain to global domination.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:43 am

Mickado wrote:Is the game in Boston against Munster going ahead?

That would be just silly, I mean outside of Europe or Sydney you probably couldn’t a more “Irish” city than Boston.

Boston is more Irish than Munster... There are more Irish in North Eastern America than there are in Ulster or Galway City.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm

I've yet to meet a Saracens fan who is delighted at the prospect of moving to Barnet although they are pleased to be moving out of Watford.
The main issue with Barnet is that unless you go by car it's completely inaccessible - there's no direct route to it from any of the Saracens traditional support areas in North London (or central London for that matter) and when you get to the stadium there's nothing else local - no pubs no cafes or anything else. It's going to be a place to arrive at half an hour before the game and leave straight afterwards.
Fair play to them for getting a ground but it's not the ideal location.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm

I've yet to meet a Saracens fan who is delighted at the prospect of moving to Barnet although they are pleased to be moving out of Watford.
The main issue with Barnet is that unless you go by car it's completely inaccessible - there's no direct route to it from any of the Saracens traditional support areas in North London (or central London for that matter) and when you get to the stadium there's nothing else local - no pubs no cafes or anything else. It's going to be a place to arrive at half an hour before the game and leave straight afterwards.
Fair play to them for getting a ground but it's not the ideal location.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down