The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour

+15
sportslover
time please
lydian
monty junior
mthierry
djlovesyou
Josiah Maiestas
JuliusHMarx
carrieg4
Danny_1982
Haddie-nuff
Calder106
bogbrush
ryan86
hawkeye
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour - Page 2 Empty Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour

Post by hawkeye Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Found this conversation on Neil Harman's (The world famous (cough) Times tennis journalist) twitter account. Neil was upset that the commentators were aplogising for Murray's offensive language. He saw nothing wrong with it and wasn't offended. But what I find interesting is that a pro player (Sergiy Stakovsky) felt annoyed enough to argue with Harman about it.

Harman
Why do Sky have to keep apologising when Murray lets a swear word slip? Those offended can just change channels

Lief Shiras
Ofcom requires broadcasters acknowledge offensive language and apologize for it. Spitting at lines, though offensive, ok

Sergiy Stakovsky
Neil you are saying that his behavior is ok?

Harman
Sometimes he's too over the top for my liking but equally it's my decision to watch or not. I am not offended

Sergiy Stakovsky
if Rooney is screaming f...k you into camera and your children are watching is it still ok?))

Haman
It is not what I want to hear but I don't need people to apologise on my behalf for hearing it. That is up to the player

Sergiy Stakovsky
should the player be penalized ?)

Nola
Ofcom rules strict on language. Plus you'd be shocked to learn that hundreds call in to complain, even when they apologise

https://twitter.com/neilharmantimes

Interesting to see a player confronting a British journalist about Murray's on court behaviour and questioning whether he should be penalised. Hamans response is that he personally doesn't mind. Ha ha! Of course Murray should be allowed to do anything he wants so long as he British media approve.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Oct 2012, 7:07 pm

sportslover wrote:Hi H-n - I don't post much but I do look at this forum from time to time.

As I said shame about Rafa but hopefully he will be back soon and be ready for 2013.

Are you still in Spain or have you moved to Canada?

Still here BOO Would have more chance breeding rocking horses than I have selling my house the moment.
Summer has been impossibly hot weather wise but hey ho !! Yes I miss Rafa but understand fully his reasons for being absolutely sure that he is fully fit before returning. Andy has done a sterling job this year.. lets hope he builds on it. thumbsup

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting Twitter Conversation About Some Of Murray's On Court Behaviour

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 13 Oct 2012, 7:14 pm

If tennis knowledge was paid by Gold, I'd be 1 rich nugget.

Sportslover on the other hand.... Cool
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Oct 2012, 7:16 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:If tennis knowledge was paid by Gold, I'd be 1 rich nugget.

Sportslover on the other hand.... Cool

In your case JM... payment would be in Fools Gold Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 13 Oct 2012, 7:36 pm

time please wrote:
Calder106 wrote:So it's ok for you to allude to needless swear words while trying to make a point. Sort of dilutes your point.

Fair point calder - I just assume (wrongly maybe) that only adults post on this board but of course that may not be so?

It was only a knee jerk, first reaction type of comment from me to a thread anyway - just as if I was talking in a pub so it's probably clumsy and could be intepreted as hypocritical I do see.

I reiterate that it is not the word, it is the way it is used in any case and I stick to my point about privilege and responsibility - it's just my opinion anyway though I do understand you may disagree Very Happy

I do actually agree with you and would rather he didn't swear on court. I don't think it particularly helps him and I seem to remember he admitted earlier this year that he shouldn't do it. Btw I'm no puritan on the swearing front. So maybe I'm not one to judge either.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

Yep Haddie, my parents are trying to sell one of their properties not too far away from you...but the market is dead unless you're prepared to offload at silly money.

I don't think any of us are puritans on here but many of us draw the line at condoning swearing by professionals in front of watching kids. Besides that if he wants to vent his spleen out there it's fine by me, although I'm never sure the outbursts do him much good.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:50 pm

lydian wrote:Yep Haddie, my parents are trying to sell one of their properties not too far away from you...but the market is dead unless you're prepared to offload at silly money.

I don't think any of us are puritans on here but many of us draw the line at condoning swearing by professionals in front of watching kids. Besides that if he wants to vent his spleen out there it's fine by me, although I'm never sure the outbursts do him much good.

Agreed Lydian (on all fronts) .. they not only want the house for silly money but everything in it besides "No way Jose' "

Andy will always be his own worst oponent unless he can combat this problem .. he is playing some super tennis and he can well do without the verbal embelishments !!! We know others do it but Im hoping he can rise above it especially if he has aspirations to be No.1.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

Great to see some interesting talk about this topic. What I found particularly interesting was Harman's sleight of hand in turning defense into attack, Leif Sharas and his attempt to divert the subject (spitting at lines?) but most of all a little insight into what the players in the locker room think about this subject.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

So is players spitting on the lines acceptable then ? Didn't see the match myself but did see it commented on by others in the forum.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm

Like many on here, I'm not offended personally by Murray's swearing (or other player's either). But as he is broadcast live pre-watershed I do agree that he shouldn't swear.

I'm not bothered about the rest of the self-flagellation - it may not help his game, but that's his problem and no-one else's.

Harman's response was about the commentator's apologising for the swearing though. I'm not sure what the point of that is. If Ofcom have rules about apologising for it, surely the spirit of the rules is not to broadcast it in the first place.

So, given that Murray is quite happily swearing as much as he likes at the moment, who is going to tell him to stop. The warnings the players get from umpires (presumably with a small fine) doesn't seem to deter him. He's self-employed so it won't be his team. It's difficult for the broadcasters to do it maybe because they need a good relationship with him to get the exclusive interviews they want (until he's not the best British player by miles).

Who do you think hawkeye? I think the actually the people in the best position to get him to stop are actually his sponsors - perhaps you could write to adidas and let them know this issue stops you supporting him and they'll be inclined to do something about it.

I mean I agree he should know himself not to swear on court now, but he still does so we need to work from where we are now.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm

YvonneT wrote:
Who do you think hawkeye? I think the actually the people in the best position to get him to stop are actually his sponsors - perhaps you could write to adidas and let them know this issue stops you supporting him and they'll be inclined to do something about it.

LOL
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2