The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium

+40
doctor_grey
TJ1
Imperialbigdave
mckay1402
GLove39
Morgannwg
LordDowlais
bsando
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
rodders
Rory_Gallagher
Dorothy_Mantooth
jimbopip
Captain_Sensible
red_stag
Pat_Mustard
Manky-Flanker
Hookisms and Hyperbole
clivemcl
funnyExiledScot
The Great Aukster
Standulstermen
EST
sensisball
Cari
MrsP
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
thebandwagonsociety
21st Century Schizoid Man
Scot Abroad
Notch
Don Alfonso
Rava
George Carlin
toml
RuggerRadge2611
Kingshu
BelfastDickVet
UlstermaninGlasgow
44 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium - Page 5 Empty Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 15 Oct 2012, 9:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

So Glasgow Warriors open their home account in the Heineken Cup at their new home, Scotstoun, against the form team in Europe, Ulster Rugby.

Will the injuries suffered in their opening matches of the season be too much for them or will the steely defense that served them well all last season and much of the game against Saints prevail?

Or will the much vaunted and dangerous team that Ulster have been slowly evolving into over the past few years be too much for the Glasgow outfit.

Team news and pre-match build up to follow but it already seems like this could be one of the top encounters of the weekend with Scotstoun close to a sellout 10,000....

GLASGOW TEAM

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Byron McGuigan
13 Peter Murchie
12 Peter Horne
11 Alex Dunbar
10 Ruaridh Jackson
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant
2 Dougie Hall
3 Mike Cusack
4 Tom Ryder
5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)
6 Josh Strauss
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES 16 Finlay Gillies 17 Ofa Fainga’anuku 18 Gordon Reid 19 Tim Swinson 20 Rob Harley 21 John Barclay 22 Scott Wight 23 Niko Matawalu

ULSTER TEAM

(15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, D Cave, P Wallace, A Trimble; P Jackson, R Pienaar;

(1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (c), D Tuohy, I Henderson, C Henry, N Williams;

Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson, M McComish, P Marshall, L Marshall, C Gilroy.

Last edited by UlstermaninGlasgow on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium - Page 5 Empty Re: Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium

Post by Morgannwg Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:55 pm

Notch wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:]There are better in this comp Notch, Glasgow are better than they were, but they are not exactly known for their scrummaging, yet they are causing Ulster a world of problems at scrum time. Ale

Yeah, but if you actually pay attention to rugby- instead of who's 'known' for what- you'll notice that Glasgow have one of the very best scrummaging tightheads in the Pro12 and excellent technique.

They may not be 'known' for their scrummaging but you're watching the two best scrummaging sides in the Pro12. French teams are still better though. And Tom Court needs to up his game against the wily Cusack.

Ospreys aren't playing tonight though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium - Page 5 Empty Re: Heineken Cup Round 2: Glasgow Warriors vs Ulster Rugby, Friday 19th October 8.00p.m. Scotstoun Stadium

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:55 pm

The interpretation from the ref was a bit strange though at times. One of the Glasgow pens for popping was given against Court but Cusack came up first.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:56 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

Ospreys aren't playing tonight though.

Thank feic
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:56 pm

Notch wrote:Do not try and make a virtue out of ignorance my friends.

Being handsome and absolutely spot on are about my only virtues.

That is a genuine query of mine btw, why Northampton can scrum illegally, get away with it and get labelled the big scrummagers of Europe.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

Ospreys have a good scrum, used to be fantastic, but they suffered a complete disaster when the outstanding Paul James left. Bevington or Jones at loosehead leaves them in a much weaker state.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I reckon the Ulster forwards are struggling, especially in the scrum, if they have any ambitions about winning this cup they need to learn how to scrummage because they will have to beat better scrummaging sides than Glasgow at the business end of this competition.

Headscratch

The scrum has been one of our biggest strengths..

You are kidding, aren't you ? The Ulster front row are popping up all over the place, you have had two pens against you from the scrum as it is, the one just before half time was a bit better but on the whole Ulster are struggling against Glasgow in the scrum.

I am referring to practically every other game so far this season, and our scrum last season. One dodgy half, in these conditions and against a formidable Glasgow scrum, and you think we need to learn how to scrummage? I am not sure I should take you too seriously with that comment.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:58 pm

Dowlias - top wummer.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:58 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Glasgow scrums were going backwards or coming up at the end of that first half. Glasgow won two scrum and one of them Cusack was up to no good.

The one scrum before half time which I already mentioned, all the others have gone to Glasgow, and being naughty in the scrum is all part of the skill of getting away with it. Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:59 pm

Dowlais - remind me, was it you who claimed that the Edinburgh scrum was dominating in the semi final last season?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:00 pm

Morgannwg wrote:

That is a genuine query of mine btw, why Northampton can scrum illegally, get away with it and get labelled the big scrummagers of Europe.

Because they force the opposition up first. But they are one-trick ponies in the scrum. When it works they are unstoppable but counter it and you can get the better of them. Saints have a good scrum for sure but Toulouse are the best scrummaging side imo.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

Come on Ulster. Fusaro off.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

Ulster need to learn how to scrum???

Just ignore that absolute fool.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:03 pm

Our scrum may have been the a weapon for the better part of the past season and a bit, but we are getting tanked tonight there. We can dance around the subject and say what has happened in the past- its irrelevant tonight. If Glasgow had someone who had the ability to kick then this match would almost be out of sight.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

3 kickable penalties missed by Horne, wish meatball wasn't injured

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

Fair comment H&H. We are obviously under performing in the scrum in this game.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

That kick by Pienaar was fantastic
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

oops Tommy... picard censored

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Dowlias - top wummer.

Yep, because you do not like what I am saying I am a wummer, honestly some of you Irish fans are so blinkered, look before you all start getting precious, I am not saying Ulster are a bad side, they are now one of the best in the Rabo, but I am sorry Ulster are not one of the best scrimmaging sides in the Rabo, they have a decent pack but that's it, and tonight Glasgow are showing Ulster up in the scrum, and I also do not miss much rugby and Glasgow are not formidable scrummagers, so perhaps a few more South Africans and New Zealanders are needed to shore things up. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

Notch wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Because they force the opposition up first. But they are one-trick ponies in the scrum. When it works they are unstoppable but counter it and you can get the better of them. Saints have a good scrum for sure but Toulouse are the best scrummaging side imo.

Well that's what Saints would like you to think. Most, if not all of the French are big scrummagers. It's Toulon, Clermont and Racing Metro as well as Toulouse imo.

I think Ulster have a good scrum and are good, well balanced team by the way. You guys and Clermont are the contenders for the cup right now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

I hope these Glasgow players are back on their feet, these injuries are ridiculous. It must be extremely frustrating.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

STUFUM!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

Worrying for Glasgow? Jackson struggling. Horne off now.

Last edited by Rava on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:STUFUM!

Been on the sauce? Whisky

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:STUFUM!

Headscratch

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:08 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Yep, because you do not like what I am saying I am a wummer, honestly some of you Irish fans are so blinkered, look before you all start getting precious, I am not saying Ulster are a bad side, they are now one of the best in the Rabo, but I am sorry Ulster are not one of the best scrimmaging sides in the Rabo, they have a decent pack but that's it, and tonight Glasgow are showing Ulster up in the scrum, and I also do not miss much rugby and Glasgow are not formidable scrummagers, so perhaps a few more South Africans and New Zealanders are needed to shore things up. Rolling Eyes

That is your opinion though, the fact a lot of people disagree with you doesn't make them "blinkered". I would seriously have to question what on earth you are basing this opinion on however.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:09 pm

So that means Glasgow are once again out of backs on the bench... Hard to believe but the injury toll grows ever more...

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:09 pm

That's McGuigan and Horne both off.

Good job that we have an experienced coach who knows that having a 6-2 bench split is stupid. Oh. Wait.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:09 pm

Also who's going to kick, neither Wight or Jackson fill me with confidence

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:09 pm

So unfair for Glasgow, these injuries.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Smile

But you're wrong! Give a team credit for where they are strong, jeez... this season I have hardly seen Glasgow take a step backwards.

Certainly Court is having a bad night in the scrum but I wouldn't read too much into it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:11 pm

I'm sorry but a scrum doesn't go round like that without cheating. that was not a natural wheel. Brian Moore would be doing his nut...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:14 pm

anyway back to the game...............

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:16 pm

Thats good work from Ulster, the grubber from Wallace and the chase from Bowe.

Thats what'll win this game, if we can back it up with a good lineout and a rolling maul...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:16 pm

Williams can just totally change the dynamics of the game. He turns static ball into an attacking platform.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

oooh! Tommy! He's pretty sexy when he gets cross...grrr! Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

Cari wrote:oooh! Tommy! He's pretty sexy when he gets cross...grrr! Very Happy

Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Williams can just totally change the dynamics of the game. He turns static ball into an attacking platform.

Not if he's tackled properly
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

We've twice had the ball in the red zone and not taken that try. Not quite acceptable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

mckay1402 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Williams can just totally change the dynamics of the game. He turns static ball into an attacking platform.

Easier said than done. Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

I don't understand why Jackson cannot kick a ball into touch.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:20 pm

mckay1402 wrote:

And Glasgow have done well tackling him to be fair. Even then he can bounce a few and will make yards a good few times on the match. Hard to fully contain all the time.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:21 pm

Ulster's lineout is a bit messy.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

I have to be honest, aside from Henry, Henderson and Pienaar at times Ulster have been very poor. I know the conditions are not the best but there has been a real lack of quality from us tonight. We will be very fortunate to come away with a win.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

Notch wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:

And Glasgow have done well tackling him to be fair. Even then he can bounce a few and will make yards a good few times on the match. Hard to fully contain all the time.

yep he's the type of player you need to top and bottom
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

Yeah, we've dropped our standards in both set pieces tonight and I think we'll be taking a hard look at it next week.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

Ulster blindside lying sealing off right in front of the referee.

Ulster penalty.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

Unlucky Ruan Pienaar!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:24 pm

They're right it does seem like a great atmosphere. shame Glasgow can't fill Scotstoun every other week
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:24 pm

We just aren't taking our opportunities here. The set piece below par too. Not good.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:24 pm

ooh just falls short again for Pienaar.

Still 3 - 6 after 59 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next