The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS subs

+4
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
hend085
barragan
8 posters

Go down

GPS subs Empty GPS subs

Post by barragan Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Just about to pay my annual Skycaddie subs for the next 12 months.

I wonder when SC will drop their fees. It seems a bit ridiculous not to in the current market, and surely it will do more damage to their sales than if they just upped the initial outlay cost for the device. Otherwise, many will just switch to their competitors who offer a GPS device with no annual payment. When mine packs in I'll be seriously considering other options.

barragan

Back to top Go down

GPS subs Empty Re: GPS subs

Post by hend085 Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm

how much does it cost out of interest?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 pm

its about £30p/a, extra £5 for europe, and £10 for world wide off the top of my head. they're really kicking themselves in the balls with it in my opinion.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:57 pm

I have the Garmin G3 which doesn't have any subs. That said, when I checked the other day it was ~$50 for a map upgrade.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:15 pm

I have the golfbuddy tour. Spot on for £150 and no ongoing subs. It had the 3 courses we played in spain recently, all the courses I play over here (Isle of Man) and the few I have played in the UK.

I guess unless my home course changes where the greens are it'll be bob on for a long time yet. (extremely small chance of that happening given our finances)

Only slight disadvantage is temp greens aren't in there so a laser would win that round (as long as there weren't blind shots) for the winter.

Mine has (I think) distances to 5 "target" areas per hole for tee/second shots and front middle back of green. this is more than enough for me, but out of curiosity what extra information is available on subscription GPS devices?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 pm

My DMD is free, other than the fuel that feeds it.

It is called the brain. Try using it guys.

Wink

I hate the use of smiley's but it seems some on here are a little sensitive when it comes to banter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 pm

says the hypocrite with a laser in his back pocket raspberry

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Ha ha, true enough Mac. Although if you got stuck with my brain for a lap you might change your mind...

Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them. O W Kenobi, long time ago from far far away. (He could tell you how far exactly with a GPS or laser).

Yes - I have resorted to a totally unrelated sci fi cop out to try to justify something I have decided to make use of. I unashamedly like my GPS though. It makes me enjoy unfamiliar tracks more and I believe home scores have improved (although my putting improvements have got a lot to do with that).

I find I enjoy it more, and our club has joined in in permitting their use so I figure why not.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:36 pm

It is true, I have a laser rangefinder. Although I never use it when I deem the course interesting. And only use it on the braids when practicing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Golfbuddy voice, no subscription, 30,000 courses preloaded (some in countries I've never heard of). Updates all free too. Admitedly, the info it gives is basic, but if I could always hit the middle, front or back of a green when I wanted I'd be a happy bunny!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Golfermartin, what do you make of the Voice? I thought about getting one in the summer - had no DMD at the time - and decided against it as i didn't like the idea of having it on my hat and it talking to me! I went for a Bushnell Neo Plus instead. Still only gives front, middle and back (enough for me) but sits nicely on my bag
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:10 pm

McLaren wrote:My DMD is free, other than the fuel that feeds it.

It is called the brain. Try using it guys.

Wink

I hate the use of smiley's but it seems some on here are a little sensitive when it comes to banter.
Is that why you were bemoaning your pants golf recently? raspberry
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm

MPB

I think it's good. It only talks the distance when you want it to, you have to push the button. At other times, it will tell you which hole you are on when you arrive at or close to the tee. You don't have to have it in sound mode at all, you can clip it to the bag and just use the read out. Or because it is so small put it in your pocket and take it out when you want to look at it. When in "speak mode" it has volume control so that someone has to be within 10 yards to hear it and within 5 to understand it. I like it cos of the price (I'm a cheapskate) and I don't like wearing watches - the Garmin was the other contender.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Last edited by SetupDeterminesTheMotion on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong)
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down