The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subs reduced from 7 to 5

+3
jimbohammers
Derbyblue
hodge
7 posters

Go down

Subs reduced from 7 to 5 Empty Subs reduced from 7 to 5

Post by hodge Thu 21 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20110721/league-clubs-to-reduce-subs-from-7-to-5_2293334_2398424

as title says really, can it actually be a good thing? Gives youngsters less opportunity to get game time in my opinion.

Last edited by hodge on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

hodge

Back to top Go down

Subs reduced from 7 to 5 Empty Re: Subs reduced from 7 to 5

Post by Derbyblue Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:52 pm

You got the numbers in the title the wrong way round.

It seems a poor move to me, I don't see how they can say it helps with finances surely all teams when not struck by some horrible luck with injuries can put out a team of 18. Also as you say it will probably make it harder for some of the young players to get games, as you can't really waste a spot on a player who may come on for the final 10 minutes.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

I think we will see a fair few weakend squads in the cups now and maybe where teams could have tried beating a better team will now play other young players to give the 1st teamers a rest.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

Clubs were never obliged to have a bench of 7 players, scrapping the rule so close to the start of the season is stupid. Some clubs with larger squads would have bought players to increase the strength of their backup, only to find there is no room for them to be a sub.

Rule should be 5 subs + 2 others that are under 21 and have came through the clubs youth system.

Multiball was scrapped a couple of weeks ago as well; why is the Football League so intent on going backwards rather than forwards?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 22 Jul 2011, 7:12 pm

Bit annoyed at this tbh, will stop our youngsters getting experience

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 22 Jul 2011, 7:29 pm

Certainly trickier to pick a squad now, and will take a bit more tactical thought from coaches ahead of time.

But in honesty it wasn't long ago that it was only 5 anyway. Clubs may welcome less players travelling with the squad in terms of saving expenses anyway!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 25 Jul 2011, 2:58 pm

Seems dumb to me. Chances are most clubs will take extra players in order to cover against injuries in warm ups anyway. Can understand the ruling in the lower league where finances are tight but at Championship level it's just stupid and stops youngsters getting a go. Sven was interviewed about it last week and said they'd been no consultation with the managers!

Rule should be 5 subs + 2 others that are under 21 and have came through the clubs youth system

With ideas like this you should be working at the Football League. Much better plan than what the numpties have gone and done.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 25 Jul 2011, 3:01 pm

no consultation with league managers........ Doh

I would agree with the 5 sub + 2 U21 as it promotes youth into first team games, however you then see the value of good young players sky rocket

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 25 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

I can't understand the logic behind this move at all. It will hinder younger players getting into match day squads and teams may start not putting keepers on the bench again, running the risk of matches being spoilt.

Seven seemed to be a sensible number to me:
1. Goalkeeper
2. Full Back
3. Centre Back
4. Winger
5. Central Midfield
6. Attacking midfield/striker
7. Target man

It gave decent coverage all over the field for most positions.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

I always found matches where one keeper went off and there was no replacement quite entertaining.

Surely if clubs have to play some of their youth, they might be pleasantly suprised with how well some step up. Even if it lead to inflated values, wouldn't bigger clubs buying them be putting money into a smaller club and decrease the financial gap between the top two tiers?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 4:07 pm

i think its a good idea to reduce it to 5..

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 26 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

any reason....?

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Karld Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

I know this happened a while back now, but i still cant get my head round why it was introduced.

I mean both ourselves (millwall) and pompy had situations last season where injuries and suspensions meant we couldnt field 7 subs. But it didnt make any difference to finances at all that we only had 5 or 4 guys on the bench.

I agree both with having 5 + 2 U-21's as a bench, but also having 7 subs allows you to cover all risks of injuries on the pitch.

Its a terrible rule change by the football league which will only serve to hamper english youth teams due to the lack of chances playing for their club.

Karld

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down