The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ping irons...convince me (!)

+11
McLaren
hend085
lorus59
Roller_Coaster
BlueCoverman
JAS
super_realist
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
SmithersJones
barragan
15 posters

Go down

Ping irons...convince me (!) Empty Ping irons...convince me (!)

Post by barragan Sun 21 Oct 2012, 5:31 pm

I'm planning to invest in some new irons in the next month or two. I had a fitting with titleist a few weeks ago. Was advised toward a combination of cb 3-6 (or 7), and mb 7 (or 8)-Pw, with kbs tour 90 s shafts or dg s300 either fitted at the same cost. The lighter shaft on the kbs is aimed at the average player , and seemed to give me a tighter dispersion - approx 5yards right of the target typically with the dg more like 5-10yards right typically. I've since demo'd the dg for a few weeks with good results. Just
waiting for my pro to set up a kbs option to carry for a few games.

Popped into AG this evening to try out some more options. The one iron which stood out for great feel was the ping i20. Always been a bit sceptical of ping irons. Bags, putters and woods have always been where they've excelled in my book but i'm intrigued by these offerings. Anyone got anything to add or advise?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Ping irons...convince me (!) Empty Re: Ping irons...convince me (!)

Post by SmithersJones Sun 21 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

I've never liked Ping irons because of the offset and thick top line. I'm sure that's not always the case nowadays but that's what put me off them.

The set you were recommended sound much like my Nike Pro Combos. I've got the dg s300 shafts in them and I love them, especially the blades (8, 9, PW)
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:12 pm

I like the Ping S series irons but not a lot else, pretty much for the same topline/offset reasons as Smithers. Heard some rumours about the i20s delaminating, a flaw that Ping knows about and has acknowledged. I'd check whether this has been fixed.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 22 Oct 2012, 12:03 am

I was fitted for clubs last year. Told the pro I simply didn't like the look of Pings, so don't bother. He asked me to keep an open mind. I was using Hogan Apex Edge, but hit Titleist, Mizuno and Ping. Test driving was believing - I settled on the Ping i15s, and am happy with them. Good luck Barragan.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 22 Oct 2012, 7:21 am

I had a problem with quality on S57 a few years ago. I went through 3 sets so gave up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 22 Oct 2012, 8:21 am

What was the quality issue ?
I'm going to try and get hold of a demo club this afternoon and give it a try on the range - impossible to get a proper test in a net. Problem will be finding a place who'll do a proper fitting. Not sure where id go up here and its a long way to gainsbourough.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 22 Oct 2012, 8:26 am

The quality issue was that the faces of several clubs bubbled up, making it very unsightly. Nice clubs apart from that though.

I'm also not sure if it's still the case but the custom fitting options were deplorable. Yes you could get loft and lie adjusted, but you had zero shaft options, which as we all know is vital.

I've gone right off them now, although I know plenty people who speak highly of them.

Do Gleneagles not do fitting for Ping Barragan? I know they do a few brands up there. You've also got Taylor Made at Linlithgow and Titleist in Edinburgh near you and Callaway/KZG/Miura in St.Andrews too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:04 am

super_realist wrote:The quality issue was that the faces of several clubs bubbled up, making it very unsightly...
That sounds quite similar to the i20 delaminating issue people have reported.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 22 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

I got Custom fitted earlier in the year and went with the i20's (previously had G10s). The G10s served me well but the swing changes I made over last winter it was time to move on. Love the flight I get off them and how I can work the ball. It took me quite a wee while to adjust to the change in distance as well.
I did try the blade offering from Ping (the s56?) but just couldn't get on with them anything like the i20s.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:00 am

i was really surprised how good they feel jas. i thought the decision between a cast and a forged club would be a no brainer, but they really got me thinking. i actually quite like the look of them. unconventional yes - but not ugly like some previous pings i've had a look at. in my opinion they have a great contemporary look... but i'm still caught in two minds between them and a titleist cb/mb combo. i think the pings work out a bit cheaper but if they're sooooo much more forgiving then that might be a deal maker. had a wee browse re. the delamination thing. seems to be an early launch issue - not seen so much about it in recent months. one thing that did put me off a bit was when the 'advisor' mentioned that he reckoned he got an extra 20 yards out of them ... i obviously look pretty gullable monkey

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:18 am

I traded in my Ping i15 irons at the end of August for the new Ping Anser forged irons fitted with project X shafts. Absolutely love them, comfortably the best set of irons I have ever had the pleasure to play with...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:22 am

Pings have always felt a little clanky to me and the fat top line has also always put me off trying them in earnest.

That said, I've not touched a Ping iron for a couple of years now and I have read something somewhere that the modern castings are much improved so the difference to some forged offerings is often minimal.

Just a brand that I automatically look past. A bit like Wilson even though their FG Tour irons look really nice.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:10 pm

Barragan...re the extra 20 yard thing....I was getting about 16-17 yards more out of my i20 7 iron than my G10 on the trackman.
When I started playing with them the additional length I was getting especially into the wind (because of the better trajectory) really threw me for a few weeks. Now to be fair that could just have been down to the change in fitting and the change in swing since the original G10 fitting.
They do feel so sweet compared to the old Gs which as I say served me well but can completely understand other posters "clunky" comments on the G but definitely NOT the i's

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm

Is the extra distance due to a massive Taylor-made esque de-loft or something like a shaft lengthen. Or are the new clubs hitting it longer on a true like for like basis? (and if like for like do you think it's natural swing/fitting changes or down to the club itself?)

Also, dumb question as I haven't paid attention to Ping for years... What is the difference between "G" and "i" in the Ping range?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

I think G is for hackers and I for better players.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

G = Game improvement
I = Improved a bit already

I'd say a bit of a combination of all of those things Roller.

My swing changed quite a bit in the 4 years between the g10 and i20 fitting. So probably a bit unfair on the G's sticking them on the trackman now as I'd basically out grown them.

The Gs are Game improvement irons so they are designed specifically to get the ball in the air, all well and good but that then tends to make them balloon higher into the wind which is generally the last thing you want.

The I's I probably couldn't have hit with any degree of consistency 4 years ago.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:32 pm

Super really loves hackers. If there was golf ethnic cleansing then I can see him in the Gestapo uniform.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:35 pm

I've no problem with hackers, but call a spade a spade. If we see a rubbish footballer people are all over them with criticism. No point in pretending they are better than they are.
In real terms compared to others, I am also a hacker. It's all relative.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

'Tis an emotional term that provokes debate that's for sure.

Personally I believe golf is a great equaliser and we should all be capable of a bit of patience and understanding of each others capabilities (or incapabilities).

A laudable statement that is stretched to the limit when there's a group in front taking 5 hours to get round, never hitting the ball more than 100 yards, never straight, always in bunkers, trees, fishing balls out of water hazards, waiting for greens to clear 250 yards away, reading putts from 5 different angles before 4 putting etc etc.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:26 pm

still yet to pick up the titleist cb in fitted shaft option and ping i20 demo's. having looked into the i20 a bit more the thing that is making me unsure is the constant assertation on reviews etc that its aimed at mid handicappers around 18 down. i play off 5, and my ball striking with my irons is one of the better areas of my game. just not convinced that the i20 would be as benefitial as going to a more traditional club like the titleist. having said that, didn't westwood use the i20 for a while - and his iron play is certainly miles ahead of mine! add in the fact i've been striking my mizuno mp32 blades really well recently... dilemma!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:40 pm

id say its more likely westwood was using irons that had i20 written on them rather than i20 irons!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:42 pm

I think for piece of mind Barra find yourself a custom fit place (which has a trackman) and bash as many as you feel you need to and see what the stats say and mix that with how they feel and you'll have a well informed correct answer that you'll have a lot of confidence in.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:50 pm

hend085 wrote:id say its more likely westwood was using irons that had i20 written on them rather than i20 irons!

Not sure that is the case. In the video below he mentions his old I10's were basically straight out of the factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRY81lahg94

It is also interesting that he can tell if a club will work after 2/3 shots.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

barragan wrote:still yet to pick up the titleist cb in fitted shaft option and ping i20 demo's. having looked into the i20 a bit more the thing that is making me unsure is the constant assertation on reviews etc that its aimed at mid handicappers around 18 down. i play off 5, and my ball striking with my irons is one of the better areas of my game. just not convinced that the i20 would be as benefitial as going to a more traditional club like the titleist. having said that, didn't westwood use the i20 for a while - and his iron play is certainly miles ahead of mine! add in the fact i've been striking my mizuno mp32 blades really well recently... dilemma!
Good enough for Westwood and all that....

hend085 wrote:id say its more likely westwood was using irons that had i20 written on them rather than i20 irons!
What? You mean maybe he's using Miura-forged i20 look-a-likes? Must be!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 26 Oct 2012, 2:18 pm

bit tongue in cheek to be honest but i dont believe he bought them in american golf either.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 26 Oct 2012, 2:43 pm

doesn't westy live just up the road from gainsborough?!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 26 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

Only until Christmas and then it's goodbye England and sunny Florida all the way for our Lee and his family...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

Think he has a house over-looking Lindrick. There's certainly one with some nice pitching/putting facilities in its garden and was told that was LW's.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:29 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Think he has a house over-looking Lindrick. There's certainly one with some nice pitching/putting facilities in its garden and was told that was LW's.

Judging by his short game, he can't use them much!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:33 pm

Who knows? Maybe it'd be a lot worse without them!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffCarnage Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:36 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Who knows? Maybe it'd be a lot worse without them!

Ha ha!

JeffCarnage

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

barragan wrote:.... add in the fact i've been striking my mizuno mp32 blades really well recently... dilemma!
I made the change from MP32's to i10's a few years ago, fancied a change and something a bit different. Whata mistaka to maka! Regretted it from right after the first round with them!

Horses for courses though.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Sat 27 Oct 2012, 11:12 am

I have played Ping clubs for years now and had three sets of irons. My present ones are G20's which suit me because I play to 18 (hacker). I also play a G10 driver which I love. They are a bit clunky but they do exactly what it says on the tin. I would rather have a club that suited my game than one that was super sexy but was not suited to my strengths (weaknesses). I agree totally with what is being said here

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 27 Oct 2012, 11:25 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:.

Just a brand that I automatically look past. A bit like Wilson even though their FG Tour irons look really nice.

I felt the same Roller, that was until I went for a fitting, hitting all the brands I could, but could not find anything that went as tight, nicely flighted or as long as the FG Tours. Never looked back since getting them 2 or 3 years ago. Lovely clubs. I had my heart set on a shiny set of Mizunos when I set out!

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down