The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight till the very end - who wins?

+14
milkyboy
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Rodney
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
monty junior
bellchees
TheMackemMawler
ShahenshahG
azania
captain carrantuohil
Valero's Conscience
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fight till the very end - who wins? Empty Fight till the very end - who wins?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:04 pm

Purely for the sake of conversation.

If fights had no set amount of rounds and fights continued until a fighter was stopped or retired who would be the P4P ATG?

I guess the key elements would be stamina, chin and heart.

Would Mayweather and Whittaker be right up there due to them taking less punishment and good conditioining serving well into the late rounds?

Other contenders:

Jake Lamotta - tremendous chin dragging him deep into the fight and finally taking out his exhausted opponant.

George Chavulo (spelling) - possibly greatest chin ever and same sentiment as Lamotta.

Who would you pick or at least highly rate?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Fight till the very end - who wins? Empty Re: Fight till the very end - who wins?

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:17 pm

Have to say that LaMotta wouldn't have looked too good against Robinson after the St. Valentine Day's massacre if the Sugar Man had been permitted to continue punching him for the rest of the evening. Ditto Chuvalo against Foreman, I fear.

Like Monzon for this one. Simply remorseless.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Fight till the very end - who wins? Empty Re: Fight till the very end - who wins?

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:22 pm

Those with the greatest chins happen to be face first fighters. I wouldn't a cent on them winning. They will just take more punishment for longer.

I'll go for Hagler. Liston also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:24 pm

I think someone like Tua would be much further ahead than he ought to be and Chavez sr who'd be rated higher than he already is. Boxers would suffer the most but inside fighters who roll and slip punches would go far far ahead.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:25 pm

Your choice of Hagler points to the inconsistency inherent within your first sentence, Az. He's a pretty good selection, although not, I would argue, as strong as Monzon. Liston surprises me; always thought Sonny needed to do damage early, myself.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Your choice of Hagler points to the inconsistency of your first sentence, Az. He's a pretty good selection, although not, I would argue, as strong as Monzon. Liston surprises me; always thought Sonny needed to do damage early, myself.

Nope. He mentioned Chuvalo and Jake. They had strong chins and were face first fighters. Sonny was just a thug and I'd have him in a death match anyday.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:29 pm

You said that those with the greatest chin happen to be face first fighters. Hagler had one of the greatest chins in history and wasn't. Nor was Monzon, whose chin was equally sound.

A death match, of course, isn't the same as a fight to the finish. It implies the absence of rules. Stamina here would be essential, not Liston's strong suit.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:You said that those with the greatest chin happen to be face first fighters. Hagler had one of the greatest chins in history and wasn't. Nor was Monzon, whose chin was equally sound.

A death match, of course, isn't the same as a fight to the finish. It implies the absence of rules. Stamina here would be essential, not Liston's strong suit.
You misunderstand me. I meant the two that was picked. Ali had a great chin. Hardly a face first fighter.

Hadn't Liston fought a 15 rounder?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

Sonny once went 12 with Eddie Machen and looked less menacing at the end than at the beginning. Otherwise, a couple of 10-rounders and a couple of nines.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

Steve Colins could go on forever at a frightening pace.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:12 pm

A prime Holyfield would never give up, ever.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:14 pm

A prime Holy was stopped by Bowe, TMM. Great warrior, no doubt, but not unstoppable.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:17 pm

Sugar Ray Leonard and Duran would be two of the best at this, these two aren't losing to many people.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:18 pm

Wasn't he suffering from hepitaitis and a heart condition? when he was fit in his prime the likes of Lewis and Tyson couldn't even stun him, ATG chin.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

I agree with Bellchees that Duran must feature somewhere in this; relentless as a 135 lb man and had that knack of coming on strong in the late stages. Swept plenty of good quality away in the championship rounds in the fifteen round era.

I think of today's batch, Froch would be nigh-on unbeatable at 168 lb.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:22 pm

monty junior wrote:Wasn't he suffering from hepitaitis and a heart condition? when he was fit in his prime the likes of Lewis and Tyson couldn't even stun him, ATG chin.

I wonder what aided his recovery after the Moorer fight Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:22 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I agree with Bellchees that Duran must feature somewhere in this; relentless as a 135 lb man and had that knack of coming on strong in the late stages. Swept plenty of good quality away in the championship rounds in the fifteen round era.

I'd disagree on Froch, I think he could have fought Ward for 2 or 3 days and not hurt him badly.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:22 pm

I think someone like Ibeabuchi would be an absolute nightmare as he is - if he was allowed to go on for 15-20 25 or however many rounds he's probably end up the greatest of all time. Also Calzaghe, endless stamina and excellent recovery although his hands might regret it. Pep, Jofre, Locche etc would fight for years on end- their opponents arms would fall off an hour or so into the fight.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

Micky Ward would do well, he was a man that was meant to last and absorb punishment all night. Thinking about it, imagine Ward-Gatti had it been infinite rounds

I would pick hagler to be there at the top also, he was so bullishly strong, had power, great chin, superb conditioning, great stamina and he wasn't a brawler who absorbs 3 to get 1 off

Can't see chuvalo doing anything, true he had an awesome chin but wasn't really good enough to wear his opponents out moreso than himself. Tua is a good call, granite chin, power to turn a fight, high stamina, pretty much everything you want

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:26 pm

The man with hepatitis and a heart condition managed to floor Bowe in the sixth, so I'm slightly sceptical about its effect overall. Just walked onto a lovely, crisp short right which he didn't see coming.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:26 pm

An obvious one we're missing actually would be Manny, I think this format would suit him.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:28 pm

Az won't like this, but Jeffries, who trained for 20-odd round fights, would have to rank quite highly in this category.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

Henry Armstrong's style would wear down the most durable of opponents

Armstrong vs Chavez Sr would be fun

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:39 pm

bellchees wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I agree with Bellchees that Duran must feature somewhere in this; relentless as a 135 lb man and had that knack of coming on strong in the late stages. Swept plenty of good quality away in the championship rounds in the fifteen round era.

I'd disagree on Froch, I think he could have fought Ward for 2 or 3 days and not hurt him badly.

Intersting, Bellchees.

It's fairly obvious to me that Froch could never beat Ward in a boxing match as we know it, barring a astronomical upset. But in a fight where Froch has to keep coming at him for twenty-five rounds or so? Ward's a classy inside operator, but at the same time a fair amount of his success against Froch was based on winning the fight going away. He does have a tendancy to step off the gas just a wee bit late on, too. Whether this is down to conditioning or simply because he's in a strong enough position to do so (and it probably is the latter, to be fair) we can't be one hundred percent sure of either way, but boxing on the move against an iron-chinned war lord like Froch has to take a toll eventually, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

bellchees wrote:

Are you sure, Ward was looking quite jaded in the 11th and 12th if I remember and Froch was having his best spell of the fight and looked fresh

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 23 Oct 2012, 7:49 pm

Agreed with Chris and WHU - Wards only glaring weakness is his tank and he is visibly less effective at the end despite taking breather rounds. Over and endless fight Ward is tired and taken out by Froch

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:03 pm

Jeffries,Langford and Johnso.n would be my best bets.

Jeffries' considerable attributes suited longer fights, and this makes him a strong contender against any heavyweight in history over forty five rounds or so. Men like Joe Louis, who fought at a measured pace, or Jack Johnson, who, while lightning fast when he wished to be, could also fight flat footed and rely on his superb reflexes and subtle movement to avoid punishment, would be the only favourites to beat him IMO

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Az won't like this, but Jeffries, who trained for 20-odd round fights, would have to rank quite highly in this category.

Funny enough I was going to mention him. Together with his bromide and Jack Daniel between rounds. Fight till the very end - who wins? 3933776953

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:25 pm

Thing is with a fair amount of the fighters, such as Jeffries that are mentioned I don't even think he'd last the 12 with Lewis etc. to be honest with you.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Thing is with a fair amount of the fighters, such as Jeffries that are mentioned I don't even think he'd last the 12 with Lewis etc. to be honest with you.

censored
warning

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:34 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Thing is with a fair amount of the fighters, such as Jeffries that are mentioned I don't even think he'd last the 12 with Lewis etc. to be honest with you.

He'd better hope not, Lewis needed an oxygen tank after 8 rounds, never mind going 45 with a highly agile man like Jeffries.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:39 pm

Granted if he can take Lewis' shots (Which would suprise me for a littler HW to take them) then he has a genuine shot, but for me he would probably get stopped in 6. Don't think he'd have the defensive nouse to stay away from Lewis or the chin to stay up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 23 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Granted if he can take Lewis' shots (Which would suprise me for a littler HW to take them) then he has a genuine shot, but for me he would probably get stopped in 6. Don't think he'd have the defensive nouse to stay away from Lewis or the chin to stay up.

Alex Jeffries was a no midget in fact a shade over 6ft.2ins., weighed 220lb., (stats which measure up to Holyfields) he could sprint 100yards in under eleven seconds and high jump six feet.

In addition, his feats of strength were were absolutely astounding. These are documented, and require no interpretation. Anybody familiar with his training routines or the Jeffries story in general will know that his strength and athleticism would be a good match for today's heavies.

Most historians liken his strength to that of Foreman, and his left hook to that of Liston.

The only think Jeffries lacked was finesse. The rest he had in bucketloads.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

To add to what Rodders was saying Jeffries was indeed no midget, in his last defence against Monroe there was no official weigh in but most reports have him weighing anywhere between 219 and 240 with most agreeing he was around the 225lb mark (all agree none of it was fat), that is heavier than Liston weighed against Ali, Frazier weighed in any of his three Ali fights and is pretty much bang on what George Foreman weighed in at in the Rumble and nobody considers the idea of any of those being in with Lewis a physical mismatch.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm

We've come to a point Jeff where i think its easy to dismiss the old timers due to the super heavies we have these days, I always thought Lewis looked a better specimen when he weighed around the 16 half stone mark.

Lewis fought a Croatian Mavrovic who I'm sure would've weighed less than Jeffries, Lennox threw the kitchen sink and couldn't shift him, plent of evidence to suggest Jeffries would take Lewis into deep waters IMO.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:34 pm

As I find myself frequently telling TSMR rodders bigger is not always better

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:A prime Holy was stopped by Bowe, TMM. Great warrior, no doubt, but not unstoppable.

I said Holyfield would never give up. Not that he was unstoppable?

While the "Bowe Trilogy" may have been the peak/highlight of his career I would argue a "prime Holyfield" campaigned at cruiserweight (regardless of the length of time he spent there at the top level). Given his warrior spirit, strength, ability and endurance he would beat any fighter in history, below 200lb, over the unlimited distance, IMO.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:47 pm

I'm never writing IMO ever again. It's written as a get out clause, sort of, "please don't attack me, it's only an opinion".

It's the most pointless three letter acronym in existence. Everything I write is obviously my opinion (unless I'm possessed each time I post, which i am not).

R.I.P I.M.O

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:57 pm

JGI, TMM.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm

Has nobody mentioned Greb yet? Insane pace, speed and chin. Dirtier than coxy left in a room with Rachel Cordingley too.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

JGI, enlighten me captain...
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm

A Google search of JGI gives me Joint Genome Institute?

Hmmm....Joint Genome Institute, TMM.

Shocked

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:45 pm

idea Jolly Good Idea Smile

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:49 pm

Jolly good idea....

It is, too. I suppose I use "in my opinion" when I'm trying to emphasise that what I'm saying should be open to interpretation rather than a fact. With Evander, I hear what you're saying, although would say that I think that others at various weights have given a greater impression of permanence, if that's the right word. Always had the impression that Monzon would beat you the same whether the fight was scheduled for 15 or 50 rounds.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm

I agree with you about Monzon.

I'd have thought more obscure names, from way back when, would have been put forward by the more knowledgeable 606ers such as your good self, Chris, Manos, Ghosty, Rowley and the like. It's a shame because I like to learn.

I think this is strobe effect, black and white footage territory. Advantage to the old boys.... they're proven.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 24 Oct 2012, 1:26 am

Ad Wolgast.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 24 Oct 2012, 7:57 am

Pryor... Especially with panama in the corner in case he needed a pick me up.

Also, Once sanchez had taught him a valuable lesson, there was a relentlessness about azumah nelson that would have made him formidable over any distance

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 24 Oct 2012, 8:23 am

The format suits boxers and brawlers as they can conserve energy. Swarmers can't keep up the pace all night. Hagler would be a decent choice, as equally at ease boxing and in a war. I don't know enough about Monzon to offer any counter on this, so I'll accept the comment on face value that he would be better.

Last edited by bhb001 on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mis-type)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm

Barney Ross at lightweight would be the most likely to give Duran massive problems, iron chinned and one of the best at conserving energy, he would have to weather an almighty storm but history proves he could do it. At welterweight a fight to the finish between any of Robinson, burley and Gavilan is anyone's guess, would have to favour robbos superior power but I'd guarantee it would take all night for even him to finish them off.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 24 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:I'm never writing IMO ever again. It's written as a get out clause, sort of, "please don't attack me, it's only an opinion".

It's the most pointless three letter acronym in existence. Everything I write is obviously my opinion (unless I'm possessed each time I post, which i am not).

R.I.P I.M.O

Very true but IMO i would still like to use it now and again!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next