The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight till the very end - who wins?

+14
milkyboy
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Rodney
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
monty junior
bellchees
TheMackemMawler
ShahenshahG
azania
captain carrantuohil
Valero's Conscience
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fight till the very end - who wins? - Page 2 Empty Fight till the very end - who wins?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Purely for the sake of conversation.

If fights had no set amount of rounds and fights continued until a fighter was stopped or retired who would be the P4P ATG?

I guess the key elements would be stamina, chin and heart.

Would Mayweather and Whittaker be right up there due to them taking less punishment and good conditioining serving well into the late rounds?

Other contenders:

Jake Lamotta - tremendous chin dragging him deep into the fight and finally taking out his exhausted opponant.

George Chavulo (spelling) - possibly greatest chin ever and same sentiment as Lamotta.

Who would you pick or at least highly rate?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Fight till the very end - who wins? - Page 2 Empty Re: Fight till the very end - who wins?

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 24 Oct 2012, 12:59 pm

Not sure about Gavilan, although he was a brilliant fifteen round fighter. I tend to think that, if we're talking unlimited rounds and a fight to the absolute finish, that you need to be at least some kind of puncher to be successful. Gavilan just couldn't punch. He also used up a fair bit of ring when he boxed, too, so might tire himself out.

Basilio would be a nasty bugger in this category. He had Gavilan on queer street two or three times and was desperately close to knocking him out in the second round. Gavilan finished that fight very, very well, but it may well have been a different story under fight to the finish rules.

Robinson, of course, is a fine shout.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Fight till the very end - who wins? - Page 2 Empty Re: Fight till the very end - who wins?

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 24 Oct 2012, 4:35 pm

I don't think Steve Collins would make it very far - Eubank had him going and he wasn't a top tier puncher although he could certainly bang. Eubank prior to watson could have finished him there and then.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Oct 2012, 7:37 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Not sure about Gavilan, although he was a brilliant fifteen round fighter. I tend to think that, if we're talking unlimited rounds and a fight to the absolute finish, that you need to be at least some kind of puncher to be successful. Gavilan just couldn't punch. He also used up a fair bit of ring when he boxed, too, so might tire himself out.

Basilio would be a nasty bugger in this category. He had Gavilan on queer street two or three times and was desperately close to knocking him out in the second round. Gavilan finished that fight very, very well, but it may well have been a different story under fight to the finish rules.

Robinson, of course, is a fine shout.

I do see your point but I don't think many are going to outlast Gavilan and bigger punchers would see there chins crack before his would do. Basilio cuts too easily to be overly successful in a fight to the finish.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 24 Oct 2012, 7:47 pm

Monson and Hagler rightfully mentioned but I think Greb and Ketchel have got to be considered,Ketchel at Middle could knock you out in round 1 or 21,and Greb had the chin ,stamina and skill to last.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 24 Oct 2012, 8:11 pm

I wouldnt back Jeffries to go 12 with a good many later heavyweights myself. He was a giant among mainly middleweights, light heavyweights and cruisers. I dont think he would have the same kind of advantages against men bigger, more powerful and better skilled than him.

I dont really know who I would pick overall. You obviously need the requisite skill to accompany things like heart and durability. Maybe Larry Holmes? Technically very good, good recuperative powers and able to dictate tempo and pace quite well.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2