The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather may be forced to fight!

+12
Jukebox Timebomb
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
ArchBritishchris
coxy0001
Rowley
Scottrf
manos de piedra
oxring
D4thincarnation
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Liam_Main
Raymond
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mayweather may be forced to fight! Empty Mayweather may be forced to fight!

Post by Raymond Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Watching KOTV last night I heard that Floyd Mayweather Jr may be forced to make a big money fight in the near future. Apparently he owes 9 million dollars in taxes (amount differs depending on source), and due to his gambling and court cases, current finances may not cover this. Do you think it will lead to the fight we all want to see?

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Mayweather may be forced to fight! Empty Re: Mayweather may be forced to fight!

Post by Liam_Main Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Its possible but I can't see it happening a fight with Miguel Cotto or Kermit Cintron is more likely I would love to see him fight Pacman or Martinez but realistically is it going to happen I don't think so.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Yea I heard about the cotto & cintron rumours, I could swear it was roger mayweater who said it and rubbished spadafora rumours. The thing is that a fight with cotto and cintron will make him well over $9mil so he won't have to fight after those fights. Cotto alone will make over $10mil. Mayweather would beat both of them comfortably imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Both of these fights would be an 'easy' pay day for Floyd yes, but I was thinking Floyd may want to make as much money as he can, he has said him self he only fights if the money is right so I think he may go for the bigger money.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Why? Is this guy on his case again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5Qn6IQDhY laughing

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Yea I heard about the cotto & cintron rumours, I could swear it was roger mayweater who said it and rubbished spadafora rumours. The thing is that a fight with cotto and cintron will make him well over $9mil so he won't have to fight after those fights. Cotto alone will make over $10mil. Mayweather would beat both of them comfortably imo.

He will still have to pay tax on those earnings.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:17 pm

If he wants big money - its Manny.

Although actually - I reckon the 2 of them have ballsed this fight up. Any PR student will tell you that you have to move when you've captivated the public's interest. The interest died away 2 years ago and was forgotten about. This delay hasn't "sold" the fight, rather the opposite.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:19 pm

oxring wrote:If he wants big money - its Manny.

Although actually - I reckon the 2 of them have ballsed this fight up. Any PR student will tell you that you have to move when you've captivated the public's interest. The interest died away 2 years ago and was forgotten about. This delay hasn't "sold" the fight, rather the opposite.

Yes the opportunity has passed to maximize the money from that fight.

Mayweather does seem to have a gambling problem and as SBS will tell you that can only end badly.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:25 pm

I agree with with oxring. The Mayweather v Pacquiao thing has been overcooked.

Still going to massive if it happens. Still going to break records etc

But ideally 2008/9 would have been the time.

You want both guys to meet carrying form and interest. Not Mayweather who is semi retired coming back intermitantly to keep the tax man off his back or Pacquiao who has one foot in politics and possibly one eye on retirement.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:25 pm

He could pay that tax bill by selling his watches.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I agree with with oxring. The Mayweather v Pacquiao thing has been overcooked.

You want both guys to meet carrying form and interest. Not Mayweather who is semi retired coming back intermitantly to keep the tax man off his back or Pacquiao who has one foot in politics and possibly one eye on retirement.

I would have said March 2010

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:30 pm

To be honest whilst pretty much all of us have had our fill of the debate and then some still think were the fight made there is not a one of us who would not hand over out £15 for the PPV in a heartbeat.

Is still comfortably the biggest fight out there and would still smash records.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm

rowley wrote:To be honest whilst pretty much all of us have had our fill of the debate and then some still think were the fight made there is not a one of us who would not hand over out £15 for the PPV in a heartbeat.

Agreed - but they've probably lost the wallets of a lot of casual fans around the world. Shame etc.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:I agree with with oxring. The Mayweather v Pacquiao thing has been overcooked.

I would have said March 2010

Post Mayweather v Marquez 2009 for me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:33 pm

rowley wrote:To be honest whilst pretty much all of us have had our fill of the debate and then some still think were the fight made there is not a one of us who would not hand over out £15 for the PPV in a heartbeat.

But we are all big boxing fans, to generate the big bucks you need to sell it to the casual fan, whilst this could still be done, it will not be on the same scale as it was back in March 2010.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:36 pm

I dont think the fight has suffered majorly in terms of what it will generate financial wise. People are going to pay regardless. I just think has suffered quaity wise. Both guys are now pretty much at the end of their careers. Mayweather has been inactive and Pacquaio is now heavily involved in politics.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

To play devils advocate though you could argue it could potentially be bigger than ever. When it was first mooted the bulk of folk fancied Floyd in this. However in the intervening period Manny has looked great and has been very active and will continue this trend against Dorian.

On the flipside all Floyd has is inactivity and legal problems, would not be hard to sell this as levelling the playing field slightly and given Floyd has become an event bigger moob outside the ring recently would not be hard to see people falling over themselves to see him beaten and if there is a perception this could actually happen could boost the sales.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:43 pm

rowley wrote:To play devils advocate though you could argue it could potentially be bigger than ever. When it was first mooted the bulk of folk fancied Floyd in this. However in the intervening period Manny has looked great and has been very active and will continue this trend against Dorian.

On the flipside all Floyd has is inactivity and legal problems, would not be hard to sell this as levelling the playing field slightly and given Floyd has become an event bigger moob outside the ring recently would not be hard to see people falling over themselves to see him beaten and if there is a perception this could actually happen could boost the sales.

Manny answered all the questions against Cotto. How would he do against a top class welter in his prime? Could he deal with the power? Would his punch power carry up?

People have become bored with the subject and whilst fans that watch boxing will watch it, cross over appeal with the general public will be very much less.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:54 pm

In about 4 weeks time, Floyd won't have fought for a year. He has slowed down a shade as well and the ring rust could well show. There'd be a 4-6 month build up to a Manny-Mayweather clash - which means he would have been out of the ring for 18 months. That's a long time. In the meantime, Manny should have gone through Margarito and Dorian. And be looking for someone else to beat (hopefully Bradley at LWW before retiring). Floyd isn't getting any younger and was booed by US fans at the Ortiz-Berto fight. Weird PR exercise really.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

oxring wrote:In about 4 weeks time, Floyd won't have fought for a year. He has slowed down a shade as well and the ring rust could well show. There'd be a 4-6 month build up to a Manny-Mayweather clash - which means he would have been out of the ring for 18 months. That's a long time. In the meantime, Manny should have gone through Margarito and Dorian. And be looking for someone else to beat (hopefully Bradley at LWW before retiring). Floyd isn't getting any younger and was booed by US fans at the Ortiz-Berto fight. Weird PR exercise really.

I think we all know that will they fight won't they fight was no PR exercise to generate hype. Floyd stock has nose dived since last summer, and quick buck easy fight such as Spada will not generate as much as Floyd may think.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

You know why most are beyond caring? Why for most it doesn't hold the same buzz?

Nuthuggers

They've poisoned every single boxing forum on the subject.

Comparison:

How many of us are massively excited about Haye vs Wlad? And not just Brits, the internet is buzzing for a big HW fight between 2 proper talented & legit heavies.

And although that subject has seen past debates it got knowhere near the level of drivel the nuthuggers have produced over the last 2 years.

It'd still be massive, but the hardcore fans have become tired of the repetitive rudey poo being trotted out by nuthuggers.

Thank god for when he retires, that's all i say

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:50 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:I think we all know that will they fight won't they fight was no PR exercise to generate hype. Floyd stock has nose dived since last summer, and quick buck easy fight such as Spada will not generate as much as Floyd may think.

You miss my point good sir!

Basically - Floyd could have retired post-Mosley, saying he didn't love the game again. Stock would have been enhanced and unharmed.

This "not thinking about boxing right now" tripe is tiresome.

Manny is far from innocent here. His "I'm a congressman - I've only got 1 more fight left, unless uncle Bob gives me a couple more" is a bit off as well. And Bob's refusal to let him fight anyone outside Top Rank.

Basically - the way the 2 have handled things with the boxing public for the last 12 months has been average to urine poor
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Basically - the way the 2 have handled things with the boxing public for the last 12 months has been average to urine poor

Dehydrated yellow urine?

And yup, agreed. Arum sniping to the media, knowing full well the ego he's dealing with, hasn't helped things.

We're going to get into the blame game again as D4 will take it off thread. the whole "sun shines out of Manny's bum thing". Isn't it funny how these new guys "posting first time" have been creating articles about FMJ/Manny and then are never to be seen again....?!

Telling the sporting world you won't apply to random testing and then the other party generally being a muppet hasn't really made this fight any more appealing.

I hope they both retire to be honest. Will have a few years in peace until the next nuthugging brigade come along.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Spot on Oxy without wanting to revisit the debate that is one of the aspects of the whole thing that drives me insane, the complete polarity of opinions as if whoever you choose to back is completely without blame and all responsbility for the fights failure to happen rests solely at the other persons door.

Have maintained all along nobody in this is blameless, including the two fighters, their respective promoters, advisors and countless hangers on and HBO. They have all let the sport and the fans down by their failure to do their jobs and actually make the fight the fans want.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:10 pm

An all american clash might raise some finance. Bradley or Judah perhaps. Doubtful the Pacquiao fight will happen now after this saga. Presumably, Mayweather doesn't have much longer in the game anyway, I can see him coming back for one more fight. Continuing for the money is one of the worst reasons for doing it. How much money would he have left anyway after the 9 million? Could always move full time into promotion, take a large chunk of several fights.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:16 pm

rowley wrote:Have maintained all along nobody in this is blameless, including the two fighters, their respective promoters, advisors and countless hangers on and HBO. They have all let the sport and the fans down by their failure to do their jobs and actually make the fight the fans want.

~ Why dear sir, at last check it was Mr. Manny who has been Johnny on the Spot at maintaining a steady pace of fight dates never missed regardless of which Golden Era Ring top 5 ranked welter is willing to man up to the challenge.

It is the other n'er do well who has bailed out on his fight dates, fans, and now his family.

Can you believe some actually had the temerity to think this Mr. Moneybags was a great fighter?

Clearly a case of mistaken identity.

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Albert I have about as much desire to have this debate with you as I do to have it again with D4, which in the interests of clarity is about on a par with watching an Audley Harrison career box set.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:43 pm

rowley wrote:Albert I have about as much desire to have this debate with you as I do to have it again with D4, which in the interests of clarity is about on a par with watching an Audley Harrison career box set.

Could be worse - could be Skelton-Sprott on continuous replay.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

oxring wrote:
rowley wrote:Albert I have about as much desire to have this debate with you as I do to have it again with D4, which in the interests of clarity is about on a par with watching an Audley Harrison career box set.

Could be worse - could be Skelton-Sprott on continuous replay.

A day watching Skelton Sprott or a day debating Manny and Floyd with D4, dear god I will not sleep tonight contemplating such a choice.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Never knew you were an Audley fan, shall we begin? Whistle

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:58 pm

D4 have to say it as much as you can irritate me at times you're one hell of a good sport. Fair play to you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 pm

What a load of BS.

It's only after his last couple fights that people aren't automatically dismissing Manny as being too small to beat Mayweather.

If this fight happened 12 months ago it would've been the biggest fight in the history of the sport. If it happens in 12 months it will be the biggest fight in the history of the sport, as long as neither loses in the mean time.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:14 pm

No, its only after his last couple that YOU weren't dismissing Manny as too small. Floyd never one to really use his size and impose physically.

People have been calling for this since hatton-pac and the casual sports fan has probably forgotten who they are.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:18 pm

If and when this fight is announced it will be MASSIVE. Mayweather doesn't need to fight regularly he's proved himself. Now that Manny has established himself at 140/147 this fight is bigger than ever.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Would love to see the fight but not sure the tax leaves Mayweather that short. The legal stuff depending on the outcome could be the deciding factor. Don't see him going to prison even if he's found guilty but think the financial punishment will be huge.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:30 pm

The fight will happen they're both just positioning it so that it makes maximum cash.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:The fight will happen they're both just positioning it so that it makes maximum cash.

I dont think so. Mayweather hardly planned his legal troubles and Pacquaio has been increasingly involved in politics. Would be odd preparation for one of the biggest fights in history.

Interest probably peaked around the Pacquaio v Cotto fight/Mayweather Marquez fight.

Nobodys saying the fight wouldnt generate enormous interest or cash if its announced (which begs the question if it was genuinely intended why wait so long?) but most people are resigned to the fight not happening now and its gone from a will they/wont they to a it probably wont happen and thus a drop off in interest.

Theres only so many years fans can discuss "are they going to fight?"

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:The fight will happen they're both just positioning it so that it makes maximum cash.

How much bloody positioning does it take?!? This fight was ripe a year ago.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 pm

If mayweather beats cotto than it becomes as big as ever as people will feel he's back to his best. If it happens it will be the biggest fight in history no matter what, every boxing fans, even casual fans want to see this fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:50 pm

The fight sells it's self. Top 2 in boxing with bad blood.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:The fight sells it's self. Top 2 in boxing with bad blood.

There is no bad blood, Manny has wished Floyd well and prays for him.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:03 pm

If anything the fight sells more with Pacquiao at the top of his game and Mayweather undefeated.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Interest 'peaked' because they were in negotiaitions. If negotiations started again next month interest would peak again. Similar to WK and Haye.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:44 pm

No it peaked because because both fighters were active in the same division off the back of solid wins.

Now its not even clear if Mayweather will fight again or how long Pacquiao will hang around. Even if the fight were to be announced this year it would be Mayweather inactive for well over a year (possibly as long as 18 months) and Pacquiao off the back of an uninspiring fight.

Both guys are closing in on the end of their careers, or at least the end of their careers at the top. Mayweather is approaching mid thirties now which generally sees the diminishing of speed and reflexes. Pacquiao is getting increasingly involved in politics an external distractions and is getting stick for his opposition choices.

The fans want to see the two best guys at the top of their game face off and in this respect the fight has been and continues to be overcooked (if it ever actually was in the oven in the first place).

Obviously the fight will still do massive numbers and huge money but the longer it goes the more asterixes appear.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Interest 'peaked' because they were in negotiaitions. If negotiations started again next month interest would peak again. Similar to WK and Haye.

They've been "in negotiations" 3 times now.

The only time interest was huge - and people who knew sweet fanny adams about boxing were discussing it was Pac-Cotto and May-Marquez.

Yes - the fight would be huge - but those same people (for instance Eng footy fans who were awestruck about Manny's demolition job on Hatton) have forgotten about the 2 of them now.

And however good Mayweather is - he will ALWAYS find it hard to shake off 18 months of ring rust and 2 years of age to come in against a fighter of Manny's calibre.

Only if you think Mayweather has been sipping from the same elixir of youth as Shane "Dorian" Mosley and can reverse the ageing process do you think the fight is as big now as it was then.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh of course, the ENG footie fans who are notorious for following foreign boxing.

When the fight gets announced the hype machine will kick into action and this fight will be more popular than ever. Mayweather and Manny are both undefeated and have looked excellent in their fights since this mysterious peak of interest 2 years ago. In fact the fight would never have been as big back then without all the bad blood between the two over the last year or so.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Oh of course, the ENG footie fans who are notorious for following foreign boxing.

When the fight gets announced the hype machine will kick into action and this fight will be more popular than ever. Mayweather and Manny are both undefeated and have looked excellent in their fights since this mysterious peak of interest 2 years ago. In fact the fight would never have been as big back then without all the bad blood between the two over the last year or so.

Mannys lost 3 times.Although I agree it will be more popular than ever.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Oh of course, the ENG footie fans who are notorious for following foreign boxing.

What bad blood?

Manny and Mayweather are getting out of there prime now. Manny has been slowing down and with his other career now in politics that trend is likely to continue.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Manny and Mayweather are both young enough and have shown absolutely nothing to suggest they are past their prime.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Theres nothing mysterious about it. Its called ageing.

Even if the fight were anounced for late this year Mayweather would be almost 35 and 18 months inactive. Pacquiao would be almost 33 and a State congressman.

2 Years ago Mayweather was 32, active and coming off a good win. Pacquiao was 31, active and coming of a good win and not as heavily involved in the political work he does now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next