The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013

+4
Mike Selig
Shelsey93
ShankyCricket
Hibbz
8 posters

Go down

11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013 Empty 11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013

Post by Guest Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

2013 will promise to bring through a lot of youngsters or emerging players to break through into test cricket, here is 11 i think will break through, making a complete side...

1.Joe Root (england, could be a big year for Joe Root can he fill strauss's boots?)

2.Ajinkya Rahane (india, with sehwag and gambhir both out of form, can he grab his chance if he gets it)

3.Joe Burns (australia) A lot of talk about this young batsman, with punter and hussey nearing the end, will he get a chance.

4.Quinton du Kock (south africa) Very talented batsman, who can also apparently keep...would mean south africa's batting lengthens considerably and also allows AB to go back into the field.

5.Jonny Bairstow (england) Played well at end of english summer against saffers, can he keep his spot in 2013 and make consistently big runs?

6.Chetswhara Pujara (india) Big things expected from this guy, can he fill VVS's boots?

7.Kaushal Silva (sri lanka) Has scored runs in test cricket, is a handy gloveman, can he put P.Jayawardene under pressure for his place?

8.Doug Bracewell (new zealand) Has made a good start to his test career, can he really establish himself on the test match scene?

9.Sunil Narine (windies) Has made a good start to limited overs cricket on turning pitches, but can he do it in test cricket, on pitches that dont spin?

10.Marchant de Lange (south africa) Had a dream test debut, but saffers are lucky to have so many quicks, can he break into the side, or will he be rotated so they all stay fresh?

11.Junaid Khan (pakistan) We know his class in odi and t20 with his death bowling, but can he really do the business in tests, he reverse swings the ball at a good pace and could be very useful for pakistan!

Back to top Go down

11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013 Empty Re: 11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013

Post by Hibbz Mon 29 Oct 2012, 6:37 pm

I've got a hunch Samit Patel could stake a claim for a permanent test place this year. I'd really like to see him bloom given a bit of support and encouragement from the English coaching staff.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013 Empty Re: 11 emerging players to breakthrough in 2013

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 29 Oct 2012, 7:14 pm

Erm Junaid is a far better test bowler than in the shorter formats.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm

Junaid was very good in one-day cricket for Lancs.

We did a similar thread last year so thought I'd seek it out:

In fact, on having a look my XI for 2012 was my very first post.

My XI was:

Shelsey93 wrote:1. Ajinkya Rahane - Might not get much of a go in Tests in 2012 but a phenomenal domestic record and a good temperament shown in ODIs
2. David Warner - Has shown real commitment in turning himself from somebody who couldn't get in the ODI side to somebody who could succeed in Tests
3. Shaun Marsh - Test cricket has come at a time when his game is in a good place and flaws have been worked on in first-class cricket
4. Nasir Hossain - Young Bangladeshi talent who scored 100 against Pakistan in a one-dayer. Looks like he could be a good player
5. Virat Kohli - A top performer to whom Test cricket should be no real issue
6. Kirk Edwards - A difficult start in international cricket but really starting to come through. Bravo has played enough Tests not to qualify for this list
7. Jonny Bairstow - Highly unlikely to keep in Tests but lack of young keepers means I have to pick him here
8. Ravichandran Ashwin - Very good player and has proven himself to be more than a one-day spinner. Look forward to seeing how he does against Australia
9. Vernon Philander - A great start in Test cricket
10. James Pattinson - Not as good as Cummins in my opinion but can't argue with his first two Tests
11. Pat Cummins - Really impressed with the way he not only bowled some great spells to legends such as Jacques Kallis but at times led the attack on Test debut

So I had two shockers - Marsh and Kirk Edwards, four good calls - Pattinson, Kohli, Ashwin and Philander (though in fairness they all did a lot of good work in 2011), and a few in-betweens.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 10:36 pm

For 2013 I would say:

1. Ajinkya Rahane - I'm picking him again because he still hasn't had a chance, and when he does I still think he'll do well.
2. Nick Compton - Not young but should make a Test debut, and has the capacity to go well from the off.
3. Cheteshawar Pujara - Has got a massive opportunity to bat three for India. Can he take it?
4. James Taylor - Has slipped down the pecking order rather unfairly. Will prove the selectors wrong if he gets a chance.
5. Dinesh Chandimal - Faded off the scene at the World T20, but is immensely talented and should surely secure a regular place in the SL top five.
6. Asad Shafiq - Has already played more Tests than most I've named, but could be good for a breakthrough year.
7. Dane Vilas - SA selectors don't like him, but has a great record and should really be pushing hard for international recognition.
8. Mitchell Starc - Great form of late has pushed him into the top category of youngsters.
9. Sunil Narine - How good is he really? A one season wonder or a genuine star?
10. Junaid Khan - Needs to find consistency. If he does, he could be very good.
11. Shannon Gabriel - Hope he gets another chance after an impressive debut.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

To be fair this time last year I was telling everyone that Marsh was a fantastic player who would nail down the number 3 slot.

Then he had that horror series against India, and to be fair my impression is he's done ok in subsequent first class opportunities, but he does seem to be down the pecking order for now. Bit of a shame, I still think he's a fine player who just had a shocker.

I think Starc could do something this year; another to look out for could be Josh Hazzlewood - looks to have bulked up a bit and has a nice, solid, repeatable action; if he gets a chance (which, given Australia's fast bowling stocks is a big if) I can see him making an impact.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

Well, I'd go for :

Mukund/Rahane
Compton
Pujara
Taylor
Williamson(about time he breaks through really)
Duminy(can I include him given that he has not done much in tests as of now even though he is fairly experienced?) If not, I'd go for Manoj Tiwary.
Vilas(wk)
Starc
Boult
Narine/ Raza Hasan
Eranga

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:39 am

Eranga's a good shout Shanky. Impressed me when he played against Australia and troubled Ponting in particular. Limited opportunities since, but I think he looks a good bowler.

Boult also bowled some good spells in India. And Gabriel looks a decent prospect.

Fast bowling stocks beginning to look good again...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

Yep, Eranga bowled really well on test debut on the flattest wicket on the planet but got injured thereafter. Think he'd do well. Not sure about Gabriel. Looks gun barrell straight to me.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Junaid was very good in one-day cricket for Lancs.

We did a similar thread last year so thought I'd seek it out:

In fact, on having a look my XI for 2012 was my very first post.

My XI was:

Shelsey93 wrote:1. Ajinkya Rahane - Might not get much of a go in Tests in 2012 but a phenomenal domestic record and a good temperament shown in ODIs
2. David Warner - Has shown real commitment in turning himself from somebody who couldn't get in the ODI side to somebody who could succeed in Tests
3. Shaun Marsh - Test cricket has come at a time when his game is in a good place and flaws have been worked on in first-class cricket
4. Nasir Hossain - Young Bangladeshi talent who scored 100 against Pakistan in a one-dayer. Looks like he could be a good player
5. Virat Kohli - A top performer to whom Test cricket should be no real issue
6. Kirk Edwards - A difficult start in international cricket but really starting to come through. Bravo has played enough Tests not to qualify for this list
7. Jonny Bairstow - Highly unlikely to keep in Tests but lack of young keepers means I have to pick him here
8. Ravichandran Ashwin - Very good player and has proven himself to be more than a one-day spinner. Look forward to seeing how he does against Australia
9. Vernon Philander - A great start in Test cricket
10. James Pattinson - Not as good as Cummins in my opinion but can't argue with his first two Tests
11. Pat Cummins - Really impressed with the way he not only bowled some great spells to legends such as Jacques Kallis but at times led the attack on Test debut

So I had two shockers - Marsh and Kirk Edwards, four good calls - Pattinson, Kohli, Ashwin and Philander (though in fairness they all did a lot of good work in 2011), and a few in-betweens.

Nasir averages over 40 and has few 50's, got out at 96, 94 aswell

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 25 Nov 2012, 10:23 pm

Nasir still looks an excellent talent. Don't really understand why Bangladesh bat him so low.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Nov 2012, 11:31 pm

CF wrote:

1.Joe Root (england, could be a big year for Joe Root can he fill strauss's boots?)

But right now he cant even get in the team. If Compton makes a good score on this innings he will stay the second opener into the summer no question. Even with Trotts iffy form I cant see him going anywhere quickly, not when the middle order is still so open.

Roots certainly not going to get a game till summer at best, hed have to get off to a flyer to establish himself

Hibbz wrote:I've got a hunch Samit Patel could stake a claim for a permanent test place this year. I'd really like to see him bloom given a bit of support and encouragement from the English coaching staff.

Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 26 Nov 2012, 1:08 am

I'm gonna just stick to a few players.

Quinton de Kock. Very exciting batsman and good keeper. Would reduce pressure on AB if he was in the national team.

Unmunk Chand. Was excellent at U19 level. Playing well for Delhi at present. A few more good performances and he'll be in their national side pretty soon.

Jos Buttler. Excellent young limit overs player. Could be the X factor England need to win a 50 over World Cup

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 26 Nov 2012, 1:22 am

Gerry SA wrote:

Jos Buttler. Excellent young limit overs player. Could be the X factor England need to win a 50 over World Cup

He batted 5 times in the T20 world cup and got a highest score of 15 and that was against Afghanistan.
Got out for 0 in his only ODI, averages 13 in T20s.

His international X factor seems limited to voting on American Idol

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 26 Nov 2012, 1:25 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

He batted 5 times in the T20 world cup and got a highest score of 15 and that was against Afghanistan.
Got out for 0 in his only ODI, averages 13 in T20s.

His international X factor seems limited to voting on American Idol
Come on that's harsh.

He's been very good for Somerset and he's only young so he'll get better the more he plays.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 26 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

Buttler has had the terribly hard task of making himself at home in international cricket whilst batting in the death overs of T20s.

For that reason he needs to be cut more slack than somebody who was batting higher up the order. However, more consistent performance is clearly a must, and soon. Overall, he's a great player for Somerset and I see no reason why he shouldn't be a fine international limited overs batsman.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 26 Nov 2012, 10:33 am

To be fair whats probably been the mistake ( and this is classic England thinking ) is the idea that T20 is a steeping stone to ODI which is a stepping stone to tests....regardless of which formats best suit a player. Buttlers list A record is far more impressive than his T20 one. Whilst hes known as a big hitter I do agree that as has happened to other players whes been pushed into the role of slap and gigle merchant when theres actually more to his game.

He may however turn out to be anlothr Patel or Ramprakash and just not menatly capable of taking the increased pressure.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 26 Nov 2012, 8:26 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Nasir still looks an excellent talent. Don't really understand why Bangladesh bat him so low.

his young, I guess doesn't want him to be in a lot of pressure, decent place to bat behind Shakib a strokemaker before Mahmadullah a guy who rotates the strike well.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Well, Purjara doesn't look much cop does he?

I mean, his form is clearly slipping terribly - he only averaged 70 in the last match, compared to his infinite average from the first test (247 runs without dismissal).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

i put Quinton Du Kock in there and i think he could have an outside chance of batting 6 against NZ...

JP will still be injuried, and Elgar had 2 ducks in his first test and looked awful...du kock could get a chance against NZ as saffers my also rest players against them...this could be their side if they dont rest players.

1.Smith (c)
2.Peterson
3.Amla
4.Kallis
5.AB
6.Du Kock
7.Faf
8.Peterson/Tahir
9.Steyn
10.Philander
11.Morkel

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:19 pm

To be honest I expect either Rudolph will come back, or a 'keeper will be given a go (hopefully not Tsolekile, but I think we've debated that one enough now).

I'm probably being very English in saying that I think its too early to thrust a 19 year-old whose only played 14 FC matches.

I know he keeps but I'm not sure that would be a good idea at all. If he's your bright young talent with the bat you want him to focus his energies on that - giving the gloves to any other batsman whilst taking them away from AB is therefore illogical.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:23 pm

i never said he would take the gloves and i think SA will keep AB keeper as long as possible..

but du kock could play against NZ not the most difficult side to start against, and they could try him to see how he goes, i cant see Rudolph playing again in the test side to be honest..he apeears to be one of them players who is almost too good in f/c cricket but cant quite hack international level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 04 Dec 2012, 1:59 pm

It would be very retrograde of SA to turn back to Rudolph who will be 32 then. They really need to be looking at a long term keeper. The New Zeland series is the perfect time to do this and let ABD get back to his batting or at the very least have a reserve for whne it breaks him

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down