The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand 2012

+6
msp83
chrisss
Shelsey93
KP_fan
Mike Selig
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand 2012 Empty Sri Lanka vs New Zealand 2012

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:35 pm

Placeholder for the series.

Series is 1 T20, 5 ODIs and 2 Tests

SL squad:
T20: http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-new-zealand-2012/content/squad/588109.html

NZ squad:
Limited Overs squad http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-new-zealand-2012/content/squad/586320.html
Test squad http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-new-zealand-2012/content/squad/586322.html

1st T20 was due to start around now (13.30 GMT), however it's "pelting down" at Pallakele according to Cricinfo

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand 2012 Empty Re: Sri Lanka vs New Zealand 2012

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:41 pm

Covers are being lifted now.

And there's some interesting tweaks to the international playing conditions which come in for this series http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/588728.html

DRS (Test and ODIs)
An amendment has been made to the LBW protocols. The margin of uncertainty applicable to the point of impact with the pad has been increased so that it is the same as provided for determining the projected point of impact with the stumps. For example, if the centre of the ball is shown to be impacting in line within an area demarcated by a line drawn down the middle of the outer stumps (and the bottom of the bails), then the decision will always be out.

If the whole of the ball is shown to be impacting outside the line of the stumps, then the decision will always be not out. If there is anything in between, the original on-field decision will stand.

No-balls (All formats)
After every dismissal that is not permitted off a no-ball, and subject to the availability of technology, the third umpire will check for a foot fault and advise the on-field umpire accordingly over a two-way radio.

Dead ball (All formats)
The playing conditions have been altered to include the use of the Spydercam, a camera that moves over the field on suspended cables, by broadcasters. If the ball, while in play, is hit by the batsman onto the camera or its cables, it will be called a dead ball.

Over-rates (All formats)
The allowances given to the fielding team because of time wasting by the batting team will be deducted from the allowances granted to the batting team in the determination of its over-rate.

Changes for Test matches

Day-night Tests
Participating countries can decide whether to play a day-night Test. The two boards will decide on the hours of play - six hours per day - and on the specifics of the ball that will be used.

Intervals
Although the duration of the lunch and tea intervals remain unchanged - 40 and 20 minutes respectively - the host team, with the consent of the other side, can apply to the ICC for an approval for intervals of 30 minutes each.

Changes for ODIs

Powerplays and fielding restrictions
There will be only two blocks of Powerplay overs, instead of three. For uninterrupted innings, the first block will be during the first ten overs and only two fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle. The second block, comprising five overs, will be taken by the batting side and must be completed by the 40th over. Only three fielders will be allowed outside the circle during the second Powerplay.

During non-Powerplay overs, a maximum of four fielders can be placed outside the circle, a reduction from the earlier five.

Short-pitched deliveries
Law 42.6 (a) has been amended to allow the bowler a maximum of two short-pitched deliveries per over in an ODI.

Changes for Twenty20 internationals

One-over per side eliminator
In both innings of the eliminator, the fielding side will choose which end to bowl from. Only nominated players in the main match may participate in the eliminator. Should any player be unable to continue to participate in the eliminator due to injury, illness or other wholly acceptable reasons, the relevant laws and playing conditions as they apply in the main match shall also apply in the eliminator. Any penance time being served in the main match shall be carried forward to the eliminator.

The fielding captain or his nominee shall select the ball with which he wishes to bowl his over in the eliminator from the box of spare balls provided by the umpires. The box will contain the balls used in the main match, but no new balls. The team fielding first in the eliminator shall have first choice of ball. The team fielding second may choose to use the same ball as chosen by the team bowling first. If the ball needs to be changed, then playing conditions as stated for the main match shall apply.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

Play will start at 14.15 GMT, no overs lost.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

So they've changed the PP laws again... I can't get that excited by it. Although I do wonder what it means for our young french guys - usually local tournaments are a good year behind actual international cricket for regs, so does this mean we'll have the previous version (10+5+5, second blocks only between 16 and 40) or the even previous one (2nd blocks at any time) or even the current regs? I literally can't contain my excitement whilst we wait. Although I assume for (sound) financial reasons we won't be using 2 new balls. And obviously we'll still be playing in white, cos you know, that's traditional. Although the seniors play in blue now...

/end{rant}

No, in all seriousness, the requirement for the 3rd umpire to check a no-ball at every dismissal is an obvious one, so good to see some common sense. I still don't like it (the effect of taking a wicket and then having it taken back is too deflating and has a disproportionate effect on the flow of the game), but if you are going to recall batsmen for no-balls being bowled, then you may as well be consistent and do it all the time.

Day-night tests are such an obvious thing (if the ball can be sorted) as well.

Some common sense from the ICC then. And another inane and unnecessary change to ODI cricket. Some things change, and some don't, obviously.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

Sri Lanka win the toss, will bowl first on a greenish pitch. No kit sponsor for NZ this match.

Teams:
NZ: RJ Nicol, TWM Latham, BB McCullum†, LRPL Taylor*, JEC Franklin, JDP Oram, RM Hira, AM Ellis, TG Southee, KD Mills, BJ Watling

SL: EMDY Munaweera, TM Dilshan, KC Sangakkara†, AD Mathews*, BMAJ Mendis, HDRL Thirimanne, NLTC Perera, KMDN Kulasekara, A Dananjaya, LD Chandimal, RMS Eranga

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

Maiden over to start from Mathews to Nicol
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

Latham gone, bowled Kulasakera for 4. 5/1 after 2.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:36 pm

McCullum goes caught at mid on trying to slog Kulasakera.
10/2 off 4 Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:44 pm

Nicol plum LBW to Eranga. 15/3 in the 6th Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

Franklin nicks out to Perera. 20/4

Doh Crying or Very sad Sad steam

Whisky
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:53 pm

they are 4 down to lankan medium pacers...what is this pitch a green minefield ?

who is this guy Hira? seems of Indian origin with a very medicore FC record.

Nathan macCullum was a few days back in the CLT20 winning side for Sydney....why didn't he join the tour ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

KP_fan wrote:they are 4 down to lankan medium pacers...what is this pitch a green minefield ?

who is this guy Hira? seems of Indian origin with a very medicore FC record.

Nathan macCullum was a few days back in the CLT20 winning side for Sydney....why didn't he join the tour ?

Hira's been around domestic cricket for a while, there's a reasonable population of Indian-descended people in NZ - a lot moved from Fiji after the military coups there post 1987 (Fiji's population is ~45% Indian/Pakistani as the British imported labourers for the sugar cane plantations in the 1800s).

N McCullum arrived in SL yesterday, presumably they've given him this match off to recover from jet lag.

24/5 in the 9th, and it's raining again
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Still raining in Pallakele.

Weather gods may just save NZ.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:20 pm

Play back on, 14 overs each. NZ 34/6 after 10.

Let it rain!
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

I like the powerplay changes, although I still think there is room for improvement!

I'd like to know exactly how much difference having a powerplay early on actually makes - on the assumption that it does improve boundary opportunities then we need it for the first 10 to counter the two new ball.

I also like having it between 36 and 40, as this differentiates the last 15 overs from the previous 35.

What I don't like is the over-regulation of other parts of an ODI - number of fielders in/ out the circle throughout etc. I'd rather that the rest of the game was played out under normal conditions, allowing the captain to set a really defensive field if he likes (chances are he won't want to anyway). These rules are also exceptionally difficult for even hard-core fans to follow - I can't imagine what the casual viewer makes of it.

I also see no reason why the first 10 and the other powerplays have slightly different regulations - surely adds further to the confusion.

The two new balls have been good I think.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:17 pm

NZ got through to 74/7, Tim Southee top scoring with 21no off 10. Only Southee, Ellis and Oram reached double figures.

Needing a D/L adjusted 72 SL were 6/0 off 2 when the rain started again and the match was abandoned.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:37 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:I like the powerplay changes, although I still think there is room for improvement!

I'd like to know exactly how much difference having a powerplay early on actually makes - on the assumption that it does improve boundary opportunities then we need it for the first 10 to counter the two new ball.

I also like having it between 36 and 40, as this differentiates the last 15 overs from the previous 35.

What I don't like is the over-regulation of other parts of an ODI - number of fielders in/ out the circle throughout etc. I'd rather that the rest of the game was played out under normal conditions, allowing the captain to set a really defensive field if he likes (chances are he won't want to anyway). These rules are also exceptionally difficult for even hard-core fans to follow - I can't imagine what the casual viewer makes of it.

I also see no reason why the first 10 and the other powerplays have slightly different regulations - surely adds further to the confusion.

you do realise that this was a t20..

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

CF wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:I like the powerplay changes, although I still think there is room for improvement!

you do realise that this was a t20..

I put in a post about changes to all formats up-thread CF - this is a series thread.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm

Yeah, was referring to the changes in general rather than their application today (when, of course, none of them were actually used)

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Wed 31 Oct 2012, 12:34 pm

I see Jesse Ryder scored centuries in both innings for Wellington against Central Districts- surely he can't be far away from a recall for NZ?

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 31 Oct 2012, 1:36 pm

chrisss wrote:I see Jesse Ryder scored centuries in both innings for Wellington against Central Districts- surely he can't be far away from a recall for NZ?

That was his 1st game back after his self-imposed time out from the game. He hasn't made himself available for NZ selection as yet.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

i think he would be good batting in the middle order to be honest for NZ...they have tried opening with him but in tests IMO he is better suited to the middle order.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:31 pm

Jessie is a real fine player and I hope he'll be back in all formats soon. Think he could do a pretty good job up front in limited over formats and he should bat in the middle order in test matches.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

With Jesse you've got to say he's had plenty of chances, discipline wise.

Should he be given another one? I don't know. He's already had at least 3 or 4 'last chances'.

Similarly, were KP to do something else tomorrow I wouldn't want him back again...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

Today's ODI was washed out, no play at all in Pallakele.

Seriously, who schedules matches during monsoon season?

Cricinfo did get an interview with Ross Taylor on the new ODI playing conditions though http://www.espncricinfo.com/sri-lanka-v-new-zealand-2012/content/current/story/589170.html
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:19 pm

Sri Lanka's scheduling is increasingly annoying me.

Not only scheduling series in rainy seasons, but also they continue to postpone Test series in favour of ODIs.

Next year's tour of WI has now been called off, leaving WI with hardly any Test cricket in the next year, in favour of an Ind-SL-WI ODI Triseries. Meanwhile, SA's tour of SL scheduled for next year looks set to go the same way...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 6:34 pm

SLC making BCCI look like angels, particularly with test matches. BCCI at least make their side play test matches, and when the team was at the top of their game managed a few additional matches as well. Their atrocities are usually to do with poor overall scheduling of overseas tours without much practice and stuff and preparing flat monsters of road like pitches for home matches.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:33 pm

incredibly frustrating for all concerned!

#monsoonseason

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:07 pm

Monsoon flooding in Colombo means the 2nd and 3rd ODI's have been moved to Palakelle.

Odds on an 0-0 series result must be shortening
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Nov 2012, 5:24 pm

luckily the games have been moved, however its still monsoon season!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

New Zealand gave won the toss and batted in the 2nd ODI. Currently 32/1 after 11!

Brendan McCullum is missing the game due to a stiff back.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

Now 54/1 after 16. Nicol and Watling rebuilding
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

81/1 off 23. Slow slow going Sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:37 am

actually it's a too late for monsoon...there is a bit of retreating monsson in Oct...but it's still kind of bit late even for retreating monsson.....just unusual bad luck hitting the series
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:56 am

106-2 after 28 overs. Rob Nicol out for 46. Ross Taylor in as the new batsman.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 10:57 am

Thisara Perera the wicket taker for Sri Lanka.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

NZ finishes on 250/6, Taylor's 72 off 62 the highlight.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

SL going well at 118/3 in the 23rd, but its raining. Again.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:03 pm

i noticed James Franklin bowled today

he has started bowling a lot more in recent times he bowled a lot for mumbai in clt20....maybe he is trying to strike back some balance between batting and bowling...?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:29 pm

CF wrote:i noticed James Franklin bowled today

he has started bowling a lot more in recent times he bowled a lot for mumbai in clt20....maybe he is trying to strike back some balance between batting and bowling...?

Possibly. Looks like NZ were planning for him and Nicol to share 10 overs with Oram rested.

Still raining, SL will win on D/L if there's no more play.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

Game over. SL win by 14 runs on D/L
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:07 pm

The rain is ruining the entire series, I haven't been able to take a major interest in it so far. Hopefully things will be better for the test matches.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:37 am

Whadda yu mean? if it wasnt for the rain the series would be ruined.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 06 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

3rd ODI got underway this morning in Pallakele, with NZ struggling through to 28/1 after 9 before (surprise surprise) the rain started.

NZ has B. McCullum back from injury in place of Latham and Oram back for the Delhi-belly'd Ellis, SL are unchanged from last match.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

Players got back on for 5 overs earlier, and NZ moved through to 42/2 before the rain returned. Angelo Mathews dropped 2 catches (from Watling and Taylor) off his own bowling in one over, though since he picked up McCullum due to conceding a single off the 1st drop he may not be terribly upset.

Match was reduced to 48 overs before the current break, could be a 40:40 or less now.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:51 pm

Rain has stopped (for the moment), waiting for word on a resumption
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 06 Nov 2012, 1:47 pm

Scheduled restart at 2pm GMT, 33 overs each. NZ are going to have to put their foot down!
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:41 pm

NZ 100-4 in the 24th over. 33 overs per innings. Franklin and Watling in the middle.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 06 Nov 2012, 2:58 pm

119-6 in the 28th over. Watling is batting on 50.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 06 Nov 2012, 3:16 pm

159-6 after 31 overs, Watling on 74.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next