The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch

+6
freemo
kingraf
Good Golly I'm Olly
msp83
aucklandlaurie
Pal Joey
10 posters

Go down

New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch Empty New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch

Post by Pal Joey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 4:51 am

New Zealand:
TWM Latham, HD Rutherford, KS Williamson, LRPL Taylor, BB McCullum*,  
JDS Neesham, BJ Watling†, MD Craig, TG Southee, N Wagner, TA Boult

Sri Lanka:
JK Silva, FDM Karunaratne, KC Sangakkara, HDRL Thirimanne, AD Mathews*, N Dickwella,
HAPW Jayawardene†, PHT Kaushal, KTGD Prasad, RMS Eranga, RAS Lakmal

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch Empty Re: New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch

Post by Pal Joey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:05 am

I've had an eye on this match during the day.
Nice venue at Hagley Park where we'll see some WC matches next year.

There were a few delays with sight screens early on and as such the over rate has been excruciatingly slow.

The highlight so far has been McCullum's dashing knock of 195 runs (just out) off only 134 balls. The rookie Tharindu Kaushal has taken most of the punishment.

NZ currently 420/5 after 74 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch Empty Re: New Zealand v Sri Lanka, 1st Test, Christchurch

Post by Pal Joey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:08 am

Sanga has taken a ripper of a catch at slip to dismiss Nessham for 85... so 420/6 now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:12 am

As cricket isnt that big a deal here in New Zealand, a milestone like being the first New Zealander to score a thousand test runs in a calendar year is worth getting a mention. even if there isnt a lot left of the calendar year.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 26 Dec 2014, 5:20 am

My cousins would beg to differ, laurie. They are cricket mad!
I reckon this is a very good bunch of players. Unlucky to lose Taylor straight after lunch.
(They will be more than a handful in the 50 over game I believe)

Yes, it's a very decent milestone for McCullum. He was pretty brutal today. He scores so quickly when he's in the groove.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 26 Dec 2014, 6:50 am

Fine hand from B Mac. He's at last finding some consistency in test cricket? Real brute of an innings.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 26 Dec 2014, 6:54 am

Jimmy Neesham hasn't really looked a test class batsman, but for all that, he has a pretty decent record with the bat. If only he could develop his bowling further, NZ will have a pretty decent all-rounder who can balance the side.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 26 Dec 2014, 6:56 am

Perhaps they should unleash him as an attacking test opener, let McCullum stay in the middle order and bring in Corey Anderson or preferably Jesse Ryder if he gets his head right. Will have a pretty good outfit with the seam bowling lineup they have.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 26 Dec 2014, 7:00 am

Rutherford can't buy a test run, Fulton is done and dusted. McCullum can add more solidity to the middle order. In young Latham they have found a solid opener. There hasn't been much contribution from the other end unless it was McCullum opening. So to make best use of Anderson and Neesham, think the latter should be send up the order, if he comes off then that would put the opposition attack under early pressure and provide the likes of Williamson, Taylor and McCullum with a fine platform. If he doesn't always come off, then they aren't missing too much at the top anyways, and with him and Anderson in, Southee and Boult will be able to attack more in shorter spells.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 26 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

Trent Boult is seriously seriously good. 

Cook's probably having nightmares already
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:43 pm

Boult is good isn't he. Like a faster, left arm Muhammad Asif. Rate this is one of the better Kiwi teams ever produced, especially if they get themselves a spinner
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

They're so enjoyable to watch, Southee/Boult is right up there with opening bowling partnerships in the world.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 27 Dec 2014, 12:10 am

Yip. Test cricket's always healthier when fast bowling is healthy, as the crowds for the first days of all three boxing days showed. Something about fast bowling. Think Boult/Southee are comfortably behind Steyn/Philander, but they definitely challenge on the "best of the rest" stakes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 27 Dec 2014, 1:12 am

I think you are forgetting a little country beginning with A, raf.

No, not Afghanistan! Smile

SL were in dire straits at 17/3... a recovery of sorts at 54/3 now.
Superb bowling by Boult and Southee. Scary movement with the ball especially earlier this morning.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 27 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

Lanka on the ropes now. 132/9 and trailing by 309 runs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 27 Dec 2014, 2:42 am

SL all out for 138 after 42.4 overs. NZ have a 1st innings lead of 303.
McCullum has enforced the follow on.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by freemo Sat 27 Dec 2014, 12:01 pm

Also good to see Southee has added control to his armour...he has always been a wicket taker,but was guilty of going for plenty... however he now takes wickets and keeps things tight,

freemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 27 Dec 2014, 12:20 pm

Have to say I'm a real fan of this NZ side. Its an exciting, young side led by a terrific attacking catain and batsmen in McCullum. They're seam bowling attack is up there with anyone for me. Boult is looking better and better every time I watch him and Southee has matured into a very good bowler indeed. Hopefully they continue their progress in the longer format.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 27 Dec 2014, 5:50 pm

Southee and Boult are right up there among the best opening partnerships at present. They are terrific in lively conditions, and they both are good on flattish wickets too. In Wagner they have a hardworking and effective backup as well. Its the spin department that they need to strengthen. Craig has had his moments in international cricket, and Sodhi has some potential. But they both need to improve a great deal.......
Williamson and Taylor are class batsmen. Young Latham has lots of promise. McCullum at last has added some consistency to his test batting. Watling is a real fighter with the bat. If only Jesse could sort himself out somehow!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

a great year for Mccullum and NZ in test matches
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 27 Dec 2014, 10:33 pm

Sangakkara out for 1 in his 2nd innings. Caught Watling bowled Boult.
SL 94/2 after Silva was dismissed by Southee earlier.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 28 Dec 2014, 6:09 am

A fighting 152 from Dimuth Karunaratne sees SL on 293/5 at stumps on Day 4, still 10 runs behind NZ's 1st innings.

Mathews hanging in there at 53* but NZ should wrap up this 1st Test match some time tomorrow... weather permitting.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 28 Dec 2014, 7:51 am

SL giving a better account of themselves in the 2nd innings, but they have been too far behind in the first innings. Angelo Mathews is still there to fight from the front, but New Zealand are very much in control of the game and there is too much time left in the game for SL to get away with it.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 29 Dec 2014, 8:32 am

A convincing win by 7 wickets for NZ in the end.
The 2nd Test commences at the Basin Reserve in Wellington on January 3.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 29 Dec 2014, 8:35 am

A win by 8 wickets in the end. Made hard work of getting out the last pair and lost the openers but the experience of Taylor and Williamson guided them home.

A very pleasing victory set up by the aggression of McCullum on the first day which teased Sri Lanka in trying to emulate those heroics. They fought back in the second innings but the psychological damage had already been made.

A year to remember for NZ cricket.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 29 Dec 2014, 8:56 am

Congratulations kia and any Kiwi fans out there.

I think you are 5th now, mate. Overtaken India and SL? Will need to check though.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 29 Dec 2014, 9:20 am

Cheers mate. 5th sounds a lot better than 7th. It's been a year to savour.

Looking forward to the test in the New Year and how this team plays. When they play in a confident, aggressive mood, things happen for them. Still things to work on but finally we have a solid core of senior players who can either consistently make bowling or batting contributions that can take the game away from the other side.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:04 pm

Impressive the way NZ turned things round against Pakistan, and now another very convincing victory achieved with considerable panache.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down