The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years

+13
AlastairW
ME-109
yappysnap
formerly known as Sam
Jenifer McLadyboy
Bathite
HongKongCherry
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ChequeredJersey
Poorfour
HERSH
Rugby Fan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years Empty Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:04 am

Some good news for Harlequins, 3 more years seasons for Nick Evans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20168989

Last edited by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years Empty Re: Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years

Post by Rugby Fan Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am

It's a disgrace that New Zealand poached him for the All Blacks by giving him parents, education and caps.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years Empty Re: Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:18 am

Rugby Fan wrote:It's a disgrace that New Zealand poached him for the All Blacks by giving him parents, education and caps.
laughing

Best fly half in England Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:22 am

His alright but he didn't win NZ the RWC. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years Empty Nick Evans to stay with Quins until 2015

Post by Poorfour Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 am

On the beeb

So in all likelihood, NEv will see out his playing career at the Stoop. A huge re-signing for Quins (even if Botica continues on his current development path), and a big message to the rest of the squad about the clubs' ambitions.

Quins fans are very happy today.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 am

:dance:
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:56 am

Plenty of time for Botica jnr to learn the ropes and eventually take over - respectable piece of business imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 pm

HERSH wrote:His alright but he didn't win NZ the RWC. Whistle

You're right.

I take it back. 2nd best fly half in England.

After World Cup Winner Stephen "Not a Duck" Donald Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Donald's starting to play well, you never know he might get a recall!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:15 pm

One part of me is delighted he's staying, the other part is very annoyed!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:It's a disgrace that New Zealand poached him for the All Blacks by giving him parents, education and caps.
:laughing:

Best fly half in England :whistle:

Hodgson would push him incredibly close

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm

HERSH wrote:Donald's starting to play well, you never know he might get a recall!

If Carter, Cruden, Slade, Barrett, Bylendaal, Anscombe, Taylor, Kerr and McAllister all get injured, there's an outside chance!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Bathite wrote:
laughing

reasonably close
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:40 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Bathite wrote:
laughing

reasonably close
Really? Shocked

Must be because Evans is so understated and calm.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
Bathite wrote:
laughing

reasonably close
Really? Shocked

You think it's closer or less close?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm

If Carter, Cruden, Slade, Barrett, Bylendaal, Anscombe, Taylor, Kerr and McAllister all get injured, there's an outside chance!

and Evans. In fact I think they'd ask Mauger to come out of retirement by preference. Donald has improved from last season but then again last season he was the worst starting 10 in the league.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Best fly half in the North. I am delighted with this news!!!

I can see Hersh's fat lady rolling up to the Stoop already Yahoo

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:01 pm

Given he signed on Halloween, I presume he signed with fake blood?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
reasonably close
Really? Shocked

All I'll say is I must not have seen enough of Hodgson (quite possible) to see what gets him within any distance of Evans. Not that he's rubbish or anything, but Evans is sublime. He is the kind of player who always has time on the ball. Sign of a great player.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Poorfour wrote:[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20168989]Quins fans are very happy today.

Happy Days! Yahoo

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
reasonably close
Really? Shocked

All I'll say is I must not have seen enough of Hodgson (quite possible) to see what gets him within any distance of Evans. Not that he's rubbish or anything, but Evans is sublime. He is the kind of player who always has time on the ball. Sign of a great player.
Jen, IMO you have missed nothing - the difference is a gaping chasm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Spot on ASBO.

Take out the Barnes hyperbole and Hodgson is good but not in Nev's league.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 am

yappysnap wrote:Spot on ASBO.

Take out the Barnes hyperbole and Hodgson is good but not in Nev's league.

+1 to that.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:39 am

Fair enough, I still rate Hodgson at this level but Nev is the best FH in England, best in Britain, probably best in the NH and in the top 5 world wide without a shadow of a doubt
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:51 am

If Evans is so good why does he rarely seem to perform against Sarries?

Sorry I personally can't rate Evans as the best fly half in England when he's so poor against my side. He either cracks or gets himself injured.

To be fair he's not the only Quins' fly half who has a poor game when facing Sarries. Clegg normally implodes in more emphatic fashion.

Like most fly halves when he's put under pressure by a decent defence, strong backrow and starved of possession he cracks.

Got to add some balance to all the hype.

Good signing for Quins of course but I personally would still have Hodgson as my club fly half every day of the week.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:58 am

Out of the times Quins and Sarries played in the last 12 monyhs, once Nev was out, once he did have a poor game and once his kicking wasn't great but he was the attacking catalyst that saw Sarries lose at Wembley. It's not like he becomes a bumbling wreck when he sees Sarries on the fixture list. It's also probably because in those games our pack gets beaten and the emphasis is on stopping Care and Nev playing, which is effective but means Sarries don't use their attack either. And name a better FH in England- if we apply the same rules to Charlie, well he isn't adverse to tge odd game where there is literally nothing resembling attack- which is his job to run. It's not like Farrell has played 10 in every game that Sarries have lost because their attack has been non-existent. And I don't even see any other valid options unless Burns continues to grow
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 am

Chequeredjersey maybe blithering wreck is an exaggeration but Quins' fly halves in general don't handle the Saracens' threat well.

Yappysnap's comment that Hodgson isn't in the same league as Evans is just silly.

When you say better fly half? In what exactly? Best at kicking? Best at passing?

Some fly halves have better strengths. You might someone like Farrell but he has won many games for his side at 10 with his unerring boot and tough defence.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 am

Oh I agree different FHs offer different things and Hodgson is one of the best in the NH ESP with getting his backline firing which he seems To be doing now at Sarries. But for me, most of the time, Nev is decent at all those things and good at most and exceptional at some and is thus the most rounded FH in the NH who would fit into any team's gameplan
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 am

You could have chucked in the fact that he even lost to Connacht, who are well known to be the worst team in the known universe.

Or at least your Universe. I am quite concerned about the reality distortion field that surrounds your Universe if you also think that Hodgson is a better outhalf than Evans.

You are perhaps proof that there is a parallel Universe out there in which these things are in fact true.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:36 am

jennifer mcladyboy I thought in your world and other Irishmen Connacht are the best side in the known universe.

Why is so difficult for you to understand why the top points scorer in the AP and one of the most consistent club fly halves is highly rated by myself?

Hodgson never hit the heights at international level but at club level he's consistently very good. If you saw his performances in the HC this season you would see he has plenty to offer.

Also it's called debate. It would be boring if everyone agreed that Evans is the greatest fly half around.

Chequered jersey I apologise if you think I am rubbishing Evans. I think he's a very good player. I just wonder if he can handle certain sides when they adopt a plan to shut him down.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:41 am

beshocked wrote:jennifer mcladyboy I thought in your world and other Irishmen Connacht are the best side in the known universe.

Why is so difficult for you to understand why the top points scorer in the AP and one of the most consistent club fly halves is highly rated by myself?

Hodgson never hit the heights at international level but at club level he's consistently very good. If you saw his performances in the HC this season you would see he has plenty to offer.

Also it's called debate. It would be boring if everyone agreed that Evans is the greatest fly half around.

Chequered jersey I apologise if you think I am rubbishing Evans. I think he's a very good player. I just wonder if he can handle certain sides when they adopt a plan to shut him down.

Mate, even Carter has been shut down with the right gameplan, no player is absolutely infallible. I agree that Sarries are good at shutting down Nev and our offloading game and that's why I hate playing Sarries more than Saints or Tigers
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:50 am

beshocked wrote:

I'll give you that one. Even I never said that. I just disagree. Of course Connacht are the best team in the Universe. Sure they humbled the European champions 5 tries to nil in their last meeting. Smile

The best Outhalf in the NH will start for the Lions in June barring injury. Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:52 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
beshocked wrote:

I'll give you that one. Even I never said that. I just disagree. Of course Connacht are the best team in the Universe. Sure they humbled the European champions 5 tries to nil in their last meeting. Smile

The best Outhalf in the NH will start for the Lions in June barring injury. Wink

Johnny Wilkinson?

(just kidding kiss)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Johnny Wilkinson?

(just kidding kiss)

No. Dan Biggar of course.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:56 am

True chequeredjersey.

Though saying that I was impressed by Evans and Quins when you guys played Tigers at WR.

Never seen a side bully the Tigers like that in all aspects and I thought you were unfortunate not to get more points.

Evans ran the show well.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:57 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
beshocked wrote:

Johnny Wilkinson?

(just kidding kiss)

No. Dan Biggar of course.

Ah I forgot. He's actually second. Parks will be going

All jokes aside, I'm very happy Parks is having such a good run at Connacht, I feel he was given a lot of crap he didn't deserve and feel Connacht will really appreciate what he brings to the table so he can end his career on a relative high. As for Sexton vs Evans, well that duel looks like it could happen in the HEC as things currently stand...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:59 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
beshocked wrote:

To be fair that makes a lot of sense why you have a healthy respect for Connacht.

Do you mean Owen Farrell? Whistle

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:01 am

beshocked wrote:jennifer mcladyboy I thought in your world and other Irishmen Connacht are the best side in the known universe.

I don't think anyone is debating that bit. The point that myself (and I suspect most others) was trying to make is that Evans is a lot better than that. I agree with Chequered Jersey that any fly half can be shut down with the right game plan. That's not a reflection on the fly half though, it's a reflection on the pack and the platform they provide/disrupt.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:09 am

Big when was the last time Nick Evans played internationally?

You can hypothetically say Evans is much better than Hodgson but Hodgson has 36 caps to Evans' 16. I know New Zealand is much tougher to get into than England but Evans is also largely unproven at international level too.

You might say it's irrelevant but it's not. We don't know how Evans would be at international level these days.

Obviously this is important because you have less time, you are playing better opposition etc.

In theory he would probably handle it well but it's all hypothetical unless he plays internationally again.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 am

beshocked wrote:Big when was the last time Nick Evans played internationally?

You can hypothetically say Evans is much better than Hodgson but Hodgson has 36 caps to Evans' 16. I know New Zealand is much tougher to get into than England but Evans is also largely unproven at international level too.

You might say it's irrelevant but it's not. We don't know how Evans would be at international level these days.

Obviously this is important because you have less time, you are playing better opposition etc.

In theory he would probably handle it well but it's all hypothetical unless he plays internationally again.

Last played in 2007, I believe? He was pretty good and I was very chuffed when we initially signed him as he was good at S12 or whatever it was then too. But, yes, he only has a few caps and they are split between mostly subs appearances and starts at FB.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:18 am

Anyway back on topic I think Nick Evans is a very good player.

Let's just leave it as he is currently one of the best club fly halves in the NH. One of the best fly halves in the AP too.

Good re-signing for Quins but does this mean Clegg will be shown the front door?

Fly halves are currently Evans,Botica and Clegg.

Botica looked good vs LI. Is the 2nd fly half berth truly his now?

If Clegg was to go where should it be?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 am

beshocked wrote:Anyway back on topic I think Nick Evans is a very good player.

Let's just leave it as he is currently one of the best club fly halves in the NH. One of the best fly halves in the AP too.

Good re-signing for Quins but does this mean Clegg will be shown the front door?

Fly halves are currently Evans,Botica and Clegg.

Botica looked good vs LI. Is the 2nd fly half berth truly his now?

If Clegg was to go where should it be?

If I were Clegg I'd move on, as he is going to be 3rd string. Maybe a return to Falcons? Bath?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 am

As Chequered Jersey says his last cap was 2007. However, he was banned from selection after that because he moved to Quins and was no longer playing for New Zealand. As I understand it he didn't want to give up a lucrative career abroad for the sake of playing second fiddle to Carter.

Evans played very well in the opportunities he had, well enough that I've heard a number of New Zealanders bemoaning his absence whenever Carter was injured. In a sense though I agree with you. Even if he had 100 caps it would be hard to compare as he would have had 100 caps behind a New Zealand pack and with New Zealand backs outside him... Much easier than playing behind an England pack with a dysfunctional back row (as a certain coach seemed to insist on playing players out of position) and a Tindall/Noon centre partnership - which is what Hodgson was stuck with for much of his international career.

Wrt Clegg why not Saints? The are lacking at fly half, and I'd rather they signed Clegg than pinched Ford from us!

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 am

Actually ChequeredJersey Newcastle would be quite a good place IMO.

Possibly Worcester too.

Sale could be an option but who wants to get onto a sinking ship?

At Bath he would be 3rd choice too behind Donald and Heathcote.

Big I don't think Saints would want him. They need someone like Hodgson,Flood or Evans.

Clegg unfortunately is well down the fly half pecking order - below the likes of Farrell,Ford,Burns, even Cipriani.

Gametime is what he needs and one of the clubs like Newcastle and Worcester could give him this in my opinion.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 am

beshocked wrote:If Evans is so good why does he rarely seem to perform against Sarries?

Sorry I personally can't rate Evans as the best fly half in England when he's so poor against my side. He either cracks or gets himself injured.

To be fair he's not the only Quins' fly half who has a poor game when facing Sarries. Clegg normally implodes in more emphatic fashion.

Like most fly halves when he's put under pressure by a decent defence, strong backrow and starved of possession he cracks.

Good signing for Quins of course but I personally would still have Hodgson as my club fly half every day of the week.

Saracns, the benchmark by which all other teams and players are measured against...

picard

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 am

beshocked wrote:Big when was the last time Nick Evans played internationally?

Evans will never play internationally again. That boat has sailed, though he must have wondered if the phone would ring last October as All Black outhalves dropped like flies.

But simply comparing caps is a pretty crude measure. You might as well say that Sinbad isn't a great player because he's only got a handful of caps. You need to consider the context. Evans was unfortunate enough to be a New Zealand flyhalf whose career coincided with that of Dan Carter - who most people would agree has been the best 10 in the world over the last 8 or 9 years. A lot of people would say that NEv was the second best for much of that period - but unfortunately didn't have the option to play for any other nation (most of whom would have welcomed him with open arms, I suspect). Charlie was unfortunate enough to be playing at the same time as Jonny, but fortunate enough that his career coincided with Jonny's long injury hiatus. But for that, he might have had fewer caps.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Nick Evans extends Quins contract for 3 more years Empty Hodgson not even close

Post by george doors Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Bathite wrote:
laughing

reasonably close

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by george doors Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 am

Bathite wrote:
laughing

Hodgson!!! I do like a laugh on a Friday!

george doors

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 am

Jimpy wrote:
beshocked wrote:If Evans is so good why does he rarely seem to perform against Sarries?

Saracns, the benchmark by which all other teams and players are measured against...

picard

Sorry Jimpy but Quins no longer fear Leicester. Why would they?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am

beshocked wrote:
Sorry Jimpy but Quins no longer fear Leicester. Why would they?

Because they have us at the Stoop next, and are seemingly incapable of beating us there?

What odds they chicken out of the home game and move that one down the road!? Whistle

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next