The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blaming the Ref for defeat?

+2
disneychilly
emack2
6 posters

Go down

Blaming the Ref for defeat? Empty Blaming the Ref for defeat?

Post by emack2 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 3:31 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9654856/Rugby-must-cut-out-the-backchat-before-it-is-too-late-or-criticisms-of-referees-could-lead-to-insubordination.html
A very good article from Brian Moore especially about coaching in collapsing scrums etc.and tv commentators comments.We all [myself included] have written."We wuz robbed by Ref." BUT chances are we got it wrong as much as the Ref.More and more matches are won by penalties not all are indiscipline there are many tries to milk penalties too.Perhaps we are to quick to blame refs not the players.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Blaming the Ref for defeat? Empty Re: Blaming the Ref for defeat?

Post by disneychilly Mon 05 Nov 2012, 3:50 pm

Sometimes the ref makes a shoite decision, or the ref has a shoite game and invariably someone gets screwed over. That's life. But a team should aim to play better than the other team by such as a margin to take any variables out of the equation-the ref included. That's what SA didn't do against Oz last year, that's what NZ didn't do against France in 07 and vice versa four years later. You don't have to respect the decisions but you have to respect the referee.

Great idea to mike up the refs in football. Would get the knackers in the premier league to shut their gobs all right.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

I don't say this often but I agree with Moore.

In fact I would go further in holding the TV commentators responsible. How many post match, or even perimatch, interviews do we see where the coach is asked about the decisions that went against their team? It is often the first point made by the interviewer and while some interviewees manage to resist the suggestion many respond in the heat of the moment.

This is particularily galling when the commentator's understanding of the Laws of the game are frequently sadly lacking.

I think this has the effect of not only making the fans feel aggreived but also encourages our young players to seek to place the blame for any disappointing result firmly at the feet of the officials. This in turn leads to not only an errosion of the respect they should be showing for the officials and their position but is also a major stumbling block to improving their own performance. Clearly there is no need for me to examine my skills or execution if the reason for the loss was poor officiating!

Some commenators and programs are noticably worse in this regard than others and I wonder if the audience they serve is similarily more likely to blame the ref? I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:02 pm

Also, not sure why this is in the International section?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:08 pm

It needs a global audience MrsP. I think he's spot on with his comments. And not one use of profanity. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:40 pm

It'd be interesting if the RFU supplied a referee to act as a commentator or technical pundit with a brief to explain decisions (rather than challenge them) - I'd greatly enjoy hearing "No, Austin, he's not given that because..."
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:49 pm

Poorfour wrote:It'd be interesting if the RFU supplied a referee to act as a commentator or technical pundit with a brief to explain decisions (rather than challenge them) - I'd greatly enjoy hearing "No, Austin, he's not given that because..."

Good idea.

Or maybe just have the people who are making a living, often from the licience fee, from commentating on the sport actually go to the trouble of learning, or even reading the Laws!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:01 pm

disneychilly wrote:Sometimes the ref makes a shoite decision, or the ref has a shoite game and invariably someone gets screwed over. That's life. But a team should aim to play better than the other team by such as a margin to take any variables out of the equation-the ref included. That's what SA didn't do against Oz last year, that's what NZ didn't do against France in 07 and vice versa four years later. You don't have to respect the decisions but you have to respect the referee.

Great idea to mike up the refs in football. Would get the knackers in the premier league to shut their gobs all right.
In a perfect world you need to play well enough to beat the opponent only and the referee will not influence the game.

This is unfortunately not a perfect world, so now we punt the idea around that in an imperfect world you must have the ability to beat the opponent and the referee.

Sad, but it is the reality.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down