The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP Awards

+11
lydian
User 774433
HM Murdock
Chydremion
lags72
JuliusHMarx
Born Slippy
time please
Danny_1982
laverfan
barrystar
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ATP Awards - Page 2 Empty ATP Awards

Post by barrystar Mon 05 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

I see that Fed picks up the Fan's Favourite for the 10th year running (57% of the vote), but, wait for it Hawkeye, that Andy Murray was 2nd!!!

Fed also won the Sportsmanship award voted for by fellow pro's for the 8th time since 2004 (the break being Nadal's win in 2010). I'm a fan, I don't think he's Mother Theresa, but he's clearly doing something right for those that know him best, his fellow pro's, to keep on voting for him in that category.

I was also very interested to note that the other nominees for sportsmanship were Cilic, Ferrer, and del Potro - I have been particularly impressed by del Boy's generous conduct this year, both as winner and loser, and it's nice to see that recognised.

Haas gets comeback of the year, which is nice to see.

The newcomer of the year is Martin Klizan, who at the age of 23 played 34 full tour matches compiling a 19-15 record and winning at St. Petersburg - you can compare that with what the top 4 (and indeed del Boy) were doing at the same age.

Honourable mention to Djoko's humanitarian of the year award, but in truth that strikes me as a bit of an ATP self-congratulation thing.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

ATP Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP Awards

Post by Guest Thu 08 Nov 2012, 12:05 am

With all that stuff going on I'm amazed that Federer still manages to play so well. He really should take a back seat and concentrate more on his tennis. He can do more of this stuff when he's retired or almost retired.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 08 Nov 2012, 12:13 am

Of course the awards are superfluous - but the sport is also a business as many have pointed out, and the stars the most valuable asset - it's a good way of helping to sell the personalities because that is what attracts many fans to the sport.

Sports Personality of the Year is pretty superfluous too - but fun!

Thank you for your thank you IMBL but I just basically copied link. I love Davydenko's comment - 'he's from Switzerland'! Obviously the implication of neutrality is not lost, but not all players have the same willingness to understand the need to balance the whole tour; tournaments, and players of all rankings. I think in the end it was at Indian Wells that the first tentative negotiations with the slams began, wasn't it, led by Federer as President of PC?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 12:19 am

The schedule described sounds more like that of an international business executive with a full diary of daily meetings & appointments.

Somehow he manages to fit in time with the twins ..... oh and play the odd tennis match too, keeping the bank account topped up.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:31 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
Yes, that's why I think these awards our slightly superficial.
I recognise Federer has done great work behind the scenes etc. but would he have had similar power or influence to do so if he wasn't ranked in the top 50?

I'm not at all sure why you should consider these awards 'slightly superficial', IMBL

In the football world there is an annual award known as the 'PFA Players' Player of the Year Award.' Admittedly the criteria are somewhat different because it is based more on actual performance (in essence who is considered to have had the best season overall), however the concept of being judged by your peers is the same. Many footballers who have received it have commented that to be voted for by your fellow pros represents the ultimate accolade, and hence is the award they value and cherish the most.

As for your (rhetorical...?) question that Federer might not have had similar power or influence "if he wasn't ranked in the top 50" - well, true enough. But personally I would have thought he deserves even more credit given his elite and totally secure status in the sport. By which I mean it would be so very easy for him to simply enjoy all the trappings of his success and highly lucrative sponsorships, without freely giving of his time or troubling himself with the interests and welfare of those players much lower down the food chain .....

Last edited by lags72 on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:06 am

time please wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2012/11/04/atp-world-tour-finals-roger-federer/1681357/

saw this link on another forum - maybe it explains why the player population has consistently voted for Fed amritia?

Nice article. Ties in with the point I made above about it also being for promoting the game, rather than just what we would regard as sportsmanship.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:37 am

Nice article and clearly Federer likes to get stuck in...afforded by his position of course, but nonetheless he has to want to. Previous guys like Sampras were less involved. Suspect it speaks to his natural chairing, coordinating personality traits from a Belbin or MBTI perspective. He'll be missed by the ATP when he's gone...and you wonder what he'll do too...get the feeling he's going to always want a voice.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 08 Nov 2012, 10:07 am

The only important matter I think the Sportsmanship award carries is that it suggests Federers activities on the Council are more favourably received by his fellow professionals than some fans like to make out.

I can't see how the guy would win the award again if he was acting against the interests of the rank and file. Quite the opposite, I'd suggest.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:21 pm

@IMBL, so when Nadal makes a mistake it will hidden in dark and nobody has the right to speak about it where as even silliest of Fed things will be magnified rite? this is nothing other than biased fan worship.

It was clearly proven Nadal didn't do a proper handshake and he didn't show the right sportsman ship after losing, both Fed and Nadal has done some silly talks after their losses but you have to understand these things don't make them a villain over night.

Atleast you have learned something from your mistakes and changed the rude words, appreciated , I hope your rudeness ends there. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:55 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:@IMBL, so when Nadal makes a mistake it will hidden in dark and nobody has the right to speak about it where as even silliest of Fed things will be magnified rite? this is nothing other than biased fan worship.
When did I say that...??
I said Ferrer deserved it more than Nadal in 2010... hardly blind worship.
Don't let the facts get in the way though OK

invisiblecoolers wrote:
It was clearly proven Nadal didn't do a proper handshake
Lol IC, clutching at straws?
You said Nadal didn't shake hands with Berdych, I said you were not saying the truth and posted a link showing the handshake.
Now you're claiming it was not a 'proper' handshake whatever that is, and are saying my comments were rude.
If anything was rude it was you when you called me a 'blind worshipper' (despite saying Ferrer deserved 2010 SE award), called Socal 'not educated' and 'idiot'; and calling Haddie Nuff a 'silly fangirl'.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:09 pm

people need to lighten up on here, so easily offended and everything is 'rude'.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:11 pm

OK fair enough LS OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:16 pm

thats the spirit bud, now lets have a Ale or if you dont drink a cuppa perhaps with a side of cake with the Dog and Cat and listen to some drumroll whilst I go vomit after too much ATP Awards - Page 2 1347041234, bah bah boy i wish i had the luck of the Leprechaun

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 11 Nov 2012, 9:00 pm

@ IMBL I never called Socal an i----, its you quoting his name and the I word together every where, sorry to say I cannot accept your myths.

LS I can have a coffee with you but not burger, unfortunately I have given up on junks to cut weight Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2