The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers.

5 posters

Go down

MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers. Empty MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers.

Post by Dave. Wed 20 Apr 2011 - 22:44

Just heard this.

Thoughts? Mine are that hopefully this is the end of McCourt and eventually get a decent owner in.

Link: http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/breaking-mlb-to-take-over-the-dodgers-financial-operations/

Dave.

Back to top Go down

MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers. Empty Re: MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers.

Post by rich1uk Thu 21 Apr 2011 - 1:47

yeah just heard this while watching tonughts yankees game

will probably mean you can write off this season but hopefully you will get someone in who can make a difference for the future , really sucks when something like a divorce can put a franchise into this situation

even tho the teams recent record aint great its still one of the biggest names in baseball so should attract alot of interest you would think.

given the uncertainty regarding the nfl and nba for next season because of the expected labor disputes, baseball should benefit and may be a more attractive proposition for the money men.

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers. Empty Re: MLB takes over day to day running and financial operations of the Dodgers.

Post by Dave. Thu 21 Apr 2011 - 13:53

Bloomberg is saying there are a few billionaires who would be willing to buy and that Selig would force a sale. McCourt has decided to sue however, but now the IRS investiagting him and Jamie McCourt.....I can't see him winning that, he's on a hiding to nothing!

At least we are performing well on the field now, just need that bullpen fixed.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Sat 23 Apr 2011 - 16:12

Back in 01, McCourt wanted to buy the Red Sox, he's from South Boston, but was beaten to it by the current owners of John Henry and his crew. THANK GOD FOR THAT!! Very Happy
I saw that the Boston rumor mill swung in to a action yesterday, saying that Larry Lucchino and Tom Werner, co-owners of the Red Sox and both from So.Cal, might be interested in buying the Dodgers. As I said a rumor, so take with a pinch of salt.

I do think there are plenty of 'billionaires' out there who would buy a team who have a very good fan base, the history that goes with it and who happen to be based in the second biggest TV/radio market in the US, no matter what bloomberg says.

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 23 Apr 2011 - 18:02

HHealer- when I say a few, I really mean plenty!

My accent/dialect for you! laughing

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by HHealer Sun 24 Apr 2011 - 2:24

Ha Ha,
Even though we speak the same language, something sill got lost in the translation! Smile
Wonder if Bud Selig would accept someone like a literal and figurative Maverick like Mark Cuban in to MLB?

HHealer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 24 Apr 2011 - 18:38

Probably becuase we call everything wee, a wee bun, a wee minute etc etc laughing

His name has been mentioned, I don't know if the league would let him though.

This was featured on MLB on 5 Live a wee while ago (about 15 minutes), I got a question in!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBigPhilbowski Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 19:11

I work for the firm that Frank McCourt hired. I hope he wins though as sad as the situation the Dodgers are facing is, I just hate Bud Selig that much.

TheBigPhilbowski

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 19:50

He's now planning to expand the postseason, is 'ole Bud. Rolling Eyes

Selig is as much to blame as McCourt for all this mess, he got McCourt to buy it in a attempt to control payroll. McCourt didn't have the money, leveraged to the hilt..........

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBigPhilbowski Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 20:25

The postseason needs to stay as is. Eight teams is too many. If they keep expanding playoffs, baseball is going to look like hockey or basketball where more than half the teams make the postseason.

TheBigPhilbowski

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 20:39

Yeah, the NBA and NHL is a joke, the fact teams with a LOSING record make the playoffs is awful

Apprently they want to increase the postseason to 10, with a one game playoff or three game series to decide a wildcard.

Keep it as it is.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBigPhilbowski Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 20:45

If I had it my way MLB would dissolve the divisions, do away with interleague play and have a balanced schedule with the first place teams in each league advancing to the World Series.

TheBigPhilbowski

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 20:50

Something just right about that, isn't there!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBigPhilbowski Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 21:02

That's the way it used to be. Granted there are more teams now and they might not be able to balance the schedule perfectly but if they're going to change the postseason it should be done that way. And maybe return the World Series to a five of nine series.

TheBigPhilbowski

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 22:05

problem with that approach is that too many teams would see their season over very early and have nothing left to play for , this would lead to a lack of interest from fans in the second half of the season for alot of sides

whether we like it or not we live in a commercial world and the wild card has ensured interest in the game right down to the end of the season for alot more teams

been reading up a little on the proposed extension of the post season , and the preferred option seems to be having 2 wild card teams and they would play a one game sudden death playoff to get to the division series. this would make winning your division mean more as "settling" for a wild card spot wouldn't guarantee you entry into the "real" playoffs. take last season for example, the yankees and rays both knew with a couple of weeks to go that they were both making the post season. this meant for the last couple of weeks they were resting players, setting up their rotations, and basically just going through the motions. with the new proposal both teams would have had to play hard til the end of the season as winning the division will mean more.

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 22:30

Guys do you mind if I got the admins to split this thread? It's just this postseason discussion deserves a thread of its own I think.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBigPhilbowski Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 22:36

Go for it

TheBigPhilbowski

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Mon 27 Jun 2011 - 22:43

Update on the Dodgers situation

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110627&content_id=21068838&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down