The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England squad for Sweden friendly

+12
mystiroakey
spencerclarke
GSC
azania
monty junior
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Kay Fabe
dummy_half
dancingweeman
Duty281
Crimey
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England squad for Sweden friendly Empty England squad for Sweden friendly

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Nov 2012, 1:06 pm

The surprise additions are Jack Wilshere, Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey and Leon Osman.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Leon Osman (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

I know that Wenger insisted Wilshere not be selected, but Wenger can't pick Wilshere in every game possible he's been fit for and then claim England can't use him because of his fitness.

I think Sterling's call up is probably justified, he might get a ten minute run out or so which will stop Jamaica swooping around and is a pat on the back for his good form.

People have been calling for Osman's inclusion for years, I get why he's been picked as he's been in a good form, but if we're being realistic, and we should be, he's not going to break into international football now. It's similar to the caps given to Kevin Davies I think.

I think the starting XI against Sweden will probably be:

Ruddy

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Bertrand

Walcott
Gerrard
Wilshere
Young

Rooney
Welbeck

I then expect to see probably every player brought on, apart from Forster most likely.

I'm not sure how Sturridge can get into the squad, he's played very little for Chelsea, and when he has played he hasn't set the world on fire.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

England squad for Sweden friendly Empty Re: England squad for Sweden friendly

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 2:16 pm

This international friendly is the most pointless of the lot, we only played Sweden last year in a friendly and why are we even playing a friendly now? It's about 4 months till the next international game. Only benefit (that I can see) is to make sure Sterling plays for England.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Thu 08 Nov 2012, 3:14 pm

Re - Leon Osman. He’s 31. Where is the value in picking an uncapped 31yr old central midfielder? It’s not like he’s going to be playing at an international standard for another 6 or 7yrs. (If he’s good enough) He might manage a year or 2. Hardly planning for the future and bringing through the youth. He’s not going to be picked ahead of Gerrard, Wilshere, Cleverly, Carrick, Lampard (??) for the next world cup. I really dislike Milner, but I would rather see him starting in central midfield, or put Oxlade Chamberlain in there. (probably a load more I can’t remember too).

I've got nothing against Leon Osman at all, and think he is a decent player, but i don't believe we should be picking people who have had a few good seasons without ever being good enough to be selected.

I also don't think Gerrard should play this match, but thats never likely to happen!

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

dancingweeman wrote:Re - Leon Osman. He’s 31. Where is the value in picking an uncapped 31yr old central midfielder? It’s not like he’s going to be playing at an international standard for another 6 or 7yrs. (If he’s good enough) He might manage a year or 2. Hardly planning for the future and bringing through the youth. He’s not going to be picked ahead of Gerrard, Wilshere, Cleverly, Carrick, Lampard (??) for the next world cup. I really dislike Milner, but I would rather see him starting in central midfield, or put Oxlade Chamberlain in there. (probably a load more I can’t remember too).

I've got nothing against Leon Osman at all, and think he is a decent player, but i don't believe we should be picking people who have had a few good seasons without ever being good enough to be selected.

I also don't think Gerrard should play this match, but thats never likely to happen!

The media may now argue, if Hodgson picks Osman, why not pick Holt?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 08 Nov 2012, 4:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:
dancingweeman wrote:Re - Leon Osman. He’s 31. Where is the value in picking an uncapped 31yr old central midfielder? It’s not like he’s going to be playing at an international standard for another 6 or 7yrs. (If he’s good enough) He might manage a year or 2. Hardly planning for the future and bringing through the youth. He’s not going to be picked ahead of Gerrard, Wilshere, Cleverly, Carrick, Lampard (??) for the next world cup. I really dislike Milner, but I would rather see him starting in central midfield, or put Oxlade Chamberlain in there. (probably a load more I can’t remember too).

Well when Holt was on form, he'd be selecting him for an international tournament not a friendly. Holt hasn't hit the same form so far this year, although he'd be a better option than Daniel Sturridge....

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:34 am

Regarding Osman, the real question is why has it taken until he's 31 for him to be picked - OK, he's not a world beater, but he's probably as good a continuity player in midfield as we have available, and for me should have been in the squad ahead of Barry for about 3 or 4 years.

The best teams are not typically made of 11 great players, but need a few guys who understand their role and execute it well.

My big concern now and for the foreseeable future is the weakness of our strikers: Rooney is a decent international class player, but isn't a #9, while I am yet to be convinced Welbeck is anything more than a hard worker who gets picked because he's at Man U, and Sturridge is just a streaky player, who will make one excellent contribution and then 10 mistakes.

I think from the squad picked, it's obvious that Roy is going to play 1 up and 3 in central midfield. At least with no Milner in the squad, he's going to be forced to pick two attacking wide players, although it is a shame that the Ox isn't available.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 09 Nov 2012, 2:26 pm

I hope big Forster gets 45 minutes, there is just no value in giving Hart a game in this type of fixture

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 09 Nov 2012, 2:46 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:I hope big Forster gets 45 minutes, there is just no value in giving Hart a game in this type of fixture

I agree, but can't understand why he'd be included in the squad if Hodgson wasn't going to play him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:16 pm

Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Well when Holt was on form, he'd be selecting him for an international tournament not a friendly. Holt hasn't hit the same form so far this year, although he'd be a better option than Daniel Sturridge....

Was it not worth giving Holt a run out in the pre tournament friendlies?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:11 pm

My team in this pointless game against Sweden would be

GK Ruddy
RB Walker
LB Baines
CB Cahill
CB Caulker
RCM Osman
CM Cleverley
LCM Gerrard
ARM Sterling
ALM Young
ST Rooney

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:38 pm

Olly wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Was it not worth giving Holt a run out in the pre tournament friendlies?

Not if Hodgson had no intention of selecting him for the final tournament, which he clearly didn't.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:52 pm

Apparently Hooper was going to be selected but picked up an injury, last week, don't know who he would have been in for..

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 6:06 pm

baffled, by osman's selection, and wilshere...he has only played 3 games since returning from injury..

pointless game!!

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:15 pm

CF wrote:baffled, by osman's selection, and wilshere...he has only played 3 games since returning from injury..

pointless game!!

I agree about Whilshere 3 games back and tbh in that United game last week he looked very poor and made a lot of needless fouls which actually lead to him seeing red. However i disagree about Osman, he has always been a consistent player for Everton and with them doing very well this season he is finally getting noticed and as you say its a pointless game, so a chance for him to show he does deserve to be an England player.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 7:51 pm

I think I'd play this team:

Forster (Ruddy on at HT)

Walker
Caulker
Shawcross
Bertrand (Baines on at HT)

Sterling (Lennon on at HT)
Osman
Gerrard (Cleverley on at HT)
Young

Rooney
Welbeck (Sturridge on at HT)

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 09 Nov 2012, 8:23 pm

No Defoe? Probably the best finisher England has. Roy is a jerk anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:21 pm

Pointless friendly to open a new stadium, great!

Shocking squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 09 Nov 2012, 9:30 pm

Shelvey?

Really?

Wouldn't be near the squad if he didn't play for Roys favorite team.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 11 Nov 2012, 10:34 pm

I agree Defoe should be I but why is Roy a jerk?

Also can't see why shelvey has been selected.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:17 pm

Defoe is injured anyway.

Shelvey has been included because of improving performances all the time, he's not been quite as good before he got sent off at United but he's certainly talented. Would rather Shelvey was in the side than Cleverley who is massively overrated.

Shelvey, Rooney, Walcott, Walker and Lennon are all "injured" for the England game.

Zaha, Jenkinson and Huddlestone have been brought in. I think Jenkinson's call up is a deserved one after being pretty decent for Arsenal. I think Zaha's call up is too early, I can see him going the way of Connor Wickham where he looks alright in the Championship but struggles to break into a Premier League side when signed.

Huddlestone for me always just seems the weak spot in Spurs XI, Parker and Sandro are much better defensive midfielders and Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson better attacking midfielders, squad player at best and I don't think will ever really make it for the national side.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:21 pm

Huddlestone is awful. I'd rather have Livermore in there than him and thats saying something.

Walker being "injured" may be a good thing. Speak of massively overrated, it certainly applies here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:25 pm

Olly wrote:Walker being "injured" may be a good thing. Speak of massively overrated, it certainly applies here

Totally agree.

What frustrates me a lot is the criticisms that are levelled at Glen Johnson equally, if not more, apply to Kyle Walker, yet he is seen as a better replacement.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:28 pm

I really think Walker is severely overrated. He just doesn't have a footballing brain and he most relies on his athletic ability to bail him out of bad situations but there is only so many times you can get away with it.

I like Johnson, and I also like Jenkinson. Full backs is an area I think we have a promising future at
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm

Wilfred Zaha deserves the call up. He needs to get out of hell club Crystal Palace, he could easily get into most premiership clubs. Hoping he will get some minutes.

Tom Huddlestone is a player i have always rated. Him Gerrard and Cleverley in the middle wouldnt be bad at all.

Carl Jenkinson has done very well for Arsenal this season. But i still think Walker and Johnson should be ahead of him. Richards is our best right back IMO but i cant see him playing for England again.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 13 Nov 2012, 8:49 am

We've had the customary England withdrawal ahead of this firendly. Five players have pulled out: Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott, Jonjo Shelvey, Kyle Walker and Aaron Lennon. Replacing them are Wilfried Zaha, Carl Jenkinson and Tom Huddlestone.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 11:45 am

"Wilfred Zaha deserves the call up. He needs to get out of hell club Crystal Palace, he could easily get into most premiership clubs. Hoping he will get some minutes. "

what a joke- the club that breed him. And the only place he will be going is spain!

Whats the need to call palace a hell club!!

Palace breeds up so many players. We have great fans.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 11:46 am

oh right your from sussex i get it- your a brighton fan!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 11:48 am

You're basing him going to Spain on one, probably badly researched, rumour.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 11:53 am

So what. Do you think palace is a hell hole club- Or do you think they need abit of credit for raising him!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 13 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

Little from column A, little from column B
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Nov 2012, 12:18 pm

Zaha, Jenkinson,Huddlestone Erm

picard

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm

zaha yes

the other two- drop me out!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:12 pm

Apparently Zaha hasn't made his mind up as to whether he'll commit to England or Ivory Coast. Terrible attitude to have.

On the other hand, it's hard to blame him. Difficult to choose between either, they are both QF teams at best.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:13 pm

Wait there...

I thought everyone wanted Roy to give youngsters a chance? Sterling, Jenkinson, Zaha, Cleverley, Bertrand, Forster, Shelvey are all getting chances under Roy, who has also had to deal with several withdrawals as usual.

And to the "Roy's favourite club" about Liverpool, I've never seen something more ridiculous in my life. They are clearly his favourite club with the way he was treated by them!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:23 pm

I'm surprised there are so many call offs, I would have thought the opportunity to play in such a fantastic stadium in the opening game might have proven to be a motivation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:26 pm

SR its drogbas fault. He clearly needs to pick england- its our system that raised him.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:35 pm

I'd say Ivory Coast were a better proposition though, they have a realistic chance of a trophy in the African Nations.

England are fairly hopeless when it comes to tournaments.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:41 pm

SR that doesnt mean anything to me at all

I think the only reason he would pick Ivory coast is to garantee international footy.

The fact is he is breed in this country and our systems have paid for him and made him what he is and the fact that he has represented england at all levels up till this point- There shouldnt be a choice from my pov.

Nationality means nothing to me, and he really shouldnt have a choice!

drogba needs to pipe down

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

Of course he has a choice. He was born in Ivory Coast, but raised in England. He qualifies for both through birth and residency.

Drogba has every right to ask him to play, just as England did when asking John Barnes, Matt le Tissier etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 1:58 pm

i am not saying he doesnt have a choice am I- he clearly does!!

- I am saying he has represented england at all levels and will even in a friednly yet still has a choice- that doesnt seem right ata ll from my pov!

I BELIEVE players should play for the country that raised them! as i said nationality shouldnt have anything to do with a choice of what country to represent(but that is my OPINION- not everyones!)

mat le tissier is from a channel island!! he had no choice to play for that team in the first place- so he is a special case

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:08 pm

Of course Le Tissier did, he could have played for any of the home nations actually, just as Graham Le Saux would have done.

Whether you think he shouldn't have the choice is irrelevant. He has the choice , and he'd have to be a bit of a deadbeat to choose England.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:24 pm

Err no he didnt- he couldnt play for the channel islands as i said-0 offcourse he could have played for any home nation. When did i say he couldnt!!

And yes it is relevant to MY discussion. Yours is completly irrelvant to MY point!

and offcourse he isnt a dead beat to chose england!! your just trying to stir it up now pal Very Happy (I know your game)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:44 pm

anyway- getting back to the game. I really hop Zaha gets a run out- to be honest its the only interesting thing about the game for me!!

another game v sweden hey, jeas.. how many times have we plyed them recently!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 13 Nov 2012, 9:31 pm

mystiroakey wrote:anyway- getting back to the game. I really hop Zaha gets a run out- to be honest its the only interesting thing about the game for me!!

another game v sweden hey, jeas.. how many times have we plyed them recently!

Didn't we play them in a friendly last November as well as the game at Euro 2012? Sick of us beating them to be honest! Very Happy

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 14 Nov 2012, 12:07 am

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews
England team v Sweden: Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Caulker, Baines, Gerrard, Cleverley, Osman, Sterling, Welbeck Young

Hart starts? That stands out as the surprise to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 14 Nov 2012, 12:36 am

It doesn't for me, I don't agree with the decision, but I think Hodgson wouldn't have included him in the squad if he wasn't going to use him. I imagine Forster will miss out on actually playing.

Surprised that no Jagielka, who I'd have thought will be first choice centre back now but he doesn't have huge amounts of international experience.

Osman getting the start also surprises me, I assume he'll play the "Parker" role in that midfield three, fighting to get the ball with Gerrard being a deep-lying playmaker and Cleverley a box-to-box more attacking central midfielder.

The top three look very pacey and tricky, but I'm still not convinced by Welbeck and the fact that he's the best option as a striker shows the real dearth of options for Hodgson up front. The best is Rooney and he hasn't performed for England since 2004.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 14 Nov 2012, 12:46 am

I personally think Forster will play 2nd half, I think Hodgson would like to give him a look tbh. Poor big JR Sad

Must say I like Caulker a lot and think he will be a top CB down the line. Give him a go I say
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 14 Nov 2012, 7:26 pm

Always a laugh when an away team plays the second verse and no one knows it!

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 14 Nov 2012, 8:22 pm

Pretty low-key so far. 3 points of note: Hart is having an off-day and is being rescued by Gary Cahill, whilst Sterling looks a great prospect, and England are keeping the ball well! Shocked

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 14 Nov 2012, 9:22 pm

Ibrahaimovic - what an incredible goal.

Poor clearance from Hart but a spectacular finish.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next