The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England squad for Sweden friendly

+12
mystiroakey
spencerclarke
GSC
azania
monty junior
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Kay Fabe
dummy_half
dancingweeman
Duty281
Crimey
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England squad for Sweden friendly - Page 2 Empty England squad for Sweden friendly

Post by Crimey Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

The surprise additions are Jack Wilshere, Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey and Leon Osman.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Leon Osman (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

I know that Wenger insisted Wilshere not be selected, but Wenger can't pick Wilshere in every game possible he's been fit for and then claim England can't use him because of his fitness.

I think Sterling's call up is probably justified, he might get a ten minute run out or so which will stop Jamaica swooping around and is a pat on the back for his good form.

People have been calling for Osman's inclusion for years, I get why he's been picked as he's been in a good form, but if we're being realistic, and we should be, he's not going to break into international football now. It's similar to the caps given to Kevin Davies I think.

I think the starting XI against Sweden will probably be:

Ruddy

Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Bertrand

Walcott
Gerrard
Wilshere
Young

Rooney
Welbeck

I then expect to see probably every player brought on, apart from Forster most likely.

I'm not sure how Sturridge can get into the squad, he's played very little for Chelsea, and when he has played he hasn't set the world on fire.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

England squad for Sweden friendly - Page 2 Empty Re: England squad for Sweden friendly

Post by mystiroakey Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Ibram wow!!

speachless!

what a player- great game as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

England squad for Sweden friendly - Page 2 Empty Re: England squad for Sweden friendly

Post by Duty281 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 pm

OK, three equally wonderful goals by Ibrahimovic has given Hodgson his first loss. Mind you, you could say Hart was at fault for two of them. Still, the first loss had to happen some time, yes?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

3----you mean 4!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:32 pm

To be fair there were some encouraging signs there for England. These friendlies are pretty pointless but you do get to blood some new players and I thought we looked better than we have done. It took a world class performance from a world class player to beat our side.

Must say I thought Osman did well. Amazing that picking a player who is in form, and then he plays well. Maybe we should do that more often no matter what team the player plays for the in the Prem Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm

osman showed he has got a great touch!!

good signs from him i agree

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Grant Holt V2 wrote:

Must say I thought Osman did well. Amazing that picking a player who is in form, and then he plays well. Maybe we should do that more often no matter what team the player plays for the in the Prem Whistle

Let go Olly, it ain't happening. Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Grant Holt V2 wrote:

Let go Olly, it ain't happening. Hug

I'm not saying that, I'm saying players like Noble and Nolan were overlooked for the squad, and they are in top form. Lambert also, Holty burnt that bridge lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Nolan should have won His first cap 5 years ago. Baffles me why he's never been given a fair crack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 pm

FreekShow wrote:Nolan should have won His first cap 5 years ago. Baffles me why he's never been given a fair crack.

Maybe because he doesn't play for a fashionable club? I wonder if Shelvey and Cleverley would get in if they played for West Ham...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm

West Ham won the world cup you know Olly. Wash your mouth out, calling them unfashionable. You'd be horsewhipped in the East End if they ever heard you say that. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm

FreekShow wrote:West Ham won the world cup you know Olly. Wash your mouth out, calling them unfashionable. You'd be horsewhipped in the East End if they ever heard you say that. Wink

I'm only going with the consensus. You have no idea how annoying it is to watch players be called up to international squads who play for the big clubs (well I say play, they warm the bench i'm looking at you Sturridge and Cleverley) get the call ups over in form players who play for teams that maybe aren't as "big" or "fashionable". Pisses me off
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Grant Holt V2 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:West Ham won the world cup you know Olly. Wash your mouth out, calling them unfashionable. You'd be horsewhipped in the East End if they ever heard you say that. Wink

I'm only going with the consensus. You have no idea how annoying it is to watch players be called up to international squads who play for the big clubs (well I say play, they warm the bench i'm looking at you Sturridge and Cleverley) get the call ups over in form players who play for teams that maybe aren't as "big" or "fashionable". Pisses me off

Young players breaking into European teams are always going to get picked, why should 30+s who've hit a bit of form for once get the nod?

You've only to look at this squad to see smaller clubs get represented, Zaha, Forster, Ruddy, Baines (if Osman is considered to play for an unfashionable club), Jagielka, Shawcross. Butland has also been capped recently.

This is all a myth, lets face it you are more likely to be a better player if you are playing in a team that is challenging for trophies and europe.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Nolan has always feasted on a big man knocking the ball down, whether that be Kevin Davies, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll or Carlton Cole, while England have been accused of hoofball over the years I can't think of a time when they have actively tried to play a system which would ever get the best out of Nolan.

Nolan's best years also came in the prime years of Gerrard and Lampard, he was obviously going to struggle to get into the side as he plays in a similar position to both of these guys. I don't think it has to do with the club he plays at, and this is from somebody who's always been a bit of a fan of Nolan.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 am

Is it only me who doesn't rate Joe Hart as a top keeper?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 am

nasisillmatic wrote:Is it only me who doesn't rate Joe Hart as a top keeper?

This season he has been pretty awful.

I think for Manchester City last season he was world class, and in the Champions League this year he has also been very good. However I've always thought he doesn't look quite as confident when playing for England, and this year in the Premier League for Manchester City he hasn't looked like a top class goalkeeper at all.

I think he has the potential to be the best keeper in the world, in goalkeeper years he is actually very young so has a long way to go to reach his prime, so if he can wean out the poor performances then he'll get there.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 pm

All young GK's have to make mistakes and learn from them. The errors he is making now will only serve to make him a better GK in the future

I did find it strange that neither Ruddy or Forster got a half
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Hart's 25. While it can take keepers longer to mature, the best keepers in the world have been at the top of their game at 25.

I just don't think he will live up to the expectations placed upon him for the last 2 years.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't think 25 is anywhere near the peak level for goalkeepers, it's closed to 30 to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Keepers are generally in their prime from 29 onwards. Look at Friedel, doing a sterling job for Spurs and he's 40.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Freidel was a late bloomer. He wasn't playing every game until he was around 28.

Joe Hart is now in his 5th year in the Premier League as a number 1 keeper, he should being showing more than I've seen so far if he is to be classed as a top keeper. In 4 years time I'd expect De Gea to be a world class keeper, as he will have the experience of been playing in the top leagues for many years. He would still only be 25.

Just look at Reina, when we signed him he was 24. Yet showed maturity well beyond his years, and was classed as a top keeper.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Hart is and has been getting the exact plaudits and praise that Paul Robinson was getting when he captured the England No:1 shirt a few years back. Where is he now? The point being we are too quick to praise in this country.

I'd say Hart's best work was during his loan spell at Birmingham. Luckily for him England are pretty bare in terms of back up in the goalkeeping department.

True world class goalkeepers are few and far between. There is Casillas, Buffon and the rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2