The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clev v Bhop next year in UK

+9
The genius of PBF
bhb001
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
AlexHuckerby
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
Seanusarrilius
13 posters

Go down

Clev v Bhop next year in UK Empty Clev v Bhop next year in UK

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Oscar was talking about this one on Boxingscene today, or they reported it today, at least.

Is this a good fight? Or is Clev feeding off of a faded legend when he should be looking to fight a unification?

For me, if it happens, it is both.

Thing is, with even a shot Bhop he might end up biting off more than he can handle.

Look at Calzaghe, who was far better than Clev. He struggled and struggled with Bhops tricks. How is Clev going to react to fakeblows, crafty in fighting, rabbit punches, hitting on the break, feined injuries to buy time, head rubs, headbutts and the 70% of Bhop that is left?

Clev shouldn't do it, it will be ugly, no one will credit him for beating an ancient and faded Bhop and to be honest, will it sell that well in UK?

On a side note, Clev should leave his dad and get a decent trainer. He slaps, so did Calzaghe, and it is probably due to them not having decent trainers. Calzaghe was open palmed at times, ffs.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Clev v Bhop next year in UK Empty Re: Clev v Bhop next year in UK

Post by Rodney Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks Sean

Hopkins is about done, however it's still a fantastic matchup for Nathan and possibly the most attractive one in the light heavy division for him today.

As for the result I'm not sure and this is down to the fact I don't know how good Clev actually is, and I'm not sure we'll know anymore after sat evening. I agree with you Sean, Hopkins will certainly mess Clev about possible for sustained periods how sustained depends how good Clev actually is, I'm sitting on the fence at the minute, the bookies odds would be interesting for this one.

Cheers. Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Cheers Rodders

Clev points is a very good shout because he has such a good engine, just like Calzaghe, but Clev would not be able to stop him IMO, has no power. FOr me it is down to BHops tank. Can't have more than 70% left now, can he? But he has legit power at LH, so could catch Nathan with some decent shots. I am convinced that the Bhop who beat Pavlik would absolutley destroy Nathan, but this Bhop, who knows. Odds would be tasty.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Typical Warren...........Hoppo is moving towards 50...........well past it..can only fight 30 seconds a round and like....................

Burns - Katsidis
Khan - Barrera..

When he beats the legend-in-his-prime he'll be the best fighter since Ray Robinson!!!

get lost Frank.................there is a good boy..

Note to the bbbc.don't give Hoppo a licence over here....make him fight in America or Luxembourg..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Was Katsidis ever a legend Truss, Burns beats him anytime but agree with Khan Barrera.

Agree with you in a certain extent, however looking at the light heavy division who would you get excited about Nathan fighting, Hopkins would be still a massive draw in the UK

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:07 pm

B-Hop is nowhere near shot judging on his last few outings, and would be by far the best fighter Cleverly has faced and I mean by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Would ask Cleverly more than a few questions also, despite not being able to fight the full 3 miutes in a round.

Would be a stinker mind you, but you can't complain with him fighting B-Hop at this stage, if he wins he shoudl of course get less credit than he would years previously, however he most certainly should get a fair amout of credit seeing as how nearly all fighters in the LHW division would get beaten by B-Hop.

Still, probably won't happen...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

They'll offer BHop the fight in Dec next year hoping he' even more faded.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 pm

BHop is shot really. It's just that he was operating at such a high standard that him being shot now, he is still pretty competative. Az is prob right, too

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:BHop is shot really. It's just that he was operating at such a high standard that him being shot now, he is still pretty competative. Az is prob right, too

Shocked Shocked
Hug Hug

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 pm

azania wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:BHop is shot really. It's just that he was operating at such a high standard that him being shot now, he is still pretty competative. Az is prob right, too

Shocked Shocked
Hug Hug

No more boxing only Hug from now on. Or at least until tomorrow Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Hmmm! I'll do my best. censored

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Obviously comes down o how much Hopkins has left, and while clev is limited he has a great engine and like calzaghe did he could just outwork the older man

Hopkins is great for his age and has been competing at the highest level but his recent fights where against fighters that were very good but weren't going to hurt test his stamina. Dawson fights at a very slow pace with a low workrate which Hopkins should have relished but he just didn't look sharp and won rounds on workrate alone. Pascal is an ambush fighter and fights in bursts and stylistically he was easy for Hopkins, but the 2nd fight was 18 months ago

If Hopkins is at 70% or more he should be able to deal with clev easily enough as bellew managed to outbox him for large parts of there fight, but if he is as slower than he was vs Dawson Clev's activity could be the deciding factor and I doubt Bhop will get the decision in England

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Like Alma, I'd be amazed if Hopkins came to the UK to fight. But even if by some chance he does, I'd like to see him fight again first before deciding what Cleverly's chances are. Hopkins was beaten last time out, but there are plenty of people who believe that, prime for prime, Dawson would just be the right style and the right man to beat Hopkins anyway. And if you're one of them, then it could be argued that Hopkins hasn't slipped all that much, if at all, from the standards which saw him win 16 out of 24 rounds against Pascal - and that version of Hopkins would likely have pitched a shutout against Cleverly.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:57 pm

He may stomp on the union flag!!!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Hmmmm Cleverley fights tomorrow doesn't he? Maybe, just maybe, this is some publicity for it and possibly might not come to anything. Just a thought.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:25 pm

I still think Hopkins would beat Cleverly...Dawson style was just all wrong for Bhop at that stage of his career.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 am

Oh dear the hype machine just keeps rolling with this kid...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/4634562/Nathan-Cleverly-sends-fight-fans-wild-with-a-no-holds-sparring-session.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

No footage...or funnily enough comments from anyone who would have seen it. Given how wild he sent them you would think that someone would have spoken about it.

It's a real shame because I really liked him when he first started out. He was grounded and worked hard both inside and out the ring. Seemed like a fantastic replacement following Calzaghe's retirement.

Funnily enough since he finished his studies and concentrated on the game he seems to have done nothing but go backwards and become a bit of a laughing stock!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 am

alma wrote:Can't see Hopkins coming over here. Just can't imagine he would want to. Very much a stay at home fighter.

He went to Canada twice and made a fool out of Pascal in recent fights.

But this is the most regurgitated subject when Cleverly gets a soundbite. Why doesn't he start calling out Cloud who he would have a good shot a beating.

Hopkins doesn't even hold a belt!!! The old title he holds us "Mr" Bernard Hopkins.

If Warren wants to create a buzz about Nathan he is going to have to target the casual sports fans who aren't aware that he is avoiding mandatories and decent opposition.

Now, most casual spoorts fans who don't follow boxing probably won't know Hopkins.......so Warren in turn, is going to promote a fight to potential new boxing fans of a fight between a young unbeaten "world Champion" and a guy from American who is almost 50.

(}Sigh)......
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:33 pm

to be fair to cleverly this time the noise is coming from hopkins side, so much more crediblity to the fight than warren proclaiming it. people have been saying bhop is shot since before the calzaghe fight, but he has gone on to fight and win at world level ever since, so i dont think that point holds up.

what i want to know is what tross are we expected to sit through for another year, warren will be even more careful now.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Will never happen, Clev is fighting on a Goldenboy card, Oscar trying to add a little interest to a guy the americans don't know, who is fighting nobodies, in completely undramatic affairs, but who happens to hold a belt.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down