The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS

5 posters

Go down

THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS Empty THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS

Post by Lyn2012 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

I am fed up the articles pon Rob Howley and his team selection. In these articles valid points are made over and over and over again. But look, it's pointless. Really. Neil Jenkins only this morning, was talking about the importance of Jamie Roberts. Yes, he cited the Lions tests from four years ago, when I was one weeks hair growth from a partial mullet and still loved my girlfriend. Roberts is a lump, a slow lump, that once tackled properly is ineffective. The point is that the attitude of reverance and excusing our players pervades Welsh rugby. WE MUST PICK ON FORM. PLAYERS WHO ARE PLAYING WELL ARE CONFIDENT, AND THEY MUST BE REWARDED TO MAINTAIN SUCCESS AND HUNGER. Wales don't do this and never will do it. It's a cultural, tragic flaw. They aren't our boyos who need to be softly spoken too. They are well paid professionals who need to match the standards being set by the best. Our game, our regions are in dire straits. The lack of young talent genuinely ready is worrying, the lack of quality players performing and the standard of coaching are all poor. THE ONLY THING THE WELSH COACHES CAN DO IS TO PICK THE FORM PLAYERS AND TO TRY IT. Now I know I have just written the same article that I am fed up of, but this was actually deliberately and artistically ironic. I am showing that as a Welshman I am doomed to repeat the mistakes of Howley etc by time and time again churning out the same old stuff.

Stick this 15 against Australia and see what happens:

15. Gavin Henson
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. Jonathan Davies / Scott Williams
12. Ashley Beck
11. Eli Walker
10. Dan Biggar
9. Gareth Davies
8. Toby Faletau
7. Justin Tipuric
6. Aaron Shingler
5. Ian Evans
4. AW Jones
3. Jarvis
2. Hibbard
1. Paul James

Lyn2012

Back to top Go down

THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS Empty Re: THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 11 Nov 2012, 5:49 pm

How long is Gatland not coach of Wales? Falling off a step ladder can't be that much of a hindrance to coaching. It's not like he needs to go out on the field and tackle. Does anyone know when he's coming back. A cynic might think he's counting his dough whilst doing homework for the Lions job.

As for the OP, I agree with the intent. Even if the players you mention don't have good games, heads need to roll to attack this mentality of the jersey is mine and I don't have to fight for it. No one should be above criticism and not even the captain. You need to earn your place week in week out and if Wales have players who can step in, then they need to be given a chance to show that putting in a weak performance is unacceptable and there is accountability in each performance.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS Empty Re: THE LAST POST ON WALES FOR AT LEAST A COUPLE OF DAYS

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 11 Nov 2012, 5:56 pm

"Falling off a step ladder can't be that much of a hindrance to coaching" -- He's Lions coach and is contyracted to the Lions for most of the next year, with the exeception of the Aus and NZ games this month (when he will be head coach again). Howley is being blamed for selection -- but Gatland is choosing the side.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 5:59 pm

Osprey,

Is he though do we know that for def?

One other point if Gatland is picking the side its Howley who is there at the time when things are going wrong and its him who should have the balls to change them when they are.

Priestland, Roberts and Warburton were clearly off form and poor from the start but we all know that if Warburton and Roberts hadn't got injured then they would have been on til the end.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:03 pm

But why is he not coaching now or there at the games? The Lions tour is next year and presumably he's collecting money from his Wales contract. I just find the situation odd.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:09 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:But why is he not coaching now or there at the games? The Lions tour is next year and presumably he's collecting money from his Wales contract. I just find the situation odd.

It was part of the deal struck with the WRU he would be allowed back for the two big games but would be on Lions duty for the other two and the 6 Nations.

Didn't see him at any of the games but I guess he is going around the games on Lions duty looking at other players.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:12 pm

Ok cheers. Seems like a very cushy deal to me.

Howley must come under fire for a lot of this which also works in Gatland's favour. If he turns things round against Australia and NZ he will be seen as a miracle worker. I'd hate to be in the Welsh training sessions the first few after SourBear gets back. He's going to tear strips. Which is what's needed of course but it won't be pretty.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:14 pm

I very much doubt Shaun Edwards will go easy on them either but big names need a kick up the jacksi and some even need dropping but I doubt it will happen.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:17 pm

I tell a lie, Gatland was at Murrayfield today, Blair and Visser will have impressed him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:19 pm

I know a loty of vitriol(quite rightly) has been leveled at Howler-how can a supposed "coach" not have second row cover on the bench?-how can a supposed "coach" continue to pick on rep and not form?-ok the ones picked to perform didnt -if(and god forbid) Howler continues to stick with those he considers fit for purpose are in the side this coming weekend then I will give my tickets away.
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:44 pm

bedfordwelsh, Re: who's choosing the side -- there' have been reports about selection, including those where Howley makes clear Gatland's requirements, because he'll be covering the Aus and NZ games. Take MP. for instance. I'm sure it's been reported that Howley has explained that MP didn't start because, as a France-based player (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/11/06/rob-howley-reveals-playing-in-france-cost-mike-phillips-wales-place-video-91466-32177989/), he wasn't available all the time for match prep (he wasn't available for the Polish freezers, for example). If we are supposed to see this as some kind of principle that is one of the main criteria fior selection, we should overlook the fact that Gethin J also plays in France and also didn't go to Poland, as far as I'm aware ... I supposed "partnersips" explainedd Gethin's selection, even though Sheridan has started for Toulon!

“It’s a balancing act, we look at each position and take guidance on who’s available, who’s on form and partnerships as well.”

Source: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/11/06/rob-howley-reveals-playing-in-france-cost-mike-phillips-wales-place-video-91466-32177989/#ixzz2BwPXIoq5

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:15 pm

Osprey,

Clear as mud Shocked
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:33 pm

bedfordwelsh, Indeed. Given that some of our stalwarts are injured -- Adam, Lydiate, and now AWJ -- and others who have been chosen on reputation rather than form (JR), perhaps it's time to fill some of the holes with those who have been playing well. JR was out cold, and I'm not sure if the old concussion rule still applies -- out for 3 weeks after concussion -- which might explain why JR's concussion is being played down as not being such! Wales have no chance of making the top four this year, so perhaps we should give some fringe players a chance to show what they can do over a run of games. Beck should be given a run against Samoa, for example.

The powers that be at regional level and the WRU need to make a lot of changes to improve the game in Wales or Welsh pro rugby will die.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:47 pm

I didn't think Roberts or AWJ were playing that well anyway before injury and I am not sure about Beck against Samoa, they would run straight through him.

I know we usually tinker for the Friday night game but I honestly believe that we have to now put the team out that he has in mind to play NZ and give them a game together.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

"hey would run straight through him." -- If that turns out to be true, he'll be dropped.

I didn't see the France v Aus match yesterday, but the scoreline and match reports suggest it was a hammering. And by all accounts it was not France's best (so-called first) team. Players have to be given a run of games to see if they are ready to perform at the top level.

I think Ryan J will be back next week. He has been much missed. AWJ's form and work rate since the start of this season has been okay (though he has given away some dull pens).

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down