The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fawning over the All Blacks

+12
damngoodOvalball
goneagain
Scrumdown
disneychilly
GunsGerms
Hood83
gregortree
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
thebluesmancometh
Morgannwg
anotherworldofpain
16 posters

Go down

Fawning over the All Blacks Empty Fawning over the All Blacks

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 11 Nov 2012, 7:58 pm

Did anyone else get just a little tired of hereing JD fawning over the All Blacks today during the commentary?

"Oh, look out. Now just watch this, watch what they'll do! Danger! Numbers out wide! Look how much pressure they'll apply at this scrum! Oh I'm running out of superlatives! again that's what they'll do! Just take the points and before you know it you're 3,6,9,12,15,25,50 points behind and you start chasing the game. Look what they'll do now. Look out! Here they go. Yes, it looks simple when they do it, but really it's impossible. The skill levels are just four times higher from NZ. They're only playing at half pace and they're still six times too good. Look what I mean when you see what they'll do next. "

vomit

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Fawning over the All Blacks Empty Re: Fawning over the All Blacks

Post by Morgannwg Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:02 pm

I can't say that I did get tired of hearing JD fawn over the ABs because it was exactly what I was thinking. They've been playing like that throughout the RC too and I fawned over them a lot then.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:02 pm

Ye mate you are right, JD is a plonker who knows little!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sun 11 Nov 2012, 8:05 pm

The thing that annoys me most is that he feels he has to "teach" the listeners by commenting on what is about to happen. It's like he has some superior knowledge that NZ are a good team and might do something clever in just a minute.

I find it patronising. But I do love it when he's competely wrong.

"Now look what they'll do now, Carter will just clear it off 50 meters down field and they'll probably put pressure on the line. Oh no, they've called for a scrum. Well, I wouldn't've done that. "

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 12 Nov 2012, 1:31 pm

I quickly get tired of hearing Jiffy's pre-testicle descension squeal in general.

Like listening to a cluster of young ferrets frantically rut in their underground sets.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 1:38 pm

George Carlin wrote:I quickly get tired of hearing Jiffy's pre-testicle descension squeal in general.

Like listening to a cluster of young ferrets frantically rut in their underground sets.

laughing thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 12 Nov 2012, 1:43 pm

Laugh George Laugh
and I agree.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 2:24 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Did anyone else get just a little tired of hereing JD fawning over the All Blacks today during the commentary?

"Oh, look out. Now just watch this, watch what they'll do! Danger! Numbers out wide! Look how much pressure they'll apply at this scrum! Oh I'm running out of superlatives! again that's what they'll do! Just take the points and before you know it you're 3,6,9,12,15,25,50 points behind and you start chasing the game. Look what they'll do now. Look out! Here they go. Yes, it looks simple when they do it, but really it's impossible. The skill levels are just four times higher from NZ. They're only playing at half pace and they're still six times too good. Look what I mean when you see what they'll do next. "

vomit

You really are a glass half full type aren't you AWOP. Whinge when you lose, whinge when paid a compliment. You've lived here too long!

Sad thing is i agreed with most of his fawning. I had to have two cold showers and lie down in a dark room after the game.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 pm

Hood83
"I had to have two cold showers and lie down in a dark room after the game. ." Smile

I just hope & pray that is not England's fate on 1st December.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 12 Nov 2012, 2:52 pm

gregortree wrote:Hood83
"I had to have two cold showers and lie down in a dark room after the game. ." Smile

I just hope & pray that is not England's fate on 1st December.

I normally pay lip service to the whole 'they're not superhuman' argument. A small part of me still thinks that as individual players, they're not so far ahead of a team like SA. But it turns out this small part of me is completely wrong.

They are going to batter us. It will be horrible. There is no other possibility.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

The ABs seemed completey mortal for first 20 minutes yesterday, before transitioning before our eyes into the rugby god like characters of legend.
I do not feel good for our chances on 1st December, but Ozz & RSA are more do-able IMHO.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:07 pm

AWOP you love it. Nothing pleases you more than someone fawing over the ABs. Not sure why you would bother to write an article pretending otherwise. Fishing for AB compliments?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:09 pm

AWOP loves a bit of AB rrskissing

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:14 pm

Best and most under rated comentator in the north is Philip Matthews. Class act.

Hugh Bladen is my favorite from the south.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:18 pm

Has anyone seen Cory Jane in an interview or video clip? Is he a simple as he comes accross. Anyone know?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 12 Nov 2012, 3:48 pm

Yes Guns he is, he's from Upper Hutt. Was quite the dirty scrubber in his single days I heard, my best mate played 7s with him on quite a few occasions.

They didn't play that well on Saturday really-Scotland had them under sustained pressure and they made mistakes from relieving kicks to keep themselves under the cosh. They did well when they had chances though which is what took them out of reach, but some silly ball security and Thomson's idiocy kept them from a performance they could be really proud of. If they can keep their performance in the second quarter for a full 80 then teams can start worrying. Having said that there were a few unfamiliar faces and they'll need time to bed in.

Nice to see Carter run at the line though. His fend is as good as Cory Janes and when he does run defences freeze-buying time and space for the others should he decide to pass.

Our set piece can be attacked though. Put pressure on scrums and lineouts and slow the game down. In that respect Weepu played bloody well so hats off to him.

Next week will be more of the same. Italy's captain and only world class player happens to be opposed by someone better sadly for the Azzurri, so unless inclement weather and Italy dragging NZ into an arm wrestle happen it'll be a 60 pointer.

A main difference is what the ball runners are doing. The first receiver, usually a forward, isn't actually punching it up but passing it to another big man to hit it up wider, which creates more momentum and better ruck ball as it is away from the fatties. NZ's backs are good over the breakdown too so the point of attack is not only changed quickly, but it is moved to further away than what sides are used to. It takes a lot of skill to do this as the forwards are catching and passing with people in their faces and this is the reason for NZ's handling errors most of the time. But when they get it right it can be unplayable due to the emphasis on being explosive at training-causing them to break the gain line almost every time.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 12 Nov 2012, 4:18 pm

Did Thompson get cited?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:31 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:Did anyone else get just a little tired of hereing JD fawning over the All Blacks today during the commentary?

vomit

It is ironic that when Steve Hansen was coach of Wales he had absolutely no time for JD whatsoever.In fact he once mockingly invited JD in an interview on scrumv to join the welsh coaching team at a training session so that he could impart his knwledge on the players he was so quick to criticise. Ofcourse JD declined.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Mon 12 Nov 2012, 8:34 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Did Thompson get cited?

Yes, up before the beak on wednesday.

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Mon 12 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

JD's fawning over the AB's is reminiscent of the Grey Ghost's, albeit marginally less vomit inducing

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 12 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

Movie:

'Black Gold'

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by One-eye Tue 13 Nov 2012, 8:16 am

laughing
I just found myself laughing the whole way through.
His commentary was hilarious

One-eye

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 13 Nov 2012, 8:41 am

It isn't exactly a revelation that the AB's play good rugby, cue the Carter rimming as they manage to beat Scotland.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:04 pm

damngoodOvalball wrote:JD's fawning over the AB's is reminiscent of the Grey Ghost's, albeit marginally less vomit inducing

Are you suggest that JD is the GreyGhost? Shocked

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:06 pm

EnglishReign wrote:It isn't exactly a revelation that the AB's play good rugby, cue the Carter rimming as they manage to beat Scotland.

Personally I though Carter had a hot and cold game. He did some great stuff, but he also messed up a uncharacteristic number of times. I wouldn't have made him MoM. I thought Ben Smith looked pretty handy in the midfield personally.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:19 pm

I enjoyed his intercept pass. Smile

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 13 Nov 2012, 2:30 pm

Weepu was up there for MOTM too. Surprisingly. Played bloody well, got to the rucks quickly, snappy distribution and as usual good option taking.

I'm sure there are a few females ahead of JD in the queue to give Carter a rimming.

Smith was very handy but nowhere near as destructive as Carter. He made one mistake and it was capitalised on. No more than NZ do to other teams. His response was exemplary.

Wondering if Nonu and Conrad start in Rome this weekend.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue 13 Nov 2012, 4:09 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:
damngoodOvalball wrote:JD's fawning over the AB's is reminiscent of the Grey Ghost's, albeit marginally less vomit inducing

Are you suggest that JD is the GreyGhost? Shocked

No, that would amount to slander AWOP

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 13 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

I was watching on iplayer last night and my wife commented that she thought "the Welsh guy has got a right hard on for the All Blacks hasn't he" laughed so much then remembered this thread. Are you my wife AWOP? Shocked
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

Effervescing Elephant wrote:I was watching on iplayer last night and my wife commented that she thought "the Welsh guy has got a right hard on for the All Blacks hasn't he" laughed so much then remembered this thread. Are you my wife AWOP? Shocked

I think JD's fawning is a familiar tactic: build the All Blacks up as demi-gods, that way if Wales lose it's no big deal, and if they win, they are immortals...

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:
Effervescing Elephant wrote:I was watching on iplayer last night and my wife commented that she thought "the Welsh guy has got a right hard on for the All Blacks hasn't he" laughed so much then remembered this thread. Are you my wife AWOP? Shocked

I think JD's fawning is a familiar tactic: build the All Blacks up as demi-gods, that way if Wales lose it's no big deal, and if they win, they are immortals...
Leave it out AWoP! What's this 'if they win' business? Very Happy

As an aside, Justin Marshall screamed out 'NUMBERS!!' during his commentary in the weekend, it's catching.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm

He's spent too much time in Wales, clearly. Did he start talking about Carter showing the genius of James Hook?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm

I wasn't bothered by it,
like any sport ,art or music it amazing to watch a master the best of the best at work.

I get jealous when the All Blacks play the off loading game,score tries for fun, i wish Wales could play like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm

Nup, but he did enter into some DC fawning, nowhere near as much and detailed as JD by the sounds. Just little snippets of fawning, appropriate fawning.

Back to top Go down

Post by One-eye Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:09 am

At time JD reminded me of that memorable Keith Quinn moment. Lomu... Oh... oh!

One-eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:13 am

I have to say I think Jonathan Davies is fantastic even though a lot of people hate him as a commentator. I love all his trademark slogans...

The best ones being...

"Numbers, numbers, numbers" and "Theres no fullback at home"

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 14 Nov 2012, 9:21 am

Don't get me wrong, it's all part of the rich tapestry of the game we all love so much. It's great to have passionate commentators who allow themselves to get carried away. Makes you feel you're watching with a one-eyed mate rather than being lectured by a PE Teacher.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down