The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia.

+18
George Carlin
HQ matt
DaveM
HammerofThunor
beshocked
LondonTiger
belovedfrosties
HongKongCherry
niwatts
majesticimperialman
Geordie
bathmad
lostinwales
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Effervescing Elephant
SneakySideStep
nathan
gregortree
22 posters

Go down

SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia. Empty SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia.

Post by gregortree Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 pm

I admit to a Glos prejudice, so I am interested in what you think.
Feel free to discuss.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia. Empty Re: SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia.

Post by nathan Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 am

Sharples and Ashton for me, but to be honest i'm basing this on one game. Ashton could come back and be poo or Monye could have a really good game.

nathan

Back to top Go down

SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia. Empty Re: SHARPLES, ASHTON, MONYE, Perm 2 from 3 for Australia.

Post by SneakySideStep Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 am

Sharples and Ashton for me too. Monye just doesn't look the part for anything other than a run in at this level. It's true the Fijian tackling was weak on Sharples 1st try, but it still took some determination to get there - I doubt Monye would have scored in the same situation. Ashton can be a mixed bag, but when he's engaged with the game, he offers something different.

SneakySideStep

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 am

Can someone explain what the lump on Sharples' head is? My wife asked me what it was and i had to think on my feet and said that "his remote control unit had come loose". She took my beer away, so to prevent further beer stealings can someone furnish me with the truth please?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:21 am

Laugh as a Glos fan I was puzzled, lump not normally there. Maybe result of a Fiji kiss ? kiss

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 am

Its Tim Mcvisser desperatly trying to escape

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks chaps, it would appear that he was indeed delicately caressed by a Fijian very early on.
I don't understand why the papers are saying he would miss out if Ashton came back. Monye isn't nailed on to start by any means, in fact i would say it's his starting berth that is under threat. Ashton right wing, Sharples left would seem the best answer. Can the Glaws fans confirm that he can play left wing?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 am

I have seen Charlie at Kingsholm on RW mostly, with Sinbad on the left.
I do not recall seeing a LW appearance, but maybe HKC or England Reign can also comment on this ?
I noticed he popped up once or twice in support the the 'wrong' wing against Fiji, but only after England were clearly dominant.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:44 am

I did see a quote from him saying he can play anywhere in the back 3

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 am

Monye's defensive abilities against a sterner test in Aus would shade it over Sharples for me. Also, Monye has been playing better than Sharples domesitcally.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:58 am

Ashton often plays as a 'roamer' on the shoulder of the ball carrier, plus with more experience, so I feel SL could ask Ashton to transition to left wing vs Aus , leaving speedy Charlie where he is to settle in further in the white shirt.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 am

Surely..international standard wings should be able to play either side....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:25 am

Geordie, yes true in a general sense.
Vs the top 3 sides, minor marginal advantages can make a difference, such as positional issues. Ashton has more experience, esp vs Aussie.
But having said all that, I would feel comfortable with wing of Ashton & Sharples with either on the right.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:25 am

I would have Ashton and Sharples. With Monya on the bench.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 am

bathmad wrote:Monye's defensive abilities against a sterner test in Aus would shade it over Sharples for me. Also, Monye has been playing better than Sharples domesitcally.

I don't think Monye is a notably better defender than Sharples. In fact the stats from the weekend are 4 made and none missed for Sharples, none made and 1 missed for Monye. Monye has had the better season in the AP so far, but then Sharples has missed a large part of it through injury and performed well in the last couple of games he had back. His performance at the weekend suggests that he's now back up to speed. Can't fault Monye for his effort and he's a decent enough player, but for me he's never quite bubbled as much as you would hope in an England shirt (2 tries in 14 starts to date).

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:51 am

Sharples' egg was due to a tackle he made early in the game. However, I think it was an allergic reaction - English wingers so rarely touch the ball they come out in a rash if they do Wink

I know I have seen Sharples play LW, but I can't for the life of me remember when!! The vast bulk of his game time with Glaws has been at RW as Sinbad has pretty much made the LW his own. But as he did for England he does pop up all over, so I would have no concerns if he were to be moved.

I think Ashton could do with some time on the sidelines, but I can see him replacing Monye in the line up. Australia know what he is capable off, so the extra attention they will inevitably pay him should open up gaps elsewhere.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:16 am

Gregor

I appreciate there are subtle personal preferances such as what foot they prefer stepping of..which is their strongst passing side etc...which will affect which side they play on.

I must confess i havent been te biggest of Sharples fans...BUT accepting we were playing Fiji...i finally saw what he has and can see him being a quality winger for England. What i liked was his work rate...he actively went looking for the ball...something some of our wingers have been reluctant to do.

Id be happy with Ashton and Sharples on either wing.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:50 am

I'd go with Ashton and Sharples, Ashton tends to have a stormer against the Wallabies, as does Youngs and Sharples impressed me against Fiji, his first try was great.

Monye just seems to bash straight into the opposite winger whenever he gets the ball and i'd rather he tried looking for space. Though having said that, if he starts running the inside shoulder for England like he does Quins he could be very useful, all 3 of them would be. Sharples defence was very good i thought, he has good technique and isn't small.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:24 am

Sharples and Ashton for me (with Goode at FB) but perhaps a back 3 of Ashton, Monye, Brown against SA.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 am

LondonTiger I agree in a way. I think it's important you either go with a more Saracens centric back three or a more Quins centric back three.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 am

Wasn't Monye called up for Ashton anyway? Or was that for someone else (Foden)?

I also would have Ashton and Sharples. Didn't Sharples play full back at Gloucester for a bit as well? As did Monye of course censored

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 am

Monye is solid, but as others have said he looks for contact rather than space too much. Sharples looks to have the greater potential and the Evening Standard say he wants to play on the left-wing. It's riskier than sticking with Monye, but worth a go.

The other possible selection is bringing JJ into the matchday squad. The issue then becomes who plays FB if Goode gets injured?

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:29 am

its a tricky one. there is an argument to start the same team against OZ, no one really under performed. I do think however think that ashton will be recalled, his big game experience could be an important factor in what will still be an inexperienced side. despite his 2 tries, sharples lack of test experience could see him be the one to make way.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:39 pm

I say this very tentatively but I've never really understood the fuss about Monye. I've met him at my church and he's a superb feller but I've always felt that whilst he can step, catch, look up and grubber, he doesn't seem particularly able to do two of these in a row. He's an A to B blaster and whilst that will get you some tries, I think that the modern winger needs more. I know that Monye already has Lions experience but we're comparing international wingers to international wingers now and the value that has is really minimised in this era.

It's clearly got to be Ashton and Sharples. Ashton scores because he's always looking for working and Sharples has the best rugby brain out of the three and a zinger of a step.

Ashton will be on the plane to Oz already provided he can keep his discipline and leave the dwarves alone. Sharples needs a solid international season (AIs and 6N 2013) to be in the frame - not impossible but he's up against some more established (not better, necessarily, just better established) international players in Ashton, North, Bowe, Trimble, Cuthbert and Visser.

If it's a traditional Lions squad of 35 or so, then you're only looking at 4 wingers anyway and it's possible that wingers who can also play full back will get preference for their versatility - Halfpenny, Brown and Hogg to name but three.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:02 pm

I don't know much about the England wingers, but from what I saw on saturday Sharples looks a good prospect. Looks like a 'thinkimg' player to me, the way he checked back inside a few plays before his first (?) try, and also the try itself reminded me of Cory Jane.

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 pm

I have always seen Moyne as the type of player who looks good in the club game but a donkey if he gets into the international teams. Whats happened to Srettle? I always thought he has the pace and skills to suceed.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:53 pm

I wonder if Goode continues his form at full back whether a fit Foden will go LW as before?
I am still personally hoping Wade gets a go in the 6Ns. Plenty of choices in the future with May & Biggs in the mix.
Monye will be 32 at the next World Cup & whilst still a physical specimen he won't have the out & out pace of the younger men. Something which set him aside as a younger man himself.

For just the next game I would go Ashton RW & Monye LW with Sharples pace to come on in the second half. Harsh on Charlie but there you go, I personally think you should stay on your natural side.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:57 pm

JJ is back for the OZ test this weekend and he certainly could have an impact on selection if not the starting 15 then the bench.

Bench:
youngs
farrell
JJ

so the winger that is not selected may not make the bench either, brown could also miss out on the match day squad.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:28 am

Bench
Youngs
Twelvetrees
Burns

I wish !

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down