The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austin confirms he could wrestle again

+9
MtotheC
Crimey
Kay Fabe
Mr Video Man
Mr H
Kid Vicious
westisbest
NickisBHAFC
Hero
13 posters

Go down

Austin confirms he could wrestle again Empty Austin confirms he could wrestle again

Post by Hero Tue 13 Nov 2012, 9:39 pm

Steve Austin recently spoke about working with John Cena and more. Here are the highlights…

Could he ever be medically cleared to wrestle again?: "It's not even about being cleared. I'm 100 percent fine. Once I had my fusion done in 2000 and I went into the recovery phase and then got back in the ring, everything was fine and dandy. I was just running too hard towards the end and had a few issues. It was time to get out. Passing the physical isn't the issue."

Is CM Punk the only guy he would come back for to wrestle?: "I think John Cena would be a guy as well. I really like John. He is the face of that company right now and he has done a hell of a job and I got a lot of respect for him. You look at a guy like Triple H, that was one of my favorite guys to work in the ring with. Such a ring general and such a pro. Just an easy night at the office. Undertaker is kind of beat to shreds, kind of like me. Those would be a few guys off the top of my head. Would it just be CM Punk? No. Is CM Punk at the top of the list? Yes!"

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Austin confirms he could wrestle again Empty Re: Austin confirms he could wrestle again

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue 13 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm

Fantastic news.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Austin confirms he could wrestle again Empty Re: Austin confirms he could wrestle again

Post by westisbest Wed 14 Nov 2012, 8:39 am

If you want to see Stone Cold back in the ring............... gimmie a 'hell yeah'

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:20 am

It'd be cool to see him in the ring again, but it would be a mistake for him to come back on a one-off and go over one of the top stars in the company. What I would really like to see is him come back and do the job for Punk at Wrestlemania. He sticks around for a few months postWM cos Wade Barrett lays into him about the loss. A mini feud with Barrett sees Austin put Barrett over too. And then he can take that HUGE paycheque into the sunset and retire for good.

Last edited by Kid Vicious on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:52 am

What i hate about a potential Austin comeback is that whether he wins or loses it will end with him hitting a Stunner and celebrating on the second rope with a beer. If he's going to put Punk over, put him over. Dont stand over him at the end of the match after losing and pour beer all over him.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Wed 14 Nov 2012, 10:58 am

Mr H wrote:What i hate about a potential Austin comeback is that whether he wins or loses it will end with him hitting a Stunner and celebrating on the second rope with a beer. If he's going to put Punk over, put him over. Dont stand over him at the end of the match after losing and pour beer all over him.

i have a feeling wwe wont let him use beer because beer isnt "pg" Wink
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:09 am

Perhaps Punk will crack open a Pepsi over him?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:10 am

Jericho used alcohol in his programme with Punk earlier in the year.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

They had Punk mocking a guy who had a heart attack this week, I'm sure a beer would be allowed, hardly like Austin's celebration has him shooting up in the centre of the ring.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:19 am

The WWE was far more PG sensitive in 2009 and they didn't think twice about having Jeff Hardy dump beer and tobacco all over Punk

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:28 am

I said it in jest but I reckon an ending where Punk mocks Austin's celebration by pouring a Pepsi over an unconscious Austin would be rather iconic.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 14 Nov 2012, 11:33 am

Hero wrote:I said it in jest but I reckon an ending where Punk mocks Austin's celebration by pouring a Pepsi over an unconscious Austin would be rather iconic.

It would be very cool, especially if he cracked the cans together and did the whole thing. The problem is that I doubt Pepsi would want to be associated with what would be an uber-heel.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 14 Nov 2012, 4:36 pm

Free advertising on a PPV that goes global endorced by a figure idolised by huge amount of young men, I think they'd lap it up myself!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 14 Nov 2012, 7:19 pm

Hero wrote:Free advertising on a PPV that goes global endorced by a figure idolised by huge amount of young men, I think they'd lap it up myself!

When I first started writing my reply I actually set out to say Pepsi would snap it up as great advertising, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised Punk will by that time have established himself as a hated heel (hopefully), especially against Austin, so it might be a case of bad advertisement to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 14 Nov 2012, 7:29 pm

I think most wrestling fans would want to see Austin in a match and if his opponent is CM Punk then all the better. But let's face it punk will have to do the job theres no way Austin comes back for one more match to lose...I don't see this as a passing the torch match with a respectful hand shake afterwards, I think wwe and Austin would be far more concerned with protecting his legacy and having punk stand over him with a Pepsi can in hand would be the last thing many stone cold fans would want as their lasting memory of an icon.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 14 Nov 2012, 9:06 pm

I disagree on that, from all that Ive read from Austin he genuinely seems to admire Punk and there is a mutual respect between the two.
I think he'd be far more willing to pass the torch than Rock & Cena.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 14 Nov 2012, 9:17 pm

Austin understands the business, he knows at this point his best use is to put a younger star over.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Nov 2012, 12:28 am

Because of what happened in 2002 with Austin 'taking his ball and going home' there is a common misconception about him, many believe he wouldn't put people over and was unwilling to do so, some of which was true but a lot of it wasn't.

Austin is/was old school in his thinking, he had no problem losing or putting people over but he wanted to do it the right way, he had a gimmick made of solid gold and was fiercely protective of his character but that doesn't mean he wouldn't do business, he just didn't want to throw things away cheaply as he felt it would damage his character and had no long term value to anyone.

I must admit, if Austin came back against Punk I'd expect Austin to go over him, the reason being I could see the match being the Main Event and I don't think there would be a screwy finish to an Austin return one-off match, so it'd need to be a clean win for Punk and I just don't see that happening as a heel, I do think Punk would get the rub of his life though and the build up would make Punk look a million bucks but come the final minutes of WrestleMania I'd see Austin after a 25 minute match manage to hit a Stunner and win the match and end the show with a Beer bash

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Thu 15 Nov 2012, 6:58 am

That was the point I was trying to make, I don't think Austin is unwilling to put the right person over at the right time, I just don't see anything other than an Austin win in this scenario.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 15 Nov 2012, 9:43 am

We go back to the old 'You dont have to go over to get over' saying.

Punk's ridiculously over anyway. He has well over 1m followers on Twitter. He's a multitime World Champion. He's on the cover of the WWE13 video game.

Reports online yesterday suggested that Punk WILL be in the closing match at Mania 29. Once he's headlined Wrestlemania in a marquee match, he's pretty much done it all.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 15 Nov 2012, 10:08 am

Austin wouldn't have a problem putting CM Punk over, as mentioned before he would want it done the right way.

He gave Rock the win in his last match and that didn't harm his legacy either.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:59 am

He had gone over rock (who was champion) twice at mania at wrestlings peak, hardly gave him the win!

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 15 Nov 2012, 12:37 pm

wrestlings peak?
please.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 15 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

Thats what you take from it?

Raw had average ratings of 5.9, 5.88 and 4.64 99-2001 with Mania 17 being the first to break 1 million buys.

The point stands that Austin went over rock (who was champion) twice in a very popular time for professional wrestling - he was hardly 'giving' him the win come 2003.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 15 Nov 2012, 1:11 pm

Ratings, whatever. It's the peak in terms of ratings, sure I can't argue that. But I assume you meant peak in terms of best product? That's where I would have to completely disagree with you.

I agree with you about Austin and The Rock.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 15 Nov 2012, 2:03 pm

Ent wrote:He had gone over rock (who was champion) twice at mania at wrestlings peak, hardly gave him the win!

I meant even losing to The Rock clean didn't hurt is legacy. Obvioulsy Rocky was due the win.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 15 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:
Ent wrote:He had gone over rock (who was champion) twice at mania at wrestlings peak, hardly gave him the win!

I meant even losing to The Rock clean didn't hurt is legacy. Obvioulsy Rocky was due the win.

Yeah but again it was the rock, a guy who he had beaten 2/3 times in the main event, twice when he was coming in as champions - losing clean to him was never going to harm his legacy in the way that returning as a one off for a clean loss to a heel might, maybe not in our eyes (probably enhance him) but in the kayfabe it might through some eyes.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Nov 2012, 2:53 pm

I don't think it would. In kayfabe terms it makes perfect sense that the old guy coming out of retirement, as legendary as he might be, can't beat the best WWE currently has to offer.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:21 pm

Crimey wrote:I don't think it would. In kayfabe terms it makes perfect sense that the old guy coming out of retirement, as legendary as he might be, can't beat the best WWE currently has to offer.

Yeah but the cheating heel?

I don't mind what happens (braced for cena going over rock clean), just trying to think like the wwe bookers (throw some scripts down the stairs lol?)

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:24 pm

Exactly Crimey!
He shouldn't be able to beat the best WWE has to offer. In kayfabe terms they're both trained fighters. One is early 30's with no history of injuries, one is late 40's with a pair of dodgy knees, a broken neck and hasn't been in a ring in years. It's a no brainer.

Hulk Hogan, the most selfish man in wrestling, came back and put over a rookie Lesnar. Surely Austin would have no problem putting over a well established star? And if he does, screw it. They don't need to massage his ego by putting him over Punk. It'll only only hurt the product in the long term.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Nov 2012, 3:43 pm

Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:I don't think it would. In kayfabe terms it makes perfect sense that the old guy coming out of retirement, as legendary as he might be, can't beat the best WWE currently has to offer.

I don't mind what happens (braced for cena going over rock clean), just trying to think like the wwe bookers (throw some scripts down the stairs lol?)

This if at WM 30 would be over a year away, Punk's character could develop in any number of ways by that time.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stevec Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

I don't believe that Austin could "go" in the ring. He's no spring chicken and his knees are dodgy even if his neck isn't as bad as I'd fear.

So for me the rush off hearing the shattered glass and seeing him march into the ring to deliver a high intensity promo would be off-set by what I'd then expect to be a rather tepid performance.

I'd truly love to see the character again, but personally I can see him working better as a special guest referee. In particular, if they reprised the WM13 No DQ match with Austin playing the Shamrock role. A similar ending would still work IMO (Austin awarding a TKO) then Austin stunning the winner for continuing to beat up on the loser.

stevec

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:52 pm

stevec wrote:I don't believe that Austin could "go" in the ring. He's no spring chicken and his knees are dodgy even if his neck isn't as bad as I'd fear.

So for me the rush off hearing the shattered glass and seeing him march into the ring to deliver a high intensity promo would be off-set by what I'd then expect to be a rather tepid performance.

I'd truly love to see the character again, but personally I can see him working better as a special guest referee. In particular, if they reprised the WM13 No DQ match with Austin playing the Shamrock role. A similar ending would still work IMO (Austin awarding a TKO) then Austin stunning the winner for continuing to beat up on the loser.

Steve Austin wouldnt need to wrestle a technical masterclass. He'd have the audience in the palm of his hand purely through ring psychology and his mere presence. Someone like CM Punk or even John Cena could carry Austin for 20 minutes and make it entertaining. Austin has always been about being smashmouth, and thats what i'd expect his offence to be.

The Undertaker is shot to pieces but his matches are awesome because of his aura and ability to hold the attention of the audience. Austin would be the same, and you can guarantee the crowd would be hot for him. Many of us would prefer a 5 star crowd with a 3 star match over a 3 star crowd and a 5 star match.

I'm confident Austin could still 'go' anyway. He might gas a bit, but he's not an invalid.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by stevec Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

I think you have a point. But I'm not exactly sure how it works for the psychology of the match.

This isn't going to be a fast high-flying to-and-fro affair. More likely it would be tie-ups and stomps in the corner, etc.

My perception is that Austin would be a crowd hero, so babyface whether he wants to be or not. I don't think that would suit if he were on top for most of the match, dishing it out. And if he's getting beaten up, but pulls the stunner out at the end for a surprise win, that works for the fans, but I don't see what WWE gets out of it.

stevec

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:06 pm

stevec wrote:I think you have a point. But I'm not exactly sure how it works for the psychology of the match.

This isn't going to be a fast high-flying to-and-fro affair. More likely it would be tie-ups and stomps in the corner, etc.

My perception is that Austin would be a crowd hero, so babyface whether he wants to be or not. I don't think that would suit if he were on top for most of the match, dishing it out. And if he's getting beaten up, but pulls the stunner out at the end for a surprise win, that works for the fans, but I don't see what WWE gets out of it.

Probably about 1 million Wrestlemania buys, thats what.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:27 pm

stevec wrote:I think you have a point. But I'm not exactly sure how it works for the psychology of the match.

Austin hasn't been able to put on a fast high-flying match for most of his career and it hasn't stopped his popularity.

I think Undertaker is probably in a worse position than Austin fitness wise and yet he has put on one match a year for the past few years and every time they've been at a very high level. CM Punk could easily carry him through a good match.

I think one match Austin will be perfectly capable, he's not in the position to have a longer run, but that one Mania match I think he'd be able to do it, no problem. He's not at Hogan's level yet.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:49 pm

Crimey wrote:
Ent wrote:

This if at WM 30 would be over a year away, Punk's character could develop in any number of ways by that time.

Very true, give him a break and have him return as a face for a top feud then a respect type match/build up with Austin.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 16 Nov 2012, 6:05 pm

Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Ent wrote:

Very true, give him a break and have him return as a face for a top feud then a respect type match/build up with Austin.

I just don't think there is any point putting a face Punk against a face Austin, I've said this before on a different thread I think, that Austin's reactions will completely overpower those of Punk unless it's in Chicago. Why belittle Punk like that by showing how much more the crowd reacts to Austin? Have him as a hated heel and the feud with Austin will be much better. I'm not a huge fan of the respect match ups anyway, nothing better than a good old hero vs. villain.

For example, would you rather see Punk and Austin gushing over each other, or both of them ripping into each other and really going for it?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 16 Nov 2012, 6:24 pm

The latter Crimey, then do the respect thing after the match to pass the torch.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 16 Nov 2012, 6:31 pm

Mr H wrote:The latter Crimey, then do the respect thing after the match to pass the torch.

Exactly.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 16 Nov 2012, 7:34 pm

Honestly, I really don't think Austin would mind losing to Punk in a close match. The SCSA character gains nothing from a win and Punk gets a WM moment.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:11 am

Here's the thing, in order for a heel Punk and face Austin to have a feud you have to have an antagonist, the heel is generally the antagonist although an anti-hero Austin did this perfectly.

To get the best out of the Austin character you have to have him stand up in the face of adversity, Punk needs to be better than him, he needs to want to prove he's better than him, the thought of Austin being better than Punk should eat him up inside, this then causes Punk to do all he can to entice Austin out of retirement

Now if this happens and Austin goes on to lose then all you're doing is going over a legend for no real reason, I don't see the value in that what so ever, fans pay to see the guy they hate get their ass kicked by the guy they like, Punk should win the battles, Austin prevails in the war

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:43 pm

Here's how i'd book it -

Punk faces Foley at TLC in a Tables Match. Punk retains.

Punk beats The Rock at the Rumble after a Lesnar assist. Cena wins the Rumble.

EC - Punk & Lesnar vs Triple H & Cena. Punk pins Triple H after an F5 and GTS.

Mania - CM Punk vs The Rock vs John Cena - Cena wins after pinning The Rock. Triple H beats Lesnar. Taker beats whoever. Sheamus perhaps.

Next night on Raw. Punk says he wasnt pinned at Mania, he lost his title but he wasnt pinned but he's achieved something bigger than that over the last 6 months. He's single handedly ended the Attitude Era. He beat Foley, he beat The Rock, and he beat Triple H. He says he's sick of the Attitude Era and he's glad he's finally put it to bed. Glass smash, out comes Austin to a huge pop. Austin says there's one tough SOB from the Attitude Era who Punk hasnt beaten. They look up at the Mania sign and the Main Event for Wrestlemania 30 is set - CM Punk vs Stone Cold Steve Austin. They've then got a year to promote the hell out of it. Have Punk going over old Attitude Era stars etc.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:46 pm

Mr H wrote:Here's how i'd book it -

Punk faces Foley at TLC in a Tables Match. Punk retains.

Punk beats The Rock at the Rumble after a Lesnar assist. Cena wins the Rumble.

EC - Punk & Lesnar vs Triple H & Cena. Punk pins Triple H after an F5 and GTS.

Mania - CM Punk vs The Rock vs John Cena - Cena wins after pinning The Rock. Triple H beats Lesnar. Taker beats whoever. Sheamus perhaps.

Next night on Raw. Punk says he wasnt pinned at Mania, he lost his title but he wasnt pinned but he's achieved something bigger than that over the last 6 months. He's single handedly ended the Attitude Era. He beat Foley, he beat The Rock, and he beat Triple H. He says he's sick of the Attitude Era and he's glad he's finally put it to bed. Glass smash, out comes Austin to a huge pop. Austin says there's one tough SOB from the Attitude Era who Punk hasnt beaten. They look up at the Mania sign and the Main Event for Wrestlemania 30 is set - CM Punk vs Stone Cold Steve Austin. They've then got a year to promote the hell out of it. Have Punk going over old Attitude Era stars etc.

You've sold WM30 to me based on that OK (though there was no mention of Dean Ambrose)

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 19 Nov 2012, 12:51 pm

Ambrose beats Cena at Summerslam after cashing in the MITB briefcase. Ambrose holds the title all the way to Mania but loses to Royal Rumble winner Heath Slater. How about that?!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 19 Nov 2012, 1:01 pm

I'd take that tbh!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down