The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bravest boxing performances

+10
BALTIMORA
Mr Bounce
Rowley
compelling and rich
Wright Hook
J.Benson II
Liam_Main
Imperial Ghosty
azania
Colonial Lion
14 posters

Go down

Bravest boxing performances Empty Bravest boxing performances

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:28 pm

There are too many to mention really so I have gone with five (in no real order I might add) that have always stuck with me. Woud love to know peoples thoughts and any other worthy inclusions they may have:

1. Fitzsimmons v Dempsy (Nonpareil)

The two clashed for the middleweight world title in 1891. Dempsey was considered one of the finest in the world at the time despite seldom weighing more than the modern welterweight limit of 147. However Fitzsimmons may be THE single biggest pound for pound puncher thats ever graced the sport and was a phenomenally hard hitting middleweight (easily the hardest hitting middleweight of all time for me). Dempsey reportadly weighed in light for the fight and what ensued was as destructive a beating as has ever been witnessed in the ring. Dempsey could not live with the power of Fitzsimmons which was easily enough to stop a heavyweight and was reduced to a bloody pulp after a few rounds. Having been sent down to the canvas over 12 times, Fitzsimmons himself began to beg Dempsey to quit for his own health. However the stubborn Irishman would not give in and it was left to Fitzsimmons to finally knock him out and then famously carry him to the corner himsef.

2. Billy Miske v Bill Brennan

An extraordianry and tragic story regarding the very underappreciated Billy Miske. Billy was a natural middleweight and was only stopped once in his career (by Jack Dempsey at heavyweight its worth adding). As a young man of not even 30 years of age he contracted a life threatning illness. Told by the doctors he had only months to live he nonetheless agreed to fight one last time against the highly rated Bill Brennan so that he could earn one last paycheque in order to give his family a decent Christmas. Unable to train properly and with failing health he amazingly managed to beat Brennan by knock out. Two months later he would succumb to his illness at just 29 years of age. Its also worth mentioning that Brennan himself would die in tragic circumstances later that year after being shot during an attempted mugging.

3. Frazier v Ali III

One of the all time great fights that will never be forgotten. The courage on display by both men has rarely been matched since on such a stage. A fight which both fighters gave everything and probably left behind the best part of their career in the ring that night.

4. Moore v Durelle

At the time it was witnessed there many who said it was the greatest fight of all time. Moore was floored three times in the first under savage blows and refused to quit. For six rounds Durelly pummelled Moore with huge shots but each time Moore got back up and somehow managed to survive. Finally with all energy spent having sustained a savage attack for six rounds, Durelle began to tire and Moore who miraculous managed to stay in the fight eventually turned the tide to win by knock out in the eleventh round.

5. La Motta v Robinson VI

The sixth installment of the famous and celebrated (if somewhat one sided) rivalry was the most brutal of the lot. La Motta shipped a tremendous beating for 13 rounds but rarely stopped coming forward. A visibly batterd La Motta refused to quit or even hit the canvas and was somehow able to withstand all that Robinson threw at him, miraculously managing to stay on his feet when he looked on the verge of knock out time and time again. Eventually with even the crowd beginning to boo out of concern for La Motta and the sheer one sided nature of the beating, the referee finally stopped the bout in the 13th with the Bronx Bull still on his feet. La Motta would go on to say that such was the punishment he had absorbed in the early rounds that Robinson was so exhaused by the end that his punches had lost all power.

This is but a small fraction of many of the great courageous displays in boxing. I would welcome any thoughts or any additions.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Bravest boxing performances Empty Re: Bravest boxing performances

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:33 pm

Brave or stupid?

The beating Lacy took against JC was fearful. That he continued to the final bell is either seriously brave or stupid.

I would add that anyone who climbs through the ropes displays outstanding bravery. They risk their lives.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:40 pm

Every time I watch the valentines day massacre I still can't believe LaMotta stayed on his feet, think the fight holds the record for most unanswered punches

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

Most recently Michael Katsidis was brave in his beating off Robert Guerrero he he was beaten for 12 rounds but still stayed on his feet and never gave up,Hes a warrior and one of my favourite boxers.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 21 Apr 2011, 7:52 pm

Good picks Colonial.

I would probably add Willard's loss to Dempsey. Being on the receiving end of one of boxing most brutal and famous beatings, Willard showed tremendous courage and attempted to fight to the finish despite suffering major facial injuries and broken ribs.

James Jefferies win against Bob Fitzsimmons in their re-match could be considered one of the bravest performances of all time, as well as one of the greatest comebacks. Similar to Willard, Jefferries suffered horrific injuries, cuts and bruises only to recover and finish Fitzsimmons with a vicious KO.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Wright Hook Thu 21 Apr 2011, 8:26 pm

Malignaggi against Cotto was brave! The guy might be a bit of a twit but he's got some massive gonads.

Wright Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

azania wrote:Brave or stupid?

The beating Lacy took against JC was fearful. That he continued to the final bell is either seriously brave or stupid.

I would add that anyone who climbs through the ropes displays outstanding bravery. They risk their lives.

hardly count calzghes feather fisted punches hardly the same as some mentioned, by the lacy fight joes had well gone and while got schooled it was hardly joe frazier loading his hooks on him.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:51 pm

Would have to count Danny Williams in his attempt at Vitali's title. was staggering the beating he took and the sheer number of times he got up. Danny may lack for plenty but heart is not amongst his weaknesses

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:02 pm

compelling and rich wrote:

hardly count calzghes feather fisted punches hardly the same as some mentioned, by the lacy fight joes had well gone and while got schooled it was hardly joe frazier loading his hooks on him.

Eubank wouldn't call JC a feather fisted puncher.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:44 am

azania wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:

Eubank wouldn't call JC a feather fisted puncher.

To be fair that was about 10 years prior to the Lacy fight in which time Calzaghe had scored 1/2 genuine knockouts

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:08 am

You dont put Eubank down if you are feather fisted (with or without Reyes golves).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

Like I said it was ten years before the Lacy fight during which time a host of hand injuries robbed Calzaghe of any power he had.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:18 am

You don't have to be hit really hard to take a beating. That would be a KO... Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 22 Apr 2011, 11:05 am

Don't Forget it was a shot eubank aswell

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 22 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

couple of brave performances but ultimately to brave for there own good

benn v mchellen
eubank and watson

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 22 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

Katsidis vs JMM, not for the punishment he took in the ring(!) but for the fact that he went ahead with the fight despite losing his brother while he was training for it. I fear now Katsidis may well have his better days behind him, which is a real shame, because he definitely has heart and huge cojones.

Also good call to whoever said Malignaggi. If only his fists were as hard as his head he'd be a fearsome guy to face!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

I personally wouldnt include Lacy's performance against Calzaghe. He showed heart to finish the fight, but he wasnt exactly facing a fearsome puncher in Calzaghe.

Although Calzaghe carried more power earlier in his career, he was never a genuine hard hitter. Certainly not by the time of the Lacy fight.

For example, you can't compare the punishment Lacy took against Calzaghe to the punishment Briggs took against Vitali during his 12 round beatdown. The former was simply a schooling. The latter was actually quite sickening to watch and Briggs was perhaps too brave for his own good.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

Benn-McClellan is an obvious one, but so too, for me, is Eubank-Benn I in 1990. Eubank basically out-battled and out-gamed Benn, walked through hell to get the win, and even his harshed detractors (and God knows, he has a few) had to admit that it was a tremendous display of guts.

Another Brit also springs to mind here - Jim Watt, who took an absolutely brutal beating against the fantastic Alexis Arguello. To say that Watt got bashed up for fifteen rounds is an understatement, but incredibly he was still standing (his face an absolute mess) at the end and even summoned a smile.

Would also have to add La Motta versus Dauthuille in 1950. The absolute epitome of everything which La Motta was about.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:09 pm

Good shout on Watt Chris i believe he said he took his defeat like a man that night of which he certainly did. Reminded me of Scott Harrison against Manuel Medina, his face was everybit as bad as Jim's that night and was another case of the brawlers being truly outboxed by the slick style of Arguello/Medina.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:22 pm

Abraham vs Miranda I, fought most of the fight with a broken jaw...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 22 Apr 2011, 1:26 pm

Ray Boom Boom Mancini put in a spirited performence against Arguello before those body shots took there toll and Arguello finished him.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down