The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bravest of the Brave.

+7
davidemore
azania
AlexHuckerby
Waingro
Mind the windows Tino.
88Chris05
Mr Bounce
11 posters

Go down

The Bravest of the Brave. Empty The Bravest of the Brave.

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 9 Jan - 13:52

Having read the thread about the fighters who have traded on one fight it got me thinking about Danny Williams. Not the Tyson fight or his beating at the hands of Vitali, but his struggle against Mark Potter when his shoulder popped out, and more than once.

Obviously in terrible pain, Danny refused to quit, got his corner to put the shoulder back in (only for it to pop out again) and then knocked out Potter with his left hand. He showed unbelieveable courage, bravery and a total will to win (and possible stupidity had the shoulder been unrepairable) and earned himself a lot of plaudits for it. He certainly went up in my estimation. I can't post up a link as I'm at work.

It almost seems a sham he's still fighting - he's doing a Holyfield but at a much lower level...

What's your favourite story of courage in the ring?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

The Bravest of the Brave. Empty Re: The Bravest of the Brave.

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 9 Jan - 13:56

Dennis Andries against Hearns would have to be right up there - say what you like about how limited Andries was, but by God, there wasn't an ounce of dog in him, as the old timers would say.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 9 Jan - 13:57

Mr Bounce wrote:Having read the thread about the fighters who have traded on one fight it got me thinking about Danny Williams. Not the Tyson fight or his beating at the hands of Vitali, but his struggle against Mark Potter when his shoulder popped out, and more than once.

Obviously in terrible pain, Danny refused to quit, got his corner to put the shoulder back in (only for it to pop out again) and then knocked out Potter with his left hand. He showed unbelieveable courage, bravery and a total will to win (and possible stupidity had the shoulder been unrepairable) and earned himself a lot of plaudits for it. He certainly went up in my estimation. I can't post up a link as I'm at work.

It almost seems a sham he's still fighting - he's doing a Holyfield but at a much lower level...

What's your favourite story of courage in the ring?

I met Danny Williams shortly after that fight at Russell Square tube station. He still had his arm in a sling. Nice guy.

Goodbye.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 9 Jan - 14:00

Eubank against thompson and Benn against McClellan and katsidas against marquez and guerrero there are lots of one to choose from really

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 9 Jan - 14:02

Like I said in the other thread I've always liked Danny Williams, really brave guy, or rather determined... or just mental, don't know the right way of describing these kind of guys.

Always loved Hattons way of fighting, he wasn't the greatest technical operator but the way he fought against Kosta was immense walked through everything and anything and just kept going.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 9 Jan - 15:37

People seem to fotget the beatings Tyson took against Lewis and Douglas without quitting.

Watson v McCallum is another where Watson was thoroughly outboxed but never once looked like quitting. The KO was sickening also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 9 Jan - 15:55

Carl Froch or Eubank have to be up there for bravery!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 9 Jan - 16:03

Arthur Abraham fighting on with a broken jaw against Miranda and winning no less. I can only imagine breaking ones jaw is extremely painful and cant be very helpful or comfortable when someone is punching you on it for the remainder of the fight.

To a lesser extent but someone I find to be under rated in the bravery department is Maidana. Took some massive shots and knock downs in the Ortiz fight that would have stopped most but he just kept coming and wore his man down. Also the body shot he took in the first round against Khan looked horrible. Credit to him that he survived and came on strong later in the fight. Brave man.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 9 Jan - 17:03

Malignaggi against Cotto. He took a beating that night, had his jaw broke and never looked like quitting. The guy may be a bit of a tool but he's as tough as anyone around.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 9 Jan - 17:23

Ray Mancini trying to stay in there while being drilled with terrible body shots from Arguello is almost painful to watch. On the subject of Mancini, the way Duk Koo Kim actually got up off the canvas and seemed to want to carry on fighting, seconds before collapsing in the corner was incredible.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 9 Jan - 17:27

Now that you mention Arguello....

Jim Watt taking a horrendous 15 round beating off Arguello. When Jim Watt talks about bottle and heart you should listen the man knows what he's talking about.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 9 Jan - 21:02

Evander Holyfield on so many occasions

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down