The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide

+13
alfie
Mike Selig
slaterslc
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Fists of Fury
Duty281
skyeman
Gerry SA
Shelsey93
KP_fan
msp83
Biltong
Pal Joey
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide - Page 3 Empty Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide

Post by Pal Joey Wed 21 Nov 2012, 6:57 am

First topic message reminder :

November 22-26, Adelaide Oval
Start time: 1030 CST, 1100 EST, 0000 GMT

Australia:
1 Ed Cowan, 2 David Warner, 3 Rob Quiney, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke*, 6 Michael Hussey,
7 Matthew Wade† , 8 Peter Siddle, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Ben Hilfenhaus, 11 Nathan Lyon.

South Africa:
1 Graeme Smith*, 2 Alviro Petersen, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Jacques Kallis, 5 AB de Villiers† , 6 Jacques Rudolph,
7 Faf du Plessis, 8 Morne Morkel, 9 Dale Steyn, 10 Imran Tahir, 11 Rory Kleinveldt.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SA Team revised)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide - Page 3 Empty Re: Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:21 am

Its Jacques Rudolph batting in at 4 in place of Kallis, and that means AB de Villiers will be batting in his usual position.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide - Page 3 Empty Re: Australia v South Africa, 2nd Test Adelaide

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:24 am

SA still need another 180 runs to avoid the follow on. Since Australia batted at a frenetic pace and set up the huge total, even just avoiding follow on won't be of much comfort for South Africa.
The morning session has produced wickets on both days, SA shouldn't lose any more today. Another hour of play remaining, Clarke would dearly love to take out 1 or 2 more today.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:27 am

Another review here, this time it is Australia going up for an LBW call against Rudolph of Warner. Not out.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:29 am

The ball is turning a bit for both Lyon and Warner.
Seen set for Imran Tahir to perform the most astonishing act of career revival?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:57 am

SA 207-2, Smith batting 106.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 23 Nov 2012, 8:10 am

I have no faith in Tahir, he hasn't shown me anything yet that suggests he is good enough or accurate enough even if the wicket turns square with prdigious bounce.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 23 Nov 2012, 8:23 am

I guess Smith deserves some credit for leading from the front, with Amla gone and Kallis not in top fitness he needed to stand up to be counted.

The proble though is Rudolph, will he stick around long enough?

SA will have to bat the whole day tomorrow.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:23 am

Graeme Smith, as all ways, leads from the front. Would be brilliant if he racks up a massive 250.

If we get passed Australia, we'll roll them in their second innings.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:26 am

Where is that numpty slaters now, eh? Telling me my comment was silly, when it has been proved totally correct. A shocker of a pitch, and the Aussie curator should be ashamed.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:29 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Where is that numpty slaters now, eh? Telling me my comment was silly, when it has been proved totally correct. A shocker of a pitch, and the Aussie curator should be ashamed.
I think this pitch is pretty pathetic, so you've got someone who agrees with you FoF.

If this was in Asia, they groundsmen would be getting slaughtered.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:32 am

Absolutely, Gerry. Oh I know, two world class pace attacks so let's make it an absolute featherbed for a run-fest. It is the kind of track that assists in the decline of Test cricket.

We don't want to see easy double hundreds, we want to see hard fought hundreds and plenty of wickets and assistance for the bowlers.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:36 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Absolutely, Gerry. Oh I know, two world class pace attacks so let's make it an absolute featherbed for a run-fest. It is the kind of track that assists in the decline of Test cricket.

We don't want to see easy double hundreds, we want to see hard fought hundreds and plenty of wickets and assistance for the bowlers.
I think Australia maybe playing the long game as such.

By hammering the Proteas in Brisbane and on D1 at Adelaide, they might be hoping that they are still shell shocked come the Perth Test. Where is should swing around.

It's a dangerous game if you ask me. As someone like Steyn can blow anyone away if he rediscovers his best form.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:54 am

Morkel was the stand out today.

Disagree with both of you - I reckon it's still a bit premature to say that on Day 2. The run rate already slowing down and it's also possible someone like Pattinson could blow a few batsmen away in a cluster early tomorrow morning. Lyon... and our man Warner will assist too. Wink

Just like some were talking "700" yesterday it turned out not to be the case. Nonsense talk. Like I say, let's wait & see before jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, I wish Smith all the best. Tough character shown as always. He looked to be in pain (along with Steyn at times). Still 3 days to go. We could still see another "Adelaide Alive" scenario late on Day 4, Day 5. So hold yer horses!

Even Tahir could come into it. Only room for improvement there and I ain't joking either.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:08 am

The pitch has pace and bounce, lateral movement with the new ball, and a bit of turn already on day 2.

Sometimes batsmen just bat well, and bowlers bowl poorly.

Nothing wrong with the pitch whatsoever, in fact it's got more life in it than your usual Adelaide pitch (which often has a bit of tennis ball bounce).

Australia will be disappointed with the dismissals of Clarke and particularly Wade early on this morning, when it ought to have been clear that the new ball was the key and South Africa were looking for an early boost.

Kudos to Smith who batted superbly.

Still a long way to go in this test.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:10 am

At last some sanity.

Good to see you Mike. How are things with you?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

It is pridominantly a new ball, first session pitch for bowlers. After that it is mostly about the batsmen. But the ball was turning a bit today and very good to see that happening. I did say yesterday only Graeme Smith can play the kind of backs to the wall innings in the given situation and he just went ahead and did that. But his job is only half done, particularly as Kallis is not fully fit and Hashim Amla back in the hut.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:23 am

All well now thanks. A bit busy recently with cricket and non-cricket related stuff, so haven't been able to watch as much cricket as I'd have liked. This day's play was the first I've watched in its entirety for a while.

People too quick to jump to conclusions sometimes. Talk of Australia scoring 700, Clarke 400 etc. New ball, fresh bowlers, Clarke having to start again. Never got his feet going at all today.

Wade looks a good compact player, but that was a poor waft outside off-stump, something he's done a fair bit already.

Pattinson should bat ahead of Siddle, far better technique and range of strokes.

Morkel bowled a really good hostile spell. His working over of Clarke reminded me a bit of how he worked over Pietersen at the Oval.

Kleinevelt looks a bit average to me, not sure he should be playing as part of a 4-man attack (I understand Kallis etc) - I said when South Africa anounced the squad that Tsotsobe should feel unlucky.

Tahir I admit to being wrong over. Not test standard. His wrong-un is his only dangerous ball, but all the batsmen (and Pattinson) seem to pick it just fine. His leggie doesn't turn enough to cause real problems. Cue him rolling Australia out second time around.

For Australia I thought Lyon bowled nicely. Hilfenhaus was mostly back of a length and that's not the right length for him.

As for the rest of this test, tomorrow is crucial. Australia will want to get a wicket before the 2nd new ball, then a couple at least with that. If they do that, and restrict South Africa to about 400 then they're well on top. If South Africa can bat through tomorrow, then they won't be far from Australia's score, and it's hard to see Australia making enough time for the win, so realistically the pressure will be on this (still fragile) Aussie line-up. If the pitch starts breaking up I think Morkel will be a handful if there's uneven bounce as often happens at Adelaide.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:35 am

Totally agree with both of those possible scenarios, Mike.

I'm sure the physios would have been working overtime on quite a few players after today's play. It's a very physically taxing environment out in the middle (batting or bowling) especially in that 2nd session.

The players are generally pretty fit but tomorrow will be key for both sides. 34 degs C or more again... still 27.2 at 10:30pm.
Whoever recovers best overnight will be the significant factor in the outcome of this one.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:47 am

Totally agree with you on Tahir, Mike. I think all of us thought that he would give SA something they didn't previously possess.

But as time has passed its become increasingly clear that not only can international batsmen deal well with his variations, but that mentally he struggles to keep bowling good lines when people get after him. At his age I see it as unlikely that he will improve, and so moving away from him is probably the right thing to do.

I always thought Johan Botha has been terribly unlucky to play just 5 Tests (he spent a long time as number two to Harris, who he is much better than), but with his move to captain South Australia that would seem unlikely.

Therefore, its probably time that Robin Peterson got a chance in Tests again. He's improved in one-dayers of late, and is probably a little more attacking that Harris.

Also agree re Tsotsobe. He was highly unlucky to be dropped from the 1st choice XI when Philander was picked primarily in the first instance because he can bat. I don't really know why he's slipped down the pecking order so quickly. It might be to do with character - his spat with Essex highlighted potential issues in that department.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:56 pm

Tsotsobe's ODI form slipped just a little bit in England, I can't see any other reason for him being axed. Didn't look like the best call SA selectors made at time it was done, and nothing since has changed it.
New ball again could be key tomorrow. But unlike the case with SA this morning, Australia will have to wait a bit before it becomes available, should give Grame Smith and Jacques Rudolph to settle down and deal with it. But Lyon looked good throughout his spell, and if he can take out one of them at least, it could be hard work for SA.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Nov 2012, 7:15 pm

this is developing into a contest.....SA could be looking at chasing 300ish on the last day....and are in the game with an outside chance.

Already my 3 euro bet ( call it gamble) on SA put yesterday at a return of 25 times is not looking totally outrageous...as the odds on SA-can win have dropped from a 25 times return to a 9 times return only
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 5:40 am

So Mike's 1st scenario eventuated... the one I had hoped for.

Wickets fell at regular intervals throughout the morning.
Jacques Kallis (58) came out at No.9 and made a decent stand with du Plessis who scored 78.

SA all out for 388, so Australia led by 162 runs and are currently 45 without loss. Their lead is now 207 runs.

Pattinson off to hospital for scans on his side strain. More bad luck in this match. Unbelievable for both sides!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:31 am

If Tahir ever bowls for SA again I will have a heart attack.

He is absolutely bloody useless.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:00 am

Ponting chops one on from Steyn... out for 16. Sad

Siddle comes to the crease as night watchman.
98/4 now, lead is 260. Less than 6 overs left.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by slaterslc Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:11 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Where is that numpty slaters now, eh? Telling me my comment was silly, when it has been proved totally correct. A shocker of a pitch, and the Aussie curator should be ashamed.

Here I am.

Wanna explain how 13 wickets have fallen (so far) today and this looks like being another great Adelaide test match on your "shocker of a pitch"??? Your comment WAS silly, premature and naive. Its a pitch that good batsmen will score runs off and bowlers who have a plan and bowl well to it will get wickets.

But I said that before didnt I?

slaterslc

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 7:45 am

Ive not really been following this ...but can anyone explain to me what has happened to Australian crickets depth that they have been forced into picking Quiney?
Is the cupboard that bare?

And did Hifenhaus get an injury as well as Pattison? He seems to have been massively underbowled

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 8:47 am

Appeasing the Victorians, Peter. I wouldn't have him near the Test team.

Hilfenhaus bowled OK (after Lyon and Siddle got the early breakthrough this morning) getting 3 wickets.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:02 am

Yeah I saw the figures ....was just surprised he didnt get more overs

I just find it baffling that a nation that used to supply every english county with their best middle order batsman only a decade ago now has to turn to a 30 year old whos not even played that much has a modest record at first class level.

Its just not the Australia I remember.

Most of the side looks to be getting itself back in decent order though

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:10 am

Yeah, except for Ricky. Still not convinced with Cowan... but I can see a place for Warner in there. Some of those middle order county players we supplied are running around as we speak in Shield matches. The ASP however is still making the odd weird selection/s.

It's like with a football or rugby team... we just need to get our best possible side settled across all positions but these damn injuries keep cropping up.

Same for SA I know... and India and England to a lesser degree I suppose but it's becoming so commonplace nowadays I'm almost getting used to it.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by slaterslc Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:22 am

We seem to be relying heavily on Clarke, Hussey and one of the openers to score all our runs. The 3 and 4 spots are far from settled and a lot will depend on what they do with Watson when he slots back in.

Personally im disappointed they dumped Khuwaja so early, he definitely has the ability he just needs to get the confidence that he deserves to be there.

The other player dumped is Phil Hughes (who had to go)...but he has reinvented his game and knocked up a ton against the Vics today so if he keeps putting scores up he may get another chance

I have been a big Ricky Ponting fan, like most Asutralian supporters, but he is not moving like he used to. He keeps saying he will know when its time to go...I dont think it should be his decision and I think the time is now.

slaterslc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 9:29 am

Feel exactly the same way slats but it's good to see those two guys putting themselves in a position again to get another chance.

I think the day might come soon when Ponting won't have a say in proceedings. Maybe Perth will be his last chance to try and make a big score again, otherwise I can see Khawaja or Hughes getting selected to play against SL.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:08 am

game's fantastically poised, cant wait for play to start tonight!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

Yeah, flat pitch eh? Smile

Game intriguingly poised. To state the bleeding obvious the Hussey-Clarke partnership is key. If they can get through the morning without loss, then Australia will be well on top. If not, then SA have a route to win the test from.

Lyon could be a major factor. Thought he bowled beautifully today without much luck, and could really trouble the SA batsmen second time around.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:45 am

yup lyon has been very impressive thus far, managed to settle into a good line and length, much better than his SA counterpart!

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 24 Nov 2012, 11:51 am

Fascinating match , eh ?

All the stuff about featherbed pitch seeming a bit overdone now - good bowling getting rewards. Still fancy runs to be made on this - if Clarke/Hussey doesn't produce the usual 150 plus I could see SA chasing down 350-380...

Then again it could all be over tomorrow Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

surely there must be someone better than Rob Quiney floating around in OZ domestic cricket?!

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:34 pm

Don't you just wish that you could take a comment back Wink A result either way possible here.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm

CF wrote:surely there must be someone better than Rob Quiney floating around in OZ domestic cricket?!

Who was the guy from about five years back who only played 8 -10 Tests averaging high 40's including a few centuries and for some reason was dropped?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 2:17 pm

Phil Jaques or Kato you mean?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by slaterslc Sat 24 Nov 2012, 2:47 pm

skyeman wrote:
CF wrote:surely there must be someone better than Rob Quiney floating around in OZ domestic cricket?!

Who was the guy from about five years back who only played 8 -10 Tests averaging high 40's including a few centuries and for some reason was dropped?

Probably referring to Brad Hodge? He has retired from everything except 20/20 now. He played his last test in about 2008 I think.

slaterslc

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 24 Nov 2012, 4:04 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Phil Jaques or Kato you mean?

Thanks Lb, Jaques is the one. Any reason for dropping him or not given another shot.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 24 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

Like you say he scored 3 centuries but then a few failures after that.

The selectors then had him on the outer when Warner came onto the scene and they were experimenting with players like Hughes and Khawaja.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012, 6:39 pm

Phil Jacuqes was class, but sadly a back injury also forced him out of game for about a year, and by the time he back, there were other players around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 25 Nov 2012, 4:27 am

Clarke and Hussey added 62 runs to their partnership this morning and another cameo from Patterson before the declaration was made with Australia 267/8 and a lead of 429 runs.

So about 4 and a half sessions for either SA to chip away at around 3 rpo, try and hold out for a draw or Australia to do the business.

Smith out early - ct Ponting b Hilfenhaus for a duck. SA 3/1.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 25 Nov 2012, 5:06 am

40/2 ...SA sinking slowly here.

That Clarke/Hussey partnership this morning, plus some tail end contribution rather put it out of their reach I think. And left even a draw a tall order. Expect a fair bit of spin bowling , and Australia will be glad players like Clarke and Warner can do their share , with the one bowler down.

Bad luck for Pattinson- out for the series now. He'd have enjoyed Perth.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 25 Nov 2012, 5:32 am

45/4 now.

Pattinson being ruled out for the rest of the summer opens the door for Mitchell Johnson or Josh Hazelwood to have a crack in Perth.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 25 Nov 2012, 5:51 am

Game over ...matter of time now.

Whole summer is it ? That is a real pity. First Cummins , now Patto.

Johnson again ? Perth should suit , but if he has one of his "wild" days they could regret it.
Siddle , Hilfenhaus , Starc ...would you try out a Hazelwood instead , lb ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 25 Nov 2012, 5:54 am

Of course, keep thinking he's not 100% fit yet. If Starc is fit then definitely he's the one.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:08 am

Agnew on hearing Mitch might get recalled

Oh that'll be fun, worth a trip out for

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:28 am

That didn't take long.

Bait duly snapped up! Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next