The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shot of the Year

+18
GunsGerms
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
John Cregan
Gareth_NI
Conehead
barragan
Diggers
navyblueshorts
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
pedro
incontinentia
golfermartin
Aruglia
JAS
McLaren
simo71
super_realist
22 posters

Go down

Shot of the Year Empty Shot of the Year

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Nov 2012, 7:57 am

Season is over so suggestions please. (no money shots from Nine Chins please Mac/Inco)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Shot of the Year Empty Re: Shot of the Year

Post by simo71 Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:00 am

Tigers chip in the 4th round of the memorial. Under that pressure in that situation that shot was simply stunning.

simo71

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:10 am

Super

Even you have to accept woods shot at memorial was amazing. It was also clrear that he fully intended to hole it, unlike some great shots which carry an element of luck. Many other on the day had that chip and failed to read the subtle break in the first yard or so after landing the ball. Woods noticed this and holed it. Jack though it was pretty good too.

I think McIlroy picked his putt on the 72nd at the PGA as his shot of the year so that has to be worth a shout. Despite being so far ahead I think he really wanted to finish in style in front of a large crowd who had almost encroached the green. At least on shot has to come from him that week, thats for sure.

Actually, did rory no play a very good shot from under a tree at some point that week? Or one of the many fine 3/4 irons he hit?

I am not a fan of Bubba's shot in the play off as i get the feeling there was a gap he went through and the hook less pronounced than is made out.

Adam scotts missed putts on 16 and 17 at the open may be the most crucial shots of the year, if that counts as shot of the year in some ways?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:10 am

Rose's massive putt against Mickelson was one of many that weekend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:12 am

Got to agree with Simo and Nicklaus, Woods flop out the spinach to a downhill green with water behind and with 4th round pressure on.

Close contenders? Bubba out the trees in the Masters play off, Ousthuizens Albatross at Augusta too.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:18 am

McLaren wrote:Super

Even you have to accept woods shot at memorial was amazing. It was also clrear that he fully intended to hole it, unlike some great shots which carry an element of luck. Many other on the day had that chip and failed to read the subtle break in the first yard or so after landing the ball. Woods noticed this and holed it. Jack though it was pretty good too.

I think McIlroy picked his putt on the 72nd at the PGA as his shot of the year so that has to be worth a shout. Despite being so far ahead I think he really wanted to finish in style in front of a large crowd who had almost encroached the green. At least on shot has to come from him that week, thats for sure.

Actually, did rory no play a very good shot from under a tree at some point that week? Or one of the many fine 3/4 irons he hit?

I am not a fan of Bubba's shot in the play off as i get the feeling there was a gap he went through and the hook less pronounced than is made out.

Adam scotts missed putts on 16 and 17 at the open may be the most crucial shots of the year, if that counts as shot of the year in some ways?

Mac, every pro tries to hole every chip. What's the point in trying to miss? Even I try to hole every chip and I'm just a club golfer.
I didn't see Woods anyway, but in context it was just a normal tournament and not a big event. I'm sure it had you making a mess of your pyjamas though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruglia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:33 am

I'd go with Rose's putt at 17 against Mickelson.

Good shout with Oosthuizen's 2 on 2 at Augusta too. That was unreal.

Last edited by Aruglia on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : good shout, great shot)

Aruglia

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu 22 Nov 2012, 8:55 am

I think that Donald's tee shot on 17 was pretty special on the Saturday evening of the Ryder Cup. Tiger already close, amost certain birdie, a Luuuuuke just slapped it closer. What a pressure shot!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:01 am

Woods also had an awesome shot from under a tree coming down the stretch in one of the tourneys he won. My favourite was Shane Lowry's holed 7 iron to set up victory in Portugal masters.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Nov 2012, 9:22 am

Any of Woods drives in the Ryder Cup were awesome. That one that came right back off the tree was brilliant. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:45 am

Roses putt against Phil was phenomenal, especially as it turned out to be the turning point of the RC and it was made under immense pressure. Otherwise the putt itself is seen made every week.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:29 am

Shot of the year was played by myself a modest 12 h/cap at the time.

Off a hanging lie, above a bunker, to a green that runs away towards the water.

The flag was about 5 ft on just over the bunker.

Lob Wedge in hand, cut right underneath it. One bounce & stopped 2 ft from hole. Yahoo
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:30 am

King Louis' albatross for me although TW's chip-in from the rubbish was pretty special.
Unlike Mac, I think Bubba's recovery shot in the Masters was pretty special. He did it with a wedge and it did indeed have a stack of hook spin - you only have to look at the way it screwed up the slope once it was rolling on the green.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:42 am

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Shot of the year was played by myself a modest 12 h/cap at the time.

Off a hanging lie, above a bunker, to a green that runs away towards the water.

The flag was about 5 ft on just over the bunker.

Lob Wedge in hand, cut right underneath it. One bounce & stopped 2 ft from hole. Yahoo

Dont you mean a not very modest 12 handicapper ? Very Happy

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:44 am

ernie's putt to win the open

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:45 am

Bubba's recovery shot would be my no.1.

It would have been an amazing shot if it was at an average tournament in the 2nd round but the fact it was a shot in a play off that led to him winning The Masters makes it much more impressive.

Notable mentions to Louis' double eagle, Tigers flop and Zach Johnsons bunker shot in the play off at (i think) the John Deere Classic. 6 iron from a bunker and he put it 2 feet away to win.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:47 am

Why do people call it a double eagle? An eagle is 2 under par, which would mean a "double eagle" should be 4 under, however it's only 3 under, so why don't they just call it an Albatross?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:00 pm

simpletons? Very Happy

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:02 pm

I too would go with Rose's putt on the 17th, with Luis/Bubba a close tied second. That putt had me convinced that he and Europe would go on to win.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:14 pm

super_realist wrote:Why do people call it a double eagle? An eagle is 2 under par, which would mean a "double eagle" should be 4 under, however it's only 3 under, so why don't they just call it an Albatross?

I was watching golf digests shots of the year footage on you tube only yesterday and the commentator (obviously American) called it a double eagle when it dropped and for some reason it just stuck with me today.

Apologies to the purists...........

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 12:33 pm

Oosthui........i give up.......Louis' 2nd shot the 2nd on Day 4 of the Masters..............for a 1.5 Eagle..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:00 pm

thanks for the apology conehead laughing

for some reason when i read super's post (i hadn't read yours above it), the johnny vegas and mun-key advert popped into my head:

vegas: "eh mun-key. don't you think crisp dust tastes better than crisp".
monkey: <shakes head> "simpleton"

i know...small things amuse small minds...

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:10 pm

How about Kaymer's winning putt at the Ryder Cup.

Can't be any more pressure than that........????
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:22 pm

Astated in the "Notes", I'm with golfermartin and Luke's iron to tap-in distance on Saturday at Medinah's 17th - considering the circumstances, Number One for me.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

Not sure if a seperate thread is needed but a worst shot of the year would be interesting

Furyk's hook at The US Open would be a strong contender as would be Louis's 3rd shot on the play off hole at The Masters when he chipped from the fringe and flew past the hole. Kyle Stanley's shot that spinned into the water was pretty awful as well when he had a 2 shot lead on the 18th.

There was a woman (IK Kim??) I think who missed a 1 foot putt to win a tournament this year that was an absolute shocker.

and of course take your pick from Adam Scott's meltdown. His approach on 17th being the ugliest but he made some terrible swings in that last hour.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

Bubba's shot for me - delivering under the pressure of a major. Amazing.

(Just ask Stevie's client Adam how difficult that is to do.)

Albatross, double eagle, call it what you want ... they are the same thing. Well played Louie!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:56 pm

Best "shot" of the year was the camera panning along the losing American Ryder Cup team Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

John Cregan wrote:Oosthui........i give up.......Louis' 2nd shot the 2nd on Day 4 of the Masters..............for a 1.5 Eagle..............

I agree.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 23 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

Conehead wrote:Not sure if a seperate thread is needed but a worst shot of the year would be interesting

Well, I can remember seeing a couple of hosel rocket lateral shots. P Hanson's at the 12th on final day of the Masters might have been a contender, but (a) he was having a bad day anyway so it wasn't that "shocking" in the literal sense and (b) it ended up short of the water so could have been worse. Homer Simpson had one during his singles match against Poulter I think too - commentators were aghast, but it didn't look anything as sideways as some of my shots.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm

Other than those mentioned already, some big shots:
Mickelson putt at riviera
Donald playoff at transitions
Fowler playoff at wells
Na at the players Laugh

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:23 am

Lastdamnation
Mickelson's putt was pretty special but do you think some of the brillance is taken from it by his failure in the play off.

I actually dont think it is, because the psychology at the time is the same whether he goes on to win or not.

You also seem to have a great memory for the better shot, I had forgetten about Fowler at quail hollow.

Not sure about lukes shot, I see that as Els Adam scott moment for the year.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:42 am

Phil's final round at Pebble Beach is my round of the year - a tour de force if ever there was one.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Nov 2012, 2:34 am

What about Rory in the PGA rounds 3 or 4? At some point I cant remember exactly when he blew the rest of the field out of contention.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:06 pm

Shane Lowry has won shot of the month for october.

The sublime 7 iron to the 11th hole on the final day of the Portugal masters has earned the Irishman the Euro tour shot of the month for october.

He said: "Theres always one shot you look back on whenever you win a tournament, and that was definitely it. It was actually a very difficult shot - I had 138 yards into a strong wind, so i wouldve been happy with anywhere on the green to be honest with you.

"But i hit a beautiful little 7 iron which took off straight at the flag, and stayed right on line into the hole. It was a very special moment on a very special day".

Congratulates Shane, I'm sure your shotmaking will continue to enthrall us for many years to come.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

The only shot of Lowry's I want to see is the shot of the harpoon fired by a Japanese trawler who have mistaken him for a whale.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

super_realist wrote:The only shot of Lowry's I want to see is the shot of the harpoon fired by a Japanese trawler who have mistaken him for a whale.

You're obsessed with the man. He's rapidly becoming your Moby Dick
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 29 Nov 2012, 3:13 pm

incontinentia wrote:Shane Lowry has won shot of the month for october.

The sublime 7 iron to the 11th hole on the final day of the Portugal masters has earned the Irishman the Euro tour shot of the month for october.

He said: "Theres always one shot you look back on whenever you win a tournament, and that was definitely it. It was actually a very difficult shot - I had 138 yards into a strong wind, so i wouldve been happy with anywhere on the green to be honest with you.

"But i hit a beautiful little 7 iron which took off straight at the flag, and stayed right on line into the hole. It was a very special moment on a very special day".

Congratulates Shane, I'm sure your shotmaking will continue to enthrall us for many years to come.

i remember thinking at the time it was a weird club choice. alot of lads would have been going in with 9s even with the wind (which wasnt all that strong)

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down