The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February?

+20
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
stevetynant
Kingshu
samuraidragon
Intotouch
Knowsit17
Shifty
rodders
SecretFly
RubyGuby
littlejohn
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
TycroesOsprey
Morgannwg
Irishhoneymonster
profitius
thebluesmancometh
Thomond
RogerLewis
24 posters

Go down

Wales or Ireland for 6N opener?

Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Vote_lcap50%Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 20 ]
Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Vote_lcap50%Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 20 ]

Total Votes : 40

Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Empty Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February?

Post by RogerLewis Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:02 pm

Wales get their butt's kicked by Argentina, Ireland absolutely humiliate Argentina. I don't normally look into "who beat who" as a way of predicting future matches, but you have to say Ireland are looking very tasty in attack and Wales aren't.

Ireland's club form and record in Cardiff also frightens me. Sexton is on fire. Shane Gilroy looks lethal and when BOD returns will D'arcy or Earls make way for him?

Whatever happens Wales will need to cut out basic errors and be a shadow of the side we have seen this autumn.

WALES CURRENT WEAK AREAS.

15. Halfpenny is too short and weak in the air. His try finishing is wasted here. Bring back Byrne/Henson/Hook or Move Liam Williams to 15 and put Halfpenny to wing.
12. Not a weak area when JD2 is playing, but I would like to see the WRU not treat Roberts as "undroppable". A Scott Williams / JD2 centre works well IMO.
10. I'm not asking for an out and out showboating attacking 10, just one that does the basics right.
9. Phillips occasionally does something fantastic, but 80% of the time he is a dire dire 9. Doesn't matter how talented a backline is when they get ball from a tortoise. Also the amount of times he just watches a ball instead of flinging it out is criminal.

FORWARDS

After yesterday I want to see more aggression and general nastiness. Other teams do it and get a way with it a lot of the time.

6. Not a problem when Lydiate is playing. He is phenomenal,
7. Not a problem when Warburton plays like his life depends on it.
3. Desperately miss Adam Jones.

My perception on the Wales v Ireland match is this. The game will be close if:

1. No Phillips or Priestland
2. Adam Jones and Lydiate play.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Empty Re: Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February?

Post by Thomond Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

Shane Gilroy? His name is Craig (unless you're likening him to Shane Williams)

I wouldn't be too confident ahead of the 6N, we know we can put in big games. There were a lot more positives from yesterday that we didn't see in other wins yes but will we play like that or try to play with some smeblance of creativity come February? I don't know.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? Empty Re: Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February?

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:07 pm

You are so lacking in any sort of rugby knowledge it is just humiliating you claiming to be welsh!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:08 pm

Alot can change in that time.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:10 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:You are so lacking in any sort of rugby knowledge it is just humiliating you claiming to be welsh!!

Coming from the biggest idiot on here, I don't know if your statement will stand.

Rather than throwing abuse how about you pick holes in what I've said and explain why I have no rugby knowledge and tell me why what I've said is wrong?

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:19 pm

So you call names and I'm the abusive one?!?!

Do you not remember the 6N just gone? Irelands club form were going to take Wales apart in Dublin, Ireland made favs by the bookies etc...

Also do you not think that Wales having double figures players out yesterday including 1st, 2nd and after a minute 3rd choice TH? Would any team in the world perform to their best losing 3 TH's?? So because James couldn't perform against one of the best TH's in world rugby Adam Jones is the missing link??

Talking about missing links wasn't it you in the summer claiming Roberts was the missing link in the backline because of our defence out wide???

Lydiate is not the answer to the lack of brute force at the breakdown, the answer is getting our strongest pack on the feild and not miss 8 players from the first team forward list!!

Warburton is our only 7 option? Or has blocked Tipurics rise to the fore this autumn by not being fit? Also because Warburton carried a few times and made 1 turnover in the final 20 mins when NZ were home and dry and make a load of subs does not mean he played well, he was awfull first half where the game was lost!!

Your not asking for an out and out showboating 10, but thats why RP is in the team, as a very good attacking option, his boot is his weakness (as well as his confidence) but Bigger is far more defence minded than RP!!

You are making yourself look so silly these days with your AWOP esque exploits, and frankly ruin what once was a decent board.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:So you call names and I'm the abusive one?!?!

Do you not remember the 6N just gone? Irelands club form were going to take Wales apart in Dublin, Ireland made favs by the bookies etc...

Also do you not think that Wales having double figures players out yesterday including 1st, 2nd and after a minute 3rd choice TH? Would any team in the world perform to their best losing 3 TH's?? So because James couldn't perform against one of the best TH's in world rugby Adam Jones is the missing link??

Talking about missing links wasn't it you in the summer claiming Roberts was the missing link in the backline because of our defence out wide???

Lydiate is not the answer to the lack of brute force at the breakdown, the answer is getting our strongest pack on the feild and not miss 8 players from the first team forward list!!

Warburton is our only 7 option? Or has blocked Tipurics rise to the fore this autumn by not being fit? Also because Warburton carried a few times and made 1 turnover in the final 20 mins when NZ were home and dry and make a load of subs does not mean he played well, he was awfull first half where the game was lost!!

Your not asking for an out and out showboating 10, but thats why RP is in the team, as a very good attacking option, his boot is his weakness (as well as his confidence) but Bigger is far more defence minded than RP!!

You are making yourself look so silly these days with your AWOP esque exploits, and frankly ruin what once was a decent board.

None of what you just said has contradicted what I have said. You have just added some points of your own.

Priestland cannot do the simple things right. SIMPLE things.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:26 pm

Right then roger, lets make this interesting, and put our money where our mouth is...

How much do you think Ireland will win by in Febuary? It'll be a simple bet, you call the score and if it goes better than you thought (Ireland smashing Wales) I'll quit the board, if however you are wrong you have to quit the board.

Well?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

Will Ireland tear Wales a new backside in Cardiff in February? 1347041234

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

Well just some old cliche's for you Roger (and a few of you Irish). Menioted before the world cup game and most recent 6 Nations fixture between the two sides;

Ireland will beat Wales because we've won this many Heineken Cups.

Ireland's average positon in the 6 Nations is 2nd.

Ireland have finished above Wales this many times in the 6 Nations.

Ireland have the worlds best back-row in Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip.

Moving on from that, no I am not worried. Wales' best pack of forwards has proven to be the difference at club and international level. It's gone to the extent where Wales kind of have a duck over Ireland, one they can't get over. We're currently missing three 2nd rows and two TH's. Ireland looked very strong against SA and Argentina while they're missing some vital players themselves. They absolutely thrashed Argentina and that shouldn't be taken lightly. Wales can win but we need;
1. A big improvement in club form.
2. Less injuries that we have now, with JD2 fit, Adam hopefully returning and AWJ as he always seems to play well against Ireland.
3. The passion and urgency to play for Wales that we showed yesterday. It was nowhere to be seen in the first two games.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 2:55 pm

Rodge?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

Ireland looked good yesterday but the Argentine defence was woeful. By throwing their full back forward at any and every oppurtunity they stretched the Pumas but that leaves them vulnerable on the counter or from a kick through. The Irish line is still awesome but Wales will have the edge in the scrum with Adam and Mitchell back. Murray and Phillips are much of a muchness and both teams have very good outside backs.

The big difference is at ten where Ireland have Sexton and O Gara who can both provide the game management that currently Wales miss. If our ten plays well Wales will win. Normally I dont ascribe to the perennial ten debates but at the moment it is the biggest problem position Wales have. Priestland desperately needs to find some form with the Scarlets or Biggar must be given the chance to establish himself. When fit we have a squad with real depth in every position but tens who are badly underperforming.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:06 pm

The O'Gara can provide the game management bit is a load of shoite Tycroes, he is not up the international any more. He shouldn't be starting for Munster either.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:06 pm

Would you say he's hampering Keatley Thomond?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:12 pm

Thomond wrote:The O'Gara can provide the game management bit is a load of shoite Tycroes, he is not up the international any more. He shouldn't be starting for Munster either.

That may be so Thomond, I havent seen much of him for Munster, but he can certainly do a better job than our incumbents on the Autumns showing. I will swap you Priestland for O gara if you like, they look as if they were seperated at birth so we may even get away with it.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:13 pm

Ouch, I wouldnt wish Rp on anyone right now, except maybe NZ Shocked

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

I would say the IRFU are hampering Munster to be honest. I would be pretty sure they are making Penney pick him so he is ready to go for Ireland. Keatley could be a decent outrhalf but a lot more is expected of JJ Hanrahan, could end up playing outhalf or centre. He is one to watch for sure, got some game time for us already. Bagged two tries v Zebre.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

It'll be close, very close.

The oohing and aahing over our attack is misplaced. We had a good game in that department after a long string of bad ones. We could revert to type just as easily as Wales' backline could click.

Can't help but feel this is merely the downswing of Wales' manic depressive rugby persona. You were never really a contender for all but the briefest of sojourns into the top three/top four and if you slip out of the top 8 that'll also not be a true reflection of where this Wales side is. Wales are still a good team and it wouldn't be a massive surprise if they knocked over Australia next week (a win will possibly lead to Grand Slam predictions, defeat and you'll no doubt be talking wooden spoons).

I think we're seeing the Six Nations in general is at a low ebb. We've become used to having a terrible record against the big three but now you'd say Samoa and Argentina are every bit as good as any 6N team besides France and even Tonga can mix it with Scotland and Italy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Ireland looked good yesterday but the Argentine defence was woeful. By throwing their full back forward at any and every oppurtunity they stretched the Pumas but that leaves them vulnerable on the counter or from a kick through. The Irish line is still awesome but Wales will have the edge in the scrum with Adam and Mitchell back. Murray and Phillips are much of a muchness and both teams have very good outside backs.

The big difference is at ten where Ireland have Sexton and O Gara who can both provide the game management that currently Wales miss. If our ten plays well Wales will win. Normally I dont ascribe to the perennial ten debates but at the moment it is the biggest problem position Wales have. Priestland desperately needs to find some form with the Scarlets or Biggar must be given the chance to establish himself. When fit we have a squad with real depth in every position but tens who are badly underperforming.

I think the scrums will be even,we've improved a lot there and seem to have found back up to Ross.I'd say Bent will proabably be starting for Leinster and Ireland by the 6N he looks good in the scrum but far more effective round the park than Ross.Obviously we need to see him play a few full games before that view is confirmed.

Our lineout was great yesterday but honestly that isn't the norm.We've been decent there the last few years but since Hayes retired it hasn't been the same.I would say it was only bettered by S.A. back then.

In truth Ireland still have a lot to prove and while yesterday gives us cause for optimism we've been here before so won't be losing the run of ourselves.I would say that injuries will have a lot of say in who wins the match so there's no point making any predictions til the teams are named.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:27 pm

It looked to me like Argentina were knackered and played very passively compared to when they beat Wales (and in general over the last couple of months).

On the Wales side I suspect the pre-Autumn internationals they have focused on strength and conditioning rather than combinations and ball skills - Anyone know for sure? They have been very passive in the ruck area and made tons of handling errors.

One thing for sure is that come 6N the Autumn form will matter not one bit - marquee players will be back for both squads, and I hope to God Kidney picks players on form and not due to 'experience'!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 25 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

I think Wales will win with something to spare in Cardiff - 10 points for me. With key players back and a powerful backline I believe we will win 4/5 in the 6 nations thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 25 Nov 2012, 4:15 pm

... 4 out of 5? Yes, you'll do well against Italy, Scotland, England and France Ruby.

But then again...we might decide to be knackered on that day (just like them poor sleepy Argentines) when we meet you... play at 30 %, score 9 tries and still let you win....on kicked points. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 25 Nov 2012, 5:04 pm

Wales will be favourites in Cardiff against and Ireland side they've beat 3 times in a row.

Wales didn't become a bad side overnight and I've seen enough false dawns under Kidney to get too carried away.

There's a lot of rugby to be played between now and February though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 25 Nov 2012, 5:52 pm

I'm not really worried about Ireland in Cardiff to be honest. Welsh teams are not scared of Irish teams anymore.

The Welsh may have issues in their heads with the Tri Nations teams and Islander sides but Ireland won't worry them. If we play well we can win, if we play badly we will lose. Basically the same rules both teams always play by.

Which ever team does the basics right, and makes the least mistakes will be the one that wins. On paper were about even.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 25 Nov 2012, 6:28 pm

Not sure what the author's obsession with Ireland is all about. Just now we have more pressing matters to address, such as not letting Australia dump us from the top 8 and complete an embarrassing cleansweep over us for another autumn. A game I might look to begrudgingly buy a ticket for just to prove to myself that no matter how low we drop I'll be watching the next game, even if it is in bitter pessimism more often than not furious

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sun 25 Nov 2012, 8:37 pm

I think that Wales have a better coach than Ireland. One who was absent before their recent internationals. So when he's back I think that Wales will improve and they will win the next encounter. Apart from that I think of them as close in standard.
Ireland needs players who can change a game plan when it's not working and have more than one tactic to try. Although yesterday our team looked super that was only one match and Argentina were missing shed loads of tackles.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 8:47 pm

Intotouch

Gatlands not back for the 6N though, he'll be back after the lions tour I think.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 25 Nov 2012, 8:57 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Intotouch

Gatlands not back for the 6N though, he'll be back after the lions tour I think.

Ireland by 30 so thumbsup

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 25 Nov 2012, 9:06 pm

asls

30? You flatter us!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

Shifty wrote:I'm not really worried about Ireland in Cardiff to be honest. Welsh teams are not scared of Irish teams anymore.

The Welsh may have issues in their heads with the Tri Nations teams and Islander sides but Ireland won't worry them. If we play well we can win, if we play badly we will lose. Basically the same rules both teams always play by.

Which ever team does the basics right, and makes the least mistakes will be the one that wins. On paper were about even.

I think you do a disservice to Wales in suggesting Welsh sides ever were scared of Ireland. I've always known Welsh International rugby to be the brand that showed up at the weekend against New Zealand - scared of nobody and always believing they can win against anyone. No?

But being scared or not has nothing to do with winning potential, as you alluded to. If Ireland keep improving now, with newer players replacing older ones quicker than was the case in the last few years, and if they emphasise their real attacking prowess [Top try scorers last 6 Nations - I think top try scorers so far in the AIs] rather than the stilted defensive priorities of recent times then they won't really care how scared or confident Wales are - they'll play to win just as Wales will.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon 26 Nov 2012, 11:04 am

Wales had a fine 6N, then a rubbish AIs, but basically Wales, England and Ireland are on the same level. France have pulled ahead and may now be, as one poster said, the third best in the world.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 26 Nov 2012, 11:09 am

Ireland Wales games have been really close in last few years, and I think that this time Ireland will be the ones to get the rub of the green, but we'll see, still think it will be close whichever way it goes.

Odd years are Irelands good years for 6 nations, England and France at home, so I'm hoping for a good 6 nations, and hoping for the title (same as every year). Welsh fans will be hoping for the same.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Mon 26 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

Ireland traditionally come good in a lions year as well and I still wouldn't bet against bod or poc being captain. Not sure the AIs have done much for Sam either as player or captain.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 26 Nov 2012, 6:28 pm

So a confident Ireland come to play a wounded Wales at the Millenium - Sounds a perfect recipe for a cracker thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 26 Nov 2012, 6:52 pm

Hey! Hold off on the psyche out stuff Ruby! We're not 'confident' yet. We're oh so cautiously optimistic that this might be the turn up in fortunes we've been long waiting for now.

But we'll need to test it and unfortunately the test will be the 6N. Consistency will tell us if we've really found method and players to match it or whether it's yet another false start. Wales will of course enjoy trying to prove that - yep, it's the latter again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 27 Nov 2012, 6:48 pm

Consistency? What's that? I'm starting to really feel for what the French fans go through. No clue in advance how things will go. Even when playing the same side a week later! I don't know whether or not to be disappointed when they're not super or amazed when they're not rubbish. I wonder how long this will go on for.. the Frenchification of Irish rugby.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Nov 2012, 7:55 pm

Pity Barnes is off the international refs panel. I guess it will have to be the Frenchman Rolland this year.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:02 pm

On this level of thinking England should have teared Australia a new the other week because France did and England consistently beat the French!

But then Scotland beat Samoa this summer so will they surely tear Wales a new one this coming six nations.

Or is this article a desperate attempt to get the Welsh and Irish posters at each others throats?

On a realistic note as a fan i would say Wales will win due to home advantage and Wales have found Ireland out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:03 pm

It'll probably be a draw.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

Lets hope the ball boy in on form!!! Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:13 pm

viewtothegym wrote:
Or is this article a desperate attempt to get the Welsh and Irish posters at each others throats?

He got banned in a week so which do you think?

Seriously though the yo yo form and relatively evenness of all the 6 nations sides means its always silly to confidently predict a big victory by any side. Wales are always bad against SH opposition, and sometimes good at getting grandslams.

Theres 4 teams with a realistic chance of winning the thing this year. Thats why its a good competition for the fans even if the actual rugby is poor.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:15 pm

Aye, it'll be compelling stuff even if the actual rugby isn't the best.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:44 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Lets hope the ball boy in on form!!! Run

The one eyed Franco-Irish Ref will keep him in check..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:47 pm

ive voted for Wales based entirely on wishful thinking.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:49 pm

I've voted for Wales because I have done all Autumn and they keep losing.... Whistle ..... Wales .... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:01 pm

Kidney and his coaches have really struggled to get the gameplan right against Wales. We just haven't dealt with their threats very well, and they've been able to shut us down quite easily.

However if the keep up their current form, we should be able to beat them. Then with France and England coming to Dublin, you never know? Fingers Crossed
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Kidney and his coaches have really struggled to get the gameplan right against Wales. We just haven't dealt with their threats very well, and they've been able to shut us down quite easily.

However if the keep up their current form, we should be able to beat them. Then with France and England coming to Dublin, you never know? Fingers Crossed

you would have thought seeing our lack of alternative game plans that after four years in charge he would get it right...?

Ireland are a better team than Wales at the moment. We need form and home advantage to give us a chance.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down