The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Open at The Old Course - how often?

+12
Dave The Jackal
hend085
Roller_Coaster
Doon the Water
navyblueshorts
George1507
Skydriver
McLaren
super_realist
JAS
Diggers
barragan
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Open at The Old Course - how often?

The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 6 ]
The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 17 ]
The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 30

The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Empty The Open at The Old Course - how often?

Post by barragan Mon 26 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

First topic message reminder :

Straightforward question which is often mentioned in passing on various threads (including mac's catastrophe thread), but don't think we've ever done a poll on it. How often should The Open be held on TOC?
- every year
- every 5 years
- every 10 years
- never
- other

barragan

Back to top Go down

The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Open at The Old Course - how often?

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:55 am

Mac, McIlroy shot 80 because of the strongest wind in living Open memory.
There are NO hard holes on the Old Course if the wind isn't blowing a hooly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

The Open at The Old Course - how often? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Open at The Old Course - how often?

Post by Shotrock Wed 28 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

I've harped on this before, but you wait to see how penal (whacky) the set up is for the US Open at Merion next year. Fairways have been narrowed to ribbons, length added to holes that were already long enough (IMO), rough so deep it's almost a water hazard and, weather permitting, greens at crazy speeds.

Why? The USGA blue coats have an obsession with protecting "par". I say they should simply call every par 4 under 400 yards a par 3 and then let the players play the normal set up there.

The Open Championship set ups never seems as goofy as the US Open set ups.

If this sounds as it I'm being critical of the golf course that is Merion East, I'm NOT. It's an amazing course, one that will test every shot in your bag.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:07 pm

Shotrock wrote:I've harped on this before, but you wait to see how penal (whacky) the set up is for the US Open at Merion next year. Fairways have been narrowed to ribbons, length added to holes that were already long enough (IMO), rough so deep it's almost a water hazard and, weather permitting, greens at crazy speeds.

Why? The USGA blue coats have an obsession with protecting "par". I say they should simply call every par 4 under 400 yards a par 3 and then let the players play the normal set up there.

The Open Championship set ups never seems as goofy as the US Open set ups.

If this sounds as it I'm being critical of the golf course that is Merion East, I'm NOT. It's an amazing course, one that will test every shot in your bag.

I remember when I was at Pebble xmas 2009 them saying that the USGA were specifying they wanted the fairways no wider than 27 yards at driver distance for the Open in 2010....that's a very very narrow target from 300 yards away. Some courses need that more than others if preserving par is the objective, I'm not quite sure why they see "protecting par" as important tho, basically it's the same course for the whole field.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:35 pm

McLaren wrote:I remembered writing something on the old 606 about trumpton and the open. so decided to try and find it.

To my surprise it seems a blogger stole my article and posted it as their own.

My original

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A74361611

(also had i edited it properly it would have read goofy set up at winged foot, and not make it seem like I think winged foot is a goofy course)

then this cheeky imp re posts it;

http://intotherough.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/donald-saviour-of-classics-trump.html

I wonder how often articles are stolen from 606v2, especially the decent one's like kwini's?

Anyway, back to the hosting of the open. I think my point from 2010 still stands in that there is no reason to begin to alter the playing characteristics of the classic courses for the sake of pro golf. For this reason - as much as i would like to see it happen - i would have to oppose hosting the open on the classic heathland courses.

I would rather see the open played at the Belfry than have the current scenario where TOC is butchered because mcilroy went 63-80. I wonder, will they make the holes where he took double on his way to an 80 easier?

Quality....I can see both Mac & Gael's debating skills haven't improved any in 2 years.....Oh how this board misses LJ!!

Incidentally I'm looking forward to my Muirfield trip in March even more now

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:47 pm

JAS - Indeed, they all play the same course and set up ... but why would you want someone to make your course so punishing it's hardly playable for the average golfer? And for what is essentially a weekend.

I know probably 20 members at Merion and, if it weren't for the fact that they have a much more golfer friendly West Course at their disposal, I'm not convinced the heavy handed (IMO) direction from the USGA would be so quickly embraced.

Again, not a knock on Merion and their members -- they run an exceptional club.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:56 pm

Shotrock wrote:JAS - Indeed, they all play the same course and set up ... but why would you want someone to make your course so punishing it's hardly playable for the average golfer? And for what is essentially a weekend.

I know probably 20 members at Merion and, if it weren't for the fact that they have a much more golfer friendly West Course at their disposal, I'm not convinced the heavy handed (IMO) direction from the USGA would be so quickly embraced.

Again, not a knock on Merion and their members -- they run an exceptional club.

Ah....I get the specific point you're making now, I suppose Pebble's example a bit different as it's public access, I don't think any "members" play it (could be wrong) although I know Spyglass has a membership. So do the club have the choice i.e. When the USGA come knocking and say "we would like to hold the U.S. open on your course" can they say... "erm NO". I would assume that they can

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:07 pm

JAS - Very good point ... they absolutely could say no. In fact, other clubs have said no to the USGA. Not an easy thing to do in reality: having a major championship at your course does wonders for membership demand, guest play, and absolutely feeds plenty of egos.

I, for one, am glad they did not. I'll be working at the US Open (our club is marshaling a hole). Hope the weather holds up.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:21 pm

Shotrock wrote:JAS - Very good point ... they absolutely could say no. In fact, other clubs have said no to the USGA. Not an easy thing to do in reality: having a major championship at your course does wonders for membership demand, guest play, and absolutely feeds plenty of egos.

I, for one, am glad they did not. I'll be working at the US Open (our club is marshaling a hole). Hope the weather holds up.

I would imagine Merion's waiting list would be substantial anyways and being "members and their guests only" I wouldn't think they'd be scratching for ways to boost visitor bookings...so must be down to the egos then Wink

I bet you're looking forward to that...do you know what hole your club's been allocated yet?

What about the course in general, who is it going to suit (fader/drawer? long/accurate? green complexes/contours/speeds?)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:49 pm

Rumor is it will be the 1st hole.

Merion East is one of the finest courses I've ever had the privilege to play. One will need to work their ball both ways to score there. Biggest issue? Stay in play off the tee. Only two par 5's (holes #2 and #4) so you better birdie one of those. Final 5 holes will be punishing.

A friend of mine took buckets of photos, but know they were taken BEFORE much of the "fixing" for the US Open:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/MerionEast/index.html

Last edited by Shotrock on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Again, boring people spell the same way all the time.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:05 pm

Shotrock wrote:Rumor is it will be the 1st hole.

Merion East is one of the finest courses I've ever had the privilege to play. One will need to work their ball both ways to score their. Biggest issue? Stay in play off the tee. Only two par 5's (holes #2 and #4) so you better birdie one of those. Final 5 holes will be punishing.

A friend of mine took buckets of photos, but know there were taken BEFORE much of the "fixing" for the US Open:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/MerionEast/index.html

Nice...I guess the pin placements manager doesn't like people walking all over the greens lol

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2