The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black)

+8
Shifty
VinceWLB
wales606
Impossible Standards
thespreys
XR
ScarletSpiderman
pioden gorllewin
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black) Empty Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black)

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 am

THE Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market after being hit again by their Wales injury curse.

Aaron Jarvis joined the region's never-ending autumn casualty list when he suffered what Warren Gatland reported "looks like a serious knee injury" in the national team's 33-10 defeat by New Zealand.

And with Ryan Jones picking up an eye injury, the Pro12 champions have now seen six players hurt while on national service over the past three weeks, with Alun Wyn Jones, Richard Hibbard, Dan Biggar and Ian Evans crocked at various points.

The situation has become particularly desperate in the front row, where Adam Jones is also sidelined, and the Ospreys have their Heineken Cup double-header against Toulouse hurtling towards them.

Owen Williams played at No. 3 against Edinburgh last Friday, but he has been figuring largely for Bridgend in the Premiership this year and even his biggest admirers might feel it is a big jump from the ranks of the semi-pros to facing Gurthro Steenkamp, Jean-Baptiste Poux, Census Johnston and the rest of Toulouse's heavy-duty front-row brigade.

Moldovan Dimitri Arhip is expected in Wales any day, but with Dan Suter and Nicky Thomas set to be away on Wales Under-20s duty during the Six Nations, the Ospreys believe they have to open their cheque book.

They are only allowed to bring in one extra player at this point in the Heineken Cup.

And a problem they could face is that agents will recognise how desperate they are and do all they can to squeeze extra cash out of them.

One name that has been mentioned is Campbell Johnstone who nearly signed for the Scarlets this summer. The ex All Black failed a medical with the Scarlets and was released by T14 team Biarritz. He is currently playing for Tasman in NewZealand.

Last edited by pioden gorllewin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black) Empty Re: Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black)

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Have they considered having a word with Phil Davies and seeing if they can loan Simon Gardener from tehm, he will come far cheaper, and is a decent enough player. Also has experience of stepping into a set up in a propping crisis and doing a good enough job.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black) Empty Re: Ospreys are poised to enter the transfer market (Capture former all black)

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Owen Williams seemed to really struggle against Edinburgh/ John yapp. So they really need to find an alternative option.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I appreciate the injuries are racking up but the Ospreys are well over the cap because of their massive squad, should they be allowed special dispensation?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Just like the Blues and their NWQ players and the Scarlets.Why do the WRU ignore this? or is it special dispensation?.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Salary cap is easy to get around,ie sponsored players.Its been going on for years.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm

thespreys wrote:Just like the Blues and their NWQ players and the Scarlets.Why do the WRU ignore this? or is it special dispensation?.

NWQ Limit is 8 (max of 6 capped), and the Scarlets have Jacobie Adriaanse (non-capped), Deacon Manu (capped), George Earle (non-capped), Johan Snyman (non-capped), Sione Timani (capped), Tomos Vallejos-Cinalli (capped) = 6 (3 of which are time serving). That is far under the cap ( http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/rugby/people.php feel free to check).

To be honest the WRU have made special dispensations tot he NWQ limit before, for Rickie Jannurie as a crisis signing, so I am pretty sure they would allow a 'crisis' signing at prop for the Ospreys as a special exception to be beyond hte cap, especially if it is only a three month contract.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 pm

To be fair to ospreys they've lost 3 TH's within a two week period. One while representing wales. Don't see any harm them bringing in someone on a short term contract. its more a case who's available and within their price range. Th aren't cheap.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 pm

I sure the Dragons could loan you some of there front row... Shocked
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Have they considered having a word with Phil Davies and seeing if they can loan Simon Gardener from tehm, he will come far cheaper, and is a decent enough player. Also has experience of stepping into a set up in a propping crisis and doing a good enough job.

Gardener was released by the Scarlets and has found his way to Cardiff RFC where he has been getting some consistent gametime last I heard
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm

thespreys wrote:Just like the Blues and their NWQ players and the Scarlets.Why do the WRU ignore this? or is it special dispensation?.

The Ospreys have lost 3 WQ THPs! With crucial HC matches to come, I don't think anyone can blame them for not trusting the Bridgend RFC Prop against Toulouse.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:05 pm

exactly 606,what other region offers front row options?,so i feel its only right that the ospreys are allowed to get who and whatever they like.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 pm

I hope they sign a decent TH as it could get really ugly against Toulouse.

Time is running out though.

Ryan 3rd choice TH at Munster has been loaned to LI in september and has done ok by all account.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:29 am

Patterson & Pretorious will be WQ soon so we only have Filise, Kyriacou, Bourrust, Copeland, Maafu and that Romanian guy...6, not sure what you're getting at Headscratch

Plus i don't think we should count Maafu, as he's atrocious and shouldn't be anywhere a stadium let alone a rugby pitch angel

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:39 am

wales606 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Have they considered having a word with Phil Davies and seeing if they can loan Simon Gardener from tehm, he will come far cheaper, and is a decent enough player. Also has experience of stepping into a set up in a propping crisis and doing a good enough job.

Gardener was released by the Scarlets and has found his way to Cardiff RFC where he has been getting some consistent gametime last I heard

I couldn't think who was at the top in Cardiff RFC, so I took a guess at Phill Davies having some clout. But realistically I think Gardener would be a good and very cheap option. I think he will be a bit like a returning Henson, keen to prove he can behave and act like a pro, and as such really step up to the mark.

thespreys wrote:exactly 606,what other region offers front row options?,so i feel its only right that the ospreys are allowed to get who and whatever they like.

Rhodri Jones, Ken Owens, Matthew Rees, Kirby Myhill and Samson Lee have/are all involved in the welsh squad int he last 12 months, I guess they would count as front row options?

gcBlues wrote:

Patterson & Pretorious will be WQ soon so we only have Filise, Kyriacou, Bourrust, Copeland, Maafu and that Romanian guy...6, not sure what you're getting at Headscratch

Plus i don't think we should count Maafu, as he's atrocious and shouldn't be anywhere a stadium let alone a rugby pitch angel

I think Thespreys has an issue with chips and shoulders.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am

Not at all,just can,t get my head around all the crap that is posted on this site.Short memory joking rugby supporters.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 am

thespreys wrote:can,t get my head around all the crap that is posted on this site.

I agree

Headscratch

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 am

gcblues: know what you mean about maafu - sure he wouldn't be on the biggest of contracts. but with flights, accommodation, car rental etc...might of been cheaper keeping yapp? he seems to have found some form in scotland.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 am

thespreys wrote:Not at all,just can,t get my head around all the crap that is posted on this site.Short memory joking rugby supporters.

I understand wehere your coming from, there is a heap of nonesence on here. But adding to it with fiction about NWQ quotas being stretched by teams etc, is just going to cause you to get stick.

Out of interest any prefference for who you would like to see brought in as cover, and it may need to be a longer contract now, as Jarvis is meant to be out for hte season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am

pioden gorllewin wrote:gcblues: know what you mean about maafu - sure he wouldn't be on the biggest of contracts. but with flights, accommodation, car rental etc...might of been cheaper keeping yapp? he seems to have found some form in scotland.

Yeah it would have been better but hey...Burnell & Baber's decisions they were, Yapp and Rees. I've always liked Yapp, some haven't, but i would have thought this year he would have been our starting LHP...but B&B didn't give him a new contract so he left. Sad

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:04 am

gcBlues wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:gcblues: know what you mean about maafu - sure he wouldn't be on the biggest of contracts. but with flights, accommodation, car rental etc...might of been cheaper keeping yapp? he seems to have found some form in scotland.

Yeah it would have been better but hey...Burnell & Baber's decisions they were, Yapp and Rees. I've always liked Yapp, some haven't, but i would have thought this year he would have been our starting LHP...but B&B didn't give him a new contract so he left. Sad

I agree, some awful decisions from B&B regarding Rees and Yapp
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 am

Just a quick thought about the Salary Cap. It is only in force for the European Competition (HEC and Amlin Cup) Squads. So theoretically the Ospreys will be removing Adam Jones out of hteir HEC squad, which will free up a huge amount of their salary cap in order to bring in another tighthead. So theoretically seeing as the SH teams are on their summer hols now, the Ospreys could secure a decent signing and still be able to operate within the cap.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/20/welsh-regions-salary-cap-heineken wrote: Wales's four regions have agreed to operate a salary cap next season, to help combat wage inflation at a time of falling attendances. Having failed to extract more money from the Welsh Rugby Union last week, the regions on Tuesday joined forces to ensure that players and agents are not able to play one side off against another.

The £3.5m cap will cover the 38-strong squads for the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup. It will not include development players and academy costs and it will come into force in June next year, regulated by a scrutiny committee.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Why remove Adam Jones? don,t you mean Aaron Jarvis?.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 pm

thespreys wrote:Why remove Adam Jones? don,t you mean Aaron Jarvis?.

I was thinking Adam Jones must be on £300k or there about, so that would free up megabucks, where as i couldn't imagine Jarvis being on more than £65k - £100k, which is not so much free cash. And seeing as Adam is going to miss the Toulouse matches he could then be re-drafted back into the squad in place of Jarvis (or this short contract bloke) later on in the competition. That said, just thinking, this is the time when you can add another player to the squad, I don't think anyone needs to be removed (but don't wuote me on that).

Is there any indication of anyone other than this Kiwi?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I was under the impression the new moldovan guy was badly injured in his final game in russia, hence why he hasnt arrived yet? Erm

So he isn't going to be much use to cover the 3 tight heads we have recently lost.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 pm

He is on the bench this weekend shifty

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 am

Cai Griffiths will be back on loan.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:48 am

Is the Cai Griffiths loan confirmed Maes?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 am

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12550/8293320/Cai-Griffiths-agrees-to-return-to-the-injury-hit-Ospreys-on-loan

just found link, it does look like Cai is coming back to help out.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 am

Even though Cai isn't the best prop int eh world, this may not be a bad signing, he knows the squad, the coaches etc. So theoretically it should take far less time for him to get up to speed than if they signed someone with a bit better name.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 am

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12550/8293320/Cai-Griffiths-agrees-to-return-to-the-injury-hit-Ospreys-on-loan
wrote:
However the 28-year-old, who has played six times for the Exiles, will now return - with the Ospreys also closing in on another tighthead prop.

So does that mean they are getting Dhirti (something like that i think), Cai and possibly this kiwiw too?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:44 am

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Ospreys-cavalry-way/story-17456359-detail/story.html

THE Ospreys are confident of making a Heineken Cup-quality signing “within days” after welcoming back a familiar face to the Liberty.

Cai Griffiths has returned on loan from London Irish until the end of the season and will go straight into the side that faces the Blues in tomorrow evening’s Pro12 encounter in Swansea.
.But with the 28-year-old North Walian cup-tied in Europe after playing for the Exiles in the Amlin Challenge earlier in the campaign, the Ospreys still have a void to fill in their front row, with Aaron Jarvis, Adam Jones and Joe Rees all sidelined by injuries.

The situation is desperate, not least because Steve Tandy’s side are in Toulouse in the Heineken Cup a week on Saturday and would not want to go there with an inexperienced prop.

Andy Lloyd, rugby operations manager at the region, confirmed that the Ospreys were closing in on a signing for Europe.

He said: “We are very close to competing a deal for an experienced tight-head to slot into our ERC squad on his arrival.“To lose our three main tight-heads to long-term injuries at the same time is unprecedented, and while Adam is pencilled in to return early in the new year, we expect to lose him again for the Six Nations.

“With Joe and Aaron out for the entire season that leaves us bare in a crucial position.

“When you factor in that we are likely to also be contributing two tight-heads to Wales Under-20s for a couple of months as well, then the need for cover in that position becomes critical.”

An Ospreys original back in 2003, Griffiths made 115 appearances for the region spread over nine years before moving to the Madejski Stadium in the summer. He has played six times for London Irish, including three outings in the Aviva Premiership.

Lloyd added: “While Cai is ineligible for us in the Heineken Cup, he will have a big part to play over the remainder of our Pro12 campaign, particularly during the international period.

“He will provide experienced cover in a key position, one where we have been stripped of all our senior options, and importantly he is already familiar with the Ospreys way having been a loyal servant for nine years previously.”

Sides are allowed to bring in two replacements for Europe, provided one of them plays in the front row.

Moldovan Dimitri Arhip will fill one of the spots, with the Ospreys confident of securing another signing within the next few days.

Wonder who the experienced European TH will be? Guess it rules out Campbell Johnstone then.

pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 am

pioden gorllewin wrote:Wonder who the experienced European TH will be? Guess it rules out Campbell Johnstone then.

Unless experience european TH can be read as a tighthead with european experience, as he has HEC experience from Biarritz.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 am

very true Spiderman. Be bit of a risk as I think he did have a bad shoulder or knee that nearly made him retire (reason why scarlets pulled out of deal). Not sure what the standard is in the ITM Cup rugby. Will he be able to go straight into HEC rugby?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am

Ture, but surely it is worth taking a punt on him, after all it is either him of Cai.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm

I just heard a rumour Owen Franks is sticking around after the weekend.

Similar deal to when we had Januaries to cover multiple scrum half injuries a few years ago...!

Now that would be a very tidy tempory replacement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:24 pm

That would be a real coup for the ospreys Maes. Hore using his old links at Canterbury to pull off this loan signing?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm

Here something i never got, say a really wealthy club like Leicester who always complain about the salary cap,why don't they offer bonuses?

You can't stop anyone earning a bonus, there must be tonnes of loop holes, bonus for tries ,points ,trophies!
You can give massive bonuses for the stupidest of things,anything that attracts big names.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 am

viewtothegym wrote:Here something i never got, say a really wealthy club like Leicester who always complain about the salary cap,why don't they offer bonuses?

You can't stop anyone earning a bonus, there must be tonnes of loop holes, bonus for tries ,points ,trophies!
You can give massive bonuses for the stupidest of things,anything that attracts big names.

You don't say...! Might be on to something there View mate. Wouldn't like to suggest that certain teams always win the Prem because they have a financial advantage eh would you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 am

nice one view ,thats exactly what i said about sponsorship ,its always gone on .There is no salary cap as such.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 am

Franks would be an awesome signing - and would ensure the O's have the scrum as a real weapon to take into the HEC

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:11 pm

thespreys wrote:nice one view ,thats exactly what i said about sponsorship ,its always gone on .There is no salary cap as such.

I think you'll find there is. Otherwise why would Bath and Saracens (backed by Megabucks 1 and 2) what to increase the English one? It's highly regulated and covers whatever the 'poorer' English clubs want it to cover as they're the majority. And by poorer I mean not got loads to kick around with. I don't know how many clubs are even at the cap now. I know Saints weren't at the start of the season as they said they had room in it if they needed more cover during the season and weren't looking at anyone in particular at the time. Tigers couldn't afford to go much over it, same with Quins. It's only really Saracens and Bath that really want it extending (or removing)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

its not rocket science,of couurse they want the finances raised thats just common sense,im sure you would like to have more interest on your bank account.Saracens would not be able to have a squad full of SA if they were operating within a cap.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Franks would be a cracking signing

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I think the Owen Franks signing might be a bit of a dream. But fingers crossed as Ospreys are down to the bare bones! 3 TH's and two 2nd rows out is massive. Especially when you have the Tigers and Toulouse packs in your HEC group. Smart move to bring back Cai, I can't see many packs troubling him, probably just Scarlets, Ulster, Leinster and Glasgow. Who is this moldovan? I was unaware of that signing.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:00 pm

thespreys wrote:its not rocket science,of couurse they want the finances raised thats just common sense,im sure you would like to have more interest on your bank account.Saracens would not be able to have a squad full of SA if they were operating within a cap.

If I was given free money then I wouldn't give Poopie what the interest was. If Sarries had no effective cap then why would they want it extending? That makes no sense. Who exactly in the Sarries camp do you think is earning the big bucks? Most of their South Africans are club players (who Sarries get a lot out of).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 am

looks like we were right and it was campbell johnstone the former all black that signed.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Ospreys-capture-Black/story-17493928-detail/story.html
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:00 am

Good signing. How come he's been out of contract though? Couldn't the Scarlets afford him?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 am

he failed a medical with us, so we pulled out of a deal. think he was close to retiring - but went back to NZ and played for Tasman in the ITM Cup.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 am

From the O's forum...

The Ospreys have moved to strengthen their front row options with the signing of former All Black Campbell Johnstone.

The former Crusaders and Biarritz tight-head has signed until the end of the season providing much needed cover for existing tight-heads Aaron Jarvis, Adam Jones and Joe Rees who are all ruled out with injury.
The 32-year old from Waipukurau arrives in Ospreylia in time for the busiest month of the season. The Ospreys face back-to-back Heineken Cup clashes against European heavyweights Toulouse ahead of big Christmas derby fixtures, before the focus turns back to Europe with the visit of old foes Leicester Tigers to the Liberty and a trip to Treviso.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next