The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward v Pavlik - Signed.

+10
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Super D Boon
AlexHuckerby
Seanusarrilius
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
bellchees
John Bloody Wayne
88Chris05
School Project
14 posters

Go down

Ward v Pavlik - Signed. Empty Ward v Pavlik - Signed.

Post by School Project Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Just heard this is a done deal.

Pavlik is there for the taking against Ward but he always show a lot of heart in a fight.

I can sense a late stoppage for Ward. Pavlik marks up and cuts easily, there will be a bit of wrestling on the inside and a number of head clashes. Overall a fairly straightforward Ward win.

Thoughts...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Ward v Pavlik - Signed. Empty Re: Ward v Pavlik - Signed.

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 pm

First off, I'm glad we're not having to wait months and months to see Ward back in action again. Outstanding fighter who I want to see strike while the iron's hot. Hopefully, with this penned for late January, we can see him fight three times in 2013, which is pretty rare for top fighters these days.

There certainly can't be any argument that he's looking to avoid punchers, as some have previously said. Pavlik can be outboxed, but he's strong, has a better jab than people give him credit for (as shown in the second Taylor fight) and takes some budging, too. He fights big, but the problem is that his legs are pretty heavy and he doesn't move his head or body when coming in. As such, I think Ward will beat him pretty much the same way he beat Froch. Just too quick and slippery for Pavlik, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm

What made Pavlik formidable at 160 was size. Power, strength, toughness were all his strongest attributes. However at 168 he doesn't have the size advantages that made said attributes his strengths. Ward could easily make 175 in my opinion, so size won't be with Pavlik this time.

I honestly think if Ward comes in as sharp as he did against Dawson, we're looking at a 120-108 here. Massive gulf in class.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:46 pm

For sure Chris... Pavliks jab is like a hammer, plus its deceptively quick. Talking to Gary Lockett a while a go and he said it was a strong as some straights. But you take his jab-cross away from him and he's exposed.

It's whether Pavlik has anything left. He seriously struggles with lateral movers, which Ward is capable of doing. But as of late Ward is boxing in straight lines. If he choses to bully Pavlik, it'll be interesting to see the inside game of both guys. Pavlik was clueless when Hopkins stood on the inside and threw combos before leaving Pavliks zone.

Good news is that Dan Goosen is rumoured to be putting Chris Arreola on the card too (he's always fun to watch). HBO have the card so they'll have a lot of saying the fights being aired.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:What made Pavlik formidable at 160 was size. Power, strength, toughness were all his strongest attributes. However at 168 he doesn't have the size advantages that made said attributes his strengths. Ward could easily make 175 in my opinion, so size won't be with Pavlik this time.

I honestly think if Ward comes in as sharp as he did against Dawson, we're looking at a 120-108 here. Massive gulf in class.

Spot on. Think Ward might get him out of there late though. Should also point out this isn't the case of Pavlik being a poor opponent more the case of Ward being just so good.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Yeah I'm not meaning to put Pavlik down, he's good at what he does and his timing of shots isn't bad at all, as he showed against Martinez. However the physical advantages were a big part of the rounds he won against Martinez. Ward is both bigger and slicker than Sergio.

I'd be surprised to see him stop Pavlik, as Kelly's tough and has always had a good engine, also despite the Dawson TKO I'm far from convinced by Ward's punch. I wouldn't try to discredit his win against Dawson as I thought it was phenomenal, but I have the feeling weight affected his punch resistance.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm

For pavlik to have any chance he has to destroy Wards body unfortunately JBW is spot on - he isnt big enough or strong enough to do it at smw.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Hard to see anything other than a shut out or late stoppage for Ward

Pavlik hasn't mad emus of an impression at 168lbs so some peopleay say its a soft touch but there are few fighters who Ward hasn't beat

Like mayweather and pacquiao, Ward is going to be an overwhelming favourite vs anyone he is put in with so he might have to receive a couple of criticism's throughout his career but that's a testament to how good he is

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Pavlik has no chance, IMO. Remember watching old BHop take him to school, this will be exactly the same except with a young Bhop. Late stoppage is good shout. Depends on glove size, though. Ward likes to wear those 50oz things sometime. Ok 12oz, but you know what I mean. Ward will dominate and look great. Andre Dirrell is the only one at the weight who can touch Ward, for talent anyeya, but he doesn't have it upstairs, IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 pm

I actually think Pavlik will cause Ward a fair few problems, he's still a pretty big SMW and he has a very good jab. Don't think he can win but I don't think it will be the white wash most are anticipating. Think Pavlik will be outsped and outworked early but will start to slowly come back into it toward the end.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 pm

88Chris05 wrote:First off, I'm glad we're not having to wait months and months to see Ward back in action again. Outstanding fighter who I want to see strike while the iron's hot. Hopefully, with this penned for late January, we can see him fight three times in 2013, which is pretty rare for top fighters these days.

There certainly can't be any argument that he's looking to avoid punchers, as some have previously said. Pavlik can be outboxed, but he's strong, has a better jab than people give him credit for (as shown in the second Taylor fight) and takes some budging, too. He fights big, but the problem is that his legs are pretty heavy and he doesn't move his head or body when coming in. As such, I think Ward will beat him pretty much the same way he beat Froch. Just too quick and slippery for Pavlik, I think.

Can't think why the wide eyed excitement for Andre Ward fighting again. The man showcases his brilliance in short bursts thickly enveloped in long and tedious bouts of holding and grappling with the odd butt thrown in.

Andre Ward will cut a very frustrated figure in boxing given there's a lack of any elite class around him and the fact he screwed up big time in fighting his nearest rival at his own weight rather than taking his titles from him at light heavyweight which he was more than capable of doing.

As for Pavlik his joie de vivre which compensated for his lack of technical ability has long since been distinguished by Bernard Hopkins then Sergio Martinez and as such represents a forlorn figure with nothing more than a punchers chance at glory.

Rubbish fight that Ward will take very easily.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 pm

I see this as a keep busy fight for Ward before a bigger challenge later next year (maybe even Froch II). Can't see anyway Pavlik can win. He's physical with a good jab, but has never been the same since Hopkins, isn't as effective above 160 and has had his problems with the sauce which, as we saw at the weekend, takes something away from a man inside the ring no matter how hard he trains outside of it. Add that to the fact Ward is a master technician at the top of his game I can't really get excited about this - can see a one sided fight with a late stoppage for Ward, but good to see him staying active.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:26 am

I thought Ward's performances against Froch and Dawson were superb and good to watch personally, Super D, but horses for courses and all that!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am

I think Ward takes every minute of every single round here.

120-108 or a late stoppage.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am

Fists of Fury wrote:I think Ward takes every minute of every single round here.

120-108 or a late stoppage.

100% agree. Theres now way Pavlik can win this. He doesnt even seem to still have the devastating power he had in his pomp.

I used to enjoy watching Pavlik when he was at his peak, but that seems an awful long time ago now.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am

Pavlik needs to get some blood in his alcohol stream if he is going to win this one

Which he aint because Ward cant be beat and he wont be beat

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 am

On the face of this Ward should win easily. Pavlik got schooled against Bhop, Ward is seen as a younger fresher version of him therefore should win. I would just love to see Ward tagged cleanly again!

Also I would love Pavlik to cause an upset though, just imagine Froch v Pavlik unification.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 am

Steffan wrote:Pavlik needs to get some blood in his alcohol stream if he is going to win this one

Which he aint because Ward cant be beat and he wont be beat

Haha, I think he's clean now... a dust up with his brother outside of a bar sorted him out I believe.

Non-topic related... but where did you get the titty-dancer avatar thing from? That's hilarious mate.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 am

His brother should of busted him up. I cant say nothing though me and my brothers used to have a few dustups after one too many beers

The girl in my avatar is a piece I picked up in Merthyr like. Not bad is she only got 4 kids like although the oldest one lives with his dad. Nutter he is mind been inside for knicking cars like. That was a long time ago though 2011 or something like that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

picard

Steff, this is for your reply in the 'Gavin in as Bellew pulls out' topic.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down