The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's ODI's & T20 Series

+4
Mad for Chelsea
guildfordbat
Duty281
Stella
8 posters

Go down

England's ODI's & T20 Series Empty England's ODI's & T20 Series

Post by Stella Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:02 pm

The squads have been announced for the forthcoming 20/20 and ODI matches between England & India.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/594174.html

England T20 squad Stuart Broad (c), Jonny Bairstow, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Alex Hales, Michael Lumb, Stuart Meaker, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, James Tredwell, Luke Wright

England ODI squad Alastair Cook (c), Jonny Bairstow, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Stuart Meaker, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Pietersen, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, James Anderson (first three matches), Stuart Broad (final two matches)
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

England's ODI's & T20 Series Empty Re: England's ODI's & T20 Series

Post by Duty281 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:39 pm

Biggest talking points are Swann to miss all the limited overs games, while Pietersen and Finn will miss the T20s. Is it simply rotation, or have they been dropped?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:47 pm

Meaker seems to be quietly but firmly establishing himself in the selectors' minds ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:52 pm

rotation according to the BBC article. I very much doubt England would drop any of them right now. Swann's got his elbow condition of course, which needs careful management, and he'll have done a lot of bowling in the test series, so probably a decent decision there. It'll also give England a proper look at Briggs which is a good thing IMO.

I'm a bit more surprised at the decision to rest Finn and KP from the T20s, 8 overs only for Finn over two matches doesn't seem like too much. KP of course may be happy to be rested, as he's the one who keeps going on about playig too much cricket Wink

Another point: England have ditched Kieswetter in the T20 squad, which means Bairstow will keep. Maybe suggestions England are trying to groom him for the role in the longer ODIs, where I think he's more suited to the n°6 role than Kieswetter.

who of Bell or KP opens in the ODIs? how do you find a place for both? if you acknowledge the fact Bell probably has to open, does that mean leaving out Trott? or KP down to n°4?

finally, no Bopara suggests England don't think he's got over his mental problems yet...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

I maintain that KP should bat 3 in ODI's, but that would of course render Trott redundant. It's a tough one.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 28 Nov 2012, 3:55 pm

Duty281 wrote:Biggest talking points are Swann to miss all the limited overs games, while Pietersen and Finn will miss the T20s. Is it simply rotation, or have they been dropped?

Rotation/rest I would think!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 28 Nov 2012, 4:55 pm

Duty281 wrote:Biggest talking points are Swann to miss all the limited overs games, while Pietersen and Finn will miss the T20s. Is it simply rotation, or have they been dropped?

Rotation to give others a chance Id assume

Its clear England have heriachy in how seriously they take each format

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 5:42 pm

Part of a rest policy. Although they won't say so now I expect Swann's elbow to mysteriously flare up some time after the 4th Test, resulting in him missing NZ as well as the Indian one-day games. This could allow an operation if necessary, or at least a recovery period.

The KP rest is a little mischievous - if you asked him when he wants his rest this winter I'm pretty certain he'd say the NZ one-dayers. But rightly its the ECB and not him who choose when he rests, and they've gone with the India T20s.

Prior is also an interesting issue. Despite his past issues in one-day cricket, I think its pretty difficult to dispute that he's a better batsman than Kieswetter. However, I suspect the ECB recognise that the strains of keeping mean that if he did play one-day cricket he'd need regular rests anyway: leaving him out of the one-day setup completely therefore suits them in some ways, keeping him fresh for the Tests.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:22 pm

Hopefully Bairstow will do well in the T20's as keeper and will get a proper chance in the near future in the One-dayers. If we can't have Prior in the shorter forms of the game then I feel that Bairstow may be the best long term bet. To be honest I have just got so fed up with Kiewswetter's regular dodgy performances.

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down