The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What skills do Centre's need?

5 posters

Go down

What skills do Centre's need? Empty What skills do Centre's need?

Post by wasps Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:09 pm

While reading the post about 'Who will partner Tuilagi' in Englands midfield, I started wondering what different skills are required from an IC and an OC.

I think the required skills have changed over time.
When I was playing, I was always told that your Inside Centre should be the best tackler in your back line.
I assumed that this was to protect the 10/12 channel, and allow the OC to be more of an elusive runner type.

However, I don't feel that is necessarily the main pre-requisite these days.
Generally, Fly Halves are better tacklers than they were 10-20 years ago.
Guys like Wilko and Carter will tackle all day long if necessary, and there are a number of other international 10's like that
As such, the Inside Centre no longer has to defend the 10/12 channel on his own.

Personally, I think I want my 12 to be a man to straighten the attack.
I want him to have vision and the ability to bring the rest of the back line into the game with good passing.
However, it is crucial that he has a strong running game.
The threat of having a 12 that can cross the gain line, and break tackles will stop the opposition defence drifting out side to cover the OC and Wings.
Unfortunately, in England, there is a bit of a dearth of clever inside centres with both a strong passing and running game.

The main thought on the 'who will partner Tuilagi' thread is that Billy Twelvetrees is the obvious man to fill that role.
From what I've seen of him, he definitely has the ability to run straight and powerfully, his fly half skills should also mean that he has vision and quality passing.
Anthony Allen is also mentioned, and that would make sense if Manu is to be the 13 based on their club partnership and knowledge.
Are there really no others?

Presumably, the outside centre is meant to be the more 'silky' runner, the natural finisher, and the ability to run good lines off of the 12.
I'd want them to have a reasonable passing game to bring the wing / full back in when necessary.
However, I'd also like think that the 12 will bring the wings in as much as the 13.
Obviously, when a ball has gone through the hands in the back line, the winger is often likely to get isolated if there is a strong defensive line, so it may not be too much of a problem having the 13 keep hold of the ball more....

Are these the main skills required for the centres, or have I got it totally wrong?

wasps

Back to top Go down

What skills do Centre's need? Empty Re: What skills do Centre's need?

Post by Taylorman Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm

Just watch Conrad Smiths matches this year and you'll have your answer.

Youve pretty much got it there, the only thing I would add is the 13 is there to control the space and time- to shut it down on defence, to open it up on attack. Often you'll see Smith come out of nowhere and bring a player down or get in his face because hes already identified when and where the space is likely to open up.

On attack its about looking for where the space is, and getting there quick, either with a run, or by passing to a player directed there.

Thats why Smith is so effective. A lot of what he does isnt obvious and when it happens it surprises everyone bar himself as hes already summed the situation up.

Awareness of that time and space also allows him to break the line, run the right lines etc.

Tuilagi is in a similar mould to Nonu and complements Smith very well so perhaps a Smith type player would be ideal...they're just not a dime a dozen...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm

Hmmm.... so that suggests that Tuilagi isn't really the ideal 13 at all.
Yet anyone who watches Leicester regularly will state that he is a 13 and definitely not a 12.

To me, his skills also seem more suited to what I see as an Inside Centre, but I am happy to accept that he's a 13. (Afterall, the powers that be at Leicester wouldn't play him at 13 if it was at all likely that he was a better 12)

Unforuntately, while watching Conrad Smith will show what an outside centre should be, I can't help thinking that the All Blacks would still be great with Smith at 10, Carter at 13, Nonu at 9, Jane at 15, Dagg at 13 etc
They're all just that good.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:52 pm

Coupla things.
As we appear to be talking about second 5 8ths as well a centre.

When running back into position, never ever turn your back on the ball.

On attack both these players should never become stationery, stay close then move out, thus leaving the opposition markers guessing.. Dont ever let them settle.
Ball distribution skills are paramount in 2nd 5s and centres , they must be able to pass in four or five ways competently with equal strength in passing off either shoulder, swing ,short.snap,long and lob passes.
After every pass you must always back up the pass or leave your outsides with an inside option.
On defence one of the most basic rule is to limit the opportunity for the opposites to get on your outside, Mark up in line with your opposite and then just take one step inside and hold that line as it always puts pressure on the oppositions pass. and it creates a pressure on the opposites to go sideways.

Just a couple of things, without getting too technical.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:57 am

Is Manu playing Centre?

He definitely aint a centre.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Thu 29 Nov 2012, 1:20 am

Good point.....strangest thing is everyone keeps asking who should partner Manu. As an almost ex backrow I want my centers to be direct, tough, almost forwards, One hard as nails and one with the skills of a flyhalf, the pace of a winger and the courage of an england supporter in that little upstairs sports bar near cafe rock in cardiff on match day.
Tuillagi's a battering ram.........there are a few much better centers kicking around right now.

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 29 Nov 2012, 5:08 am

Manus not just a battering ram. Hes an athlete, a natural runner with the ball and a typical pacific Island player. Hes instinct, physical and natural first, structure and strategy second. He may have played his rugby from 13 or so in club rugby in England but he was born with it in Samoa and follows the same line as his brothers.

The usual English back is the opposite- strength, structure and strategy first, athleticism and instinct second, provided it hasnt been coached out of them.

Thats makes Manu more naturally an inside centre in todays game. Its not that the inside centre has to be able to tackle, its where the biggest midfield hits are made in the backs. The 10 is usually covered by the loosies but if the ball gets any further than 10 the inside centre is usually involved in the hit.

His physicality, instinct and speed makes him a natural for the position.

Centre needs more skill, experience and vision. Its the first position to be both exposed to and take advantage of, space. Manu lacks that experience at the moment. On Saturday if hes at Centre he'll be worked over by Nonu and especially Smith because these guys have played every centre combination in the world over and over again, many times.

They have worked out how to cover each of the combinations out there internationally and the variation from side to side is huge. You just cant buy that experience. And this now the most experienced centre pairing weve ever had.

Manu would be better off at inside where he can get involved in the physical stuff and attempt individual breaks and not have to worry about managing the spaceat centre that the ABs will no doubt be trying to dominate.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:53 am

I dunno...don't claim to be an expert on centers, save for running at 'em now and again....but I do feel that sometimes our most potent runners are starved of the ball. For every couple of thundering, exciting runs he makes theres at least one standing up screaming 'ship it out!!!' at the telly moment as he ploughs into the tackle seemingly oblivious to the flyer outside in acres of space. Space that he has created, granted....

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:19 am

Is that any different have a JSD/Tait/JJ/Guscott/rice pudding type at 13 who will try and ghost and jink past them?

Are we now saying that its the 13's job to ship the ball out wide so when the tackle is made the opposition get a lineout?

Id say the main attributes of the position are being able to move the ball forward and tackle both nimble and solid. Of all the backs positions its the one where kicking is least likely to be called on.
A good off loading game is a big plus, but you have to be able to draw and commit defenders for that to really work

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down