The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions?

+10
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
thomh
Mr Taff
bsando
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
mystiroakey
samuraidragon
14 posters

Go down

Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions? Empty Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions?

Post by samuraidragon Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:33 am

Under Gatland, Wales have played the southern hemisphere Big three 21 times and lost 20 times. The last victory was versus Australian in 2008.

Yes, he has taken us to two Grand Slams. But frankly it's hard to give him credit for the first, which happened befoe he had time to get his feet under the desk. The key game was the first , against England at HQ, and the Welsh players backed themselves and flung the ball around in an un-Gatland-like way.

Wales were well worth their 2012 GS, though most of the games were won by small margins. Since then France and England have kicked on, whereas Wales have gone backwards.

Gatland has shown he can win tight games vs. other NH teams, but he has not found a way to beat the big beasts of SH, even when they are vulnerable, and has now racked up losses against Argentina and Samoa.

Discuss.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions? Empty Re: Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions?

Post by mystiroakey Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

What has happened to the welsh. TBH i think he is ok for th lions. But he doesnt seem to be 100~% focused on wales- that would be my concern!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions? Empty Re: Is Gatland the Right Man for the Lions?

Post by LondonTiger Sun 02 Dec 2012, 10:01 am

I am not a fan of a SH coach for the Lions, but we were rather bereft of candidates.

Gatland understands NH rugby and as Forwards coach last time round understands Lions tours. There was no-one else.

Just wish he would shut up with his comments to the press. Whether it is about the merits of Heaslip and Warburton, the lack of merit in Robshaw or spouting on about French based players (again).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 02 Dec 2012, 10:03 am

I think he has an eye for spotting talent and would expect to see a few young guns in the squad.

Its always difficult picking a coach who has such strong connections to one Country as seen before with Henry and SCW.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:45 pm

I still think Andy Robinson was perfect for the Lions job.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:49 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I am not a fan of a SH coach for the Lions, but we were rather bereft of candidates.

Gatland understands NH rugby and as Forwards coach last time round understands Lions tours. There was no-one else.

Just wish he would shut up with his comments to the press. Whether it is about the merits of Heaslip and Warburton, the lack of merit in Robshaw or spouting on about French based players (again).

Why? Rugby needs more characters in the game to give honest opinions. I'm bored of sportsmen in interviews spouting their usual bland rebotic rabble.

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

Because, Mr Taff too many of his comments undermine the team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 02 Dec 2012, 1:19 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Because, Mr Taff too many of his comments undermine the team.

A lot of his comments make no sense and backfire. Does he really think the conditioning of players in France is a problem after the French national team has just thumped australia?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 02 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

I think it's wrong that the Lions coach has ties with any individual teams, I think that they should have gone for a coach who is from one of the four nations and has experience of coaching. The claim we are bereft of coaches is wrong, maybe at international level but at club level there are people like Rob Baxter and Conor O'Shea.

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 02 Dec 2012, 2:57 pm

123456789 wrote:I think it's wrong that the Lions coach has ties with any individual teams, I think that they should have gone for a coach who is from one of the four nations and has experience of coaching. The claim we are bereft of coaches is wrong, maybe at international level but at club level there are people like Rob Baxter and Conor O'Shea.

Hands off

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 02 Dec 2012, 3:07 pm

I'd say the 2008 Grand Slam is why Gatland would be good for the Lions. You have a few weeks to get a team together. That's what the Lions is isn't it? He seems to be slow at changing styles but that won't be an issue unless he tries to get them playing like Wales.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:57 pm

Is Gatland the right man for the Lions?

My only concern is that Gatland may favour certain player/s more on reputation than form.

It does seem that the head coach of one country does seem to favour player/s from that country ( the country the coach) is from. regardless that their are other players playing better rubgy that play for A,N, Other country that do not get picked.

So please no favourtism.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

Lets hope he leaves the big welsh baby that is JAMIE ROBERTS out of the squad,perhaps with Tualagi we,ll have a chance.

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

Is Gatland still the wales coach or is he "taking a break" to concentrate on the Lions??
This is remarkable that Wales would allow this to happen..............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

Rob Howley is the WELSH coach for the 6 nations as Gats has been given time out by WRU to concentrate on LIONS matters(what a joke).

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by sausage1966 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

No. He isn't. But it's too late. They even tried greasing that ladder......

The effect on Wales is two fold. 1. Rob Howler 2. If Gats favours Wales players, history shows it has a profoundly negative impact on the following years six nations.

sausage1966

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

He's ruthless enough....ie dropping warburton after the ARG game.

One thing that worrys me is that the lions coaching staff is becoming a "jobs for the boys" we're all mates nightmare.

Last time it was wasps reborn.

Mcgeechan, gatland, Edwards, Howley. With rowntree the odd one out.

Now gatland will probably choose similar coaches.... Although they're all the same and don't offer much difference between themselves.

Where is the backs coach going to come from... Please not any Farrell.. The guy is as dynamic as gazza is sober.

The last thing we need is another ex league player who has little idea on how to breakdown defences.

AUS can deal with route 1 robotic rugby..., 6 tests in 12 months proves that... It's not luck after 6 tests. They have done so without most of their star players out also.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

fa0019 wrote:He's ruthless enough....ie dropping warburton after the ARG game.

One thing that worrys me is that the lions coaching staff is becoming a "jobs for the boys" we're all mates nightmare.

Now gatland will probably choose similar coaches.... Although they're all the same and don't offer much difference between themselves.

Where is the backs coach going to come from... Please not any Farrell.. The guy is as dynamic as gazza is sober.

The last thing we need is another ex league player who has little idea on how to breakdown defences.

AUS can deal with route 1 robotic rugby..., 6 tests in 12 months proves that... It's not luck after 6 tests. They have done so without most of their star players out also.

Gregor Townsend

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:17 pm

fa0019 wrote:He's ruthless enough....ie dropping warburton after the ARG game.

Warburton wasn't dropped. He was rested. Gatland does exactly the same every year without fail. The 'easy' game is always full of the fringe players. It was even said that the selection was pre-planned. Nothing ruthless in it.

EDIT: In fact not giving the same players the chance to redeem themselves against Samoa showed poor man management in my opinion.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down