The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid...

+8
GunsGerms
Bathman_in_London
rodders
George Carlin
Biltong
Intotouch
BamBam
thebluesmancometh
12 posters

Go down

Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid... Empty Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid...

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:23 pm

I am interviewing with a premiership club soon, and being a welshman I am a tad nervous of the differences between my own coaching techniques, and some of my premiership equivilants.
Don't get me wrong Ive worked with professional rugby clubs/players before, In a number of differing roles but never in England. The English elite coaches I have met have been a varied bunch, from the quiet thinkers to the manic hooligans.

All the elite junior techniques I know are grafted from Welsh and Irish routes, and I was wondering if we had any higher level English coaches around to pick the brain of.

Not that you have to be a high level coach to have an opinion, I would welcome all opinions on certain areas.

Starting with the breakdown (ruck situation)

What does anyone coach for the ball carrier; Pencil/long present, fight the floor, work legs beyond hips, look for offload etc???

Then the tackler; tackle jackel, fight the first supporting player, wrestle into an offside position/role wrong side, or regain to feet and blow beyond possible ruck.???

Then the first supporting player; Focus on tackler, blow beyond ruck, guard the ball, recieve offload???

And lastly first defender; blow through ruck, judo throw, jackel ball???

I know a lot of decisions are dependant on each other, and dependant on player age and level etc, but would love to hear from my English counterparts on their thoughts and ideas as although the way I beleive the game should be played a certain way it's useless if I'm not given the job.

For the record IMHO I like to see the ball carrier look to offload wider out and set the ruck in the tight, first support player either taking the offload or anhialating the biggest threat to the ball from the opposing side.

I don't like the jackel any more, unless teaching younger children to do so, and much prefer the tackler to get to his feet and fight his way through the ruck, unless of course the ball carrier is isolated.

Therefore my first defender in will be the jackler, and should be given significant time to do so by the tackler fighting his way through the ruck.

Any thoughts and opinions?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid... Empty Re: Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid...

Post by BamBam Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

I don't know anything about rugby coaching, but just want to say good luck!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid... Empty Re: Guys, looking for a little help if anyone can aid...

Post by Intotouch Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:14 am

I would ask you to consider this. This club have seen your cv. They know your experience and history. If they want an English/ other coaching style why would they interview a Welsh coach with your particular experience?

Your questions on the breakdown are puzzling as you write below them exactly what you like to coach and why and are clear in your reasoning. What do you need a different opinion for? You know clearly what your doing, what works and why.

Should I give you my approach, which may be completely different, what would you do with that? Suggest it in an interview without having worked with it? How would you respond to questions around how this worked in practice? You will probably get a wide variety of opinion on how to attack or defend the breakdown but what would be the point in that? You have tactics that you have found effective and have put into practice and that you have faith in. Believe in them until proved wrong. Have faith in what you know works. It is up to them/ others to try to shake your faith in your tactics, don't do it to yourself!

These people know your background is different and are probably hoping that you will bring different practices and insight to their club. This difference is an advantage to you. Some of those new practices will be very effective in a new context, others won't be. They'll expect that too. Also everyone else going into the interview will be working in a different set up or with different people than they''re used to.

Sorry if this response isn't what you were looking for. Good luck with the interview.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 04 Dec 2012, 10:10 am

Touch

I had never considered that, the fact that I was welsh was discussed on the phone jokingly so maybe part of the reason I was selected for interview was because I could bring a differing slant on things. Very wise mate cheers OK

bam

Thanks for the support, I have just found an email and seen the list of selected candidates... OMG I recognise 2 of the names.

I'm going to need all the luck I can get!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:07 am

I agree bluesman. Every coach has his own unique method of how he adapts coaching methods to his conviction.

Make it your own. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:00 am

Bluesman - it's your own personality and ability to work with the players that will get you this job. Or to put it another way, I know a lot of coaches and none of them ever failed to get a job because of a different coaching or strategic belief.

You'll be grand. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:14 am

Bluesman if your waffle on here is anything to go by then you know your stuff so should have no problems... thumbsup

Besides have you ever watched the AP?.... those guys know flip all about breakdown play... Wink ......

Good luck ..... Run

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:45 pm

Laugh Cheers guys, talk about waffle though I have to tone it down for the interview, I went a little overboard when interviewing for the RFU a few weeks ago, really told them all they needed to know about the WRU (and then some) didn't do myself any favours I think!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:36 pm

If you were interviewing for the RFU I hope you didnt suggest anything new or likely to change the current system?! The old boys wouldnt like that!

Good luck, as others have said, don't try and change your ideas now, just be confident about them!

We will all look forward to free tickets when the job comes your way! Wink

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

Good luck. Never knew you were a coach. Would be a great job. What role are you interviewing for?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

Bathman

The RFU interview was week before last, went ok if a little uninspiring from my side, waiting to hear back, this one is for a prem club specifically.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:17 pm

Well good luck then, fingers crossed.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 10 Dec 2012, 5:52 pm

Just got back from the interview, it went well, very good session, fluid and very effective.

The interview itself was ok too, good all round.

1 worrying sign though was 1 candidate being very strong, very local, teach's the interviewers child, and came through the particular junior system with a number of current professionals.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I took it on board and my session was based around my vision of the breakdown and IMHO was pretty good. OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:02 am

BluesMan - there's a coaching job in Edinburgh just opened up if you're interested.

Fancy it? Players aren't very talented but you get to live in a nice brownstone in the Old Town.

All enquiries to: Mark.Dodson@nextgluttonforpunishment.sru.com
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:41 pm

hahahahahahahahaha

I'm not that good!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:02 am

Bluesman, I trust when you are sucessful the forum is on an invite to your debut game Very Happy guinness Fingers Crossed

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

How'd it go?

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 08 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm

Ah all went well until yesterday when I was informed I didn't get it...

Gutted

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 08 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

Awh that's a shame Bluesman...but at least you gave it a go...it's all experience for you...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

Not really that shocked, considering who I interviewed against, lets just say they were wearing a Tigers belt and tie... sigh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:44 am

Unlucky blues Crying or Very sad - keep at it mate.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 Jan 2013, 9:10 am

Hug guinness OK
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 09 Jan 2013, 9:32 am

Bad luck matey. You didn't want to work for them anyway!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down