The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen

+3
I AM AWESOME
socal1976
legendkillar
7 posters

Go down

The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen Empty The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen

Post by legendkillar Sun 24 Apr 2011, 12:39 pm

I was wondering what you guys felt were the best 3 matches you have seen in your lifetime. It has to be matches you have seen in your lifetime from start to end. My top 3 are:

1. Rafael Nadal v Roger Federer Wimbledon Final 2008. This match was just amazing. Federer was aiming for a record breaking 6th consecutive Wimbledon title. Rafa after being 2 sets up looked like he was going to win in 3. Roger just couldn't break the Nadal serve at all and the fact he managed to win the 3rd and 4th set through tie-breaks showed that Roger could handle the importance of the occassion and took the match to an epic 5th set decider. The match points that Federer saved were just unbelivable. Just the best match I have ever seen. Rafa won 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-7 9-7 to secure his 1st Wimbledon title.

2. Andre Agassi v James Blake US Open Quarter Final 2005. For me this match was special. Agassi was playing some phenomenal tennis and had played a previous 5 setter against Xavier Malisse in the 4th round. I felt that Agassi was going to retire after the tournament and so wanted him to win the title and ride out into the sunset on a high. I remember staying up through the night watching this match and the night matches at the US Open just look breath-taking. Agassi was 2 sets down and I felt emotional as I felt he was going out. Agassi fought back to win in 5. The effort both players put in was immense and the atmosphere was electric and stunning. Agassi won 3-6 3-6 6-3 6-3 7-6. Agassi played another 5 setter in the semi-final against Robby Ginepri and came through to progress into the final. Agassi later lost in the final to Roger Federer.

3. Rafael Nadal v Andy Murray World Tours Finals Semi Final 2010. When these 2 play Murray seems to up his game to another level based on previous meetings. They have played some pretty close and intense matches in the past thinking back to the Australian Open in 2007 which went to 5 sets and the US Open meeting which was a demanding 4 setter. Murray wasn't playing that well in the group stages and made it through to semi's and just recently their meeting at Monte Carlo. I expected Rafa to win in 2 and this is the best 3 set match I have seen. Both players were playing superb tennis and both were not letting up at all. Murray lead in the final set tie break and unfortunately went on to lose it and the match with it. Nadal won 7-6 3-6 7-6. Nadal would lose to Federer in the final.

I wonder what matches you guys will pick.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen Empty Re: The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen

Post by socal1976 Sun 24 Apr 2011, 2:49 pm

1. Connors and Mac 1983 US open final. The first match I truely remember but I was six years old so it is foggy. But what I do remember is how it went 5 sets, and how both guys just went at each other emotional. And the crowd was so fired up you couldn't believe. Can't remember the scoreline but I just remember that was the day I fell in love with the game. Plus it was my favorite player's (jimmy) last slam.

2. Fed-Nadal 08 wimby: Great match only marred by the lengthy rain delays that made last so long. But it truely was an amazing affair. The tension from start to finish, the quality of the offense and the defense. You could see that two great legends at the height of their athletic talents were squaring off with another. And it really represented a changing of the guard.

3. Nadal-Djoko 09 Madrid Semis: The longest and most gruelling 3 set match in history. Two young athletes in their physical peaks pushing each other. Novak had match points but just couldn't do in the king of clay. To think that a three set match would go over 4 hours. And the quality of the groundstroke exchanges were amazing.

Last edited by socal1976 on Mon 25 Apr 2011, 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen Empty Re: The Best 3 Tennis Matches You Have Seen

Post by I AM AWESOME Sun 24 Apr 2011, 6:43 pm

Murray vs Nadal, really?

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 24 Apr 2011, 7:41 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:Murray vs Nadal, really?

Well yes and that is my opinion.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

There are so many but most recent Murray v Nadal WTF 2010 (agree with legendkillar)

Last five years or so would be Federer v Nadal (Slams)- but now I think Djokovic (if he can maintain form, fitness etc.) will probably take over from Roger especially in the Slams.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Fri 29 Apr 2011, 2:38 am

Fed vs Nadal Wimby 2008

Nadal vs Verdasco AO 2009

Dent vs Navarro USO 2009
For those of you that don't recall it, here is the 5th set tie break and most of the match was like this:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQKIO8wFhU

erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 29 Apr 2011, 6:15 am

Yes the Nadal Verdasco semi was better and much more exciting than the final. The longest match Isner-Mahut has to get some sort of honorable mention for going 70-68 in the final set.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sat 30 Apr 2011, 2:25 am

legendkillar wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:Murray vs Nadal, really?

Well yes and that is my opinion.

The ATP Staff chose it as the best match of 2010:- http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/12/Other/Best-Matches-Of-The-Year.aspx
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by graf_the_greatest Sat 30 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

[b]
Men:
1: Nadal v Federer Wim 2008 Final
2: Ivanesevic v Rafter Wim 2001 Final
3: Nadal v Federer Aus Open 2009 Final

Women:
1: Seles v Graf Roland Garros 1992 Final
2: Graf v Sanchez-Vicario Roland Garros 1996 Final
3: Capriati v Clijsters Roland Garros 2001 Final

The 1993 Wim Final between Graf & Novotna, the 1991 Wim Final between Graf & Sabatini and the 1999 RG Final between Graf & Hingis are also up there. Oh and the 1993 AO Final Graf v Seles were also corkers.

The 2005 Davenport-Venus Wim Final was also a great match.

Since then not many exciting women's matches. The men seem to be providing all the close, dramatic and exciting matches. I think it's down to rivalries being built up & the cornerstone of rivalries is consistency.

The top women don't appear to have that consistency anymore & defensive, boring Wozniacki is hardly setting my world alight.

Still, at least we have Nadal-Djoko-Federer-Murray to keep us entertained. Plus the likes of Soderling, Del Potro, Berdych, Raonic & Harrison in the mix.

Hopefully, this year's GS will provide us with more great matches.

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 2:22 pm

Surely Isner vs Mahut at wimbeldon is worth a shout?
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat 30 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

MR. scotland27 wrote:Surely Isner vs Mahut at wimbeldon is worth a shout?

Hi,

I am talking about seeing a match from start to finish. If anyone did see the Isner v Mahut match from start to finish deserves much credit. I never watched that match from start to finish so I can't put that match in my top 3.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 3:39 pm

ohh right sorry LK, then it would be rafa vs federer at wimbeldon 2009 when it was affected by rain.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 3:45 pm

I also have to say that Fed Nadal in Rome 2007 was pretty phenomenal. Fed had match points against Rafa in a five setter on clay the match going 5 hours and 15 minutes. Probably, as good a match as the 08 wimby final, but it just gets less respect because it wasn't a grandslam.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down