The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer to Trainer

+7
Valero's Conscience
Lumbering_Jack
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
Rowley
TopHat24/7
taguey
11 posters

Go down

Boxer to Trainer Empty Boxer to Trainer

Post by taguey Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:02 pm

Hi All, just thinking of who out of the current crop of boxers do you think could (but not necessarily will want to) become a TOP class trainer?

Personally, I think it could be someone like Wlad. Aware of his own weaknesses, great at maximising his strengths. Comes across as articulate and knowledgeable, and think he will be able to identify similar in his fighters.

What say you all?

taguey

Back to top Go down

Boxer to Trainer Empty Re: Boxer to Trainer

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

In terms of exceptionally gifted technical boxers (which my head says should make better trainers than blood 'n' guts brawlers) I'd be tempted to say Floyd and Ward, and of the those two, probably Ward.

With PBF I think a combination of his ego and the fact he is so exceptionally talented that he may struggle to impart knowledge on those less brilliantly gifted, means he may have less success.

Ward is really starting to look like a complete package and, SOG rubbish aside, is fairly humble and I get the impression genuinely loves the sport.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

I would be tempted to lean away from the likes of Floyd or Ward as when you look through boxing history there are very, very few truly great fighters who have gone on to be great trainers, outside of Jack Blackburn I’d struggle to name too many who have pulled it off. Have read before a lot of greats find it hard to train folk of lesser ability as they can’t adjust to the idea that people cannot do things that come as second nature to themselves, have certainly heard this said of Sugar Ray Leonard’s flirtations with training.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by taguey Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm

Completely agree with the point about greats being unable to understand how other people cannot do things that come naturally to them. Believe this is prevalent across a lot of sports, football being a prime example.

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

Rowley wrote:I would be tempted to lean away from the likes of Floyd or Ward as when you look through boxing history there are very, very few truly great fighters who have gone on to be great trainers, outside of Jack Blackburn I’d struggle to name too many who have pulled it off. Have read before a lot of greats find it hard to train folk of lesser ability as they can’t adjust to the idea that people cannot do things that come as second nature to themselves, have certainly heard this said of Sugar Ray Leonard’s flirtations with training.

This was what I was alluding to with Floyd. It was said similarly of Glen Hoddle when coaching Tottenham, he struggled because his players just couldn't do what he could. "Just pick up the ball here, and kick it 50 yrds crossfield to him", "Um, none of us can actually do that, boss".

Which makes tag's question even more of a poser.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

Well as others have mentioned, if history's anything to go by, today's superstars such as Wlad, Floyd, Ward, Donaire, Pacquiao etc would struggle to train one world champion between them!

Jack Blackburn, Sandy Saddler, Buddy McGirt...There are a few, but ultimately top class fighters who go on to become top class trainers are few and far between.

I think the general consensus that you'd need to be looking at a technician and pure boxer rather than a slugger or face first brawler carries plenty of truth, however.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:00 pm

Way out of left-field, but how about Audley Harrison?

Good technical skills, amateur pedigree and big talker needed for promo work. He never had the heart for the pro-game really, but does that stop him becoming a decent trainer?

What about Ricky Burns as a solid technical boxer with admirable attributes regarding training and dedication etc?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:14 pm

I think Bhop would make a good trainer. For me he's one of the greats that didn't have god given greatness so to speak like PBF, RJJ, Tyson or Toney maybe. A fighter that did it the hard way, he didn't have exceptional speed, power or reflexes like the others but trained long & hard, always in fantastic shape, worked out a game plan, found a way to win & in later years was able to adapt his style more suited to his age etc. A tough disceplined guy with great knowledge of the sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:20 pm

Malignaggi would be a good trainer

He seems to have a real knowledge of the game and while he isn't as gifted as a Mayweather or Ward but through his lack of power he learnt the art of boxing and hit and not be hit so will at least be able to teach defense to an novice

Mikey Garica seems well schooled and has a world class trainer or a brother in Robert Garcia so he might go down that route

Not the most common thing but it does happen, especially if they have a Son who they want to be a boxer and follow in there footsteps

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

It’s not a bad shout soho, the only issue I could see with BHop is if he could be forgiving or understanding of a guy who lacked his level of commitment or discipline, which lets face facts is nearly every fighter and person ever born. Bhop does not strike me as a guy who will turn a blind eye to someone who he feels is coming up short. Agree re the ability thing but I do fear it would be a fairly limited band of fighters who would be able to tolerate the regime Hopkins would demand of them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:32 pm

Rowley wrote:It’s not a bad shout soho, the only issue I could see with BHop is if he could be forgiving or understanding of a guy who lacked his level of commitment or discipline, which lets face facts is nearly every fighter and person ever born. Bhop does not strike me as a guy who will turn a blind eye to someone who he feels is coming up short. Agree re the ability thing but I do fear it would be a fairly limited band of fighters who would be able to tolerate the regime Hopkins would demand of them.

Forgiving & understanding are probably two words lacking in his vocabulary in this respect and the only blind eye he'd be turning would be the one he'd given you, physically!

I agree it probably would be a fairly limited band of fighters that could hack it with Bhop which is a real pity as he really is a shinning example of an athlete in the modern day, hard work breeds success.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:37 pm

Whilst Hoppo may not have the reflexes of jones he is still terrifically talented. He doesn't dazzle with his combinations but the ability to fight the way he does still requires a huge amount of talent.

I do agree though, he would make an excellent trainer.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:04 pm

I know where your coming from LJ, for me its that nature or nurture question & for me Bhop is of the latter, hard work, dedication, discipline, determination, a good boxing brain, studying his opponent & being able to find a way to win coupled with a great team around him. i think the fact that he hasn't cruised through his career like PBF & RJJ have to an extent is why I think he'd be decent. Nobody on here really questions his opponents like they have with the aforementioned or Manny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:32 pm

I agree with B-Hop and Ward.

I don't think mayweather would have the dedication to put in the work for others to succeed as he loves himself more than anything else.

I thin JMM would be good as he appears very knowledgable and also seems a calm,clever guy who would be a calming influence on young guys coming through.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by guard_up Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:47 pm

Tim Bradley is worth a shout.

Strikes me as a guy who understands that dedication gets results without the moodiness of Hopkins. Seems to fight to a game plan with a calm head, would give measured advice in a corner.

guard_up

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

Froch talks a good game, is articulate and has been in with the best. He has gone a lot further than a lot of people had expected of him and has seen the good as well as the bad sides of boxing throughout his career. Technically lacking a little maybe but I think where he might lack that ability himself there is no reason with his knowledge and experience he couldn't work with a boxer who has it. Reckon Macklin knows his stuff too, could well be one to watch.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

guard_up wrote:Tim Bradley is worth a shout.

Strikes me as a guy who understands that dedication gets results without the moodiness of Hopkins. Seems to fight to a game plan with a calm head, would give measured advice in a corner.

I think Bradley would be a great motivator and fitness coach, but his style seems based around speed and engine, which not everybody he trains would have.

I don't know anything about his personality, but what about Guillermo Rigondeuax? He's clearly extremely well schooled and knows exactly how to move and which shots to throw at the right time.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:17 pm

Roy Jones Junior.

I know perhaps a lot of you will say, "Oh the god given talent, blah, blah, blah" sort of stuff

BUT

Everytime, I hear him talking, he undertsands very clearly people's limitations and great insight onto the particular styles that people have, and what to do to counteract it.

Think he'd be pretty good anyway...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down