The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won?

+12
supremeskills
two_tone
Lumbering_Jack
Steffan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
milkyboy
88Chris05
lfc91
Fists of Fury
bellchees
ShahenshahG
Valero's Conscience
16 posters

Go down

Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won? Empty Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:12 am

This is a fight I have been meaning to watch in full for years but never got round to it.

Many call it for Castillo and the punch stats support him, albeit I know they can be deceiving and they need to be looked on a round-by-round basis.

For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts:

1- Castillo was robbed
2- Mayweather won deservedly
3- Mayweather won a fight that could of gone either way, close but no robbery

I have some time off over Xmas so will definately watch it then.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won? Empty Re: Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won?

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:19 am

How about a round by round analysis - watch a round then we discuss who won it - if theres a dispute we watch it again and consider each others points then move onto the next one.- if its unanimous then we move onto the next one. That way you dont need half hour or so - just about 5-8 minutes each round.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won? Empty Re: Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Who Won?

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

Sounds good, i'll post once watched in the next 2 weeks.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:22 am

Not seen it for ages but I remember thinking Castillo won by 1 or 2 rounds just on work rate while Floyd did nothing really.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

I think Castillo just edged it.

Happy to rewatch it as I haven't seen it for a year or two, but I think Floyd got lucky with that one.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

Another question relating to it, how much different do you think his career would have been had he lost that night? For example would he have fought pac, did protecting his '0' have a big impact on his career choices??

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:28 pm

Like Fists and Bellchees, I've not seen that fight in ages, but just like them I do remember that I thought Castillo had won it by a small margin. It was close enough that, had it been scored a draw, Mayweather could still have easily escaped without any real scrutiny being cast over him, but the fact that he took the win outright seemed a little fortuitous from what I remember of that bout.

Definitely the nerviest moment of Floyds winning run so far, along with those two right hands which had him in a world of trouble in the second round against Mosley!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm

I guess the follow up question is, was the performance down to a shoulder injury, or was it just a handy (can a shoulder be handy?) excuse. The 2nd fight and stats suggest one thing, but different time different place etc. what's the consensus?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm

Can't remember how I scored it as it was a long time ago but I think I gave it a draw or Castillo by a point but can't remember, I think I called it a draw but was perhaps being harsh on Castillo

Shoulder injury? Maybe made it more of an impact on a fighter like floyd who uses his shoulder more than anyone else to block and slip punches but its always a bit soft to blame an injury as fighters get injured all the time in camp and in the ring

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm

lfc91 wrote:Another question relating to it, how much different do you think his career would have been had he lost that night? For example would he have fought pac, did protecting his '0' have a big impact on his career choices??

It's an interesting point, lfc91.

I definitely think that the '0' will often make a fighter a little more cautious in their match-making, particularly once the finishing line for their career is on the horizon. When Mayweather returned from his 'retirement' in 2009, he was quick to point out that he simply had to return back to the top of all pound for pound lists as nobody had ever beaten him, and that's not to mention the multitude of times we heard him say, "Has Pacquiao had three losses and two draws? Now, who has beaten me?" between 2009 and 2011 when, time and time again, he distanced himself from the possibility of facing him.

Suffice to say, the '0' is pretty important to Floyd and his ego, I think.

Every reason to think that losing it earlier in his career may just have made him a little keener to face a 2005 Tszyu, a 2007 / 2008 Cotto or a 2010 Pacquiao. Don't get me wrong - Mayweather's opponents have been impressive in the past few years. Just a little more selective than when he was fighting his way up the pound for pound lists between 1998 and 2005.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

I dont care what them judges say...Castillo was the man who won this fight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

Castillo for me to. Close fight but I can't really make an argument for Floyd winning. Draw at best.

With the loss I think Floyd doesn't cherry pick to the extent he did, and we see some better match ups, including him vs Manny.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:34 pm

It's all if's and but's, but if he didn't have his unbeaten record he may gone into retirement (choose which retirement as he's had enough of them) for good because when he comes back he says that he's still waiting for someone to get his "0" which obviously wouldn't happen if he didn't have an "0" for someone to take

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 18 Dec 2012, 1:46 pm

Yes i tend to agree that his choices have been a lot more carefully made due to protecting the '0'.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 18 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

Big fan of Mayweather and have been for years but I have wondered whether this loss (had it been officially a loss) might have had a even better impact on his career than keeping the '0'. With the loss, his matchmaking may well have been even harder and ironically improved his legacy in the long run. That question mark of Pacquiao would have been answered as he would have had less to lose and he would have had his number anytime they fought, wasted opportunity.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by supremeskills Tue 18 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm

floyd gave him a rematch,he didnt have to.
this is what proves he's not a ducker.if he was,he wouldnt have given castillo a rematch,considering how close the first fight was.
and floyd hasnt cherry picked,he's beaten top p4p boxers and world champs to get to where he is.and he has fought against boxers with different styles,boxers who are bigger than him and stronger.

supremeskills

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 18 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm

I thought Castillo won by a couple of rounds, outworked Floyd and deserved the win.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:29 am

After a hectic night I had a spare hour to myself and, inspired by this article, decided to have another look at his fight.

It's amazing how you can have certain memories of a fight, and then return to it a few years later with a slightly different take on it. After a second viewing, there's not been a massive shift from what I wrote above, but a small one all the same.

Having watched it tonight, I had the fight a draw at 113-113. Without question, however, this was a difficult fight to score. I tend to find it difficult to score against Mayweather as his punching is so clean and his work so accurate - however, I do think he had a bit of an off night here (not to take anything away from what was a superb effort by Castillo, mind you). He made the Mexican miss for a pastime but, all too often, failed to make him pay, allowing himself to be outworked in rounds where he should have had the upper hand. In fairness, I think Floyd was probably surprised at how alert Castillo was, and how quickly he was closing distance, too - he was like Chavez in this fight, never letting Floyd settle, closing him down instantly, often getting on Floyd's right side to negate that left hook which, after proving a big factor early on, was phased out of the fight as it progressed.

And then, of course, there were the point deductions for each man, both of which came in rounds that they'd otherwise have won, in my eyes.

So after all that, I had the first five rounds all to Mayweather, with the sixth, seventh, ninth, eleventh and twelfth going to Castillo. Due to the points taken off, the eighth (otherwise Castillo's) and tenth (otherwise Mayweather's) were even on my card, so 113-113 was my final reckoning. Mind you, some rounds were royal pains in the backside to score, the fourth and eleventh in particular.

So it appears I need to row back on my initial take that Castillo had edged it by a point or two and that a draw, while justifiable, may have favoured Mayweather more. In fact, I now think that a draw may have been the most justifiable result of the lot after all.

Given the amount of very close rounds, I'd put it in that bracket of fights whereby anyone who scored it within a point or two either way (but no more) is "right" so to speak. Floyd's win in itself wasn't an injustice, in my opinion, although the relatively wide scores that came with it were.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 19 Dec 2012, 12:33 am

This is a pretty good idea,

Go through controversial decisions and score them again and discuss OUR scores.

Out of boredom, I rewatched the fight and scored it as I would on my first view. I typed up the punches as I saw them and scored the round before being influenced by HBO.

Everyone is entitled and welcomed to tear my analysis apart and question it - the more I think about the rounds, the more I can see how certain rounds could have been scored either way. With the fairly effective aggression coming from Castillo from the 2nd round onwards to the slightly cleaner work to Floyd in the earlier rounds.

I won't argue anyone who doesn't agree with how I had the rounds, as they were VERY close to call.

That said, I scored them as I saw them at the end of that round, I haven't been back through the fight.

Here's my analysis (a little ragged) and score:

Round 1:

Mayweather: good double jabs, on the front foot, left hooks connect - jabs to the body. Mayweather establishes the jab. Floyd lands a good solid straight right.

Castillo: has success with the counter jab twice. Misses with the left uppercut. Cuts off the ring well, but unable to land fluidly.

Pace controlled by Mayweather in the first round, boxing from the outside. Not alot landed by Castillo.

MAYWEATHER ROUND.

Round 2:

Mayweather: lands straight right, slips - no knockdown. Jabs to the body - Mayweather has success with a right counter near the end of the round, lands two shots in the last 20 seconds.

Castillo: landing with the jabs , clash of heads. Castillo having more success landing the right straight twice. Castillo more agressive with more success.

Pace controlled by Castillo landing 2 solid straight rights, but Mayweather was able to counter during exchanges. Closer round to score, but Mayweather round due to cleaner punches and jabs to the body.

MAYWEATHER ROUND. (Could have gone either way).

Round 3:

Mayweather: consistant with the jab, moves away from power shots in the first minute. Jabs to the body from Mayweather, counter jab, straight right

Castillo: missing with combos, uppercut lands, jab cross lands when Mayweather is against the ropes.

Pace controlled by Castillo, finding it easier to get Mayweather to the ropes, lands a nice 1-2 combo. Mayweather still consistant with jabs, cleaner shots from Mayweather still.

MAYWEATHER ROUND.

Round 4:

Mayweather: lands straight right, left hook lands, switch southpaw - right uppercut lands

Castillo: having success with cutting off the ring. Body shots land on the inside, Left uppercut lands.

Pace still controlled by Castillo, turning fight a little messier, not as affective in punches but getting to Mayweather through workrate. Mayweather with cleaner boxing and punches landed.

MAYWEATHER ROUND.

Round 5:

Mayweather: Straight right lands, left uppercut from southpaw, left hook. Consistant jabs but most are taken on the gloves of Castillo.

Castillo: Solid jab lands, right hook miss. Left hook connects.Looping left hook misses. Jab-right body hook. 2x right hook to the body. Counter hook lands, straight right lands.

Pace controlled by Castillo, at this point Floyd is looking a little more negative. Castillo lands more frequently, most telling shots are the right hooks to the body. Agressive in the last 20 seconds and lands a couple of shots on the inside.

CASTILLO ROUND.

Round 6:

Mayweather: Double jabs, jab-left hook combos.

Castillo: Missing with counters. Has more success against the ropes, lands good clean shots to the body and straight right landing. Double jab forcing Mayweather back.

Mayweather controls the first half with lateral movement and trying to hold the centre of the ring, Castillo turns fight when he pushes Floyd back. Castillo has more success to the body - Floyd looking more negative, holding and circling away quickly. Mayweather not landing as many clean punches.

CASTILLO ROUND.

Round 7:

Mayweather: Floyd trading more with Castillo, at the beginning. Right hook lands.

Castillo: Left hook lands, straight right lands. Continual shots to the body. Left hook lands then combinations thrown when Floyd is against the ropes, 3 clean shots connect.

Mayweather again loses control of the pace and ring after the first minute, Castillo is not landing consistantly clean punches but is landing more power shots compared to Floyd. Definately wins the round.

CASTILLO ROUND.

Round 8:

Mayweather: Mayweather pawing with the left hand. Left hook used, jabs connect along with a good counter jab. Attempts straight right, just misses. Defending with the jab.

Castillo: Double left hook to the body to start the round. Right straight to the body. Turning fight into a dog-fight, landing shots to the body when Floyd holds.

One of those annoying rounds, but gave it to Mayweather. Castillo is still successful in forcing Mayweather back to the ropes, but isn't landing telling punches until Floyd is wrapped up with Castillo. Floyd boxes behind the jab and connects more frequently.

MAYWEATHER ROUND + DEDUCTION OF ONE POINT TO CASTILLO

Round 9:

Mayweather: Left hooks attempted. Jab on the inside but cant land further hooks. 1-2 connect.

Castillo: Looks a agressive but ragged. Body shots land. Forces Floyd back with straight rights, 2 connect. Castillo attempts uppercuts.

Both trading at the beginning, Floyd has better of Castillo with a right counter. Castillo is more effective with aggression, landing in exchanges. Mayweather unable to land cleanly with the left hook.

CASTILLO ROUND.

Round 10.

Mayweather: Double jabs and right hooks+ straights landing. Mayweather having more success in range finding openings for the left hooks.
Castillo: Straight right lands but countered. Mssing with uppercuts but lands to the body.

Mayweather has success in the beginning of the round and is landing more regularly. Castillo not as able to push Mayweather back until the end of the round. Castillo frustrated and punches Mayweather from behind. Castillo has success in the last minute, but Mayweather wins the first two minutes.

MAYWEATHER ROUND BUT POINT DEDUCTION FOR PUSHING.

Round 11:

Mayweather: Mayweather landed 1 on the inside. Jab cross lands, double jab lands. Mayweather pot shots an uppercut and a flurry inside. Tripple left hook lands, counter left hook lands to the body. Uppercut lands to the head.

Castillo: Uppercut to the head and body at beginning of the round. Castillo punching clean shots on the inside to the body, uppercuts to the head. More body shots. Flurry thrown at the end of the round, uppercut lands.

Another close round that could go either way. Both stood and traded but based on the "initial" viewing I gave it, I scored it to Floyd as the cleaner flurrys landed in combination. Castillo was able to land single punches to the head and had success to the body though.

MAYWEATHER ROUND.

Round 12:

Mayweather: Floyd a little less aggressive, missing with jabs. Left hook lands. Counter uppercut and double jab land.
Castillo: Both land jabs, missed with left uppercut. Two body shots land. Castillo throws combos when Floyd is on the ropes but don't land clean.

Castillo wins on aggression - wasnt able to land effective punches on Mayweather, but stopped him from throwing anything back.

CASTILLO ROUND.

SCHOOL PROJECT SCORE:

114 - 112 MAYWEATHER.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 19 Dec 2012, 8:08 am

Cheers Chris and S. Project.

I'll definately watch it in the next 1-2 weeks and post my thoughts.

The fight could be Haler vs Leonard but may cause an almightly row! Very Happy

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 19 Dec 2012, 8:17 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:Cheers Chris and S. Project.

I'll definately watch it in the next 1-2 weeks and post my thoughts.

The fight could be Haler vs Leonard but may cause an almightly row! Very Happy

You're Welcome V.C.

I enjoy doing scorecards as it truely shows how tough it is to score fights now and again. It also shows how influenced the judges can be to the crowd!

I'd be up for going through more fights... We could set up a "V2 Revisited" log. Fights that were controversial - review them and give our scorecards with justification etc. (obviously it wouldn't be as boring as it sounds).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 19 Dec 2012, 8:52 am

Bloody hell SP!!

I haven't seen the fight for around a year when I was rewatching Floyd's whole career but distinctly rememebr scoring it 114-112 to Floyd. Can't really complain though

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:02 am

Just watched it again and gave it 114-112 Floyd giving floyd the round where he lost a point meaning that Castillo could have easily had a 2 point swing to be a draw

First thing I noticed is how much bigger Castillo looked, he had a 10lb weight advantage and looked it

Hard to score and I wish the commentators stopped quoting compubox as its inaccurate and doesn't prove who wins

I think the left shoulder did affect him as he was switching southpaw alot (from the second round) and neglected his jab, which is his best weapon and sets everything up for him offensively

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

Looking at the scorecards alone for both fights, the second fight was actually closer on the cards. But i assume(i havent seen either fight by the way) that it was actually a clearer and more conclusive win for floyd?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:19 am

I often find with fights that you can watch them several times and come up with a different score each time. I would bet that a judge would experience the same kind of thing.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:32 am

manos de piedra wrote:I often find with fights that you can watch them several times and come up with a different score each time. I would bet that a judge would experience the same kind of thing.

Yeah I agree with that hands down... especially where fights could go either way.

It's why I scored it the way I did. Luckily all I remembered from the fight was that it was close so watched it again last night after not seeing it for about 3 or 4 years. Had to make it an initial viewing and score it as it was going along as though I would a live fight. Quickly making notes of the clean punches that I scored.

At least 3 of those rounds were tough to score (with them possible to swing either way) mainly due to the aggression of Castillo and the negativity of Mayweather. The only way I could distinguish was down to cleaner shots (jab and power punches), ability to make opponent miss and the ability to force the opponent to NOT punch. This is where Castillo stole the closer rounds, he was able to STOP Mayweather from throwing anything through sheer aggression alone, even though some punches were a little wide or taken on the glove.

Willie Pep was able to win rounds by throwing as little punches as possible and make the other guy miss, but he had COMPLETE control of that ring. Mayweather was unable to settle down and control the pace or the ring, so this is where he was ineffective in some rounds.

THAT SAID... Watching it live with the buzz and hype, you could easily score a round that you think Castillo is in control to Mayweather and vise-versa...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down