The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fights you really want to see in 2013?

+8
TheMackemMawler
School Project
Valero's Conscience
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Gerry SA
Herman Jaeger
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
12 posters

Go down

Fights you really want to see in 2013? Empty Fights you really want to see in 2013?

Post by hampo17 Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:39 am

This week on the podcast we talked about our top 3 fights we want to see in the next 12 months.

I personally want to see a rematch between Khan and Garcia, Price and Fury finally get in the ring and Frampton vs Quigg.

Who do you want to see?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fights you really want to see in 2013? Empty Re: Fights you really want to see in 2013?

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am

Any of those fights would be great, Macklin/Barker would be one I would like to see also.

Wilder/Mitchell seeing as Mitchell has lost his 0 would be good to gauge Wilder.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Fights you really want to see in 2013? Empty Re: Fights you really want to see in 2013?

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:17 am

Danny Garcia to fight Brandon Rios.

Rios is doing the right thing and calling him out, every boxing fan wants to see it. Let's get it on.

Nonito Donaire to fight Mikey Garcia should the latter deal with Salido, and should Donaire move up having dealt with Rigondeaux and then Mares. Problem is Donaire and Garcia are team mates and Donaire has already ruled out the fight, which would be an enormous shame.

Quigg vs Frampton when they are both ready.

(Wouldn't mind Macklin/Barker either. And Price/Fury. Golovkin/Martinez. Though never seen the former in action.)

Last edited by Herman Jaggery on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25 am

Bam Bam Rios vs Danny Garcia

Matthysse vs Danny Garcia

Unlikely Garcia would want to fight bangers like Brandon or Lucas, he's more interested in fighting old men like Morales and Judah. Either Rios or Matthysse put him to sleep.

Bam Bam vs Alvarado II first fight was a Latino war, a second would be just as good.

Quillin vs Golovkin. Winner could face Sergio, if a rematch with Chavez Jr doesn't happen

Donaire vs Mares

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 am

Rios vs Matthysse

Rios Alvarado lost out to Marquez-Pacquiao IV imo to fight of the year but only due to the knockdowns and ending. Matthysse is the best lightwelterweight in the world atm (excluding Bradley or Marquez who are welter's now) and could possibly be the only person who can beat Rios at his own game. Rios is made of something else, Alvarado hit him with everything but he didn't take a step back. Lucas though will be the heavier handed boxer and has showed that his chin may be able to match Brandon. All out slugfest and everyone will find it entertaining

Broner vs Gambo

Why not, Gamboa is reminiscent of pacquiao imo but with a questionable chin, blistering hand speed, great footwork, punches like a mule and can throw combo's with ease. Broner is the next PPV star of boxing, he has lots of power, great handspeed, good counterpuncher and an ego to match Floyds

Alvarez vs Mayweather

Purely for the buzz that will circle boxing if this fight is made and could well be the passing of the torch. Mayweather's legs looked alot slower vs Cotto which allowed Cotto to get him against the ropes and make it competitive. Cotto outmuscled Floyd, and Alvarez is alot bigger and alot stronger than Cotto. Alvarez isn't a pressure fighter though which means that it won't just be a battle in the ropes but alot of good action in the centre of the ring. Canelo has the whole Mexican nation behind him and is becoming a name in the states, and like DLH just seems to be PPV material. If floyd should win by decision but I wouldn't be surprised if Alvarez beats him

Obviously I would love loads of fight, over here and worldwide but these would be my favourite. Quigg-Frampton and Price-Fury are good fights but they don't need to happen in 2013 as it could happen whenever, whereas I feel these fights I listed wont get much bigger if we give it a couple years (e.g, floyd retires next year, Broner becomes too big for Gamboa, Matthysse or Rios get outboxed/schooled like Abril already did to Broner) as they are all at world level and ranked highly in their respective divisions

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 am

Rios vs Mattyhsse

Cleverley vs anyone top 30

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

I could watch Rios go in with anyone (Rematch with Alvarado is looking more realistic, which is great seeing at the first was my FOTY). But you put him in with Matthysse, Garcia, Khan or even Marquez and you are looking at another FOTY candidate.

Alvarez vs. Kirkland - Although it looks less and less likely Kirkland (whose chin is increasingly questionable) will happen, I still think this is a live wire fight. NEXT BEST OPTION: Alvarez vs Trout - Lets see Canelo fight a fresh boxer puncher.

Macklin/Barker/Lee/Murray - Britain has some great Middleweights who have all impressed at World Level... yet none have ever met in the ring. I can't pick a clear fight but anyone of these guys in against each other would be great to watch.

Groves vs. Abraham - Groves would have beating Steiglitz, I've no doubt about that. As soon as Groves was lined up to fight Johnson (a limited, comeforward boxer who has a knack to bang) it was clear to me this could be a warm up to Abraham. With the Frank Warren/WBO connection Groves has, this should be a sure fire fight.

Broner vs Burns - Burns always surprises me in hs fights, but now is the time to fight Broner. With GBP sorting their UK license out, there's no reason for Broner not to be able to come over.

Cleverly vs Shumenov - I think for the past 2 years I've been screaming for this fight and it hasn't happened. This is an easy way for Clev to look good against another champion (this would actually be the first time in over 3 years he's fought a champion too). There's no excuse for not making the bigger fights now. He's a young champion, GBP like the look of him... even a loss wouldn't be devastating against the likes of Cloud, Dawson or Pascal. But put him in with a solid Light Heavy and we'll see the best of Cleverly.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Seanmichaels vs Adam D
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:12 pm

From a British perspective, Price v Fury, as there just appears to be so hate between the two (kind of like Haye/Chisora) and it would be good to see them slug it out in the ring.

Thinking more on the world stage, A.Broner vs Burns would be a great fight. Two world class fighters in my opinion, with two belts on the line...

Also as some have said, it'll be good to see Saul A come up against better quality opposition as he looks to take steps towards Mayweather hopefully

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Rios vs Matthysse would be brutal. I'd back Matthysse think he whacks a bit harder and is a better boxer than Rios, but boy is he slow which could cost him. Also really want to see someone beat on Rios as he just seems like a real tool and Matthysse hits like a truck so he's my pick to do the business.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:42 pm

I see it going that way

Rios-Alvarado wa brutal and a great fight but despite being the bigger man Alvarado wasn't a big puncher and take out prescott (who was beating him easily) he has no notable knockouts on his record and while Rios was previously at lightweight he was a big puncher there despite being completely drained for each fight so he was the bigger puncher out of the 2 on fight night

Matthysse hits harder than Alvarado and despite not having the same speed he is a much better boxer and would really bring the hurt on Rios who was getting out boxed by Alvarado untill the stoppage

The problem with this fight is they are promoted by TopRank (Rios) and GoldenBoy (Mathysse). I think that GB have the stronger stable of fighters between 135-147 than TopRank which may force Arum to work with them as they have a smaller stable. GB have Broner, Demarco, Soto, Matthysse, Garcia, Peterson, Khan, Alexander, Maidana, Ortiz, Guerrero, Berto and Lopez all of which can have a big 2013 against one another

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 pm

A lot of talent in that GB stable, hard to make bad fights with that lot. Having watched Guerrero vs Berto again last night I'd like to see Guerrero in with Floyd and I think he has most chance of beating him right now with the exception of people who will just have a huge size advantage like Trout, Alvarez or Martinez.

Can't believe Maidana vs Matthysse hasn't been made yet but that is a fight that should happen and would be a great watch.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Haye Vs Price or Fury.

Fury vs Price

Price Vs Chisora

John Lewis Dickinson Vs Afolabi

Froch Vs Groves or Degale

Billy Joe Saunders vs Macklin

jamie cox VS Joe Selkirk

Frankie Gavin Vs Matthew hatton
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Maidana and Matthysse are friends and have boxed eah other 4 times in the amateurs (2-1-1 in favour of Maidana I think) and they have both said that while they will fight each other there has to be good money behind it for them to go at it so we can be optimistic as Matthysse is building a rep in the states and a win over Garcia will give him exposure provided Garcia doesn't keep defending against the likes of Judah and morales

As you said its hard to make a bad fight given the current stable they have and I think that GoldenBoy can have a big year in 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by ManofSteel Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Kal Yafai vs Stuart Hall

Angulo vs Bundrage (Would like to see Angulo get a world title)

Golovkin vs Martinez or Chavez Jnr

David Price vs Povetkin

Rigondeux vs Donaire

JMM vs Khan

Kell Brook vs Robert Guerrero

Leo Santa Cruz vs Jamie McDonell

Gamboa vs Roman Martinez

Hernandez vs Huck

Just a few I wouldn't mind watching.

ManofSteel

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:27 am

Good to see Matthysse calling him out- would be great to find out this year who's boss at light welter, both Matthysse and Rios are eyeing that top spot, let's hope Danny Garcia plays ball. Nobody really wants to see him fight Alexander or Khan when he could fight Matthysse. Or am I mistaken!

http://www.boxingscene.com/matthysse-i-requested-danny-garcia-fight--60864

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:42 am

There are too many to mention, realistically, but to get the ball rolling on the domestic front I'd take Quigg-Frampton over Fury-Price any day of the week. Wouldn't mind seeing Billy Joe Saunders step it up a notch against a Barker or Murray, either; they'd be difficult fights to make but I genuinely think that Saunders isn't far off world title level right now.

Elsewhere....

Macklin versus Geale. I've been hugely impressed with Macklin in all areas in the past couple of years and I'd love him to get his hands on a world title. Geale travels but is beatable, so this could be the perfect opportunity. I have a lot of time for Geale as well, mind you, so everyone's a winner.

Burns against Broner or, more realistically, Vasquez in a unification bout. I think Burns deserves some Stateside exposure after his title exploits at 130 and 135 lb. Broner might be setting the bar a bit too high, but a WBO / IBF showdown with Vasquez - why not? There's certainly no further point in any more defences against the best these shores have to offer because, quite simply, there's nobody left here to push Burns.

Donaire against Mares or Rigondeaux. Super-Bantamweight has been the most stacked division in the past year or so, what better way for Donaire to prove his greatness beyond any doubt whatsoever by clearing it out? If Donaire's career so far is anything to go by, we're nigh-on guaranteed at least one of these bouts in 2013.

They'd be the standouts, but I wouldn't grumble too much at Matthysse-Garcia, Froch-Kessler II, Khan-Brook, Martinez-Golovkin or Marquez-Rios either, mind you!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down