The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad?

5 posters

Go down

Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad? Empty Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad?

Post by Taylorman Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Last week this showed was aired on Sky Rugby and Sport and has been played endlessly ever since.

A real insight into the weight placed on the shoulders of the key contributors leading up to and resulting in the WCup final win- Henry, Smith, Hansen. McCaw, Read and Conrad Smith fronted on behalf of the players.

One of the most disturbing things Ive seen was Henrys comments about the final few minutes when France were relentlessly phasing away looking for a penalty to have a chance of clinching he match.

He started thinking that this was looking like 2007 all over again.

What would Raewyn (his wife) think?
What would the kids think?
And the worst one- Can we ever live in this country again?

These the thoughts of a man we have all put our faith in to finally win the damn thing after so long.

While the rest of us were anticipating such a huge and memorable moment heres its main contributor having to contemplate a completely different life- possibly about to start in about 3 minutes.

For me it was a sickening reality and even though they know what the job brings it makes me embarrassed as a kiwi to think that we as a nation would have put him through this.

Thing is, its likely this would have happened had we lost. And GH, far more than anyone else, would have copped it big time. McCaw, Read and the players, and probably Smith and Hansen would have survived it, shaken it off and gone onto another year. Not Henry. He would have copped it big time.

I suppose I'm writing this post as a personal apology to one very great NZer for being part of making him feel like that in those final few seconds of what was to become his greatest achievement.

Reminds me how fickle us sports mad people can be...don't ya love it!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad? Empty Re: Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad?

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Taylorman

When I watched it I got the feeling that Ted was playing up to the cameras, with an added hint of exageration and smugness as his team had got over the line.

I also am not entirely convinced that the phone call to Stephen Donald went along the lines of "I hope your not doing anything next Saturday, cause your playing in the World cup final".....Me thinks at that point in time GH was a very worried man.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad? Empty Re: Weight of a Nation- Are we that bad?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:44 pm

I thought this was an article on how obese many NZers are. Turned out to be how obscene we can be.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Kia: What we are on about.

http://kerikerirugby.com/2012/the-weight-of-a-nation-all-black-documentary-full-video/

Compulsory viewing for any All Black supporter.

Last edited by aucklandlaurie on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 pm

Cheers Laurie.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Kia
I know us Aucklanders hog the limelight a bit, but there are two incidents covered in the doco especially for you Canterbury guys, the earthquake and the Hansen-v-Deans comments, tell us what you think...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Will give it a watch tomorrow morning. Off to see Falcao score some goals. But appreciate you sending the link. With the great man Henry you Aucklanders can justify hogging the limelight. Thankfully we didn't dump him in 2007.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I thought this was an article on how obese many NZers are. Turned out to be how obscene we can be.

Yes Kia obscenely obese people. Was a great doco though if you get to see it. Ted may have been playing up to the cameras (and hes become damned good at hat- stringing the media along with their tongues hanging out).

His praise of McCaw seemed sincere. And has there ever been anyone so humble as McCaw- every single bit of praise gets deflected back to the team. At the Tremain awards "4 times youve won this Ritchie"..."Yeah well when you're lucky enough to play with such a great bunch of guys"...Sometimes you feel like throttling the guy and for once perhaps see him jump up and declare "Yes and I'm glad I've finally buried that f$%^n Michael Jones comparison- I'm the man now Iceman!"

Wouldnt that be cool for a change? thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:37 pm

I didn't see the tv show. But, I have a different take on this. Based upon what you wrote, I have no problem about the pressure of the job. This is top level sport. In a sporting context, the highest risk and the highest potential reward. Pretty much goes with the territory. I would not feel bad for him personally had the ABs lost. Graham Henry knew the exact size and shape of the noose into which he placed his head. if he didn't want the pressure, there is a convent he could have joined instead.

On the other hand, I recently saw in the US an article mentioning a death threat made against a college level basketball coach or player.
College level.
Death threat.
This is a whole different thing. Anyone who goes so far as to make a death threat about sport should be thrown into a deep dark cell.
Forever.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Laugh We Cantabs are too classy to say something like that.

He probably genuinely believes Jones is the man. I know I do. McCaw is the better leader though and brings the team together. Hope we get to see McCaw at 6 and a young 7 come in. Both are absolute legends and it's our privilege to call them our own and follow them throughout their careers.

Doc I don't think you've seen the ugly side of Kiwis after defeat. John Hart being spat on at the races in Christchurch for example. Lord knows what privately goes on with hate mail etc. Criticism is one thing but the goldfish bowl mentality makes people overreact far beyond what is acceptable.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Seen it many times Doc. John Hart had death threats against him when he didnt win the 99 cup- even though we were clearly behind Oz back then,

Bryce Lawrence after the SA Oz game last year. And remember that Columbian goal keeper who actually was killed on return for letting a goal in- though I think that was due to a lost bet.

Its not just the presence of a death threat. Its the inevitable gradual public dismemberment of ones character that leaves a persistent mat of gloom, misery and anger at your doorstep every day. That would make you want to leave the country wouldnt it?Would me...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Oh and Wayne Barnes...heard he peed a couple of kiwis off at some point as well... boxing

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Wayne Barnes is considered the best ref in France......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:22 pm

OK. A poor joke. Currently in a doc's office. Will get back soon.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:09 pm

The short answer is YES,every RWC since 1987 the All Blacks have been the best side in the world more or less BETWEEN RWC`s.Graham Henry was in a unique position THE only Coach to get a second bite of the cherry.
Pressure and selection problems among others meant the chokers jibe,The 3 wise men by the record were very succsessful.
To have discarded the 3Ns which COULD have been won in SA with the full team then played the stiffs in the last game.To do that and NOT win a RWC at Home would really have done it.
Truth is the train spotters don`t recognize 1987,and there are doubts because of the narrow home win in 2011 as TRUE RWC holders.
Me as you know THE only measure for me is head to head,you could argue England are now WorldChampions until beaten.
Henry and co.were a great Coaching set up but the 2009 thing would have reared its ugly head again.
Me I expect them to WIN every match wherever,obviously when they don`t I mourn and congrtulate the winning side.
BUT such is my faith the Blackness will rise again as it always has maybe not today ,or tomorrow but long term.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:28 pm

That France match in 2009 in Marseille can't be understated in terms of the confidence it gave the side. It's one of the most complete games of attacking rugby I have seen. Everything just clicked.

Can't get over the crazy scheduling of the last 3N games so close to the RWC. Those two losses in a row probably did us a world of good. Australia seemed to suffer from overconfidence against Ireland and that ultimately put them in our half of the tournament. That shutout was the best performance I have seen from a NZ side of negating a side and not giving them any chance.

So much tension in these tournaments. Add that to the backdrop of the mine disaster and the earthquake, Read's injury and not knowing whether he'd be back for the big games and then Carter out again. Then Slade and then Cruden. Have to feel for Carter. Then McCaw's foot problem. The doubters certainly became a lot more vocal and I guess they had good reason.

I hope now the weight of a nation has been lifted to some extent and the players approach 2015 without that fear and feel able to express themselves. Wishful thinking as they will always have pressure on them. But I think it was such a moment of release and the win emptied us of emotion. But it felt gloody bood afterwards. Thanks again for the link. It's cold, grey and depressing here in Madrid. I feel nostalgic for a Christchurch Christmas!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Kia ora Kia, I thought you might like it....as for everyone down here its slap on sunscreen slap on a hat and go out in the boat, last Friday I caught a couple of good snapper (and I'm a useless fisherman).

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down