The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread!

+10
prop_lyd
The Mangler US_UK
Colan (niner)
GSC
crazy_dave23
Bull
mikeygnfl
CFCNick
Number-25
Good Golly I'm Olly
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread! Empty Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread!

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

Well the playoffs are here, and we have got some real humdingers in the wildcard weekend!

First up we have Houston at home to Cincy in a rematch of last year's playoff! I'm taking Cincy in this one for a couple of reasons. I like how the D matches up against Houston's offence, and I think Adkins will cause Houston no end of problems. Schaub's first playoff game as well, and I don't rate him that highly personally. I think if Dalton can play well Cincy pick up the win in this one.

Next we have Green Bay against Minnesota. Despite the Vikes picking up a huge win last week I can't see them replicating the performance this week in Lambeau. I see Green Bay going up early, then Minnesota has to go to Ponder and he can't go blow for blow with Rodgers on Rodgers's home patch in my opinion.

Sunday kicks off with the Colts heading back to Baltimore for potentially Ray Lewis's final ever NFL game, and his lats in Baltimore (I think). Tough one to choose this one because I have a gut feeling the Colts might pull it off, but the matchups with Ray Rice and it being Lewis's final home game make me pick Baltimore. Flacco at home as well is usually decent.

Finally we have the Seahawks going to the Redskins in a battle of the rookie QB's. I like Seattle a lot in this one. I think there secondary matches up well against Washington's receivers and I think Washington will still give up a big play every now and again which Seattle love to do. RG3 isn't fully fit and lot depends on Alfred Morris having another big game for Washington to get through for me, but I take Seattle.

What do you guys think?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread! Empty Re: Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread!

Post by Number-25 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

I've gone same as you here Olly:-

Bengals
Pack
Baltimore
Seattle

Went for Bengals because their on a tear right now having won 7 of 8 while Houston have gone a bit flat over the last month. I like to go with the team that has momentum when it comes to the playoffs and one of the high seeds often gets knocked out early so if there's going to be a "shock" then I think this is it. Not that I think it would be that much of a shock though.

Pack will be too good for Minnesota at home in a game that really matters to them. They won't be happy that AP ran all over them last week so that should provide some motivation.

Baltimore and Flacoo are a different team at home and the Ray Lewis retiring thing will give them all the motivation they need to win this one. Could be a long afternoon for Luck and his Colts I think.

Redskins/Seahawks is the closest match up to decide I think. Both have bags of momentum and the offenses are almost a mirror image of each other. Seahawks defense is better if you look at the numbers and go with the hype but the Redskins' defense has improved a lot over the last 7 weeks and its numbers suffer from the dreadful start it had. It's prob not as good or as talented as the Seahawks D but it's a defense that I think matches up very well against this Seattle offense - it defends very well against the run and it confuses QBs which could be a problem for a team playing a rookie QB - Wilson is going to get a lot of looks this weekend that he has never seen before. I've picked Seattle because I've learned over the years that it's best to pessimistic when it comes to the Redskins as it's better to be left feeling surprised when they give you a win rather than let down when they give you a loss!!! I think however, that you can make a convincing case for either team to win this game. I'm not quite sure why but people seem to have fallen in love with Russell Wilson and have forgotten about RG3 and the fine body of work that he has put together right from Day 1 in his NFL career. They've also been seduced by the Seahawks D and forgotten about the big improvements that the Redskins D has made. One last point - turnover differential - the Redskins don't turn the ball over and are good at creating turnovers. In a pretty even match up, that might be something that proves crucial.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread! Empty Re: Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread!

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

I agree with all your points Number-25 and I think this Seattle/Washington matchup is so hard to call because both teams have been so so similar.

Neither really gives it away very much and both defences are good. Two factors are maybe Seattle travelling from the West Coast to the East could influence it, and I think Seattle is maybe the more physical team.

Definately the hardest one to pick for me.

I really really like Cincy to beat Houston. If Dalton can just play a decent game (like Pittsburgh away) I think Cincy will win
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:36 pm

Yep, like you, I really like the Bengals in that one - their big strength on offense is the passing game. Houston's biggest weakness on an otherwise good defense is the secondary. That, combined with the momentum that each team is carrying into the playoffs spells trouble for Houston. Like you say, as long as Dalton is solid, then I think the Bengals win this.

I think people could go back and forwards all day on the Redskins/Seahawks game and I don't think anyone would be right or wrong. The more I read what the "experts" are saying about it the more I find myself talking up the Redskins chances because I'm getting a bit fed up with the hype around Wilson and the Seahawks D while Griffin and the Redskins D haven't been too bad of late either. I don't get the impression that too many people outside of Washington are expecting the Redskins to win.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:27 pm

Love the quote from Rodgers:

"You earn your paycheck in the regular season. You create your legacy in the postseason."
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:35 am

Uh oh.... the Redskins' Kedric Golston has apparently called Richard Sherman "a cheater". Can't imagine that will go down too well.....

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:52 am

Wildcard Weekend Discussion Thread! A_zoBruCMAAsC2b

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 05 Jan 2013, 3:21 am

I was just looking at the divisional standings and how the playoffs would look if only the divisional games counted.

AFC
Byes:- Patriots & Broncos
Wildcards:- Texans, Ravens, Colts & Chargers

NFC
Byes:- Redskins & Packers
Wildcards:- Rams, Saints (on points difference), Vikings & 49ers.

On another note the average seed of the two Super Bowl teams over the past ten years has been 2 in the AFC and 2.8 in the NFC.

If that is how it works out this year then the New England Patriots will face off against the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:58 am

Chargers in the playoffs Laugh

I certainly hope that is how it works out this year Mikey! A Brady vs Rodgers Super Bowl would be pretty intense
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

i hope not , dont want the pats or packers anywhere near the SB
tired of seeing them, lets have some one new.

then again im a grumpy bears fan. lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

So you're rooting for the RG3-Luck Super Bowl?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm

yeah why not lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

Here are some wildcard head-to-head stats:-

Cincinnati Bengals vs Houston Texans
The Texans lead 4-3 on head-to-heads including a 31-10 at the same stage last year.

Averages scores based on those seven encounters would see the game play out as Bengals 20-22 Texans.

Indianapolis Colts vs Baltimore Ravens
The Colts have dominated the Ravens 9-3 in head-to-heads since the Baltimore franchise started out including two playoff wins in 2007 and 2010.

The Colts lead 8-2 in the 10 most recent games and the average scores in them games work out as Colts 23-15 Ravens.

Minnesota Vikings vs Green Bay Packers
The Packers lead the Vikings 54-49 in head-to-heads with 1 tie. The Vikings won the only playoff meeting between the two teams.

The Packers lead 6-4 over the last 10 meetings and the average scores in those games works out as Vikings 23-29 Packers.

Seattle Seahawks vs Washington Redskins
The Redskins lead the Seahawks 11-6 however the Seahawks have won both of their previous playoff meetings.

The Redskins lead 6-4 in the last 10 games between the two sides with the average scores over them 10 games working out as Seahawks 19-19 Redskins or Seahawks 19.4-18.9 Redskins.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

I like the average points per last 10 games against each other stats there!

Of course Indy is a little bit of an oddity due to Peyton!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Really do fancy the Bengals today!!!

Should be a cracking game, and later the weather in Lambeau is a bit dodgy according to reports!

Ponder might not even be fit! We might see some Joe Webb!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

The Green Bay Packers have the 4th lowest amount of missed tackles this season with 67 tackles missed (I think it's 67, it's around that number)

25% of those tackles missed have come against Adrian Peterson
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Jan 2013, 7:58 pm

Packers have only lost 2 playoff games in Lambeau
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

Right guys I'm on the chatbox!

C'mon you Bengals!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm

If Joe Webb plays, he wil get a rush td of over 50 yards. The guy is an RG3 type athlete, youtube his standing vertical, scary. Not ideal if he plays but GB wouldn't have been expecting to face such a big running threat or big arm at qb

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:39 pm

Good start for the Cincy defence
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:42 pm

Olly wrote:Good start for the Cincy defence

Ditto Houston Smile

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:47 pm

Can Domata Peko have any more hair on his face?

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:48 pm

I love it! What a lad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm

Pick six!!!!

My god Cincy needed that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm

Hmmm, has Andy Dalton really only thrown for 3 yards in the first half??? In all my years watching football I've never seen such a pitiful stat line! Somehow though, they're still in this game.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:11 pm

Quote Mike Mayock regarding the Bengals -6 passing yards in the first half

"U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi, it's ugly!"

EPIC QUOTE

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:12 pm

lol gotta love Mayock!

Big drive for Cincy this. Need to get something going
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:16 pm

And they go 3 and out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:39 am

Houston will go to NE next week and Ravens/Colts will play to go to Denver.

Cincy played as badly as they could and Houston squeaked home. I don't give them much chance tbh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:41 am

Andrew Luck vs Peyton Manning would be interesting.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 2:06 am

Leslie Frazer's gone all Cam Cameron and seems to be using AP sparingly!

Give him the ball for god's sake
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 2:25 am

You let me down Cincinnati and made me look like a fool!!! Let's hope Seattle do likewise and I'm on here celebrating a Redskins win tomorrow.....

That was a seriously bad Bengals performance.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 06 Jan 2013, 2:31 am

Looks like the Seahawks and Redskins will be playing for a trip to Atlanta
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 2:34 am

Too true. With Webb at QB, Minnesota can only win this if AP carries the ball 30+ times. Trouble is, Green Bay also know that so AP isn't going to find much room to run. Impossible situation for Minnesota but one which might make them appreciate Ponder and which shows the value in making sure you have a very good back up QB.

Redskins drafting two QBs in the first four rounds of the same draft anyone????

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 2:38 am

Joe Webb - 3 of 12 for 22 yards at the half. Yikes!!

Incredibly though, those stats are still better than Dalton's halftime stats!!! Even bigger yikes!!

Gotta feel sorry for Vikings fans. All that good work to get to the playoffs only to end up on a hiding to nothing once you get there.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Sun 06 Jan 2013, 7:26 am

GB did a great job in denying Peterson the edge by bringing people up. When Peterson rips off a long run, it's usually when he gets the edge. GB approached it differently last week.

Sadly, I had AP as one of my RBs for my playoff fantasy team.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:23 pm

Well I hope today's games are better than yesterday's
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

Oh and today will be Ray Lewis's last game in Baltimore and possibly ever.

Might also be Ed Reed's last game in Baltimore.

With Cincy out Baltimore will have to go through Denver and New England/Houston to make the big stage
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

Ok that Ray Lewis entrance has got me pumped up!! If Luck can somehow pull it off today he's just incredible
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 8:39 pm

I know its the Colts run D, but I'm afraid that Bernard Pierce has been a bit good today and i'm fearful for a bit more of a timeshare with Mr Rice next year #KeeperLeagueTroubles

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm

Haha I don't think it's gonna happen lol

Colts tried to hang with them but in the end just couldn't pull it off
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm

I said a "bit more of a..." not a full on timeshare Smile

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:23 pm

Well Pierce has gone down on the scouting list as a potential "sleeper" draft choice for me in fantasy next season. Him and Jacquizz Rodgers only at the moment though Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:55 pm

Nice start by the Redskins. Bit of everything in that drive. Especially good to see Morris running well again. Royster would be the last person the Seahawks were expecting that ball to go to on the TD. Very early days yet though!!! Keep it up Skins!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

Anyone know the times for next weeks games/when they'll be announced? Need to plan my weekend round the Pack!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

I know the Pats-Houston are the late game on Sunday same time as this game.

Denver-Baltimore is the Saturday game at this time.

So Pack are either Saturday late late one or Sunday early
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm

Green Bay is late Saturday (Sunday 1am)

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm

That's great thanks guys!! Late night for me Sat then!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm

Yeah I'm pretty happy the Pats are on at a decent time so I don't lose too much sleep!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:35 pm

Olly wrote:Yeah I'm pretty happy the Pats are on at a decent time so I don't lose too much sleep!!!

I'm the reverse... not happy... two 1am games now!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next