The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!!

+13
jimdig
Lumbering_Jack
EdWoodjr
bhb001
superflyweight
manos de piedra
Mr Bounce
Super D Boon
ShahenshahG
88Chris05
Union Cane
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Go down

Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!! Empty Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

1. Jess Willard.....
2. Larry Holmes...
3. Jack Sharkey..
4. Trevor Berbick
5. Frank Bruno....

Wonder If old frank is still moaning about the small-pin-money 6 million dollar paycheck he got for surrendering against Tyson in the most pitiful performance by an ex-champion since Walcott-Marciano 2???????????........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!! Empty Re: Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!!

Post by milkyboy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

1. Larry Holmes
2. L Holmes
3. Mr Holmes
4. Holmes, L
5. Larry bigpants

As for poor old frank, you'd be bitter too, if you had to spend your christmas on stage saying 'ho ho ho, where's harry' repeatedly just to pay your shrink's bills

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!! Empty Re: Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!!

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Looks like Larry is selling up...

http://www.larryholmes.com/For_Sale.html

Perhaps you could help him out Truss?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Ha ha ha.....You're a naught boy Milky!!

After people paid big money to see Tyson-Bruno 2..The pantomine wasn't Aladdin and the "forty thieves" by any chance??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

To be fair, Bruno's £1.5 million pay day against Tyson didn't really represent any significant improvement on the purses he received for boxing Lewis and Witherspoon, both smaller fights and both in which he was the challenger, rather than champion. It's all relative, I guess. I'd give Jackie Stallone (which is basically just Sly in a dress) a full body wash for a tiny little fraction of that, but in Bruno's case, you can half-understand why he felt a little hard done by. Mind you, you're right in saying that his actual performance, unusually for him, fell well short of what might have been expected.

I'm amazed that Jack Johnson hasn't made your list. He was bitter during his reign ("I won't fight them coloured boys no more. I gave them boys a chance before I was champion - why should I give it to them now?"). Erm, perhaps because failing to do so makes you something of a hypocrite, Mr Johnson! He must have been the only American black who wasn't proud of Louis, too, and went to his (sadly premature) grave insisting that he threw the fight against Willard which, to me, looks more and more dubious a claim with every reading / viewing.

Anyway, as Milky says, Holmes must be top. I'm hoping that Larry's famous "I never lost a fight!" interview rant gets posted back on YouTube soon!

Holmes: "I was never beaten, never. I'm the greatest Heavyweight of all time, and I never lost a fight. The judges robbed me against Spinks to save Marciano's precious record, and I was also robbed against Holyfield and McCall."

Interviewer: "But Tyson knocked you out, Larry."

Holmes: "I never lost a fight, not in my whole life. I was robed against Spinks, Holyfield and McCall. I'd beat any Heavyweight in history. I retired as the undefeated Heavyweight champion of the world!"

Interviewer: "But Larry, Tyson beat you inside the distance."

Holmes: "Everyone knows I was robbed in those fights. I never lost....."

And on and on it went!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

Bruno got more than that...Tyson got 21 million...............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

How much did spinks get against Tyson?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

Spinks was the linear champion and was a great fighter.............

Think whatever more than Bruno he got...he more than deserved..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:00 pm

That was a worse performance than Franks, at least he manage to hit Tyson Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:01 pm

Didn't cross himself twenty times though beforehand........

Don cockell probably hit Marciano more than Louis did so what????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

Just wondering why Frank gets it in the neck and Spinks doesnt

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:08 pm

Henry Cooper (well a champion of sorts) should make the list. Got so bitter and twisted at Joe Bugner, the poor Hungarian import that Bugs had to emigrate to Australia!

Cooper, despite being lauded as an old fashioned hero was a bleating old fool for a lot of his retirement.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:09 pm

Because Frank isn't a legend maybe????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

Cooper is an ex-heavyweight champion is he???

Not talking about lowly-British titles here...

Or German ones If we hadn't of given you money during the war!! Cool Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

So when a good but not great fighter disgraces himself its worse than a legend disgracing himself?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:13 pm

Spinks deserved his payday because he was the first reigning light heavy to become heavyweight champ...and beat a great to do it!!!

So what If he got knocked out early....

Why does Frank deserve a s""t load of bucks????

because he beat a nutcase when Holyfield was the other CHAMPION!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:19 pm

neither of them deserved much truss... but gotta say i'm with shah here. Frank may have crossed himself like a priest on amphetamine, but spinks was the the most terrified i have ever seen a fighter. He completey froze. He was a great fighter, but it was sad to see him so petrified. He was pathetic that night.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

I'm talking about deserving the payday..

Spinks-Tyson was one of the biggest fights in history!! "once and for all"

Spinks brought his legend status to the table and his linear title!!!

What did Bruno bring to deserve a big payday?????????????????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm talking about deserving the payday..

Spinks-Tyson was one of the biggest fights in history!! "once and for all"

Spinks brought his legend status to the table and his linear title!!!

What did Bruno bring to deserve a big payday?????????????????

The title Truss, however watered down it was.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:30 pm

He got a decent payday....3-6 million..but it didn't stop him moaning about it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

How much moaning did he really do though, Truss? In the build up to the fight, he made reference to it a few times (which, in hindsight, was probably a worrying sign) but I don't really recall him taking umbrage to it in retirement? In fact, the couple of times I've been lucky enough to meet him, or when I've seen him interviewd since, he's always acknowledged how blessed he was to earn so well from the sport.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Cooper is an ex-heavyweight champion is he???

Not talking about lowly-British titles here...

Or German ones If we hadn't of given you money during the war!! Cool Cool

Yes Cooper was an ex heavyweight champion. British, Commonwealth and European. You never said they had to be World Champions.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:48 pm

Liston possibly is worth a shout. He was notoriously unpopular although much of his frustration stemmed from what he believed was the black communitys rejection of him as worthy of any support and a bad representative of the black population in America when Floyd Patterson was being championed as a black role model.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

Frazier was pretty bitter (albeit he probably had more of a claim to be bitter than most of the other others).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:53 pm

Joe Frazier - Kept up his spat with Ali til literally the end. Always felt he should be remembered as being as great as Ali was. Bleated on fairly recently about champs being no good and too many belts.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Joe Frazier - Kept up his spat with Ali til literally the end. Always felt he should be remembered as being as great as Ali was. Bleated on fairly recently about champs being no good and too many belts.

Kind of what we do here on a daily basis!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:14 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:How much did spinks get against Tyson?

About $17 million if I remember right.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

If Frank was the champ how did Tyson earn more? Was it a voluntary defence?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

No - AZ slave contract by the son of god Don King. Bruno got the shot against Mccall if he signed to fight Tyson in his next. Thats why there were some mumurings that Mccall was instructed to lose so Tyson could look spectacular in taking out Frank wheras he would be punching Mccall in the head all night and the nutty Bar Steward would just laugh em off.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:53 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:How much did spinks get against Tyson?

About $17 million if I remember right.

I guess that helps sweeten the embarrassment of pooping your pants in front of millions

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm

Ali has to be on the list. Bitter every single time he wasn't champ. I'd put him no.2 behind super Larry. Noone touches lemon Larry.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm

If any 606er says they go to walk and give everything each and everyday then 606 has a liar. We go to work and some days we don't do ourselves justice, on them days, we don't go to our bosses and ask for less money.

We turn up and we get paid irrespective of our performance, just like Frank (and spinks)
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:24 am

When I go to walk, I always try my best.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:42 am

Top 5 most bitter Ex-Heavyweight Champions !!!! 1710857839
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:51 am

Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 05 Jan 2013, 5:13 am

Audley Harrison must be bitter. He won the WBF heavyweight title but just never gets the credit he truly deserves.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 6:33 am

milkyboy wrote:1. Larry Holmes
2. L Holmes
3. Mr Holmes
4. Holmes, L
5. Larry bigpants

As for poor old frank, you'd be bitter too, if you had to spend your christmas on stage saying 'ho ho ho, where's harry' repeatedly just to pay your shrink's bills

You have to agree with milkyboy on this one, Larry should have been christened lemon... Bitter young man and a bitter old man, but Bruno...? I've met him on a couple of occasions and he didn't complain one iota in regards to the amount of money he'd eared from the sport. In fact, far from it, he talked about how it had given him so much.

Bruno is only on the list for one sole reason... a poor attempt at winding up the Limey's, but we're not bitter... but Larry most certainly is.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 05 Jan 2013, 9:11 am

Limey's not bitter, like it ratboy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 05 Jan 2013, 11:58 am

Its got to be Joe Frazier. What an incredibly bitter man he was. He never forgave Ali for beating him and he showed the true extent of his bitterness by claiming credit for Ali suffering Parkinsons.

Haye is also extremelly bitter. Still complaining about an injured toe when he is actually just a hype job heavyweight who managed to fool people who dont understand boxing that he was a great boxer.

I would also say Klitschko but he is not an ex champion thanks to how bad the division is these days.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:36 pm

Well if you've met him twice he can't be bitter can he???

Read his book.....Then again don't there are some words with more than four letters in it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm

"What a jerk!!"

This coming from a guy who thinks top 10 Rocky Marciano is pants..

get lost..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

Joe Frazier is a good call................

Tommy Burns turned his back on Boxing a la Howard cosell..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down